6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

Henderson and Gallagher are weeping
I don’t think they are…Southgates comments to me sounded very much like he was setting his stall out for Henderson, Gallagher or even Phillips given any chance. He heaped blame on Mainoo. Cnut.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Anyone hear Southgate's interview on talksport around 15 mins ago. He said playing Mainoo left the team exposed, and that it was clear a couple of times. I think he favours 2 holding midfielders and Jude. He previously described Mainoo as a progressive player rather than a holding midfielder. Is Southgate the manager to take Mainoo forward at international level or club level?
He’s a self-absorbed prick, that’s why he’s so keen on players like Phillips, Dunk, Gallagher, Henderson, Maguire, Chilwell etc etc. Players more in his own mediocre image rather than talented players.

Heaping blame on Mainoo with regards to the impact on the team actually stank. ‘Yes he played well individually BUT look at the problems he caused”. Next time he plays if England conceded the consensus will be that we can’t accommodate him. As always United will protect the player.

Hopefully another nail in Southgate coffin when it comes to united. Prick.

AlexUTD

Anyone hear Southgate's interview on talksport around 15 mins ago. He said playing Mainoo left the team exposed, and that it was clear a couple of times. I think he favours 2 holding midfielders and Jude. He previously described Mainoo as a progressive player rather than a holding midfielder. Is Southgate the manager to take Mainoo forward at international level or club level?
Southgate should just play 3 holding midfielders and call it a day the boring cnut.

pacifictheme

Of course. I don't think anyone even questions that, the question is who partners Bellingham and Rice.

I remember after his first or second app for us I said in this thread that he'd be starting for us in the Euros and I reckon by the end of the season it will be pretty much set in stone, as long as he stays fit.
The post above mine had mainoo is rice's position!

The difficulty we have is whether we think mainoo centrally with foden shunted wide is better than foden centrally with someone else wide. Not sure who that someone is tbh. Saka one side, but not sure who plays wide the other side.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Lee Dixon called it man of the match recently…commentating on a man’s game.

he then checked himself and said ohh sorry, player of the match
TV is full of virtue signalling twats (I work there).

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
While I didn't think Mainoo was amazing I did think he played well. Rice on the other hand was pretty crap so if we're looking at who left the defence exposed it's not the fault of the creative players. Also if we have to play that defence in a tournament we're pretty fecked anyway, even with 5 holding midfielders in front of them. Thought Dunk in particular was a bizarre pick. Why ignore him when he was in his prime, only to play him now he's past his best? For me Konsa, Tomori, Kilman or Branthwaite would all be more interesting choices.

Roux

Not only should he go to the Euro's, he should be in the first 11.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Along with Saka, Kane, Rice, Bellingham, Walker, and Stones, he’s one of 7 players that are so good there is no justifiable challenge to their position in the side.

With Pickford locked in, there are only 3 spots in the team up for grabs. Maguire will play as we’ve not seen anything good enough from any of the other options, mainly as Southgate hasn’t experimented enough.

Mainoo has to start every important game at that tournament. England now have one of the best midfield threes in international football. Not just individually but as a set of three great players that fully complement each other.

RedRocket08

Well deserved player of the match award for him I feel - he created the chance that led to the first England goal with a lovely bit of dribbling, made a superb 1v1 for Bellingham, made a clear chance for Bowen as well and was generally really forward thinking while being composed with his play.

The problems for England are with that goalkeeper whom I’ve never rated (I think Ramsdale is a better pick even though he currently lacks match sharpness), and 2 weak choices in the LCB role.

Unam333

Surely, no United fan wants Southgate to be the next United manager?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Keep general England discussion in that thread please and keep this one for Mainoo and his performances.

spiriticon

I'm absolutely chuffed for Kobbie and I think he's probably the best midfielder we've produced since Scholes, but let's give him more space to grow up.

I want him to be more like Scholes and less like Pogba.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I'm absolutely chuffed for Kobbie and I think he's probably the best midfielder we've produced since Scholes, but let's give him more space to grow up.

I want him to be more like Scholes and less like Pogba.
I believe he already is. He is a bone fide centre mid who understands the game in that position and can dictate like Scholes. Pogba was more of an attacking hybrid player, the one thing Kobbie needs to improve though is getting up to 80/90 passes per game like Scholes and Pogba.

Doracle

Along with Saka, Kane, Rice, Bellingham, Walker, and Stones, he’s one of 7 players that are so good there is no justifiable challenge to their position in the side.

With Pickford locked in, there are only 3 spots in the team up for grabs. Maguire will play as we’ve not seen anything good enough from any of the other options, mainly as Southgate hasn’t experimented enough.

