2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

flappyjay

I was hoping he doesn't get his 1st call up until after the euros. Good luck to him

Borninthe80ts

Rice, Mainoo and Belingham. Kane up top. Foden right and Grealish left. On paper fantastic offensive unit.
I do like Rice and wanted him for United just think we can keep the ball better this way. Rice on when we need to close a game out. Also it was more for after the Euros but yeah technical levels on point.

No space for Saka?

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Pickford/Ramsdale

Walker/TAA
Stones/Braithwaite
Maguire/Guehi
Shaw/Tripper

Rice/Henderson
Mainoo/Gallagher
Bellingham/Palmer

Saka/Grealish
Foden/Rashford
Kane/Watkins

Serious talent and depth in options for England. Some glaring weak spots too, mind.

RuudTom83

He is ice cold with it as well, never gets over excited.

I’m not sure we will see it this week, but it will be very interesting to see how he plays alongside Rice.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I’m surprised by the comments about a staid or stymied introduction. Every single interview I’ve seen from elite players and top coaches has mentioned how everyone is in awe of Mainoo from the outset and he has instant eyes on him and tongues wagging. Why do people think it will be any different in the England camp?

Even if Southgate is slow on the uptake, the coaches and fellow players will have massive sway if Mainoo just does his thing, the same thing that is earning him glowing praise from his peers and getting him high fives from Klopp in the midst of a humiliating defeat.

A more holistic approach would be to ask who in that England camp can do or replicate what Mainoo offers. The feeling I get is Mainoo is actually going to have a huge amount of pressure placed on hiss shoulders as the best conduit and link man England have, who will be expected to get the ball off Rice and progress it to Bellingham and/or the forward line in as succinct a fashion as possible.

That connective tissue role is up for grabs, and the question is: if not Mainoo, then who should it be entrusted to?

Brightonian

A more holistic approach would be to ask who in that England camp can do or replicate what Mainoo offers. The feeling I get is Mainoo is actually going to have a huge amount of pressure placed on hiss shoulders as the best conduit and link man England have, who will be expected to get the ball off Rice and progress it to Bellingham and/or the forward line in as succinct a fashion as possible.
This is why I was hoping this call-up wouldn't happen yet. He's too young to be playing all the time. He'll have a career of soft tissue injuries and knee/ankle problems to look forward to if ETH/Southgate don't take it easy with him.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
This is why I was hoping this call-up wouldn't happen yet. He's too young to be playing all the time. He'll have a career of soft tissue injuries and knee/ankle problems to look forward to if ETH/Southgate don't take it easy with him.
It’s been said by others that he’d have probably had a more arduous International summer break if he goes away with the U-21’s because he’ll play every minute of every game there, where possibly he won’t with England, but I think that’s really difficult to call at the moment because if he goes on to a stellar close to the season, the clamour for him to start will be immense. I wouldn’t rule him out of doing so either, so I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

My underlying feeling is that his talent will be undeniable and he will flourish in the full camp because his ability will dictate the path for him.

mav_9me

I’m surprised by the comments about a staid or stymied introduction. Every single interview I’ve seen from elite players and top coaches has mentioned how everyone is in awe of Mainoo from the outset and he has instant eyes on him and tongues wagging. Why do people think it will be any different in the England camp?

Even if Southgate is slow on the uptake, the coaches and fellow players will have massive sway if Mainoo just does his thing, the same thing that is earning him glowing praise from his peers and getting him high fives from Klopp in the midst of a humiliating defeat.

That connective tissue role is up for grabs, and the question is: if not Mainoo, then who should it be entrusted to?
I've always thought that would be Foden but he doesn't get that role at City, so maybe unless he shows he can play there consistently for city he will not be given that role for England

mav_9me

He is too good to not be playing all the time. Not sure what the right thing is.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Agreed on the bolded part.

Also, pace isn't even that big of a requirement in his role.

Are the likes of Gundogan, Thiago, Bellingham, Verratti, etc. known for their pace? I don't think so.
Yeah only one of those I'd say is quick is Jude, but the rest have been some of the best midfielders of the last 10 years and none of them have much pace.

