2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Valencia Shin Crosses

Honestly, why do people on here have an incessant urge for the "I told you so" posts. No-one was genuinely laughing at you, people were urging caution to place such a huge burden on a completely untested player in the premier league.
I think because people (myself included) get very sick of seeing a young player, that's miles ahead of what we have in the squad in technical ability and skill, be forced to sit or have people say "he needs a loan to the Championship to get some minutes" or any other standard shit cliche. The attitude would probably be a bit different if we were topping the league and had a fully functioning side with excellent players all around but we aren't. And no one that has been crying out for Mainoo thinks he's instantly going to be Luka Modric and run the show every game, but it's quite obvious just watching him that he instantly improves us by just coming in and playing his normal game.

United fans seem to never be able to have a middle ground with youth players, either a forward scores on their debut and is the next Ronaldo, or they need 3 loans before ever getting a look into a very mediocre senior squad.

Conor

Honestly, why do people on here have an incessant urge for the "I told you so" posts. No-one was genuinely laughing at you, people were urging caution to place such a huge burden on a completely untested player in the premier league.
This forum runs on people rimming themselves to death over calls they make on players/managers.

Roboc7

Very encouraging debut, especially given Mctominay was so poor. When you see someone with his skill set they stand out so much in our team because we have been watching dross in midfield for years.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
He could easily keep Casemiro out the team for the rest of the season based on that performance. But young players are inconsistent.

AndyMUFC

Terrific performance, definitely has a lot of potential. It's the composure on the ball at such a young age which stands out, especially in a side that lacks so much of it.

Remember the geese

Brilliant player and we are only seeing a fraction of what he's capable of. Always had a chuckle when the doom-mongers were dismissing him because 'he's just some kid from the youth team'.

GiveItToGi...nowait

Nah. I believe when we see really special talent, we should all look forward to it, rather than holding back, taking passive approach and to "exercise extra caution". There were people here who argue he shouldn't even start as he is only 18 and all that. Don't think it is the right approach at all.
Someone once said if they’re good enough they’re old enough.

Ludens the Red

Quality player and a damning indictment of the players who were there alongside him in midfield. Showing desire to take the ball, being able to take the ball on the turn, show composure and calmness and make the correct pass. Something Mctominay and Bruno are incapable of doing through a 90 minute game.

GreatDane

He could easily keep Casemiro out the team for the rest of the season based on that performance. But young players are inconsistent.
I want him next to Casemiro, not instead of him. Those behind Bruno/Mount would be great.

ShinjiNinja26

This kid could be a mainstay in our midfield for the next 10-15 years. We need to mange him correctly and make sure our ambition as a club matches his talent. We can’t afford to let him end up anywhere else down the line.

flameinthesun

The other key thing with him is apart from the technical ability, he also has the size and physical frame. The next couple of years he will fill out even more and hopefully be even more physically imposing.

Glorio

That isn't true. The whole pre-season wasn't really great at all and while Mainoo certainly was a positive spark (but mostly because of his profile of being a youngling and a relative unknown entity), but it wasn't stellar or anything. And our performances didn't really have enough height to even do a nosedive.

He had a fantastic game tonight, really hope we will see more of him from now on. But lets keep it grounded. Not too long into the future and opponents will be prepared for him. Boxing him in, being physical whatever. Thats when we will see if he is something to build up from.
No one is saying how marvelous we were, but we were much worse after. I.e. a nosedive.
Had we even lost before that game?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Wonderful to see more academy and / or young players getting minutes today. Long may it continue.

Borninthe80ts

The exciting thing for me it’s that he can play any of the midfield to forward positions. So rather than him instead of, to me it’s that he can mix and match with anybody and compliment them in some way. Hopefully he can bring the balance we need.

Hester_manc

Perhaps a bit early to compare him with a player who has won CL 5 times and La Liga 3 times. But Mainoo sure looks like a future star.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Hmm we'll have to disagree, Casemiro ver.23/24 is rash, dives into tackles and bombs forward ahead of the ball, I no longer see him as a DM tbh. Not in a United shirt.

But this is a Mainoo thread so that's a discussion for another thread.
I think Casemiro was hung out to dry by ETH 4141 setup, but even on a bad form he positions himself well and wins a lot of tackles. The problem is there is no "right" position if you're playing in midfield on your own, so it's still better to have a mobile player there than current version of Casemiro.

Defensively Mainoo reminds me a bit of Fred, they both get involved in a lot of defensive actions because of their energy and tenacity, but it will happen they will not position themselves correctly just to cut off a passing option or just make it difficult to progress the ball (see Rodri type of DM). This is not a problem but the bottomline is I think he should not have a very restricted position. What he brings when we're in possession is the real deal.

As crazy as it might sound, on paper Casemiro-Mainoo-Mount could be the most balanced midfield setup. I would love to see it as I am tired of McTominay and Bruno, and Amrabat I hope is used as little as possible.

The exciting thing for me it’s that he can play any of the midfield to forward positions. So rather than him instead of, to me it’s that he can mix and match with anybody and compliment them in some way. Hopefully he can bring the balance we need.
Like in the paragraph above.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I thought he was good but how people are giving him MOTM is beyond me. He gave the ball away a lot and didn't really do anything special. He kept it simple, which is good, and he worked hard. I want to see more of him, but I think people are getting carried away here and are going to end up putting unrealistic expectations on him if we are giving him 8/10 for a 6/10 performance.
I think you need a visit to Specsavers, he was the best player on the pitch

HJ12

I would actually like to see how he works alongside Casemiro, with Scott giving way. I think we'll gain so much more control in games with this way.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Perhaps a bit early to compare him with a player who has won CL 5 times and La Liga 3 times. But Mainoo sure looks like a future star.
He wouldn't keep prime Casemiro out the team of course. But then prime Casemiro would never have player at Old Trafford. He might get that good eventually though.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I want him next to Casemiro, not instead of him. Those behind Bruno/Mount would be great.
This.

Maybe our midfield won't look so open all the time then.
Very promising performance from Mainoo and showed a lot of maturity. I hope he kicks on because that type of cm is very rare.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Really promising. Played the simple pass quickly and accurately. But could also turn out of trouble effortlessly.

Please let him be the answer that saves us having to whop another huge shorter fee out in that area.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

I love midfielders who have that low centre of gravity. Thought he was a huge reason behind why we kept the ball so well in the second half. I hope Ten Hag keeps on starting him for the next few games. This could be his 'Rashford vs Midtjylland' game.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Great performance, and as others have said, this is a fraction of what he's capable off.

Feel like he can impose himself on the game much more, and show for the ball more with more intent. He has all the qualities.

His agility, speed, reaction speed, balance, acceleration and control is very rare in midfield.

Aretak

Lee Dixon was raving about him on commentary. He's incredibly composed for his age.

Morpheus 7

Really impressive debut in that atmosphere. Let's see how it goes, deserves to start next few games. Let's see, was motm.

city-puma

Great performance, and as others have said, this is a fraction of what he's capable off.

Feel like he can impose himself on the game much more, and show for the ball more with more intent. He has all the qualities.

His agility, speed, reaction speed, balance, acceleration and control is very rare in midfield.
He is a lot like Seedorf but as you said his reaction speed, acceleration and agility are rare to find in that position. My memory tells me he is better in those aspects than Seedorf.

NZT-One

No one is saying how marvelous we were, but we were much worse after. I.e. a nosedive.
Had we even lost before that game?
Its preseason :D Results are worth next to nothing due to fitness levels and all that. I personally don't feel comfortable to put more meaning into things, thats why I commented.