Kyle Walker signs for City

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
City have bought average to shit defenders for some crazy amounts of money (Otamendi, Mangala, Stones, Walker).
Walker is far from being "average to shit". He's one of the best RBs in the Prem.

BlueSingh

Supports
Manchester City
Best rb in the league for last 2 years. And don't tell me Trippier is better, he has a good delivery on him, but he doesn't has the pace and energy to keep up. He gets exposed far too often for that, and I reckon Spurs will bring another in as a first choice.
Yes 45m is too much for a rb, but we paid English premium, and in a market where complete duds like Dier are quoted at 40 and Deeney at 30 I think it's a decent deal

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Best rb in the league for last 2 years. And don't tell me Trippier is better, he has a good delivery on him, but he doesn't has the pace and energy to keep up. He gets exposed far too often for that, and I reckon Spurs will bring another in as a first choice.
Yes 45m is too much for a rb, but we paid English premium, and in a market where complete duds like Dier are quoted at 40 and Deeney at 30 I think it's a decent deal
Trippier isn't better, but he's good enough for what we need and has different attributes - some better and some worse - to Walker.

Whilst I wouldn't rule out Spurs buying another RB, I think it's more likely we'll stick with Trippier and promote 20 year-old Kyle Walker-Peters to be his deputy. The latter did well in the recent FIFA Under 20s World Cup, even tho' he was being played out of position at LB (he played in five matches plus the final).

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Dier a dud?? Oh and if you wanna see just how good Walker is defensively watch our last game at West Ham.

Trippier isn't better, but he's good enough for what we need and has different attributes - some better and some worse - to Walker.

Whilst I wouldn't rule out Spurs buying another RB, I think it's more likely we'll stick with Trippier and promote 20 year-old Kyle Walker-Peters to be his deputy. The latter did well in the recent FIFA Under 20s World Cup, even tho' he was being played out of position at LB (he played in five matches plus the final).
I'm pretty sure the stories about Pereira are true and with his but out clause etc he is definitally attainable, he can also cover LB. Walker-Peters has had no first team experience and it would be very unlike Poch to throw him right into first team football. Look at Winks, he was ushered in littleness by little and it worked well for him.

You're going to replace Kyle Walker with someone called Kyle Walker-Peters? Amazing
Yup Levy's cloning program has finially come to fruition.

Last edited:

gormless

You're going to replace Kyle Walker with someone called Kyle Walker-Peters? Amazing

BlueSingh

Supports
Manchester City
Dier a dud?? Oh and if you wanna see just how good Walker is defensively watch our last game at West Ham.
Dier's an average player at best.

And do you mean at very end of the season where his heart was set elsewhere? ok

BlueSingh

Supports
Manchester City
He's average at best. The PL has had a tough time find a true quality RB (meaning attacking and defending )for years now. One of the best means feck all if he is still average overall.
There's a total shortage of WC players in that department on international scene, not just England. How many apart from Carvajal and Alves (who is 34) can be termed as world class right backs? not many. Bayern have a Kimmich who is decent at rb but not yet WC, and you could argue his favored position is in the midfield. PSG has Meunier, Chelsea have Moses, Barca have now got Semedo who is still just potential. And I would rather have Walker than all those mentioned, as he's already seasoned and fulfills HG quota

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
There's a total shortage of WC players in that department on international scene, not just England. How many apart from Carvajal and Alves (who is 34) can be termed as world class right backs? not many. Bayern have a Kimmich who is decent at rb but not yet WC, and you could argue his favored position is in the midfield. PSG has Meunier, Chelsea have Moses, Barca have now got Semedo who is still just potential. And I would rather have Walker than all those mentioned, as he's already seasoned and fulfills HG quota
I agree with what you said, just wanna give my opinion on him. I've never rated him that highly before. Obviously there are reasons to be happy about his signing for City fans and other reasons for others to not be too impressed about it.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Walker average to shit, Dier a dud... wow...

Walker was the fullback in the premier league till City turned his head last year, though that's not a very high bar. Is he WC? no, no he isn't, but their is what 3-4 world class rightbacks knocking around now total probably as said above only two in Carvajal and Alves. Walker is probably in the or around the top 10 right backs in world football based on the last 2 seasons, again not meaning Walker is WC or even close, just that there isn't any depth in the fullback positions. I mean his competition for best RB in the premier league is a hard working winger at United and his deputy at Spurs. Maybe Bellerin too, but he had a terrible season last time out. Seamus Coleman if he recovers from his injury but all in all Walker is a 7/10 fullback in a league packed with 5/10 and belows.

