Konrad Laimer

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
ahhh....didn't realize he was in the last year of his contract. Munich seem the likely destination but with them getting Gravenbach, that may have closed the door for him.
Tolisso has left but i think they would have to sell Sabitzer as well in order to really go for Laimer.

bosskeano

Tolisso has left but i think they would have to sell Sabitzer as well in order to really go for Laimer.
Sabitzer and Laimer are similar type of players so would it be an upgrade or someone that Nagelsman is just more comfortable working with?

Resch

Sabitzer and Laimer are similar type of players so would it be an upgrade or someone that Nagelsman is just more comfortable working with?
Sabitzer is more creative then Laimer. Laimer is a human pressing maschine. He hunts the ball every second on the pitch, his passing and finishing is not World class.
Sabitzer was a RW, he knows how to creat, but his workrate is nothing compared to Laimer.
If you need an CM, who could operate on the RW and do a little bit of everything, Sabitzer ist good option. If you want someone who works for 90 mins, fights for every ball, Laimer is the player. You can not compare them!

Abraxas

I would have thought this guy would be snapped up at such a relatively modest price given how he has been sold on here. Is he that great? I think we'd have already bought him if Ralf was in charge but I'm pretty sure the whole idea has died a death with his departure.

OleGunnar20

Awesome player, especially at that price. He'd fit the PL like a glove too - Super hard working, efficient in posession, a nightmare to play against no doubt. Problem as I see it is that he's basically a better Fred. With all the work we need to do, is a Fred upgrade anywhere near the top of the list? Would he work alongside, for example, FDJ and Bruno? I'm not sure. But then that kind of logic didn't stop us from getting Malacia!

Oranges038

Ah the old Bayern Munich trick.

Tell them you are coming to us for free next year and we'll get you for a few million this year.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

Tell them you are coming to us for free next year and we'll get you for a few million this year.
Then you should try that trick as well, if it is so easy to pull off. ;)

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Only works when you are the biggest bully in a one team league.
I forgot that English clubs are not allowed to buy outside of England and that Bundesliga players are forced to stay in Germany.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I forgot that English clubs are not allowed to buy outside of England and that Bundesliga players are forced to stay in Germany.
No English club is guaranteed to win the league.

Oranges038

Never said that.

Whenever Bayern come knocking the other teams in the league bend over, lube themselves up and hell, probably even give themselves a reach around. Just to make sure they are happy.

aeh1991

Awesome player, especially at that price. He'd fit the PL like a glove too - Super hard working, efficient in posession, a nightmare to play against no doubt. Problem as I see it is that he's basically a better Fred. With all the work we need to do, is a Fred upgrade anywhere near the top of the list? Would he work alongside, for example, FDJ and Bruno? I'm not sure. But then that kind of logic didn't stop us from getting Malacia!
If I remember correctly he has played a lot of games as a 6 for RBL, alongside a more offensive player such as Haidara, Keita or Sabitzer. I agree he has a similar profile to Fred but is a bit taller and can play as a lone 6 while Fred is more a box to box. I reckon he would be a perfect counterpart to FDJ and Bruno.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
If I remember correctly he has played a lot of games as a 6 for RBL, alongside a more offensive player such as Haidara, Keita or Sabitzer. I agree he has a similar profile to Fred but is a bit taller and can play as a lone 6 while Fred is more a box to box. I reckon he would be a perfect counterpart to FDJ and Bruno.
I struggle to see any quality of his that would make him a good pick for a "lone 6".

His technique isn't (nearly) good enough to be the central player of his team during build up, his passing is not (nearly) good enough to pull the strings in midfield and his defensive instinct is to vacate his position and press players. Now that I've spelled it out I can actually see that he would be a typical United DM signing. It's it up there with "Sancho will fix our RW! :drool: ".

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I struggle to see any quality of his that would make him a good pick for a "lone 6".

His technique isn't (nearly) good enough to be the central player of his team during build up, his passing is not (nearly) good enough to pull the strings in midfield and his defensive instinct is to vacate his position and press players. Now that I've spelled it out I can actually see that he would be a typical United DM signing.
So he’s just a roving presser like Fred but without Fred’s talent or creativity and in a weaker league than the PL but he’s still a better version of Fred because he’s stronger or something. Poor Fred with fans like ours.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany

His technique isn't (nearly) good enough to be the central player of his team during build up, his passing is not (nearly) good enough to pull the strings in midfield and his defensive instinct is to vacate his position and press players. Now that I've spelled it out I can actually see that he would be a typical United DM signing.
Yea he's the type to play alongside a more technical defensive midfielder who can orchestrate things for them.

Laimer showed more offensive qualities last season by making more runs into the box and getting into goalscoring positions. He would be the player to aggressively press the opposition when on defense and try to transition quickly when on it during attack, and then get into the box to score.

Goretzka is similar, Laimer I would say is better defensively while Goretzka is better offensively but both play the B2B role well.

