g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Kobbie Mainoo image 37

Kobbie Mainoo England flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

IncyWincySpider

It's not like he lost us the game, it had probably gone already by that point, we were never going to score.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Agree. He looked wrecked by the time he made the mistake too. Putting him with Bruno and McT is surely some kind of sadist act though. Bad call from the manager
Excuses. He had a good game and made a mistake (which was a lapse in concentration) The midfield setup was ok, he was not overrun in the game at all especially as Shaw tucked in and helped quite a bit.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Kid has been outmuscling and outrunning u21s and u18s for years but suddenly now he’s too slow and weak. :lol:

Playing an 18 year old in a one man midfield in his first appearances having no experience with the intensity of PL football and expecting him to somehow keep up with some of the fastest wingers in the league on every single run is just classic Caf moanfest.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Excuses. He had a good game and made a mistake (which was a lapse in concentration) The midfield setup was ok, he was not overrun in the game at all especially as Shaw tucked in and helped quite a bit.
It’s true he wasn’t overrun and we had control of the game but our use of the ball was shocking. He needs smarter footballers around him than McT and Bruno

kundalini

His calmness in possession is impressive but much of his passing is very simple and adds little, tons of pass back to defenders and Onana. Obviously a terrible error for their 2nd goal. Poor 2nd half performance.

PL football is a very high level so it is unrealistic to expect Mainoo to have much impact right now. In the medium term I suspect we've got a good player.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He played really well and it’s good he’s getting minutes, the mistake happens, we’ve seen that this season. I’d pick him as long as he is fit and try to manage his minutes well.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It’s true he wasn’t overrun and we had control of the game but our use of the ball was shocking. He needs smarter footballers around him than McT and Bruno
Agree with that part

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He doesn't need it but it's a great card to have just in case. He needs elite positioning and instincts to make up for it.
I mean, the kid is showing he constantly has excellent decision making and composure. Not saying he's on the same level, but it'd be like seeing Iniesta breakthrough at Barca and thinking man, if only he were as fast as 90s Ryan Giggs. I don't think he's that slow and even if he was, a proper club would look to maximise his strengths by getting him a hard working physical type player as his partner. Which I have zero confidence in the club doing but I digress.

Bondi77

I felt sorry for the young man after his mistake but I reckon he is strong mentally and will write it off and come back stronger.

Sylar

We desperately need better players around him in the middle.

Players make mistakes no matter the age and experience. He defo would have thrived with some of the players city have in the middle and how they recycle possession

Balljy

We desperately need better players around him in the middle.

Players make mistakes no matter the age and experience. He defo would have thrived with some of the players city have in the middle and how they recycle possession
I reckon him and Casemiro will do well together and it means Cas can probably sit back a bit more and do his thing. It'll do Mainoo some good learning from someone with that experience too.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I reckon him and Casemiro will do well together and it means Cas can probably sit back a bit more and do his thing. It'll do Mainoo some good learning from someone with that experience too.
I suspect it might actually be Mainoo who continues to sit back and act as our main passer from the back, while Casemiro pushes further forward a bit and plays a more offensive role than he has normally. He is actually quite a good goal threat himself, after all.

Balljy

I suspect it might actually be Mainoo who continues to sit back and act as our main passer from the back, while Casemiro pushes further forward a bit and plays a more offensive role than he has normally. He is actually quite a good goal threat himself, after all.
Possibly, and Mainoo looks like his long term future could be a midfield sweeper role. That does come with a lot of pressure and experience helps with positioning which is something Casemiro does naturally. We'll see but with the season on the line in the new year Eth might play it safe for now.

flameinthesun

Thought he really grew into that 2nd half to the point that there was a period where it seemed he was winning everything.

Superunknown

Great to see him get games and he played better as the game went on. Loved seeing him pump up the crowd.

Zed is not dead

He really pocketed McGinn tonight (and god knows I hate the term pocketed in football), he left him no space to play. Very solid defensive performance from Mainoo tonight.
I hope that as his confidence grows, he’ll start playing more forward or long passes

aeh1991

Mainoo and Garnacho are our future! Such a joy to see him play weekly.

dutchred

if we get a fully fit Casemiro A midfield of
Casemiro Mainoo
Eriksen (Mount)
would be as good as any in the PL

redom

Very good in the second half, kept us pushing forward by intelligently pressing and winning the ball back and quickly passing it to an attacking player. I thought first half he was too safe with his passing and kept going backwards a bit much but I can understand him being a bit wary of making mistakes, just needs to keep growing and learning.

Bobski

He is surprisingly decent in the air for his size. He keeps his composure, might be the most impressive thing about his game.

Oldyella

Assured again. Will need the occasional breather but he should be a feature in 1st team going forwards. Loved him pumping up the crowd too!

Ekeke

Eriksen could learn a thing or two from him. While he wasnt our most outstanding progressive player with the ball today, he kept it simple and found his teammates and he was a good ball winner. He was miles better than Douglas Luiz who is normally good today. 5 aerials won today! as well as his 2 tackles, 1 interception, 3 clearences and 1 foul.

He has no right at 18 years old to perform that maturely. And while he didnt do many tricks out outlandish passes to catch the eye, that was the kind of performance that helped stabalize the team and helped us kick on in the 2nd half as the team improved as he went up a level as well in the 2nd half

r0663664

Worships Man City
Mainoo is solid and will continue to improve. There was a feck moment from Onana trying to put him in trouble. Onana has a tendency to screw up the CM, just Casemiro red card in the Champion League.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
He's so calm.
He's 18, Playing the most difficult position in football in a dysfunctional team but looks the calmest guy on the pitch.
I hope we take care of him, he needs to become more physically imposing (which will naturally happen with age) but he's a very good prospect.

united for life

Assured again. Will need the occasional breather but he should be a feature in 1st team going forwards. Loved him pumping up the crowd too!
this boy is special. Can already see a huge role for him for years at the club. It was a very intense game but he was so calm. At 18, he played like an experienced DM behind bruno and eriksen.

fantastic game

Looks like he's been in the league and the team for years. We just need to find a capable partner for him.