Dier is a good footballer, people seem to underestimate his DM skills because he's not all blood and thunder and is composed on the ball and underrate his ability on the ball because he's a DM. Far from Busquets? yes, but he's young and again is playing in a league where his competition is again pretty average.

You'd wonder how Spurs did so well with all these average to shit players...

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
He's average at best. The PL has had a tough time find a true quality RB (meaning attacking and defending )for years now. One of the best means feck all if he is still average overall.
We'll just have to disagree. In my book, one of the best, in the world's most competitive top-flight league, does not translate to "average"

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
I guess that, based on my limited viewing, Aurier would be THE world class right back everyone's looking for, if he wasn't so obviously a complete moron

kouroux

We'll just have to disagree. In my book, one of the best, in the world's most competitive top-flight league, does not translate to "average"
That's a strange way of looking at things specially RB in England have been incredibly average in the last few years but if it's how you see things...

kouroux

Walker average to shit, Dier a dud... wow...

Walker was the fullback in the premier league till City turned his head last year, though that's not a very high bar. Is he WC? no, no he isn't, but their is what 3-4 world class rightbacks knocking around now total probably as said above only two in Carvajal and Alves. Walker is probably in the or around the top 10 right backs in world football based on the last 2 seasons, again not meaning Walker is WC or even close, just that there isn't any depth in the fullback positions. I mean his competition for best RB in the premier league is a hard working winger at United and his deputy at Spurs. Maybe Bellerin too, but he had a terrible season last time out. Seamus Coleman if he recovers from his injury but all in all Walker is a 7/10 fullback in a league packed with 5/10 and belows.

Dier is a good footballer, people seem to underestimate his DM skills because he's not all blood and thunder and is composed on the ball and underrate his ability on the ball because he's a DM. Far from Busquets? yes, but he's young and again is playing in a league where his competition is again pretty average.

You'd wonder how Spurs did so well with all these average to shit players...
It's easy, they had some of the best performing players playing for them (Kane, Eriksen, Alli and Dier too who I thought was good for Spurs) and one of the best managers in England.

acnumber9

No im using a liverpool fans information to get across the point that football inflation is different to general inflation and also the use of basic maths to help compare like with like.

The result of which is that you cannot compare figures from now and 15 years ago, let alone now and 2 years ago, because of the increase in incoming money.

The table is a way of showing what past transfer values could be approximated to now, (or 2015 in this table).

If you can't understand the concept of football inflation, (+with all the graphs, media coverage of TV and commercial deals ever increasing values of the past 20 years) even with an easy to understand table, then I'm at a bit of a loss.

The table shows clearly, the worst buy ever - not only because of it being top, but also his age, and what schevchenko actually did on the pitch for Chelsea.

That time period seems to show many overpaid, old, Chelsea transfers - the investment without needing to show a profit time by abramovich.

My original post on this thread was in reply to a poster who couldn't conceive of spending £45m on a defender in 2017.
I highlighted Rio as a far higher figure (inflation adjusted).
The reply came back that Rio was the best defender England had, so (approx) STFU.
Whatever the merits of Rio, or Kyle (as he's regularly in England Squad , I presume he's also one of the best defenders in England), the relative difference between kyle's transfer and Rio's adjusted transfer (even at 2015 level) is still £30m odd higher...about 40%.. which makes a mockery of the 'shock' of the poster I was replying to.
Arbitrarily chosen information. It's useless.

AlwaysRed66

It will be interesting how Walker performs for city. At Spurs he has shown he is one of the best right backs in the league, yet his deputy Trippier was equally impressive in the latter months of last season. I wonder if he was helped by how Spurs play & the players around him, as it is only in the last couple of seasons he has really shined. We will soon find out.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
It will be interesting how Walker performs for city. At Spurs he has shown he is one of the best right backs in the league, yet his deputy Trippier was equally impressive in the latter months of last season. I wonder if he was helped by how Spurs play & the players around him, as it is only in the last couple of seasons he has really shined. We will soon find out.
This is my thoughts exactly he's a good player but to go from wanting Alves to Walker is a notable downgrade. I've said it so many times he's looked good last season as a WB with a strong back 3 and DM behind him.