Mainoo has to start every important game at that tournament. England now have one of the best midfield threes in international football. Not just individually but as a set of three great players that fully complement each other.
Shaw and Rashford should also be locked in. We have no one else close to either of them on the left side, if Shaw is fit.

Kaizane

Not a single reason for Mainoo not to be at the tournament this summer from an England perspective.

Blood Mage

Southgate is a negative cnut who hates using progressive players so I don't expect Kobbie to be anything more than a bench option at the Euros.

glazed

My only concern about Mainoo is that he relies heavily on one particular talent of being insanely press resistant to draw a bunch of players in and then release the ball into space having taken them all out of the game.

Now that's a great trick that hardly anyone can do, but once people know about it they surely won't press him in that way. Luckily he has other skills but he's not necessarily going to look this good every game.

mav_9me

Lee Dixon called it man of the match recently…commentating on a man’s game.

he then checked himself and said ohh sorry, player of the match

What a blamonje
I don't get it. In the men's game it's man of the match. In the women's game it's woman of the match no? Seems fairly simple.

dubplate warrior

My only concern about Mainoo is that he relies heavily on one particular talent of being insanely press resistant to draw a bunch of players in and then release the ball into space having taken them all out of the game.

Now that's a great trick that hardly anyone can do, but once people know about it they surely won't press him in that way. Luckily he has other skills but he's not necessarily going to look this good every game.
He can beat a man and pass through the lines. Whether you press him or not he's a problem!

Reactions: Fortitude

Teja

I mean once he starts running forwards with the ball in the middle of the pitch, the press has to come. If he's good enough to force the opposition to drop off that's enough of a reason to just have him in the side.

Walters_19_MuFc

Isn't that going to be easier for him?

AneRu

If they don't press him then he will do whatever he wants on the pitch. He has got a great understanding of the game, he will add more feathers to his game or simply reveal them as he gets more settled.

glazed

I mean once he starts running forwards with the ball in the middle of the pitch, the press has to come. If he's good enough to force the opposition to drop off that's enough of a reason to just have him in the side.
Yeah this is true to some extent. But it's like a defender committing himself instead of staying on his feet. Once they're sucked in they're screwed if they get it wrong. Dropping off Mainoo will create new problems but maybe better ones from opposition perspective.

glazed

I don't get it. In the men's game it's man of the match. In the women's game it's woman of the match no? Seems fairly simple.
Broadcasters think that MotM alienates the women in the audience. It's stupid but that's what they think.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Broadcasters think that MotM alienates the women in the audience. It's stupid but that's what they think.
Surely the fact that no women are playing alienates them, rather than deciding which particular male played the best?

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

So you’re saying the solution for opposing players is to leave him open, and that’s supposed to be a problem for us?

marktan

Shaw and Rashford should also be locked in. We have no one else close to either of them on the left side, if Shaw is fit.
Imo this is probably our best team:

Pickford
Shaw - Konsa - Stones - Walker/James
Rice - Bellingham - Mainoo/Gallagher
Saka - Kane - Grealish

The / ones are where it's a toss up between either depending on form (Mainoo more so due to age). Foden will likely start on the LW but he's been underwhelming for England there. He should be first sub alongside Bowen on the other side. Rashford is probably a second sub out wide for England and rightly so. Maddison first sub for the AM position.

Given that Bellingham and Mainoo/Gallagher are all capable of getting into the box, I feel Grealish gives more balance as he's more of a natural wide player and creator, whereas Foden instinctively likes to come into the middle more, where it's already pretty congested. It's 90% likely to be Foden starting out wide again though, to the detriment of England. If Grealish had gotten more minutes against France in the world cup, alongside not subbing Saka for Sterling, I really believe we would've beaten them. And then who knows..

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Yeah this is true to some extent. But it's like a defender committing himself instead of staying on his feet. Once they're sucked in they're screwed if they get it wrong. Dropping off Mainoo will create new problems but maybe better ones from opposition perspective.
There aren’t many teams in top leagues that don’t press the opposition midfielders. Perhaps 10-15 years ago some bottom half teams could’ve done that but I haven’t really seen that in today’s game.

Walters_19_MuFc

Lets hope they will be club and international team mates next season
If Toney costs about 40, maybe 50M at a stretch, then I'd be up for buying him, but for the price Brentford will be asking for him, especially when we already have Hojlund at the club, won't be worth it. Good player, though.

Or maybe you meant Mainoo to Brentford? :p

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout

He’s got a decent passing range. Give him space and he’ll find our forwards making runs behind the oppo defense.