2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Bobski

Midfield was a mess. Mainoo very peripheral when he’s the guy who you want on the ball more than anyone.
It is an absurd set up, asking Mainoo, a kid who not yet fully physically mature to make a ton of transition sprints. In doing this he is marginalizing, in-game, the player who will be key to the next decent manager we get controlling games.

Just play a normal midfield 2, let Mainoo get on the ball, stop hoofing everything over the top to runners, modern Charlie Hughes and POMO football.

Gordon Godot

It is an absurd set up, asking Mainoo, a kid who not yet fully physically mature to make a ton of transition sprints. In doing this he is marginalizing, in-game, the player who will be key to the next decent manager we get controlling games.

Just play a normal midfield 2, let Mainoo get on the ball, stop hoofing everything over the top to runners, modern Charlie Hughes and POMO football.
Its embarrassing what ETH is coaching this team to do. We should get Mainoo on the ball deep as you say.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Well...we did it lads. We finally managed to drag Mainoo down the level of collective uselessness and panic in possession. I guess there was only so long the lad was going to be able to rise above the trash that surrounds him.

KranjskaKlobasa

At set-pieces, especially at corners, he was marking opposition players who were way taller than him and got outmuscled at least few times. He seems like a player with high awareness / game IQ so I'm assuming this was a tactical set-up from the coaching team?

Classnordic

Setting the team up to fail, why not try and go for some control against Fulham at home. Our selected midfielders should not lose the midfield against this Fulham.
Way too much distance in the midfield. Every game this seems to be an issue, both in and out of posession. I can understand why he instructs his players to do this, but it obviously does not work. Why does ETH keeps persisting with it?

SAFMUTD

I fear playing in this team will do more harm than benefit, we have a history of making good players shit as they play more games. Many players have impressed when firstly played only to turn out dross after a few months.

Hopefully he doesn't get infected by this as he has look really good.

AshRK

I really feel for the boy. He should be playing in a structure where possession is prioritized and not play with mf who treat the ball as hand grenade and just hoof it up

jesperjaap

Onana at Everton
I must be missing something with Onana as despite the obvious physique he looks really average to me.

For me it isnt just who plays alongside Mainoo, I think not even so much of buildig our midfield around him, he is the only midfielder should still be here. Eriksen and Casemeiros legs have gone, Fernandes also should go in my opinion.

The face ETH has had two windows, free signings, loan signings, marquee signings and alreay had our supposed star in midfield in Fernandes, also had good youngsters in Hannibal and Gore and others....its woeful Mainoo is the only one credible for me moving forward. Its been our biggest weakness this season as I thought it would, needs totally rebuilding and Mainoo is the oly one should be part of it in the first eleven.

He needs help in there and he also needs to develop too, as fantastic as he is at a yougn age, he sitll has a lot to improve on defensively I feel, thats why a workhorse alongside him with decent technique like Joao Neves appeals to me over a physicalplayer.

AndySmith1990

Seems to me that everyone is taking it for granted he will be a starter from now on. To me that's mental. We should be looking for a couple first XI midfielders in the summer with Mainoo used as rotation. He's talented for an 18 year old, but he's certainly not comparable to the elite midfielders out there, which is obviously what we need if we want to compete with the best

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Seems to me that everyone is taking it for granted he will be a starter from now on. To me that's mental. We should be looking for a couple first XI midfielders in the summer with Mainoo used as rotation. He's talented for an 18 year old, but he's certainly not comparable to the elite midfielders out there, which is obviously what we need if we want to compete with the best
I agree. Mainoo looks to be an extremely talented player, but playing week in week out is not ideal for him.
Andy is right, get two solid midfielders to shore up the midfield, let Mainoo drop in here and there to gain experience, and in a couple of seasons time he will be the mainstay of our midfield.
I still believe Hannibal has a future here, Gore looks a good prospect, and I can see Amad developing into a 10, so these lads could be getting decent minutes over the next couple of seasons.

Superunknown

I sincerely hope we can get a new manager in promptly so that we don't 'contaminate' the younger and promising players for too much longer. Mediocrity is contagious.

Camilo

Well...we did it lads. We finally managed to drag Mainoo down the level of collective uselessness and panic in possession. I guess there was only so long the lad was going to be able to rise above the trash that surrounds him.
Nah, he was shit n all. Just as guilty.

lex talionis

I think he needs a break. 18 years old, he's still growing, so any injury could be detrimental to his long term career.
I think so too. We’re going to be up against it with our upcoming opponents and it might be best to start McTominay in midfield, come what may. It’s not as though we’re on the cusp of great things that would be jeopardized with McTominay in midfield for a match or two while pressure is taken off young Kobbie.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
At set-pieces, especially at corners, he was marking opposition players who were way taller than him and got outmuscled at least few times. He seems like a player with high awareness / game IQ so I'm assuming this was a tactical set-up from the coaching team?
His set piece defending is one of the biggest weaknesses I've seen from him. Constantly lets his man get away from him and we could easily have conceded quite a few goals from it during his time in the team. Must admit I didn't really notice it today though, but I was watching it on a shitty stream and missed about 10 minutes.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We need to build a midfield around him adding players who can offer a similar levels of intelligence and technical quality. Casemiro, Bruno etc bring the collective down.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Sadly we aren’t an elite team and we aren’t compete with the best soon. I don’t think people are taking anything from granted but rather it’s blatantly obvious that he’s the only midfielder we have who brings the qualities we desperate need from midfield. I agree with bringing in two first 11 midfielders but with the way Bruno is performing and how well Mainoo retains possession, he would still have a great chance at being a starter. And with our track record in the market you can’t blame anyone for having low expectations as to the standard of CM we’d be bringing in.

