2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

GazTheLegend

Now the England staff have Mainoo in training he will 100% play for England. Never forgotten England playing Saka over Sancho when Sancho was in his absolute pomp playing for Dortmund and being generally outraged, but then I'm sure in training they saw how good Saka was and simply had to play him. I fully expect Mainoo will be in there : surely he's already a better option than Kalvin Phillips

KeanoMagicHat

In Goal.com’s NXT Gen awards he’s only the 7th best young player in the world apparently…

Maybe I know little about football but the Premier League having only 3 young players in the top 31 is quite hilarious.

Placing the next South American wonderkid ahead of someone who’s already arguably playing at a better level than they may ever get to in their whole career is funny to me.
Mainoo has only played 20 senior games to be fair.

Also there are more failures than success stories among English players who played like Mainoo at his age and were done by their mid to late 20s. Alli, Jones, Wilshere, Richards, Sturridge etc.

Think people should be careful of declaring him the greatest and just see how it goes. Second season too is always difficult. Rashford was just as good first stretch of games as well, before struggling for a while second season.

mav_9me

Mainoo has only played 20 senior games to be fair.

Also there are more failures than success stories among English players who played like Mainoo at his age and were done by their mid to late 20s. Alli, Jones, Wilshere, Richards, Sturridge etc.

Think people should be careful of declaring him the greatest and just see how it goes. Second season too is always difficult. Rashford was just as good first stretch of games as well, before struggling for a while second season.
The only one really comparable is Wilshere who was as or more talented than Mainoo and the only reason he was done was because of injuries.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Congrats to him. Quite the impressive progression over the last few months.

Bizarre circumstances though with him just being left out of the squad a few days and Southgate commenting that he essentially wasn't ready but he hadn't played as many games as the likes of Bellingham had when he first called up.

Now just a few days later he sin there and from what I can tell, no one has dropped out. Southgate is an odd one.
Evidently watched and was sold by the Liverpool game, which is understandable given how outstanding he was.

That's our biggest game of the season and he's given his best performance in it, which states he's ready for the grand stages given he looked in his element out there.

The Purley King

Looking at that squad and the players he is up against for a starting CM role and we have:
Gallagher, Henderson and arguably Maddison (though he is much more of a 10).
Foden also tends to play wider. EDIT: assuming rice and Bellingham are shoe ins.

Would have him above Gallagher and Henderson for sure, though I do like Gallagher.
Be crazy to put him in the squad and not give him any minutes. Hope he takes his chance as a rice, mainoo, Bellingham midfield is probably the strongest in the euros I would have thought.

the_cliff

Now the England staff have Mainoo in training he will 100% play for England. Never forgotten England playing Saka over Sancho when Sancho was in his absolute pomp playing for Dortmund and being generally outraged, but then I'm sure in training they saw how good Saka was and simply had to play him. I fully expect Mainoo will be in there : surely he's already a better option than Kalvin Phillips
Yeah I agree with this. He's definitely going to the Euros now.

Raven

De Jong was great at 18, also a generational player. De Jong is better at progressive dribbling ( unstoppable at times) while Kobbie is good at dribbling with the ball in tight spaces.

I agree Kobbie is an 8. He can drop deep to help playing out the back and penetrate the opposition‘s box as we saw against Pool.
I could be wrong but I'm fairly confident that De Jong wasn't doing what Kobbie is doing at 18.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I could be wrong but I'm fairly confident that De Jong wasn't doing what Kobbie is doing at 18.
Correct. De Jongs first breakthrough came in 2017 and mainly 17/18 season at age 20. And where he stepped up to look like a fantastic player on the big stage was the following season. What Mainoo is doing at this level is pretty much a Pedri/Gavi/Camavinga/Bellingham type of thing. Truly world class talent.

Raven

Correct. De Jongs first breakthrough came in 2017 and mainly 17/18 season at age 20. And where he stepped up to look like a fantastic player on the big stage was the following season. What Mainoo is doing at this level is pretty much a Pedri/Gavi/Camavinga/Bellingham type of thing. Truly world class talent.
That's what I thought, understandable that a Dutch poster would like to big up Frenkie though.

