Kyle Walker signs for City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Not only does he randomly just let the ball go past him, but he then chases it down, only to arc his run in the complete wrong direction when he's almost there. What a complete dipshit.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It does say a lot about his excellent form this season, that this is the first time in the thread that we're criticizing a performance of his.

Spurs would have a few more points if he stayed with them.

diplomat

It does say a lot about his excellent form this season, that this is the first time in the thread that we're criticizing a performance of his.

Agree. He is performing on par with Valencia this season, although our captain has scored a few absolute screamers so far, whilst Walker has 5 assists (I think).

adexkola

Supports
Agree. He is performing on par with Valencia this season, although our captain has scored a few absolute screamers so far, whilst Walker has 5 assists (I think).
I think Valencia is the better defensive fullback. Walker and B. Silva recently have linked up very well on the attacking end.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Not only does he randomly just let the ball go past him, but he then chases it down, only to arc his run in the complete wrong direction when he's almost there. What a complete dipshit.
I think he was trying to delay a free kick taken by wigan by letting the ball run for a while but then realized the ref played advantage :lol:

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I think he was trying to delay a free kick taken by wigan by letting the ball run for a while but then realized the ref played advantage :lol:
Alright, but why does he decide to run away from the ball when he was nearly there?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

Maybe, but he's playing in a team where he doesn't need to worry about defence so much, he relies massively on pace to Bale him out defensively, but he was mugged off today by a more intelligent striker.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Alright, but why does he decide to run away from the ball when he was nearly there?
Well, not my subject area to decide what's going on his mind fo sho, but it looked like he was going to play the ball, realized that a foul was committed by the city player, then took his leg off to allow the ball to run away (presumably to give City some time to regroup) but then realized referee hasn't blown the whistle for a foul and Will on fire Griggs running behind and decided to chase the ball

EDIT : Well I'm not sure what he was thinking at the end instead of challenging Griggs.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Convinced he curved his run to avoid taking the player out with an eye on the final at weekend. Should have just gone through him. Hindsight. Can’t fault the player he’s having a fantastic season.

Red Stone

Well, not my subject area to decide what's going on his mind fo sho, but it looked like he was going to play the ball, realized that a foul was committed by the city player, then took his leg off to allow the ball to run away (presumably to give City some time to regroup) but then realized referee hasn't blown the whistle for a foul and Will on fire Griggs running behind and decided to chase the ball
Yeah, but when Grigg first touches the ball Walker decides to peel off for a moment instead of trying to get to the ball, giving Grigg all the time in the world to finish it off.

crossy1686

career ending

Really? I think City's style of play can make any defender look good. He's spent most of his time attacking and passing the ball to better players than himself who rarely lose the ball and require him to do any defending. Him and Stones would be all over the shop of they didn't have that midfield in front of them, but we'll see this at the World Cup anyway.

Brightonian

He's been playing brilliantly for most of the season just like the rest of them, there's no denying it.

But I still won't be convinced he's actually a brilliant player. He looks the same player he was for Spurs, to me - strong, rapid, potent in attack but just not clever enough to be a really good fullback. The initial mistake is one of those that even a great player can make, and they all do at some point or other.

But what on earth possessed him to pursue at that weird trajectory? Did he think Grigg was going to make a heroic dash for the corner flag? If you've got Walker's pace, you basically bomb straight for the goal, whichever side of the player that ends up taking you, and by the time he's within shooting distance you should at the very least be in a position to make a tackle, if not to block his sight of goal.

And maybe his excellent recovery pace has prevented him learning the dark arts of the position, too. A canny fullback will run across Grigg's back as he chases in that situation - gives you the chance to either end up goal side of him if you do catch up, or at the very least clip his heels during the chase and bring him down, possibly 'accidentally' enough to escape a sending off.

crossy1686

career ending
Convinced he curved his run to avoid taking the player out with an eye on the final at weekend. Should have just gone through him. Hindsight. Can’t fault the player he’s having a fantastic season.
That's actually an astute observation. Grigg still had a lot to do to be fair, you wouldn't have thought he'd finish that well in that situation. Think Bravo's attempted save is the worst thing about the goal.

adexkola

Supports
Really? I think City's style of play can make any defender look good. He's spent most of his time attacking and passing the ball to better players than himself who rarely lose the ball and require him to do any defending. Him and Stones would be all over the shop of they didn't have that midfield in front of them, but we'll see this at the World Cup anyway.
False.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
He was anticipating Grigg going for the line rather than for goal, Walker wasn't expecting a league one striker to be so ruthless.
Strikes me as complacency more than anything

breakout67

Supports
Man City
With the exception of Kompany who's legs have gone, they're defenders have only just started looking good this season. Before now they're been a mistake riddled back line.
They are still mistake riddled; it's just their forwards have pushed teams back so much that the defence isn't tested as much.