AFC NimbleThumb

I’ll keep saying it. EtH has no real grasp on this league & squad composition shows it.

A player like Mainoo will always break through & whilst he’s young he’ll be outmuscled etc. but the players EtH has bought in to supplement this are all slight.

Put our first team out & throw Mainoo into that team. He’s still being eaten alive because he’s back by a 5’10 CB, an unathletic DM, & if he had his way Antony on the right.

We used to take the piss out of Arsenal but we are an utter shower physically.

No amount of awareness or it will supplement the fact the manager has fecked us physically.

VictoriaRed

He was anonymous today. Not one of his most assured displays, but he's 18! I love him and he should be a centre piece moving forward.

Ekeke

Was okay and not one of his best games. He was like the rest of the team other than Garnacho who were too happy to pass the ball sideways and backwards being patient. It was a team wide problem. Defensively Casemiro did most of the work but he still did well at times covering positions and tracking back.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I’ll keep saying it. EtH has no real grasp on this league & squad composition shows it.

A player like Mainoo will always break through & whilst he’s young he’ll be outmuscled etc. but the players EtH has bought in to supplement this are all slight.

Put our first team out & throw Mainoo into that team. He’s still being eaten alive because he’s back by a 5’10 CB, an unathletic DM, & if he had his way Antony on the right.

We used to take the piss out of Arsenal but we are an utter shower physically.

No amount of awareness or it will supplement the fact the manager has fecked us physically.
I’ll give you Mount but disagree his signings lack physicality. I can see the argument against Casa but he’s strong and reads the game well, in a proper setup that would cover his lack of pace. Martinez who you reference is a monster, quick in his mind, quick in the challenge and has basically never lost through to lack of so called physicality. Antony is all physical with his high pressing and pace. And Rasmus Hojland is a physical beast. The biggest problem players for physicality are those he inherited.

Idxomer

Thought he was ok in the first half actually despite United playing a style that doesn't suit his talents.

His best moment was when he kept the ball under pressure outside the box and slipped the ball to Rashford who should've done better. It was something our number 10 is very rarely able to do.

Adamsk7

We’re so desperate for great players in our team again that we pin way too high expectations on him. He’s a very promising talent but he has a long way to go with plenty to work on and some glaring weaknesses still. Shouldn’t be starting every game for us but alas that’s where we find ourselves as a team - relying on an 18 yr old still learning the game.

Ekeke

We’re so desperate for great players in our team again that we pin way too high expectations on him. He’s a very promising talent but he has a long way to go with plenty to work on and some glaring weaknesses still. Shouldn’t be starting every game for us but alas that’s where we find ourselves as a team - relying on an 18 yr old still learning the game.
Douglas Luiz has been one of the best midfielders in the league this season and he was average against us other than turning in the goal.

Garner has been one of the best ball winners in the premier league and he wasnt very good against us or this week against Brighton.

If players who are in the top 10 central midfielders in the league this season cant play well every game then what chance does Mainoo have if you expect him to?

dubplate warrior

He needs a structure. This inshallah football isn't helping anyone in midfield
Exactly. The gameplan is bypass our midfield and hope Bruno can pump a ball which one of our attacks can make something happen with.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I agree. Mainoo looks to be an extremely talented player, but playing week in week out is not ideal for him.
Andy is right, get two solid midfielders to shore up the midfield, let Mainoo drop in here and there to gain experience, and in a couple of seasons time he will be the mainstay of our midfield.
I still believe Hannibal has a future here, Gore looks a good prospect, and I can see Amad developing into a 10, so these lads could be getting decent minutes over the next couple of seasons.
This is a weird idea. Playing football is obviously good for him.

AFC NimbleThumb

I’ll give you Mount but disagree his signings lack physicality. I can see the argument against Casa but he’s strong and reads the game well, in a proper setup that would cover his lack of pace. Martinez who you reference is a monster, quick in his mind, quick in the challenge and has basically never lost through to lack of so called physicality. Antony is all physical with his high pressing and pace. And Rasmus Hojland is a physical beast. The biggest problem players for physicality are those he inherited.
Mount. Brittle. Slight.
Antony. All fart no shite. Slight.
Onana. For a goalkeeper not particularly imposing. Slight.
Martinez. Is all the things you mention yet Slight in stature.
Malacia. Combative but Slight.
Amrabat. Slow & unathletic. Is always where you need him seconds after required. Shite, sorry. . . Slight.