Ghostrider318

I just hope he keeps his feet on the ground and doesnt get swept up in the usual english media hype. Wouldnt blame him thought, none of us wouldve thought straight if he suddenly had so much fame ( for all the right reasons ) at 18

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I know people are comparing him Seedorf's skillset but I think he has more of an Iniesta skillset than Seedorf.

I would be happy with either of them.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Looking at that squad and the players he is up against for a starting CM role and we have:
Gallagher, Henderson and arguably Maddison (though he is much more of a 10).
Foden also tends to play wider. EDIT: assuming rice and Bellingham are shoe ins.

Would have him above Gallagher and Henderson for sure, though I do like Gallagher.
Be crazy to put him in the squad and not give him any minutes. Hope he takes his chance as a rice, mainoo, Bellingham midfield is probably the strongest in the euros I would have thought.
He wouldn't start but definitely a contention for one spot. Southgate will start Gallagher, Jude and Rice.

Kaizane

I know people are comparing him Seedorf's skillset but I think he has more of an Iniesta skillset than Seedorf.

I would be happy with either of them.
Qualities of both.

Maybe in 15-20 years when he's hung up his boots, people will be saying a new gen is more of a "Mainoo type midfielder", having gone on to define a new midfield role himself.

Fully on this hype train, I don't care.

Red_Aaron

Could well be southgates last tournament, he'd be mad not to take Mainoo from a selfish pov

Henderson nor Gallagher bring anything to the team that Kobbie can't and he offers a hell of a lot that they don't

Rice, Mainoo, Bellingham gives them a shot at this title

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Could well be southgates last tournament, he'd be mad not to take Mainoo from a selfish pov

Henderson nor Gallagher bring anything to the team that Kobbie can't and he offers a hell of a lot that they don't

Experience.

evil_geko

People saying he is not that fast, feck speed, modern football is only about speed, speed, speed. The game has lost all the flair and excitement, we need more of that back.

Ananke

It’s so satisfying to watch him. We need to look after him, but I think his mentality will do a lot of the work for him. Bellingham esque attitude.

Feels like he controls the tempo of the game, and everything around him slows down/speeds up when he wants it to. Fellow Stockport lad too :D

Winrar

Even the official fa cup channel is in on it.

Composure, situational awareness, technical ability. All crucial skills that can't be easily taught and Mainoo has abundance of these traits in his locker, which is why he looks so comfortable on the pitch despite relative lack of experience.

What a special talent he is. Really need him to stay fit.

Dannn411

I'd still take Gallagher but not Henderson or Phillips.

In Goal.com’s NXT Gen awards he’s only the 7th best young player in the world apparently…

Maybe I know little about football but the Premier League having only 3 young players in the top 31 is quite hilarious.

Placing the next South American wonderkid ahead of someone who’s already arguably playing at a better level than they may ever get to in their whole career is funny to me.
You have a link to this list? Can’t find 2024s version.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
I hope he gets to play even a few minutes.
It will do him a world of good.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
It’s so satisfying to watch him. We need to look after him, but I think his mentality will do a lot of the work for him. Bellingham esque attitude.

Feels like he controls the tempo of the game, and everything around him slows down/speeds up when he wants it to. Fellow Stockport lad too :D
Bellingham seems like an arsehole so I hope not. He is brilliant though and Kobbie will be too.

kaku06

De Jong was great at 18, also a generational player. De Jong is better at progressive dribbling ( unstoppable at times) while Kobbie is good at dribbling with the ball in tight spaces.

I agree Kobbie is an 8. He can drop deep to help playing out the back and penetrate the opposition‘s box as we saw against Pool.
So great and generational he was at 18 that he didn’t even start the Europa league final for Ajax v United at the age of 20. Oh but you said he was great at 18 not 20. My bad.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
‘Why are there so many pages for a guy who’s barely played?!’
:angel: That and the eventual dawning that those talking about him weren’t exaggerating. Now, him being an England player is seen as a formality too - a few months ago, there was a hesitancy to call it with regard to England.

What a swing!

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
If Mainoo played for City he'd look even better. Generational talent

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
SAF made a lot of feck ups. Ali was never a really elite talent imo. A poor mans Lampard (and for me Lampard is massively overrated).
I would run to sign inmediately that Mainoo can have the career with us that your 'massively overrated' player had at chelsea