If he was plodding around like a 35 year old Matic then yeah I'd understand the concerns because that can be tougher to overcome, but we've watched him close down spaces, track runners, and pull away from oncoming defenders on the ball all without much issue and he's still an 18 year old. It's a non issue.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Pickford/Ramsdale

Walker/TAA
Stones/Braithwaite
Maguire/Guehi
Shaw/Tripper

Rice/Henderson
Mainoo/Gallagher
Bellingham/Palmer

Saka/Grealish
Foden/Rashford
Kane/Watkins

Serious talent and depth in options for England. Some glaring weak spots too, mind.
I honestly don't see much in terms of weak spots besides maybe LB depth. Only team that has a more stacked squad is France for me.

It will never happen but I'd like to see what Watkins looks like as the starter. Kane has always been a bit meh for England (although with Bellingham running beyond him this will be the best setup he's had so far.)

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I honestly don't see much in terms of weak spots besides maybe LB depth. Only team that has a more stacked squad is France for me.

It will never happen but I'd like to see what Watkins looks like as the starter. Kane has always been a bit meh for England (although with Bellingham running beyond him this will be the best setup he's had so far.)
Really??

But yeah, whilst the wingbacks are strong on paper they're fragile as feck in reality so you never really know who's going to be available there. I'd also add keepers as a weak spot (although Pickford is different gravy for England) and CBs start to look a bit shaky if you take out Stones' experience/calmness on the ball.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I've always thought that would be Foden but he doesn't get that role at City, so maybe unless he shows he can play there consistently for city he will not be given that role for England
It should be given to an actual midfielder. Someone who enjoys and wants to be in the trenches most of the time and enjoys the defensive aspect of the role in terms of positioning on and off the ball. Foden can do parts of the job, but is naturally inclined to go forward and into the areas of the pitch he wants to be in.

In a midfield, he’d be vying for Bellingham’s role at the top of the midfield, even pushing Jude back to CM, if you want the best out of him [Foden], but after Bellingham’s breakout superstar season, he’s England’s best player and the whole team should be set up for him to thrive given that is Ballon d’Or standard at the moment, so Bellingham is not being usurped by anyone this summer, you’d think.

Looks like a direct contest in the left forward role between Foden and Rashford to me. Depending on who the LB is, the dynamic of the role will be vastly different. If it’s a quality overlapped, Foden makes the most sense (to me), if not, then that left-sided attacker will have to be able to run and drive wide by themselves, which isn’t Foden’s game. I think there will eve be tactical switching between Foden’s style and another introduced to throw the opposition via the contrast.

ABC of Football

He’s basically the FDJ signing we dreamed of and more. My favourite player currently with Garnacho. A pleasure to watch.

Lu Tze

I feel like Kobbie will look even better in international football. The extra second you get plays completely into his strengths.

championo

Top Stalker
This player plays like those players on the other team that you envy. Or should I say the type we will pay over 80M to acquire. At first I thought some of this dribbling was luck but I know think he does know what he is doing. wow. Please don't be a Pogba/Mason/Morrison.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Foden was never going to be that player as he’s not a playmaker. He’s a very attack minded midfielder boring on being one of the forwards hence he doesn’t get that chance at City as his skillset is unsuited.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
My bigger worry is him not kicking on as we’ve seen so many times with our young stars over the past 10 years. Granted some of them faced injury issues but mostly they just all lacked that supreme dedication.

lex talionis

The ideal scenario is the Mainoo gets the call but doesn’t start the first few games. He comes on in the third match in the second and blows the roof off, then starts thereafter and helps lead England to eternal glory.

Stig

That's a casual post match hand"shake" not a high five.

There is a huge difference in the two. People need to get their handshakes, high fives, slaps, slips and fist bumps straight. Massive differences in significance.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
What the feck

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Spot on.
I have no problem with the call up, getting involved in the England set up will be good for him, but yes, being overplayed could be a concern.
I would hope that he would get say 15/20 minutes at the end of the games.
He needs a little break from playing for United, just a game or two.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Spot on.
I have no problem with the call up, getting involved in the England set up will be good for him, but yes, being overplayed could be a concern.
I would hope that he would get say 15/20 minutes at the end of the games.
He needs a little break from playing for United, just a game or two.
The clamor for Southgate to pick him is not so he can sit on the bench and collect a few minutes here and there; it's so he can start.

Apart from concerns about overplaying him, what happens if he doesn't have a good tournament?