Kyle Walker signs for City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Can't believe what I'm seeing.
Yes he's technically limited but he's easily the best RB in the league. He's just off form.

Trizy

He thinks he's the English Dani Alves. Just lacking any of the actual ability that Alves had.
Bingo. You can clearly see by the way he struts around that he thinks he is unbelievable. The way he looks at other players when they foul him too.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Yes he's technically limited but he's easily the best RB in the league. He's just off form.
Doubt very much you'd be able to make any argument for him being the best right back in the league if he wasn't playing for City.

Being a fullback is actually quite easy when you're attacking 90% of the time. Yet in the games where City do struggle a bit he pretty much always looks lost.

That CL game at Anfielld last year was one of the most brainless performances you'll ever see from a player and not something you'd ever see from a genuine world class fullback. Just kept bombing ahead of the ball despite leavingthe pperson in possession with no pass to play and getting himself caught out time and time again.

I just find him annoyingly stupid. He has no game intelliegence yet plays with this weird arrogance. Even at Old Trafford last year. He's been booked and he does a blatant dive in front of the ref. Then he's delaying taking a throw for an age by slapping the ball back at the ball boy like a bellend and showing off to the camera about it. If the ref had seen that he would have been sent off and probably cost his team a game they were in complete control of. Top class footballers generally have a modicum of awareness and tend to try and help their team win rather than occasionally look like they're on a mission to help them lose.

RochaRoja

He always seems to be the one to blame whenever City have one of those mega shock games where they flop.
So three or four times a year then.

On the whole he’s been brilliant for them.

RochaRoja

He had a shocker tonight but tbh the whole team looks slow and cumbersome right now. Everyone was always amazed at their aggressive pressing and the pressure they put on their opponents but they now always seem to be a step too late and Walker always seemed at the end of these coming too late chains today.
City miss David Silva way more than De Bruyne when he’s not playing in my opinion.

NoLogo

City miss David Silva way more than De Bruyne when he’s not playing in my opinion.
It's probably both. De Bruyne could be compensated because B. Silva was in pretty good form for some time and D. Silva was in outrageous form before the injury but yes compensating both being out is impossible for them right now, that certainly is a big part of why they have dropped off a bit.

El Jefe

The criticism is true but you're also right.

He's one of the most physically gifted players I've seen. His strength and pace is right up there. If you're a defender and you're stronger and faster that nearly all the wingers you face, you've got a massive advantage. His short passing has improved as you'd expect under Pep and he's also had a great diagonal ball but generally speaking his attacking play is quite poor.

He will be fantastic against most teams but when it comes to key knockout CL games or a WC semi final etc he will be found wanting as the players he's up against will find ways around his physical qualities.

Cloud7

Doubt very much you'd be able to make any argument for him being the best right back in the league if he wasn't playing for City.
He was the best RB in the league even when he was still at Spurs IMO.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
He is a good player but he is in dire need of a rest. He has played too many games this season, especially after the world cup.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I don’t think he is particularly technically limited, as a RB anyway. His problem is a mental one, he has too many brain farts.

Ekeke

I thought he disproved the idea that he's just an athlete in the WC.

At Spurs that's all he looked like to me, and at City he was playing in such a good team with a clear identity that you could put it down to some kind of Guardiola effect. But England aren't a great team, he was playing in a totally different role and he was generally very good. He's clearly prone to the odd brainfart but the idea that he's technically limited is mad, IMO. He was a central part of City's build-up play last year with clever, cute, well executed passing last year. Glad he's starting to struggle now because Danilo's looked nowhere near as good as Walker at his best.
I wonder how exactly?

What did Walker do? He averaged 75.8 passes for England, which is the most of the squad which is good right. But Phil Jones was 2nd with 72.5

So what did he do that proved hes not just a fast player who isnt that great at most other things?

England's defense fell to pieces against Croatia and Belgium anyway

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He was the best RB in the league even when he was still at Spurs IMO.
I don't remember that. I thought he was a bit brainless at Spurs and was puzzled that City paid so much for him.

Spurs don't seem to have missed him much and I'm not sure city would either

Cloud7

I don't remember that. I thought he was a bit brainless at Spurs and was puzzled that City paid so much for him.

Spurs don't seem to have missed him much and I'm not sure city would either
So who would you say is the best rb in the league then?

steakpie

Did anyone else notice his positioning for England last night? Exactly what he does under Pep.

He almost comes half way into the pitch, and doesn't position himself anywhere near the by-line. I think it's bizarre, although I'm sure Pep knows better.

TheLastQuestion

Supports
Stevenage
Did anyone else notice his positioning for England last night? Exactly what he does under Pep.

He almost comes half way into the pitch, and doesn't position himself anywhere near the by-line. I think it's bizarre, although I'm sure Pep knows better.
Yep I noticed that last night.
There was a point when he had loads of space on the right, I would have expected any right footed player to use this space to run forward. Instead he played it inside and kept his position. Doesn't seem to like using his pace anymore, perhaps to prolong his own career.

