Kyle Walker signs for City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_Scholes18

Think Walker is a good player. Insane amount of money though. Same with us and for Lindelöf. I guess we are getting used to these sums though. Everyone seem to know that you can get huge sums from the PL clubs.

crackers0seven

Mad money. But city have mad money so why not.. Think he will be great signing for Peps team. They will have serious attacking threats coming from all over pitch this season. Worrying to see imo. Hope they don't get Mendy now :(

Last edited:

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Mad money. But city have mad money so why not.. Think he will be great signing for Peps team. They will have serious attacking threats coming from all over pitch this season. Worrying to see imo. Hope they don't get Mandy now :(
We've turned into a very quick side too. Could be a couple of 4-3 end to end games next season.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Barca just bought Nelson Semedo for 30M euros..

I reckon Walker is more accomplished but the former has twice the talent.

45M £ :lol:
Comparisons like that always lack context. Hold fire until your summers finished though, you're being heavily linked with a very average winger for big money.

Jaybomb

Why would Walker move to City when Spurs have finished above them two seasons in a row?

No loyalty in the game anymore.

Solver

I don't think anyone should be worried about this signing- Kyle is speedy but a limited footballer

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Because City win/can win titles.
Also he has probably atleast doubled or perhaps even tripled his wages since Spurs pay very modest wages.

Price very steep, but City doesn't operate as a business with having to balance their books like us, they live in fantasy land when it comes to finances.

One of the things I dislike most about todays game.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Also he has probably atleast doubled or perhaps even tripled his wages since Spurs pay very modest wages.

Price very steep, but City doesn't operate as a business with having to balance their books like us, they live in fantasy land when it comes to finances.

One of the things I dislike most about todays game.
We are in a fantasy land too when it comes to finances.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
We are in a fantasy land too when it comes to finances.
Not the same at all, we have to make the money and operate as a business with balancing the books when it comes to transfers.

Invested cash flow from operations dependant on commerical success is something else entirely than a sugardaddy giving you unlimited funds.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Insane. Meanwhile, we've won the league twice in three seasons with Courtois (£8m) Azpilicueta (£7m) Cahill (£7m) Moses (£10m) as key members of our defense. Our most expensive defenders have been Luiz at ~£34m and Alonso at ~£24m.

Man City have spent a colossal amount of money on an extremely mediocre defense.
Azpi was a steal. I thought Marseille got him cheap. Tbf Courtois was bought 6 years ago which was before the massive inflation in prices and Cahill had 6 months left on his contract. Good business nonetheless.

ti vu

People are forgetting the shambolic full backs we've been enduring the last couple of years. Sagna, Kolarov, Clichy and even Zabaleta are all well past their primes. Signing top quality full backs will improve our team drastically. Absolutely worth every penny.
First part sounds all well, then the top quality part sounds just wrong.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
The point you seem to keep missing here is that I haven't criticised Guardiola at any point in this conversation. Not even slightly. I doubt Guardiola's very happy with the outcome and I imagine he plays a very limited role in player recruitment at City, as he has done at all of his clubs. Just to clarify, that isn't intended as a criticism. He's been at clubs that have bought some great players and some terrible players. I don't think he's responsible for either. He's a great coach.

The reason you are questioned is because of conversations exactly like this. Despite not criticising Guardiola in any way, even subtly, you've convinced yourself that I have and implied that I'm of his "haters". That's laughable.
Oddly enough I find it's the very point you are missing, I haven't accused you of being a hater much less fan of Guardiola. If there's been any implication of that, I would contend it's imagined. I had simply given some context to respond to your claim that I am somehow incapable of criticism of Pep, but I digress

JASR

Official Redcafe Union Rep for City Posters Rights
Supports
City
Last edited:

prtk0811

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

JASR

Official Redcafe Union Rep for City Posters Rights
Supports
City
Not the same at all, we have to make the money and operate as a business with balancing the books when it comes to transfers.

Invested cash flow from operations dependant on commerical success is something else entirely than a sugardaddy giving you unlimited funds.
Too much pickled herring...still?
:-)

Had sugar daddies - same (but one less)

'Unlimited funds' - neither.

'Invested cash flow from operations dependant on commerical success' - same.

'have to make the money and operate as a business with balancing the books' - same

Have debt - same (note: sugar daddy investment, stopped a few years ago, when income exceeded outgoings - debt is in filed accounts)

Have massive debt with ongoing repayments - no

Have owners who live in business world of making money - same

Buy players for more money than makes rational, humanistic sense ( but is what the business market is) - same

Bored of tired cliches from rival fans - same

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
100 m on two full backs , Take some time to digest that.
Would it really be that different to us spending 80 plus on Matic and Perisic.

