Film Kraven the Hunter (2023)

RedDevilQuebecois

About damn time he gets his own movie. And it's one of the very few Marvel movies to appropriately get the Rated R treatment.

You will recognize Alessandro Nivola's voice as he introduces himself as Rhino.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Good trailer but I'd still wager this'll be shit.

Oldyella

It doesn't look terrible, which is what I was expecting.

Like the nod to Fearful symmetry too with the line about his mother.

Hamnat

Good Lord. So they are going with a supernatural route here instead of just human thrill hunter type. All the live action non Spider Man Sony spinoffs are iffy from the concept without using Spider Man directly.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The R-rating may give it a teeny, weeny bump at the box office but in general I'm expecting a flop with this.
Also, who cares about Kraven the Hunter ?

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
It's funny that superhero movies are now scraping the bottom of the barrel and giving D-tier characters like Kraven and Morbius films.

Fully expecting Gorilla Grodd and Squirrel Girl films next year.

decorativeed

Why don't Sony just admit they don't know what they are doing and sell the rights back to Marvel? This looks even worse than I'd expected. They've not made a good live action superhero film for 20 years.

Unam333

Aaron Taylor-Johnson looks like a miscast. Too boyish looking.

decorativeed

Didn’t mind it based on the trailer. Have a little hope that the R rating will at least make it a decent nights entertainment and not a total flop.
From the trailer it just looks like the R rating just equals loads of people being stabbed and shot in various ways. Not sure how that adds up to better entertainment than a story, but it's clearly a built-in excuse as to why the box office for it will be dire.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
From the trailer it just looks like the R rating just equals loads of people being stabbed and shot in various ways. Not sure how that adds up to better entertainment than a story, but it's clearly a built-in excuse as to why the box office for it will be dire.
Each to their own, Ed. Decent nights entertainment to me equals some mindless action with some violence perhaps. A good story wouldn't go amiss but the chances of that isn't too likely, is it?

decorativeed

Each to their own, Ed. Decent nights entertainment to me equals some mindless action with some violence perhaps. A good story wouldn't go amiss but the chances of that isn't too likely, is it?
I can't really deal with too much stuff like that. I don't really see the need for the ever-increasing scale and amount of it. The 80s hyper-violent stuff I watched when I was younger at least looked just as fake as it was with its scarlet paint blood and flaps of latex skin and was as a result much easier to enjoy!

RedDevilQuebecois

I have never heard of the character before, but that trailer doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence.
I mostly remember the character from the 1994-1998 animated series featuring Spider-Man. He was not exactly an antagonist to Spider-Man, but he was more than capable of holding his ground well against basically anybody because of his background as a big-game hunter.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Why don't Sony just admit they don't know what they are doing and sell the rights back to Marvel? This looks even worse than I'd expected. They've not made a good live action superhero film for 20 years.
Cus they have a great deal tbh. They "share" Spiderman so get a peice of that sweet MCU pie, whilst being able to churn out crap after crap in their own "universe" which has loose tedious links to the MCU.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Sony mostly churn out really bad films and this will be no different.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I mostly remember the character from the 1994-1998 animated series featuring Spider-Man. He was not exactly an antagonist to Spider-Man, but he was more than capable of holding his ground well against basically anybody because of his background as a big-game hunter.
Was he bit by a radioactive lion, like in the trailer? "Just a really good hunter" sounds way more compelling.

Herman Toothrot

Was he bit by a radioactive lion, like in the trailer? "Just a really good hunter" sounds way more compelling.
He was just a hunter I think. However, it's hard to make a modern film where the protagonist's main selling point is killer of endangered animals.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I can't really deal with too much stuff like that. I don't really see the need for the ever-increasing scale and amount of it. The 80s hyper-violent stuff I watched when I was younger at least looked just as fake as it was with its scarlet paint blood and flaps of latex skin and was as a result much easier to enjoy!
Aye, no real complaints from my side. I just prefer switching off every so often and watching some mindless action/violence to finish off a long week at work, even if the quality isn't that great.

