Kobbie Mainoo

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
What kind of player is he and what's his ceiling?
Box-to-box midfielder who surges through the middle of the park with the ball for fun and has a nice range of passing. Very good physicality for his age group, but won't be able to rely on that in the men's game yet of course.

It's always relatively unlikely to happen with any youth prospect, but if he was to reach his absolute top level, we wouldn't need to sign De Jong because we'd already have our own. :devil:

Edwards6

This is one of the main reasons I wanted Ten Hag because he gives youth players a chance, just got to hope Mainoo takes it now because he looks a great talent

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Great to see him start although I’d prefer if it wasn’t in such a disjointed team.

BorisManUtd

Never heard of him before tonight but I also don't follow youth team at all. Big night for him.

CallyRed

Looking forward to the usual "not United quality" posts after seeing a youngster play for the first time.

joedirt87

I assume he's overtaken Iqbal with the start tonight. Lets see what he can do.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Will he play in the middle 2? Or in the Bruno role?
He's a #6 in the build up phase and #8 in transition. So I'd describe him as a deep roaming playmaker who is best utilised next to a positionally disciplined midfielder like a Casemiro in a two man midfield.

I think tonight it'll be interesting to see how he does and where he plays. I think personally, he'll be utilised as the most advanced midfielder tonight but he will look to drop deeper to influence play and I expect him to play as the #8 and #10 tonight. He's still only 17, but the potential is there.

red thru&thru

He's a #6 in the build up phase and #8 in transition. So I'd describe him as a deep roaming playmaker who is best utilised next to a positionally disciplined midfielder like a Casemiro in a two man midfield.

I think tonight it'll be interesting to see how he does and where he plays. I think personally, he'll be utilised as the most advanced midfielder tonight but he will look to drop deeper to influence play and I expect him to play as the #8 and #10 tonight. He's still only 17, but the potential is there.
Thanks for the reply.

I've also go the same view as you but I'd say he needs to play his natural position. Fred should be the more advanced. Best way to judge him.

redom

Good luck to the lad! A strong performance could see him considered later in the season but even if he struggles it's great experience for him and hopefully those around him will give him plenty of help.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Thanks for the reply.

I've also go the same view as you but I'd say he needs to play his natural position. Fred should be the more advanced. Best way to judge him.
I'd like to see him operate as the connector which is his most natural role imo. And you could be right, ten Hag may well play him deeper next to either McFred.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Did nothing of note in that half. Nothing to suggest he'll make it here thus far. You could tell with some players, they just have thay x factor to make it here, he sadly hasn't got that yet. Someone bite.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Did nothing of note in that half. Nothing to suggest he'll make it here thus far. You could tell with some players, they just have thay x factor to make it here, he sadly hasn't got that yet. Someone bite.
There we have it. 17 year old kid plays 45 minutes out of position and he's already been written off. :lol:

This fecking place sometimes.

EDIT: Damn you! Tiny white text is extra sneaky :( But some of the match thread comments have been along the same lines to be fair.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Was about to :lol:

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
There we have it. 17 year old kid plays 45 minutes out of position and he's already been written off. :lol:

This fecking place sometimes.

Damn you! Tiny white text is extra sneaky :(
:drool:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I was seething until I noticed the white text :lol:

sport2793

Was a quiet debut, didn't make a major mistake but should have probably shot the ball once or twice rather than lay the ball off. Only 17 so will be interesting to see how he develops.

TheReligion

Abusive
Didn’t really impose himself on the match but with Elanga and McT having stinkers around him, it didn’t help. Sort of an anonymous/average performance. Good run out for the lad though.
Thanks. shame he wasn’t in the midfield with someone like Eriksen as that would have helped his game somewhat.

PSV

It's not his fault. Erik handpicked for him some VDB clips to study from back when he played for him at Ajax and an employee erroneously updated them.

DevTheRed

He’s obviously there for a reason if he’s amongst the first team at 17 and getting a start from the manager.. unfortunately I think the occasion got to him today.

All a learning curve.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
With young players you need the right approach.

If I were ten Hag I'd give him the hairdryer treatment in front of his team mates.