OleGunnar20

So he’s just a roving presser like Fred but without Fred’s talent or creativity and in a weaker league than the PL but he’s still a better version of Fred because he’s stronger or something. Poor Fred with fans like ours.
My impression of Laimer is that he's stronger defensively than Fred, a more effective presser and safer (+ more reliable) in possession.

Freds passing can be erratic at times and he's not exactly secure defensively, though he obviously works his socks off. He's got more creativity to his game than Laimer though I'd say and in a functioning system would be more effective going forward.

Two slight variations of the same hustle and bustle midfield archetype. I think Fred would do well under ETH, but wouldn't say no to laimer were he available.

All seems pretty moot anyway, still looks dead cert for Bayern no?

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Whenever Bayern come knocking the other teams in the league bend over, lube themselves up and hell, probably even give themselves a reach around. Just to make sure they are happy.
Unfortunately not since Havertz, KdB and others went elsewhere.
But I'll leave it at that and you can stick to your worn out and boring narrative.

Oranges038

Unfortunately not since Havertz, KdB and others went elsewhere.
But I'll leave it at that and you can stick to your worn out and boring narrative.
Only boring because it's true.

It also funny, because the league, other clubs and fans were totally against the RB football/business model. But here we have it, seems they have no problem with the model now when RB Bayern Munich are becoming the biggest beneficiaries of it on the pitch.

aeh1991

His technique isn't (nearly) good enough to be the central player of his team during build up, his passing is not (nearly) good enough to pull the strings in midfield and his defensive instinct is to vacate his position and press players. Now that I've spelled it out I can actually see that he would be a typical United DM signing. It's it up there with "Sancho will fix our RW! :drool: ".
I actually didn't imply that he should play as a lone 6. I just think FDJ needs a hardworking, pressing DM next to him to unleash his qualities, so for me, Laimer would suit that role perfectly. While Fred would be another option, I think Laimer brings more defensive qualities than him and for obvious reasons McTominay should not even be a starting option. DVB would be too offensive to play in a MF three with FDJ and one of Eriksen/Bruno.

Abraxas

My impression of Laimer is that he's stronger defensively than Fred, a more effective presser and safer (+ more reliable) in possession.

Freds passing can be erratic at times and he's not exactly secure defensively, though he obviously works his socks off. He's got more creativity to his game than Laimer though I'd say and in a functioning system would be more effective going forward.

Two slight variations of the same hustle and bustle midfield archetype. I think Fred would do well under ETH, but wouldn't say no to laimer were he available.

All seems pretty moot anyway, still looks dead cert for Bayern no?
The stats don't suggest he's safer or more reliable in possession than Fred. Fred makes more passes at a better rate and more progressive ones too.

Not saying that this guy might not be useful though, but it would be a bit of a strange profile when we've got Fred and McTominay that have been screaming out for more partnerships that allow them to roam. De Jong makes a ton of sense and I would think another signing should probably also be a player that can build play and/or is strong defensively so we have a range of options.

Ekeke

The stats don't suggest he's safer or more reliable in possession than Fred. Fred makes more passes at a better rate and more progressive ones too.

Not saying that this guy might not be useful though, but it would be a bit of a strange profile when we've got Fred and McTominay that have been screaming out for more partnerships that allow them to roam. De Jong makes a ton of sense and I would think another signing should probably also be a player that can build play and/or is strong defensively so we have a range of options.
But if you actually watch you'd see Fred mess up several simple ones per game too. Have you seen Laimer do that consistently?

Laimer is another class of player entirely to Fred or McTominay. They shouldnt even come into the discussion.

1:35 into this video you see what Laimer is looking to do against City's midfield. McTom and Fred wouldnt even dare think of trying a forward pass like that, let alone execute it and set up a goal for the one forward. And thats City's midfield where you dont get a lot of time on the ball

Last edited:

Abraxas

But if you actually watch you'd see Fred mess up several simple ones per game too. Have you seen Laimer do that consistently?

Laimer is another class of player entirely to Fred or McTominay. They shouldnt even come into the discussion.
What do you mean if I "actually watch"?
Stick to the footballing point rather than cheap swipes as it does you no favours.

He must misplace passes consistently otherwise they'd be finding teammates at a more consistent rate than Fred, that seems fairly intuitive to me. He's also landing progressive passes at a similar rate so I would need some convincing that there is a massive difference in the profile of their passes that would allow the assertion that he's a more consistent and better passer to be demonstrated.

I think it's just the usual Fred underrating to be honest. As usual not backed up by performances over the years or stats.

Ekeke

Stick to the footballing point rather than cheap swipes as it does you no favours.

He must misplace passes consistently otherwise they'd be finding teammates at a more consistent rate than Fred, that seems fairly intuitive to me. He's also landing progressive passes at a similar rate so I would need some convincing that there is a massive difference in the profile of their passes that would allow the assertion that he's a more consistent and better passer to be demonstrated.