In 38 appearances for us last season Walker had 5 assists from over 30 appearances while Trippier had 5 from 12. If we look at our left wing back Davies had 3 from 23. The thing is pace and power grab headlines and get people off their seats. Again Walker is a good player but there is no doubt in my mind he has been hyped up more for his style of play than his actual product.

Last edited:

IrishRedDevil

This deal looks better all the time
No it doesn't.

It was always a very good signing and he's simply doing for City what he done for Spurs for years. He isn't dong anything new or inspiring, he was always a very good fullback and it was a very obvious signing to make.

If you are talking about money, oil money has no end, so any deal is good as long as they get the player.

This deal looks better all the time
What? You're a special lad.

It was a shit load of money for a full back, but you knew 100% what you were getting with Walker. Poch did a cracking job ironing out some issues the past couple of seasons, he still has a feck up or two in him and he's no Marcelo or Evra, but he's a great athlete.

Varun

Staff
Yeah, the brilliance of this deal will only be surpassed when Pep signs Sanchez in a few months.

Jam

Dont you mean with a completely blank cheque. The amount of fan boys this guy has is unreal, I'm pretty sure some fans follow him from club to club.
Do you follow that Rafael Hernandez on twitter? I initially followed him since he was a Barcelona insider and had some interesting views but as the years have passed he has revealed his true nature. He literally only 'supports' Pep and Messi, he despises everything at Barcelona apart from Messi and similarly how Bayern and their fans treated his messiah Pep. At this point he basically supports City and would be over joyed if Messi left Barcelona to be with Pep despite claiming to be a Barcelona fan. It has gotten so grating reading his tweets, he claims that City's win this weekend was 'the best 90 minutes of football I have seen in a long long time'.

Pep's **** of personality is absurd.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Based on what? We already knew Walker is capable of performances like these.
A significant reason why KDB has been able to enjoy more freedom this season as opposed to last is because of Walker. City have width and can dissect the opposition apart centrally

It is perhaps not as shocking as how United landed Lukaku but it'll never make sense how Spurs sold Walker to a direct rival

Thunderhead

Supports
City
It has gotten so grating reading his tweets, he claims that City's win this weekend was 'the best 90 minutes of football I have seen in a long long time'.
Here's a radical solution to your problem, unfollow him and don't read his tweets

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Do you follow that Rafael Hernandez on twitter? I initially followed him since he was a Barcelona insider and had some interesting views but as the years have passed he has revealed his true nature. He literally only 'supports' Pep and Messi, he despises everything at Barcelona apart from Messi and similarly how Bayern and their fans treated his messiah Pep. At this point he basically supports City and would be over joyed if Messi left Barcelona to be with Pep despite claiming to be a Barcelona fan. It has gotten so grating reading his tweets, he claims that City's win this weekend was 'the best 90 minutes of football I have seen in a long long time'.

It is absurd but the reality is that the guy knows more than anyone how to play entertaining football that transcends who you support. I absolutely hate City but I am so jealous of how well they can play and the players they have. Can’t help thinking it should have been us that made sure we recruited him.

PoTMS

Say what you want but I wish we’d have bought a fecking attacking full back. You just have to look at the City side to see how they can instantly change things. Valencia is great but he’s not gonna last forever and the less said about our left hand side, the better.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Yeah, Pep did well in unearthing this unknown gem and buy him for a pittance.
No one claimed he was an unknown or bought for a pittance yet if you believed the criticisms in the Caf when he was signed, it was a laughable signing that would add nothing

Of course, some of us didn't see it that way and months later it's a deal that looks better all the time

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
No one claimed he was an unknown or bought for a pittance yet if you believed the criticisms in the Caf when he was signed, it was a laughable signing that would add nothing
I think most people with even a passing interest in football would've thought signing what was generally considered the best right back in the league would be a decent deal for a team that had no right backs.

The only strange thing about this deal was always that Spurs were willing to strengthen a direct title rival at a point where they are as close to being able to win a league as a they've been in decades. Horrible from Spurs.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

lol he's probably 12yo, they played well for sure yesterday, but Stoke gave up after their forth and simply done nothing, they didn't even park the bus.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I thought we overpaid for him tbh.. still think it was alot for a fullback but he has added so much to the team. His ability to get back and cover thanks to his pace is a huge part of our improved goal against column. He's pretty much in the perfect system for him and the perfect FB for our system. Looking like he'll be worth the large outlay.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
I lolled

Also some of the parts on this thread are starting to look a bit silly too

Last edited:

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Should've picked it up and thrown it at his face.

Status
Not open for further replies.