Casemiro is great when not tasked with running. Physically on a set piece where standing still is a benefit he’s a plus but a definite minus when it comes to covering grass.

Hojlund. Monster.

My reference was in particular how the signings impact us at set pieces. Of all the players above I’d say Casemiro is the only plus. Even Hojlund for his height is more about stride power.

Look at the stature of the players we’ve signed & the squad they’re coming into. Now imagine if we’d sold Maguire & McTominay as he wanted. Those signings do not address the physicality of the league he’s managing in for me. ‘Casa but he’s strong and reads the game well, in a proper setup that would cover his lack of pace.’, yea that’s a problem. ‘Antony is all physical with his high pressing and pace.’ which has translated to literally 0 output in this league for well over a year. He’s actually not that pacey & his pressing amounts to Sweet FA.

See Arsenals first goal yesterday. We’re fecked if that gets stuck on us & frankly set pieces are one of the ways they’ve cheat codes their way into people thinking they’re done great side.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
You need a Mainoo to supply a Mainoo to progress the ball onto a Mainoo. We have one Mainoo and so any other potential ‘Mainoo’s’ in the chain are vapours. By putting him so high up the pitch with no connective tissue, he’s wandering around almost aimlessly trying to find a way to participate in the game.

As things stand, the only position for him to be fully utilised in this current set up is at #6 where he controls a portion of the game and then dictates it for others via his decisions and distribution. It also gives him the least running today whilst enabling him to remain positionally adroit and focused on his job.

For me, ultimately he’s an #8, but at this time, playing further up the pitch is too demanding in a team like this where every passage of play through midfield is such an effort and struggle. He is never on the periphery at #6 because it’s the conduit to everything else, but at #8 and #10, he’s reliant on others being better cogs than they are or can be.

We need many men, but we’ve only got one. It’s a big problem that needs fixing this summer.

lex talionis

This is a weird idea. Playing football is obviously good for him.
Playing football is a good thing for footballers, but keep in mind the context in this case. Mainoo has developed brilliant toy the last few months but he still is only 18. The suggestion here is not to rot him on the bench but to give him a break from starting a game or two. It might be bad idea, as the alternative is McTominay, but it’s not completely daft.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Playing football is a good thing for footballers, but keep in mind the context in this case. Mainoo has developed brilliant toy the last few months but he still is only 18. The suggestion here is not to rot him on the bench but to give him a break from starting a game or two. It might be bad idea, as the alternative is McTominay, but it’s not completely daft.
I get it if we were playing midweek regularly and running him into the ground, but that's not the case. If he was out on loan, it would be because we expect him to be playing regularly, so there's a wide open spot for him to develop in our team. Not sure why that's a bad thing all of a sudden.

I do agree if we had a better team he could have a little less pressure with some rotation, but he will only benefit from playing regularly in our first team.

lex talionis

I get it if we were playing midweek regularly and running him into the ground, but that's not the case. If he was out on loan, it would be because we expect him to be playing regularly, so there's a wide open spot for him to develop in our team. Not sure why that's a bad thing all of a sudden.

I do agree if we had a better team he could have a little less pressure with some rotation, but he will only benefit from playing regularly in our first team.
We’re so low on bodies we may no choice but it may be asking too much of an 18 year old to play every match. Some of these upcoming opponents are going to butch us physically and technically regardless of whether Mainoo starts or comes on as a sub, and I’d want Mainoo fresh for the run in against et opponents we should and have to beat.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's not needed when we have 1 game a week. Nobody is being overloaded with minutes since about mid December. Nick Cox, our academy director, even talks often about a key to youth player development being pretty much overloading them with games and training sessions to push them along. It does an 18 year old no use to sit on the bench. That's not to say if we have a schedule like last season where he should never be rested, but this season's is nothing.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
We’re so low on bodies we may no choice but it may be asking too much of an 18 year old to play every match. Some of these upcoming opponents are going to butch us physically and technically regardless of whether Mainoo starts or comes on as a sub, and I’d want Mainoo fresh for the run in against et opponents we should and have to beat.
I do see the reasoning, but as @bosnian_red says, I don't think he's being overloaded in any way that would be detrimental.

lex talionis

I do see the reasoning, but as @bosnian_red says, I don't think he's being overloaded in any way that would be detrimental.
Neither one of us can possibly know how young Kobbie is holding up under the strain, but if there were any doubt about it caution should be exercised. It’s not as though Kobbie is the difference between us defeating or losing to City and Liverpool. Both with destroy us, with or with or without Kobbie Mainoo.

As blunt an instrument as he is, McTominay can handle the stress of both of of these upcoming opponents.

didz

So apparently Kobbie is so good he could score bicycle kicks with pin point accuracy and land back on his feet at nine years of age. Between him and Garnacho, we should be going for some Shaolin Soccer stuff against City.

Man City 3:1 Man Utd New

Bobski

Super quiet on the ball today, only completed 13 passes, 5 in the first half, . Did some decent work defensively but the type of game that shows how far he has to go.