Klopp to leave Liverpool at the end of the season

90 + 5min

Rodgers took a midtable Liverpool team to a slip away from the league title in one season. You make it sound Klopp took over a relegation threatened team.
Where did I say that? I was making a point that it was not always great when he took over. There was both up and downs and it took time before he got it right. But still he lacks that amount trophies when you consider how much credit he gets.

Werd.

I would argue while managing an English team Klopp has won more with less.
So do we then downsize SAF and Pep's achievements too?

I'm just going by a simple metric - trophies won.

Hammondo

So do we then downsize SAF and Pep's achievements too?

I'm just going by a simple metric - trophies won.
I'm not sure what you mean by that, why would we downsize saf and peps achievements?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Built the best team the EPL has ever seen on a shoestring budget. Not backed by the oil moguls or the organic riches of United.
Surely in the conversation with SAF?

Don't bite...is he feck.
He is in a conversation with SAF alright, during which SAF told him he is bang average and not a world class manager.

RedRocket9908

The amount of publicity this announcement has generated is ridiculous, why have we got national newspapers dedicating 7 or 8 pages to this with some even plasyering it all over there front page when there are a lot of other things going on in the world that are bigger news than Liverpool's manager stepping down.

Hammondo

"Klopp has won more with less".

I'm assuming you are referring to money spent?
Yes, I see your point. To a certain degree winning when spending less is always going to look better.

Though it doesn't mean that if they spent more they could transfer it to effective value.

For me SAF and Pep are just ahead of everyone else by a mile, Klopp is next, them Mourinho. Though maybe I'm being unfair on Mourinho and he and Klopp should be equal.

I always make the argument that judging players who have finished their career with players who have not is unfair. A player who has finished their career you have seen their best and worst, probably not true of the player still playing.

Obviously Mourinho is still managing but he's seen his best, and plenty of lower moments. Klopp hasn't had that part of his career yet.

Same applies with SAF, SAF didn't keep up with things so well in the last few seasons, but we are usually comparing him to managers who have not come close to that part of their career yet, and they will.

Hammondo

He would be a fecking brilliant England manager. But winning the world cup with a German manager would be like having three wonderful children with an actual full time whore.
Jesus Christ, what is wrong with you?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Xabi is doing well for the first time in his entire lifetime as a manager in freaking Bundesliga and suddenly he is the second coming of Jesus. Have you ever seen Tuchel, Lampard, Potter, Villas Boas, and many more...?

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
That's fair enough, but I really don't see the point of adding the insults, it doesn't reflect well on anyone.

The added problem though is that we might be competing with Liverpool for certain managers.
You don't see the point in a United fan on a United forum making mild insults about Liverpool FC? Are you new to football rivalry? ;)

Hammondo

You don't see the point in a United fan on a United forum making mild insults about Liverpool FC? Are you new to football rivalry? ;)
No, I'm 37 and have always supported United but I don't get why people throw insults like that, it's just fake.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Yeah I put his name. It's just Sir Alex, Pep and Klopp who have built sides who managed to win the league and the CL. They become the top 3 because of that. Mourinho and Wenger failed to do so.
Klopp doesn't even begin next to Mou and Wenger

Hammondo

I've been a United fan for 43 years. I can't stand the horrible twats and I assure you it's far from fake.
I can't imagine you care that much about Klopp, he's hardly controversial, he's just been good and passionate. He's like any other top manager, just like Pep, Mourinho, and SAF.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
He's a top manager. I'm talking about my dislike for that particular club and a certain section of their fanbase

Hammondo

He's a top manager. I'm talking about my dislike for that particular club and a certain section of their fanbase
But the chat was about him managing England, he would instantly be one of our best managers ever, maybe the best.

RedRocket9908

For me SAF and Pep are just ahead of everyone else by a mile, Klopp is next, them Mourinho. Though maybe I'm being unfair on Mourinho and he and Klopp should be equal.
Putting the over-rated Pep in the same sentence as Sir Alex is completely disrespectful to Sir Alex and what he achieved in his career.

Pep has made himself look a lot better than he is by only ever managing clubs where there is already a top squad and a virtually unlimited transfer kitty for him to buy any player he wants, he would never have succeeded at a club like Aberdeen like Sir Alex did.

Hammondo

Putting the over-rated Pep in the same sentence as Sir Alex is completely disrespectful to Sir Alex and what he achieved in his career.

Pep has made himself look a lot better than he is by only ever managing clubs where there is already a top squad and a virtually unlimited transfer kitty for him to buy any player he wants, he would never have succeeded at a club like Aberdeen like Sir Alex did.
There is a certain amount of myth to that. Yes city has had a big squad which helps a lot, but his first 11 has never been that expensive, he's not bought huge superstar and often given up on players if they proved to be too expensive. Liverpool did the same tactic of buying a lot of players that are not that expensive, and SAF was similar.

mu4c_20le

Would you have Klopps best Liverpool side to beat Mourinho's best Chelsea side with Robben Drogba etc? I am not sure I would. I mean Klopps Liverpool has been -ridiculous- and it's quite embarassing how much better they've been than us at times, but I'd still have that Mourinho side to take them.
How many titles would his best Chelsea side win against Peps City?

