2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

dubplate warrior

I like McT and he definitely has his uses, but playing him alongside Mainoo is almost suicidal.

It didn't help Mainoo at all.
It's suicidal because McTominay is a very limited footballer. He is always in the wrong place, can't pass, doesn't show for the ball and alongside Bruno, effectively means whoever else he is paired alongside is playing by themselves.

The fact he's played as many games as he has for United is a disgrace.

3KDré

Was tasked with a suicide mission. I wonder who we should pair him with. We need to keep a better shape, I want to see him with Amrabat or even Hannibal.

The_Midfielder

Was tasked with a suicide mission. I wonder who we should pair him with. We need to keep a better shape, I want to see him with Amrabat or even Mainoo.
I mean .. just put Hannibal and Mainoo as our CMs
and where this takes us.
Atleast they run..and we wouldn't need a Bruno covering for our midfielders..
Happened yesterday and also in. Copenhagen..

jem

I actually thought he looked quite neat and tidy when he managed to get on the ball. If Casemiro can come back at his previous level (big 'if' I know,) he and Mainoo would look great together.

Raven

I actually thought he looked quite neat and tidy when he managed to get on the ball. If Casemiro can come back at his previous level (big 'if' I know,) he and Mainoo would look great together.
It would take a lot of the creative burden off of Casemiro like at Real, he's shown great vision and execution at united but is inconsistent. Playing next to someone more comfortable on the ball would allow him to focus more on breaking up play and getting into the box when attacking which are what he's best at I think.

jem

It would take a lot of the creative burden off of Casemiro like at Real, he's shown great vision and execution at united but is inconsistent. Playing next to someone more comfortable on the ball would allow him to focus more on breaking up play and getting into the box when attacking which are what he's best at I think.
Exactly, and it might just be the spark that saves our season. It certainly won't be found in continuing to play McTominay.

Raven

Exactly, and it might just be the spark that saves our season. It certainly won't be found in continuing to play McTominay.
I'm not sure ETH will play that way, he seems set on this 1 man midfield rubbish. It should be Mainoo - Amrabat until Case gets back but that doesn't seem to be happening.

jem

I'm not sure ETH will play that way, he seems set on this 1 man midfield rubbish. It should be Mainoo - Amrabat until Case gets back but that doesn't seem to be happening.
Well I'm starting to think ETH needs to go, particularly if he stubbornly persists with lineups/tactics that have failed repeatedly.

Raven

Well I'm starting to think ETH needs to go, particularly if he stubbornly persists with lineups/tactics that have failed repeatedly.
This is my thinking as well sadly. I just can't understand how he's not seeing what the issue is here.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
We get it, you hate ETH :lol: :lol:

You don't have to bring him up to play down a promising young player. Our fans are fecking wild.
I'm not playing him down, that's you putting words in my mouth.

I've been telling people to temper their expectations. He's played better than I thought, but last night was more what I thought I'd see. Quiet but not overwhelmed.

PeteRae

He didnt have a good game but cant expect him to have a good game in a game like todays. Paul Scholes wouldnt look good in todays team and match.
Paul Scholes would have still ran the show. Seriously he was fecking brilliant. We would probably still end up losing but if Scholes was playing it wouldn’t looked as bad.

jesperjaap

Was tasked with a suicide mission. I wonder who we should pair him with. We need to keep a better shape, I want to see him with Amrabat or even Hannibal.
After our summer transfer activity I said before the season even started I actally think with a bit of experience or best midfield pairing is Mainoo and Hannibal is Casemeiro doesnt get form back. Havent seen anything to change my mind so far, partly as I like both players even more so as or transfers were awful I feel, still early days and all bt Amrabat is jst plain average and Mount is a good player bt was never the type of midfielder we needed, Eriksens legs are gone and wondering if Casemeiros may be too.

Also are people really criticising Mainoo already? He is young and will make mistakes, made a couple against Newcastle but beyong Fernandes and SHaw he as probably or best player and he still had a decent game

3KDré

After our summer transfer activity I said before the season even started I actally think with a bit of experience or best midfield pairing is Mainoo and Hannibal is Casemeiro doesnt get form back. Havent seen anything to change my mind so far, partly as I like both players even more so as or transfers were awful I feel, still early days and all bt Amrabat is jst plain average and Mount is a good player bt was never the type of midfielder we needed, Eriksens legs are gone and wondering if Casemeiros may be too.

Also are people really criticising Mainoo already? He is young and will make mistakes, made a couple against Newcastle but beyong Fernandes and SHaw he as probably or best player and he still had a decent game
I am still a bit unsure on Hannibal, but most of his bad qualities will be ironed out with calming down from playing more games. I agree though. The thing that is worrying me about Ten Hag right now is that the profiles in our midfield have been off all season apart from perhaps against Burnley.

When we play Casemiro Mount Bruno we lack control and we lack defensive ability. When it's Casemiro + Eriksen we have control but no legs. Casemiro + McT lacks control. When we play Mainoo - McT - Bruno only Mainoo is actually calm on the ball... I could go on but its just a mess. I don't understand how he thinks we will control games with Mainoo,McTominay and Bruno as our midfield.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Paul Scholes would have still ran the show. Seriously he was fecking brilliant. We would probably still end up losing but if Scholes was playing it wouldn’t looked as bad.
He would not have ran the show being hung out to dry by his midfield partners

PeteRae

He would not have ran the show being hung out to dry by his midfield partners
I believe we are both right, he would have not gotten too far as the others are pants, although he probably would end up coaching them to do what he would want.