Probably part of the reason i enjoy "quality" action flicks (MI, Extraction, John Wick etc.) and series so much, because they are few and far between.

Hamnat

Yes his main comics background is big game hunter out for the next real challenge to hunt. But, always just peak human strength etc. Trailer has a kind of Punisher man on a mission vibe. Kraven is more likely to fight a lion almost naked with a bone knife for the challenge.

I don't mind them juicing him up on screen to get a more realistic challenge if he is going to be fighting Venom, or Rhino, or Spider Man. It makes sense to have him on more equal footing on a cinematic setting. But, trying to make him sympathetic or a wanna be do gooder who just happens to shred the enemies stabbing them in the face, going a bit farther than a "hero"....that is iffy.

RedDevilQuebecois

I forgot to mention the key detail.

In the context of the 1994-1998 series, Kraven was wounded while saving his fiancée Dr. Mariah Crawford, whose design was inspired by the actual Calypso. Then Crawford injected him a serum that healed him and strengthened his senses and physical abilities although it also caused him to become increasingly bestial and paranoid for a while before Spider-Man assisted Crawford in curing the negative side effects.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Looks like there'll be some fun action scenes but there was some real ropey CGI in there and why is Russell Crowe in another Marvel film with almost the same dodgy accent as the last time? Not that thrilled about ATJ playing a different Marvel character too. Is there an actor shortage or something?

Sylar

Guessing the post credit will have morbius or vulture :nervous:

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Have they run out of actors now so they're reusing actors who have been in previous Marvel films to be new actors in new marvel films?
Different franchises and creators completely.

I do genuinely wonder if the marvel banner does skew people's opinions on MCU.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
So what's the idea with all these Sony movies? They've done Venom, Morbius, they got Kraven and Rhino here. Are they planning a Spiderman vs Sinister 6 film?

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
So what's the idea with all these Sony movies? They've done Venom, Morbius, they got Kraven and Rhino here. Are they planning a Spiderman vs Sinister 6 film?
Theres been a sinister 6 film in the works for a while now but I doubt Spiderman will be apart of it. Atleast Peter Parker.

Andy_Cole

Randomly saw a post credits scene for Morbius - Michael Keaton's Vulture got transported (via the multiverse) into their world. He then found Morbius and asked to team up.

Hamnat

They would need a different deal to actually include MCU Spider Man. Sony has the rights they technically could. But, right now they are just abiding by the deal and hinting that it is the same universe. The only one of these Spiderman spinoffs that seem to naturally have enough material on it's own is Black Cat imo.

Anyone should be able to make a decent heist, action film with a sexy thief. Won't need powers, just use gadgets. The same problem though does anyone care without Spider man? And are they giving writing any priority or are they just trying to get the surprise money they got when Venom was a hit despite being pretty goofy really.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Different franchises and creators completely.

I do genuinely wonder if the marvel banner does skew people's opinions on MCU.
Is it not Marvel?
Kraven the Hunter is a Marvel character. It is directed by Sony, and Sony owns all the rights to Spiderman related stuff. This is as much Marvel as the MCU, which is directed by Disney.

Sony making a Marvel movie and Disney making a Marvel movie. Both are Marvel.

This is obviously not connected to the MCU and Avengers related stuff because that is the Disney Franchise. Venom, Morbius and Kraven is the Sony franchise.

Disney had rights to the Spiderman MCU stuff, but Spidey and everything related is still owned by Sony, for now.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Theres been a sinister 6 film in the works for a while now but I doubt Spiderman will be apart of it. Atleast Peter Parker.
They have been planning a Sinister 6 since The Amazing Spiderman movies, and now that Andrew Garfield was reintroduced in Far From Home, I wonder if Sony will decide to bring him back and finish what they planned all them years ago. Especially considering people seemed delighted that he reprised his role as Spiderman.