View full 2023-24 profile

6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
More so in Casemiro's place. Although long term, you need a proper partner for Mainoo.
Definitely, we do. However, I am talking about for the rest of the season. Since his comeback from injury, the guy has literally started every game in a hopeless set-up. He has started to look a little ineffective off late. It might be a good idea to let him come off the bench at least for a couple of games.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Definitely, we do. However, I am talking about for the rest of the season. Since his comeback from injury, the guy has literally started every game in a hopeless set-up. He has started to look a little ineffective off late. It might be a good idea to let him come off the bench at least for a couple of games.
Let him play we only have about 8 games left.

criticalanalysis

What a goal!

He needs to work on the defensive side of the game. He will probably never become an excellent tackler nor dominant in the air and he doesn't need to, but he still needs to read the game and move better off the ball so that he can put more pressure on the opponent and pick up a few second balls. I'd also like to see him get more involved in the game, but he's still a kid playing in a chaotic system so I don't blame him for that.
I actually think his defensive contributions and aerials in open play is quite decent. His biggest two issues are the fact he's being asked to press high/mark the opposition player, which means he will be waaaaay ahead of the play in the opposition box and his inexperience on set pieces. When he's been asked to sit deeper, he's very capable; not a one mean defence by any means but his output is more than enough collectively.

Remember the geese

A hopeless set up is right. If we ever play a system where the distances are shorter and he's playing a bit deeper, then he'll be fine. As it is, one ball cuts through the midfield and teams are running at our back 4.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Except it doesn't work like that. It's never the match days that actually decides someone's career. If that was the case , there would never be brilliant players from teams coached badly than ETH or United.
Match days, coaching, whatever. I'd argue that a lot of our players play how they do because they've not been drilled into playing a good brand of football at all. They don't have the instincts to rely on because they're not doing it week after week, and when they're tested on the pitch their game falls apart. Does it stay with them forever? Maybe. Does it mean we don't get to see these players reach their full potential? It's hard to prove either way. But when I see Bruno and what he does instinctively, even when he should ignore his instincts, that's because he's being asked to do that week after week. If he'd have gone to play under Klopp, for example, or Pep, I think you'd have seen a much more well rounded player than you have now.

Even going back to Fergie's time, look at how he handled prodigal talents. Ronaldo is an example of a player that could have easily been ruined playing in a worse team or under a manager that didn't steer him properly.

I think Hojlund and Garnacho are players at higher risk of not developing here, because they're relied upon for their physical abilities and when that's nullified, they're completely lost. Rashford is a perfect example, he's been taught to run as fast as he can with his head down, shoot on sight etc. Now teams have figured his one dimensional style out, he can't seem to come up with anything else. Give him space in behind and that's what he's taught to feed on. Close his space and block him on the inside and he's ineffective.

I could guarantee that if Pep had Mainoo, he'd look even better. He's operate when pressed better, he'd control games more, he'd probably be even more of a goal threat too.

arnie_ni

Thought he had a poor first half but was alot better 2nd. The goal was sublime

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
That was his 7th start in last 30 days, right? And 8th was sub appearance for England.

He is 18, he shouldn't be playing that much games to be fair, and he can be excused for losing the ball few times more than usual, but what a goal that was!

diarm

I could guarantee that if Pep had Mainoo, he'd look even better. He's operate when pressed better, he'd control games more, he'd probably be even more of a goal threat too.
Because Pep has such a stellar record for bringing through young fellas?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
That was his 7th start in last 30 days, right? And 8th was sub appearance for England.

He is 18, he shouldn't be playing that much games to be fair, and he can be excused for losing the ball few times more than usual, but what a goal that was!
He plays about an hour a game at most. His minutes are being managed well.

pocco

loco
Because Pep has such a stellar record for bringing through young fellas?
Yes? And it's off topic slightly, but he also doesn't stand in their way if they want to move on for more football, even for a rival club like Palmer. If they're good enough he gives them the chance to play. He'd turn Mainoo into a beast of a player. Fergie would have too. I don't think ETH will.

BuzzKillington

Agree totally. The league has gone at this stage we’re in the conference pretty much assuredly at this point. The focus now needs to be on winning the cup and having a look at some players, or putting others in the shop window.

But give Mainoo a break, he’s probably going to the Euros.

Brightonian

It's hurting him to play this artificially advanced starting position. Looked like a sort of man-marking brief on Mac Allister today too.

He's good in tight spaces in front of goal, clearly. But he'd be getting into those positions during attacks anyway. His starting position should be much deeper, to help us play the ball out under pressure and progress up the field.

We have both Mount and Bruno as AM options. In DM/CM we have Casemiro, Amrabat and McT. That's where Mainoo is needed.

Raven

Being fed to the wolves by our folically challenged con man, none of our midfielders are as bad as the system is making them look.

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
Beautiful goal, hoping he doesn't get trashed under the weight of this messy messy side and period.

PD: I didn't get either that sort of task of shadowing Mac Allister, it's loosing his best assets to try to mark one of the best press resistant players out there. You want that, put some nasty dorky with lots of stamina and dark arts to get Mac Allister out of his game or rythim, but do not wate this talented kid on that, more when United lacks control of the mid and the ball.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yes? And it's off topic slightly, but he also doesn't stand in their way if they want to move on for more football, even for a rival club like Palmer. If they're good enough he gives them the chance to play. He'd turn Mainoo into a beast of a player. Fergie would have too. I don't think ETH will.
Such a weird argument to pick when his development is coming along so nicely. “He’d be better under another manager!” Who gives a shit? Can’t we just enjoy how well he’s doing in our team, right now?