Onerealunited

Play Mainoo and Hannibal. if it works we would have the start of a very good partnership with many years in from of them and a lot of time to build them as the coach want. if it doesn't work, so what, none of the combinations we have with the current players available works, so not much to lose

GledTheRed

Can take anything from that game we were absolutely dominated from start to finish, barely had the fecking ball due to the useless cnut in charge.

Red00012

Playing an 18 year old in the PL and telling him you’re alongside McTominay is as bad as not having the balls to drop Rashford

Maureen-yo

I am still a bit unsure on Hannibal, but most of his bad qualities will be ironed out with calming down from playing more games. I agree though. The thing that is worrying me about Ten Hag right now is that the profiles in our midfield have been off all season apart from perhaps against Burnley.

When we play Casemiro Mount Bruno we lack control and we lack defensive ability. When it's Casemiro + Eriksen we have control but no legs. Casemiro + McT lacks control. When we play Mainoo - McT - Bruno only Mainoo is actually calm on the ball... I could go on but its just a mess. I don't understand how he thinks we will control games with Mainoo,McTominay and Bruno as our midfield.
Is Mainoo, Mount and Bruno our best hope? Mainoo with defensive nous and composure, Mount with the (alleged) ability to carry the ball forward and find space and Bruno doing what he does further up the pitch?

Ekeke

He was fine in an extremely hard match. He didnt track his man back once and then he made sure not to make the mistake the next time. A top level seasoned DM would probably not have made the mistake but nobody should be expecting that at 18 years old. He's obviously not the finished article.

And yes unfortunately our other CM/DM options other than an in form Casemiro arent going to be helping him. He's the one helping McTom, Amrabat and the rest

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He was fine in an extremely hard match. He didnt track his man back once and then he made sure not to make the mistake the next time. A top level seasoned DM would probably not have made the mistake but nobody should be expecting that at 18 years old. He's obviously not the finished article.

And yes unfortunately our other CM/DM options other than an in form Casemiro arent going to be helping him. He's the one helping McTom, Amrabat and the rest
Agreed, for his second start for us, he still made a lot of the right decisions. He just didn't put a foot wrong against everton so people are shocked an 18 year old isn't consistent (go figure), not to mention playing against vastly superior opponents.

Ekeke

Agreed, for his second start for us, he still made a lot of the right decisions. He just didn't put a foot wrong against everton so people are shocked an 18 year old isn't consistent (go figure), not to mention playing against vastly superior opponents.
And they had so much of the ball so we were constantly defending so he was constantly being tested by opposition movement and attacks

Bondi77

So long as he is not clattering into Kobbie!

Jeffthered

Mainoo is 18, just returned from a significant injury lay-off. He needs time and needs guidance, of course he does. And, he's playing in a dysfunctional team.

It's a shame we have to ask so much of him.

Last edited:

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I hope he is not run into the ground by a manager who is making it up as it goes. He is a super talent but is still only 18. He needs proper guidance to develop into a top top midfielder. ETH has a tendency to stumbling into good things and then ruining them by overdoing it. Fingers crossed Mainoo can be spared.

Rossa

He's good, even brilliant on the ball. Without the ball, he needs to improve. He even looks downright slow trying to chase players; and when you see an 18 year old giving up when beaten in a foot race, it does my head in. Never stop, and ultimately the attacker needs to slow down to either pass, dribble or shoot, and suddenly you are in position again. Too many of our players do this - give up when dribbled past or run past. I think only Bruno actually chase players down.

gajender

He's good, even brilliant on the ball. Without the ball, he needs to improve. He even looks downright slow trying to chase players; and when you see an 18 year old giving up when beaten in a foot race, it does my head in. Never stop, and ultimately the attacker needs to slow down to either pass, dribble or shoot, and suddenly you are in position again. Too many of our players do this - give up when dribbled past or run past. I think only Bruno actually chase players down.
Eyes see what they want to see there have several instances where Fernandes just make half hearted attempts and gives up .

Unam333

I noticed that as well. He looks quite slow. Got beat at least once in a foot race. His positioning when the opponent has the ball should improve. Other than that, he looks promising. Good to see Ten Hag putting faith in him.

Rossa

Eyes see what they want to see there have several instances where Fernandes just make half hearted attempts and gives up .
Only one player in the league runs more than him. He makes both attacking and defensive runs for sure. Against Galatasaray, for their first goal, he had to track back because the others didn't, for instance. Happens all the time. Not that he's great at it, but he runs his lungs out.

Rossa

I noticed that as well. He looks quite slow. Got beat at least once in a foot race. His positioning when the opponent has the ball should improve. Other than that, he looks promising. Good to see Ten Hag putting faith in him.
A bit worrying, but he can improve his speed with proper training for sure. People think that you are at your fastest at 18, but that is far from the truth. Ronaldo improved his speed massively from 18 to 25.

3KDré

Is Mainoo, Mount and Bruno our best hope? Mainoo with defensive nous and composure, Mount with the (alleged) ability to carry the ball forward and find space and Bruno doing what he does further up the pitch?
I would say no. Defensively too weak. Not enough physicality either.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
No, that's horrible also.

Mainoo, Casemiro + Fernandes/Mount/Eriksen probably has the most balance in it.

Remember the geese

Something along the lines of Casemiro, Mainoo, Mount/Bruno. Or Casemiro, Mainoo, Amrabat. Mainoo doesn't have defensive nous. Primarily he's a number 8, (although I welcome the idea behind moulding him into a De Jong) and his strengths lie on the ball rather than off it. He needs Casemiro with him. I'd like to see a solid midfield with a bit of balance, rather than one comprised of a nothing player (McTominay) or a mercurial number 10 (Bruno). Look at that Newcastle midfield the other night. Three actual central midfielders. Let's get back to basics, try not to be too clever and learn to walk before we can run.