I think it's just the usual Fred underrating to be honest. As usual not backed up by performances over the years or stats.
I'll do as I wish

Fred gets more of the ball. Plays more passes, has more chances to move the ball forward, etc. Of the many passes he makes over a match (average 48) he will make 2 or 3 that go out for a throw in when a teammate is 3 yards away, or play the ball across the midfield and it'll be intercepted because he got it wrong etc. I dont know any website that counts failed easy passes and times that a ball is lost in their own half with a careless pass without extreme pressure on the ball, but if there was one I'm sure Fred would be higher than most. And thats the other side to the "more passes, higher percentage" side of things. Yes, he gets more of the ball at United than Laimer for his team. And most of his passes are accurate. And then he'll have a severe brain fart and give the ball to the other team in a bad area or without having a mistake forced. Fred is a player who has good moments like a good pass, but also many bad moments which can be costly. But he's constantly in the DM position to pick up the ball so he gets to play the ball a lot and he works hard with his running so he's usually in the mix when the opponent are moving the ball through midfield, so he can attempt a press or a tackle with medium success. So the numbers accumulate but it only takes 1 error to be responsible for the opponent's team to get the ball in your half, break and have a shot on goal

If you swapped the players though then Laimer is the one being given lots of the ball in the DM position at United. His numbers go up a lot. Meanwhile Fred's would drastically decrease because he's playing for RB and they hold onto the ball a lot less than us, and counter with far better effect using forward passes to set players free. Fred would be expected to do what Laimer does and play those creative passes with more regularity and from what hes shown at United, he wouldnt. That was one of the things most talked about when Ralph came in and for 1 game Fred was great and he did make several good forward passes and then he was back to normal. So he had the oppertunity to do it here and didnt.

georgipep

But the eye test!

OleGunnar20

Oh fair enough, well the stats dont lie. Easier league too. I can't say I've checked his stats all that closely, just the impression I got from watching a few of his games Vs endless hours of United flavoured depression :lol:

Green_Red

How did you forget that, its such a basic principle of German and English transfer policy.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Obviously grass is always greener syndrom all over here again - our best midfielder the past 3 years Fred is worse than some Bundesliga player's highlights showing only the good side of him. Can only laugh really because most of you have all this time in the world to watch "some" Konrad Leimer regularly.

Many midfielders who came to the Prem and end up at lesser or bigger clubs were better than "insert your scapegoat midfielder" and absolutely failed. But you just need a shiny new toy and a reason to complain about.

Believe it or not but Fred will start most of the games because he's still overall our best midfielder and only player who can win the ball back consistently and step up in big games since Herrera.. and someone who will slot in very well in ETH's system..

aeh1991

Having watched both players I am pretty convinced Laimer is a better player than Fred and will also have a higher ceiling.

Leipzig just said that there hasn't been any offers yet for Laimer.

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München

We lost Alaba and Boateng for free last season and Tolisso and Süle for free this season. Aren't we allowed to have free transfers? Though it really is funny to see such reactions for a player like Laimer, someone most Bayern fans wouldn't really be excited about even for free (for the record, I also have mixed feelings about him).

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
there’s a lot of bollocks talked about german football. i’ve been to germany many times and talked football with more germans than i care to remember and they tell a very different story. according to them selling a player to bayern munchen for cheap is the highest award that be bestowed upon any german club. the dortmund badge for example has two stars above it to symbolise the transfers of lewa and hummels.

OleGunnar20

Obviously grass is always greener syndrom all over here again - our best midfielder the past 3 years Fred is worse than some Bundesliga player's highlights showing only the good side of him. Can only laugh really because most of you have all this time in the world to watch "some" Konrad Leimer regularly.

Many midfielders who came to the Prem and end up at lesser or bigger clubs were better than "insert your scapegoat midfielder" and absolutely failed. But you just need a shiny new toy and a reason to complain about.

Believe it or not but Fred will start most of the games because he's still overall our best midfielder and only player who can win the ball back consistently and step up in big games since Herrera.. and someone who will slot in very well in ETH's system..
I agree that Fred has been our best midfielder for a while (not that there's been much competition) and will likely do well under ETH.

Let's not claim he's been anything more than Fine though really. He's got a lot of decent attributes but some areas where he seriously lacks too. I'm sure he'll improve and that's great, but on the other hand there are many midfielders in the world who I'd take ahead of him. I'm sure many would cost quite a bit less than he did too (was it 40-50m or so?).

I'm no expert on Laimer, but you don't have to be to watch some footage and check out his stats. He looks very good at his particular role and I think he'd do well in the PL.

Off to Bayern though it seems?

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
there’s a lot of bollocks talked about german football. i’ve been to germany many times and talked football with more germans than i care to remember and they tell a very different story. according to them selling a player to bayern munchen for cheap is the highest award that be bestowed upon any german club. the dortmund badge for example has two stars above it to symbolise the transfers of lewa götze and hummels.
Fixed it for you