That includes both goalkeepers who are error prone as goal keepers, but are good with the ball at their feet.

Paypaldiola will make or break a defender; you get virtually no support when defending.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Hmm, not convinced to be honest that Walker was thinking of the cup final in the heat of the moment, seems to me he just incorrectly anticipated what Grigg was gonna do. Shame, as I think that's probably the first goal he's cost us all season, and it had to come in a game we weren't already leading.

Solver

He's all power and muscle but hardly any brain. Skilful players normally have him for brekkie

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
It looked like when you play FIFA on the easiest mode and the defender moves away from you instead of closing you down. No idea what he was doing.

Still, defenders are gonna brainfart now and again. It was a poor one, but he's still among the best in the league.

Jagga7

Proper funny one. He catches up with the attacker and starts moving in the opposite direction.

redchamp

Made a mistake, think he was expecting the flag to go up for the player behind him, but have to say overall he's been fantastic this season for them.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Not defending Walker here but I think he thinks a foul will be given. Then his run seems to be down the channel or "his zone". Secondly Grigg sells him up the river as he shows Walker he is going to run across him but takes a touch back towards goal.

Great work from the striker imho

rotherham_red

Everton in the first game of the season as well tbf

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Everton in the first game of the season as well tbf
That was a joke of a red card, so not sure why it applies.

He made mistakes this season to be fair, but there is a world of difference in this current system in terms of Zabaleta, Sagna vs. Walker.

Classical Mechanic

All players make mistakes throughout the course of the season. I love having a dig at City but the obsession with hanging defenders out to dry if they make a few mistakes in a season is ridiculous.

People claim there are no great defenders left. I tend to think it is more that we micro-analyse player performances these days and have an unrealistic expectation on how many mistakes a defender will make over the course of a season.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Not defending Walker here but I think he thinks a foul will be given. Then his run seems to be down the channel or "his zone". Secondly Grigg sells him up the river as he shows Walker he is going to run across him but takes a touch back towards goal.

Great work from the striker imho
I had "play until the whistle" drummed into me as a 7 year old, so I'm not accepting a Premier League footballer, England international, and current first choice for the champions elect should be let off for letting that run through because he thought there was a foul.

Even if Grigg was going to run across him, he still should have been looking to get himself goal-side, which he was more than capable of doing from the position he was in before he randomly arced his run in the wrong direction.

It was shite and laughable defending, and that's all there is to it.

crossy1686

career ending
I had "play until the whistle" drummed into me as a 7 year old, so I'm not accepting a Premier League footballer, England international, and current first choice for the champions elect should be let off for letting that run through because he thought there was a foul.

Even if Grigg was going to run across him, he still should have been looking to get himself goal-side, which he was more than capable of doing from the position he was in before he randomly arced his run in the wrong direction.

It was shite and laughable defending, and that's all there is to it.
Someone mentioned early on that Walker is one yellow away from a suspension and would therefore miss the Carling Cup final next week if he picked one up. Hence the reason he made no attempt to get near Grigg. Droppable offence?

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Someone mentioned early on that Walker is one yellow away from a suspension and would therefore miss the Carling Cup final next week if he picked one up. Hence the reason he made no attempt to get near Grigg. Droppable offence?
We've had players miss Champions League finals by getting themselves suspended in the semis to make sure we got through them so yeah, that's a shite excuse too.

If Pep was that bothered about him missing the LC final he probably could have afforded to rest him against fecking League One Wigan.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
He wasn't, and others were mentioning red card IIRC.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We've had players miss Champions League finals by getting themselves suspended in the semis to make sure we got through them so yeah, that's a shite excuse too.

If Pep was that bothered about him missing the LC final he probably could have afforded to rest him against fecking League One Wigan.
He wasn't playing until the red card, subbed him on at HT

Status
Not open for further replies.