Not a single one I would imagine.

RedRocket9908

There is a certain amount of myth to that. Yes city has had a big squad which helps a lot, but his first 11 has never been that expensive, he's not bought huge superstar and often given up on players if they proved to be too expensive. Liverpool did the same tactic of buying a lot of players that are not that expensive, and SAF was similar.
There is no myth in it, he has bought stars like KDB, Haaland, Rodri, Walker, Stones, Gvardiol, Grealish, Bernardo Silva, Aymeric Laporte, Ruben Dias, Joao Cancelo, and more all for huge fees and despite inheriting a squad with that had just reached the Champions League Semi Final and players like David Silva, Vincent Kompany, and Sergio Aguero who were already World Class he still took 8 years and £1.5bn of new players to win a Champions League.

Abizzz

:houllier::lol:

I wanted to give a more detailed response but I can't formulate anything more fitting than those two smileys.

Hammondo

There is no myth in it, he has bought stars like KDB, Haaland, Rodri, Walker, Stones, Gvardiol, Grealish, Bernardo Silva, Aymeric Laporte, Ruben Dias, Joao Cancelo, and more all for huge fees and despite inheriting a squad with that had just reached the Champions League Semi Final and players like David Silva, Vincent Kompany, and Sergio Aguero who were already World Class he still took 8 years and £1.5bn of new players to win a Champions League.
Those were not big stars when he bought them, and they were not for big fees

He's spent a bit more than us, and we have spent a bit more than Liverpool.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'll just keep it simple. As it stands, Mourinho has achieved more than Klopp in England. It's upto Klopp to best that.

Both are great managers and have impacted English football greatly. Everything else for me is white noise.
How has Mourinho achieved more? While managing Chelsea, he never made them the best in Europe. His goal was to win the league and the Champions League. He only achieved one of these targets. Klopp achieved both of them, therefore Klopp built a team that reached a higher level than Mourinho did while in charge of a premier league side.

Yes, point totals, net spend and all that is white noise... It's fair context, if you want, but even ignoring them and looking at the facts - Mourinho didn't achieve all his targets while in charge of an English club, while Klopp did. I'm sure Mourinho would trade away his 2 extra league titles for a champions league title with Chelsea, because that means he'd have "completed" all his targets while in charge of an English club.

My point was there is always an element of luck when winning cup finals. Liverpool came up against Spurs and won, would the outcome have been the same if they faced Madrid instead? Yet, here you are downplaying Di Matteo's CL win as a fluke. Luck is required to win cups.

Anyway, will move on now.
Looking at their run, they knocked out both Barca and Bayern in their path to the final. Barca finished 19 points ahead of Real Madrid that year.

Of course you need luck to win it. But the best managers who achieve the best things, get over the line in both the champions league and the league. It's not even winning it in the same season, it's simply building a team who has done both. It's a tiny list of managers because it's an extremely hard thing to do which only the very best sides throughout English football history have done.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Me: mum, can we have rimaldo
Mum: we have rimaldo at home
rimaldo at home:

He would be a fecking brilliant England manager. But winning the world cup with a German manager would be like having three wonderful children with an actual full time whore.

TheReligion

Abusive
The love some of our ‘fans’ have for the manager of our biggest rival is bizarre.

Respect the bloke, sure, but this constant licking the man’s arsehole is most unpleasant.

You odd feckers.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Yes? Mourinho's biggest draw was always "95 points"... Klopp got 99 and 97 points with his sides. Klopp won the league & the Champions League, Mourinho never won the CL with an English side.
Mourinho's biggest draw was always winning the CL with unfacied sides not once but twice.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
The love some of our ‘fans’ have for the manager of our biggest rival is bizarre.

Respect the bloke, sure, but this constant licking the man’s arsehole is most unpleasant.

You odd feckers.
There are a lot of gloryhunting fans from abroad such as myself for whom the rivarly is "learned" but does not come naturally.

For example, I always liked Klopp and think he is the best or second-best active manager (after Mourinho). If he took charge of Red Star Belgrade (haha like that would happen), I would start despising him, as I am surrounded by Red Star fans and have an organic dislike for anything Red Star.

All in all, it will be nice for me when he leaves and I can get back to being a good gloryhunter and dislike everything Liverpool, like before.

Moriarty

You odd feckers.
I don't get that either. We respected Shankly and Paisley both but when they were managing the dippers, we wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire.

cyberman

No but he got an article in the Liverpool Echo.
Klopp is the king of not winning but somehow getting shared credit with the actual winners. I still remember Pep having to remind reporters that City won the trophies and it wasn’t a combined triumph

Moriarty

Klopp is the king of not winning but somehow getting shared credit with the actual winners. I still remember Pep having to remind reporters that City won the trophies and it wasn’t a combined triumph
It's irrational how some United fans think Klopp is the best thing since sliced bread. I once got banned on here for making a joke about him. Things ain't what they use to be.