Abraxas

What a beautiful goal that was. Perfect technique. Very hopeful in a couple years he could be a very special player. At the moment he's a special talent but he has the potential and seems to have the character to actually become that top player.

It's just experience, positioning, consistency throughout a match and it would help if we were a better side and he had better support. We're a shite possession team so that really doesn't help a player with his abilities.

criticalanalysis

He’s clearly got that curler from the left in the bag. The fact he’s a danger dribbling into box is exciting. As a box to box playmaker he’s going to be really good.
Two curlers into the right inside net and a cut back finish into the far left inside net.

Need a couple of outside the box screamers and some late run penalty box headers to complete the midfield set.

OverratedOpinion

He was a bit meh (a few moments of real quality) but today he gets the Bruno Fernandes (scored a stunning goal in front of the stretford end) against Liverpool pass.

Ekeke

So like almost every 18 year old he's inconsistent and has games where he's just decent or okay as well as his strong games. But today was another timely reminder of why the hype isnt wrong. He is special

For a player who isnt just attack minded and even if he was, that was an incredible goal. If you marked every part of it from the first touch and technique to take the ball, create a bit of space and then the finishing ability to put it in the top corner every individual part of that goal was 10/10

Meanwhile he made 5 tackles, 1 interception, blocked 2 shots and helped protect the backline for a very honest DM performance on top of the special goal

And thats why hes the highlight of the season

El Jefe

He seems to have hit a wall of late. You can still tell he's a super talent but no way he should be playing as much as he has lately, especially when you include the England games.

His midfield partners also aren't helping things. As bad as McT can be in midfield, there is at least a clear understanding that Mainoo is the main ball player in that duo. Playing alongside Casemiro who believes he's Xabi Alonso, doesn't help in recycling possession or getting him the touches he needs. Add Bruno to that equation and how ETH sets up the midfield and all the running he does has probably tired him.

lex talionis

I was dismayed to see Mainoo hammered as hard as he was on the matchday during the game before the goal. I thought he was brilliant throughout the match.

pocco

loco
Such a weird argument to pick when his development is coming along so nicely. “He’d be better under another manager!” Who gives a shit? Can’t we just enjoy how well he’s doing in our team, right now?
I don't think you can say his development is coming along, I think he's just a very talented player anyway. That still requires work and guidance to progress him to the top levels - top talent doesn't always equal top class as we know. But I have noticed over the last few games he's started to pick up a few bad habits and over the last two games in particular his performances have dropped.

I'm not doubting his talent and know full well that youngsters are inconsistent, but I don't think the way we play is going to develop him into the player I think he could be. That's all I'm saying. As I said though, I think it's a bigger issue for our youngsters in attack, who seem to be one dimensional and struggle in certain situations. I said it about Rashford and had responses like this, and now I think most would agree that he's not developed as well as he could have for, what I would argue, are largely the same reasons.

mu4c_20le

Thanks Erik for bringing him into the first team. But we should definitely be looking into appointing a better one next season before things get stale, and his development stunted.

RedStarUnited

Its an observation, not an argument. He is saying in a better system he would look even better. I give a shit because we could destroy him in the wrong environment. The same way I feel Rashford and Martial have been turned into lazy players because of the environment they have been in.

He’s clearly got that curler from the left in the bag. The fact he’s a danger dribbling into box is exciting. As a box to box playmaker he’s going to be really good.
Used to be a striker/winger until recently and his favourite player was Ronaldinho. We should not be making him play as DM/6, like you say it should be box-to-box.

Marcus

That was a great goal, but performance-wise he still has lots to improve and he will. Especially being aware not to turn the ball over in dangerous situations.

Red-17

It's hurting him to play this artificially advanced starting position. Looked like a sort of man-marking brief on Mac Allister today too.

He's good in tight spaces in front of goal, clearly. But he'd be getting into those positions during attacks anyway. His starting position should be much deeper, to help us play the ball out under pressure and progress up the field.

We have both Mount and Bruno as AM options. In DM/CM we have Casemiro, Amrabat and McT. That's where Mainoo is needed.
Exactly, you see players like Rodri get into the box plenty despite being a defensive 6 because City actually are capable of pinning teams in allowing players to cycle in and out meaning a midfielder or defender can make a forward run and not be afraid that their teammate is going to carelessly give it away two seconds later requiring them to sprint the length of the pitch. Kobbie would be a huge asset trying to break down low blocks because of his control in tight spaces, but we hardly ever even see it because we can't pin in bad teams never mind another top 6 team.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Fabregas played 46 games when he was 17/18.

Rooney had 46 games also.

Ronaldo had 30+ games.

Plenty of 18 yo players playing full season.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Fabregas played 46 games when he was 17/18.

Rooney had 46 games also.

Ronaldo had 30+ games.

Plenty of 18 yo players playing full season.
He's also not playing mid week games basically. The only problem (and it's not much of a problem, just really working him) is how much ground he has to cover every game and how much open space we have in midfield.