Judas

Open to offers
Wasn't really tested, but honestly thought he was great going forward last night. Certainly not the performance that was worthy of the thread being bumped to bash him.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Looked better than he has done at times this season but still had a few suspect moments defensively. He looks to have put his little horror run of form behind at least from December/January. His pace remains his biggest asset, which I'm not sure is the most reassuring thing you want to hear about a defender but in a side like City's his pace alone has saved us countless times.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I like Walker and I'd say he's the best RB in the league purely on the fact the league lacks quality RB's. Azpi probably his only contender, I don't rate Trippier all that highly. When his pace goes he's going to fall hard I think. My biggest concern with him is he is lacksadaisical at time and mentally switches off a bit still. He misjudges the flight of the ball a fair bit, miscontrols a fair bit and misses passes he should never miss. I still think he may have eye sight problems. The amount it happens is unreal. Probably just mentally switching off but it's an issue. He's lucky now that his pace and physical attributes can bail him out more often than not, I worry when that starts to go.

That said saying he's just an athlete is doing him a disservice. He's a good footballer and a great athlete.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I like Walker and I'd say he's the best RB in the league purely on the fact the league lacks quality RB's. Azpi probably his only contender, I don't rate Trippier all that highly. When his pace goes he's going to fall hard I think. My biggest concern with him is he is lacksadaisical at time and mentally switches off a bit still. He misjudges the flight of the ball a fair bit, miscontrols a fair bit and misses passes he should never miss. I still think he may have eye sight problems. The amount it happens is unreal. Probably just mentally switching off but it's an issue. He's lucky now that his pace and physical attributes can bail him out more often than not, I worry when that starts to go.

That said saying he's just an athlete is doing him a disservice. He's a good footballer and a great athlete.
TAA, Wan Bissaka? Lots of good RB's around at the moment

padr81

Supports
Man City
TAA, Wan Bissaka? Lots of good RB's around at the moment
Both are kids imho... I wouldn't put either of them near Walker or Azpi's level yet tbh. Lots of potential in both of them but just potential.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Both are kids imho... I wouldn't put either of them near Walker or Azpi's level yet tbh. Lots of potential in both of them but just potential.
Potential or not both have arguably had better seasons this year than Walker has

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Potential or not both have arguably had better seasons this year than Walker has
I've not watched enough of Palace to have an opinion, but TAA has, at the very least, been on terms with Walker this season.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
TAA undeniably has. Wan-Bissaka probably has too but you have to take into account he's a breakthrough player in a smaller side so the standards with which he's judged are not the same as Walker's. I still wouldn't say either of them are better RBs than Walker though, far too early to call that.

The Nani

I've never been particularly impressed by him. Think it speaks to just how poor fullbacks in general are that he's considered one of the best. The Premier League in particular is really devoid of any proper quality fullbacks at the moment.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Tbf he might be a kid but he has played in a CL final and has been an important part of Liverpool’s record breaking team this season, I don’t particularly think Trent is amazing but the level between him and Walker is not as big as you think, on his day I’d have Trent purely for his insane crossing and attacking abilities...
Mbappe is a kid too....and?
I agree with @charlenefan that Alexander-Arnold and Wan-Bissaka are currently the two best RB in the PL.

Walker is still a very good RB.
Its not that long ago TAA was benched by Joe Gomezthis season (like Danilo with Walker in fairness). No doubt TAA and Wan-Bissaka will be the ones to knock Walker out of the England squad in the future but there is a reason they are both behind him in Southgates selection policy. Walker has also played a much more restrained role for City than TAA in terms of attacking this season so its hard to compare. If you asked me right now would I swap Walker for TAA or Wan Bissaka I'd probably say yes, but imho we'd be giving up the currently superior fullback for long term potential.

Mbappe is a once in a generation talent, the two named fullbacks are nowhere near his standing in their position.

RB for me is the leagues weakest position (LB is funny enough that far behind), with Walker been the best of an average lot.

IrishRedDevil

The rumours were 2 years, but he signed a new 5 year contract. They went big with that one considering he is 29.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
The rumours were 2 years, but he signed a new 5 year contract. They went big with that one considering he is 29.
It's a 2 year extension to his original contract (on fresh terms I assume), which still had 3 years to run. So yea, 5 years in total left.

Agree with your last sentence though, not sure that this was really a priority given his age.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
It’s accounting really isn’t it. He holds £30m value on the books and would have cost £10m per annum in amortisation on his remaining 3 years. Now it’s spread over 5 he costs £6m per annum. That allows City to spend an extra £20m this summer if someone was to join on a 5 year deal for example and kicks any problem 3 years down the road (which you offset with increased revenue). Announce a couple and it all adds up.

Edit: Above doesn’t include any wages impact though.

Status
Not open for further replies.