Kobbie Mainoo

Thiagoal

I’m not sure the position helped him today. He looks much better as a deeper player where he can get on the ball and dictate play

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
He’s obviously there for a reason if he’s amongst the first team at 17 and getting a start from the manager.. unfortunately I think the occasion got to him today.

All a learning curve.
Yeah, it's a first tentative step on hopefully a long road ahead for his career in senior football. He was being played out of his natural position (probably Ten Hag keeping him away from our own goal in case of jitters) and he was a bit overly keen to defer to his senior teammates, so we didn't see any of the swagger or the striding through the middle of the park that we get in the youth games from him.

He didn't do anything massively wrong though, and it'll be very valuable experience that he can build on as he gets a bit more comfortable in the first team surroundings.

Chip

Clearly not good enough. Has Chris Eagles and Rodrigo Possebon written all over him.

lol

Thiagoal

Not many players get to play for Man Utd aged 17. The fact he’s a central midfielder is even more rare! Can anyone think of any examples? Just shows how highly rated he is?

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Still probably much more inspiring that anything James Garner showed in a competitive game for us before. Some of these players just need a bit more confidence to grow and at 17 you can really have a shy game like this today. He's a long term project, rather than someone with agressive progress like Hannibal or Garnacho. Well rounded players are always like this..

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Will be a good experience for him today but also looked very much not ready for the senior pro level yet. Not much to see from his time out there in terms of what he did. CMs tend to take longer to break out, unless you are a Gavi/Pedri/Bellingham level prospect.

Bojan Djordjic

He looked like he has a very nice touch, was okay when he was on the ball but the positions he was getting in were very congested and he didn't get much time to do anything. Seems to be very composed though.

On a more negative note, I do wonder how these guys are coached at youth level. A lot of our academy players seem to suffer the McTominay curse of positioning themselves in cover shadows so that they are never an option in build up sequences. Kobbie was unfortunately guilty of it a lot. It's very frustrating and it's something you would imagine would be coached out of players of this level.

I think he needs to play a bit deeper to get more involved in the game but I guess the coaching staff may not want him in a position where his mistakes could be costly. Not that it stops them playing McTominay in that role, who looked like the worst player on either side tonight bar one gorgeous pass to Garnacho.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Will be a good experience for him today but also looked very much not ready for the senior pro level yet. Not much to see from his time out there in terms of what he did. CMs tend to take longer to break out, unless you are a Gavi/Pedri/Bellingham level prospect.
Yep - all good he has plenty of time.

TheLittleOne

Not a good game but i totally agree. Hes young and not quite ready yet. We shouldnt judge him on this game and it was a good opportunity for him to learn and see where he has to improve. I think it was a good decision to give him some playing time and while we made the game harder for us than it needed to be after half time, I never had the feeling we might loose..all in all it was quite comfortable. A good game to try some things and im especially happy Pellistri finally got some game time hes a few years ahead of Mainoo in development. Also we dont know how these players personalities are its where man management becomes very important. As a good coach you need to know how to treat the players. The young players you have to tease them with playing time in easy games to tell them there is a chance for them to get into the first team.

Last edited:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Not many players get to play for Man Utd aged 17. The fact he’s a central midfielder is even more rare! Can anyone think of any examples? Just shows how highly rated he is?
Duncan Edwards, Norman Whiteside, was going to say Nobby Stiles but I think he might have been 18.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Over 50 players have played for United aged 17 or younger but only nine of them in a true centre-midfield role. Most were forwards/wide players.

Anyway, before Mainoo here is the list:

Garner, Butt, Beckham, Clark, Grimshaw, Nicholson, McGuinness, Edwards, Whitefoot.

Duncan Edwards and Geoffrey Whitefoot were both 16-years-old.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Over 50 players have played for United aged 17 or younger but only nine of them in a true centre-midfield role. Most were forwards/wide players.

Anyway, before Mainoo here is the list:

Garner, Butt, Beckham, Clark, Grimshaw, Nicholson, McGuinness, Edwards, Whitefoot.

Duncan Edwards and Geoffrey Whitefoot were both 16-years-old.
Fletcher is unlucky to not be on that list.

GueRed

his starting position was quite high up the pitch last night. Often found himself alongside Elanga..

steady debut.

next time i would like to see him get on the ball more, initiate moves from deep, express himself.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
For those who care about squad numbers, it looks like he's gone to 37 from 73 last season.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Disgrace. He's done nothing to warrant that mythical number. James Garner would be turning in his grave if he was dead.

KevinJoh

He was very good today. This time not a single mistake, like he belongs in the team. In the first one he had mistake at the edge of the box when they started counter, but today he did not put a foot wrong. Lets hope he will get playing time once big names are back as kid definitely have a future in this team.

The Irish Connection

He was very good today. This time not a single mistake, like he belongs in the team. In the first one he had mistake at the edge of the box when they started counter, but today he did not put a foot wrong. Lets hope he will get playing time once big names are back as kid definitely have a future in this team.
Yeah, thought we was good too. Lovely block in his own box, shows he has defensive ability too.

Bertie Wooster

Yeah, he was very good today and looked very comfortable and not out of place at all.

Always easier for relatively average youngsters to look OK in pre-season games played at a slower tempo. But there's a difference between that, and an exciting talent really standing out and highlighting their technical quality and composure on the ball - as well as good work rate off it as well. And Mainoo (and Hannibal) have really looked the latter so far.

As you say, minutes will probably be lessened as the bigger names return. But hopefully they'll get enough time to continue to impress and show what they have to offer in the long term.

Gordon S

Only one thread to discuss a players perfomance?
Bold suggestion but i like it!