Klopp to leave Liverpool at the end of the season

crossy1686

career ending
Made my day. Week even.

But they will get Alonso or De Zerbi and carry on, I feel like.
I don't think they will. It's a poisoned chalice, like the United job after Fergie. Plus, we don't know what players are going to leave yet so why would you go in with the worst squad they've had in years and being the guy that 'isn't Klopp'

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Made my day. Week even.

Alonso has half a very good season in the Bundesliga to his name as a manager and De Zerbi is currently sat level on points with us while we're pretty much in meltdown.

Getting in whoever is currently hyped up is not going to guarantee they'll be able to follow Klopp there at all.

Pickle85

Best news I've had all week. Absolutely brilliant to see as he's a top manager. It really came from nowhere though so hope there's nothing serious triggering it.

redIndianDevil

Made my day. Week even.

Still a downgrade. Klopp made that team, without his tactics and training, it's only downhill. There are some very average players in their squad who look so good because of Klopp's tactics.

buchansleftleg

His announcement video looks like there are some sort of health concerns behind this, over and above the "tired" message.

On a personal level I hope it can be resolved by leading a less stressful life rather than something degenerative but something about that video makes me worry there is something more to come out about this.

(edit) - Just seen that all his staff are leaving too - that implies they are all joining him on a new project or all leaving in protest??)

Last edited:

Kaos

Made my day. Week even.

Slightly hopeful on my part, but I don't think thats necessarily the case. Some managers just don't make the cut at the highest level, no matter how impressive their exploits at smaller clubs. A lot of us (myself included) expected Ten Hag to be a near certain hit, and then you have the likes of Potter who've failed miserably. Could possibly add Naglesmann to that list too as a recent example, but you could make a point for his sacking being somewhat harsh and premature.

Castia

Liverpool will go up a gear for the rest of the season, win it for klopp etc...media will be all over them particularly praising the Liverpool fans then last game of the season City win the League in the 98th minute
Not sure about that they could easily completely collapse knowing the manager is off

Uncertainty is never a good motivator

ManUtd1999

Surprising, but good news.

But why announce these news now? Why not wait few more weeks?

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
True but there has been a few instances where the team has fallen at the last hurdle, where really he should have won.
Harsh. I think there are extremely few managers around that could take over Liverpool in the situation they were in and turn them into such a strong team. If they hadn't been competing against Guardiola and Manchester City, and we know how they got where they are, they would've racked up quite a lot more trophies during Klopps time.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Didn’t he get sacked at Dortmund?
Zidane and Simeone, too, right?

Anyway, shocking news. I really believed he would retire there. Hopefully, there's not a more serious health issue behind his decision.

I guess the friction against Pep and (well-spent) oil money can be too much even for the very best in the world.

Suv666

Best news I’ve heard in a long time. He’s a top manager and irreplaceable

crossy1686

career ending
Zidane and Simeone, too, right?

Anyway, shocking news. I really believed he would retire there. Hopefully, there's not a more serious health issue behind his decision.

I guess the friction against Pep and (well-spent) oil money can be too much even for the very best in the world.
He kind of is, he said he'd never manage again if you asked him now, but then went on to say he's taking at least a year sabbatical before he decides to return again.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Wow! Didn't see this coming :eek:

Reminds me of Sir Alex announcing his retirement midway through the 2002 season. We started to fall to pieces afterwards until he changed his mind.

Hopefully Klopp sticks to his guns on this one!

Coops73

Ratcliffe has got the feckers on the run, Pep already shitting his pants, he’ll be next.

Telsim

Alonso has half a very good season in the Bundesliga to his name as a manager and De Zerbi is currently sat level on points with us while we're pretty much in meltdown.

Getting in whoever is currently hyped up is not going to guarantee they'll be able to follow Klopp there at all.
There are never any guarantees, of course, but they have the advantage of a working club structure. Maybe they won't fill his shoes exactly, but could come up with something else, too. I feel like De Zerbi will be a good fit.

I really hope they tank, though. It will greatly please me.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Wow this was a shock. It’s going to be interesting who goes there. I’d bet on Alonso. Going to be easier for city now though as Liverpool were the only team that could go head to head with them.
Don’t think Guardiola will be far behind him tbh

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Wow! Didn't see this coming :eek:

Reminds me of Sir Alex announcing his retirement midway through the 2002 season. We started to fall to pieces afterwards until he changed his mind.

Hopefully Klopp sticks to his guns on this one!
That was my first thought. Until he is out, i will not believe it.

Rojofiam

He leaves as the 5th best Prem manager of all time, doesn't he?

No real argument against any of SAF, Pep, Mourinho or Wenger, but so far ahead of everybody else.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Guaranteed Klopp has found out City are not getting suitably punished and he's said feck this shit. Don't blame him.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Surprising, but good news.

But why announce these news now? Why not wait few more weeks?
premier league narrative. he’ll get even more favourable decisions now, so the pl marketing juggernaut gets its fairytale ending, after months of hype.

crossy1686

career ending
Guaranteed Klopp has found out City are not getting suitably punished and he's said feck this shit. Don't blame him.
So he's the first person in the world to find out this information and then fall on his sword in response? Why wouldn't he just say that in his leaving speech if it were remotely true?

Why do Liverpool fans always jump to conspiracy as the first cause of anything?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Factually true, but don’t forget the context of the criminal enterprise known as Manchester City that stood in the way of Liverpool winning more trophies during Klopp’s tenure.

Brilliant manager worthy of our respect, but those teeth are bizarre.
They’ve also stood in the way of us winning two premier leagues in the last 9 years under not all time great managers.
But yeah, it might save us having to be city fans towards the end of most seasons

FujiVice

He propped them up. Him and all his staff leaving, could see a downward spiral like we had in 2013. Their board is rotten.

BestRed

Ineos aren't feckin about, poaching people all over the place.

cyberman

Na, he sees United getting a hold of themselves and being a properly run club and got out to save himself.
jokes aside, didn’t he just get rid of whoever was in charge of your transfers so he’d have control of them when he signed this contract not that long ago? If so there’s a slight taste of fecking you over with this.
Not to the level of SAF having prime Ronaldo set for a move back and getting out before the move was made official

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Is he and Pep the only managers in the world to never get sacked? Pretty impressive to be in management for nigh on 20 years (slightly more than that for Klopp) and to have never been sacked by any club.
Surely not. Don't think ETH or Arteta have ever been sacked. Same with Zidane and Simeone.