Energy and drive in the fullback positions is at least exactly what City need. It'll help them get overrun less than they've done in recent years.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict

'have to make the money and operate as a business with balancing the books' - same

Have debt - same (note: sugar daddy investment, stopped a few years ago, when income exceeded outgoings - debt is in filed accounts)

Buy players for more money than makes rational, humanistic sense ( but is what the business market is) - same

This is nonsense. City are utterly dependent on the life support from their sugar daddy. Without him they'd be nothing.

United are self-sufficient and have even managed to compete despite having at times parasitic owners.

The situations are almost diametrically opposed. Though the Glazers have at least allowed United to start spending the club's funds on transfers more regularly.

Classical Mechanic

We have to operate in real market conditions. We don't have the benefit of bogus sponsorship deals from our owner to cook the books to the level that they pass FFP.

prtk0811

Would it really be that different to us spending 80 plus on Matic and Perisic.

Energy and drive in the fullback positions is at least exactly what City need. It'll help them get overrun less than they've done in recent years.
Well i dont think we would want perisic that badly, and even matic. Even the likes of milner and valencia do not get overrun at the back. The offensive effectiveness of walker is very limited too compared to someone like mendy at lb or carvahal at rb.

But walker would suit guardiola's tactics well.

Last edited:

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Oddly enough I find it's the very point you are missing, I haven't accused you of being a hater much less fan of Guardiola. If there's been any implication of that, I would contend it's imagined. I had simply given some context to respond to your claim that I am somehow incapable of criticism of Pep, but I digress
This is what you said:
Although I am curious how you think Pep has any fault in the fee for Walker. I suppose even in the insurance world there's no such thing as being faultless in an accident but Alves bailing on City for more money at PSG would be a strange thing to fault Guardiola with if we're going to talk strange
I at no point suggested that Guardiola has any fault. I don't think he is at fault. That's the point. That was just something you convinced yourself of because I stepped into that sphere of being anything other than positive about the team Guardiola manages, which inevitably puts you in all-out defence mode of Pep. You can spin things all you want but this is exactly the reason why people say the things they do about you and your beloved Pep.

TheBiggest

There are very few signings that you feel will instantly improve a team.

Walker massively improves City.

Big money, but great player and just what they wee lacking last year.

Walker will never be rated as highly as he should.

Great signing.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Well i dont think we would want perisic that badly, and even matic. Even the likes of milner and valencia do not get overrun at the back. The offensive effectiveness of walker is very limited too compared to someone like mendy at lb or carvahal at rb.

But walker would suit guardiola's tactics well.
We do seem to want Perisic and Matic that badly going by reports.

The point is not about Valencia or Milner getting overrun but City's midfield and defence getting consistently overrun. In that respect the likes of Mendy and Walker appear to be exactly what they need.

Walker isn't a world beater technically. But in terms of drive, physicality, energy and pace, he may be exactly what City need.

buckooo1978

Why would Walker move to City when Spurs have finished above them two seasons in a row?

No loyalty in the game anymore.

he was dropped and had a falling out with Pochettino

45 million for a backup right back is great business for a player behind the pecking order of Trippier

Jaybomb

he was dropped and had a falling out with Pochettino

45 million for a backup right back is great business for a player behind the pecking order of Trippier
Dropped cause he asked to leave most likely.

Trippier is not better.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
There are very few signings that you feel will instantly improve a team.

Walker massively improves City.

Big money, but great player and just what they wee lacking last year.

Walker will never be rated as highly as he should.

Great signing.
You're talking about the most expensive fullback in the history of football. How much more highly rated should he be?

Last edited:

prtk0811

We do seem to want Perisic and Matic that badly going by reports.

The point is not about Valencia or Milner getting overrun but City's midfield and defence getting consistently overrun. In that respect the likes of Mendy and Walker appear to be exactly what they need.

Walker isn't a world beater technically. But in terms of drive, physicality, energy and pace, he may be exactly what City need.
Not for that price, I dont think so. If inter refuses to budge we'll just move on.

Besides city defense get consistantly overrun because of their tactics of playing a very high line and defenders playing on the center of the pitch trying to press high every time and control the posession and counter attacks, Which is a very risky tactics in england because of the direct counter attacking football and long balls which teams play in the epl and not very much in other leagues. Pep dint come to grips with that and is stubborn to not adapt so they are always asking to be overrun because of their positioning. Just an example of how Dembele outrun walker in the france england game.

As i also mentioned he would guardiola's tactics very well in posession , but out of posession he's still not intelligent enough to apply those tactics on a very very high level.
Besides he's 27. Certainly not young enough.

Last edited:

El cangrejo

Supports
FC Luzern
Most would say Walker was the best RB in the prem last season before his fall out with Poch. Valencia there abouts. Bellerin had an absolute nightmare season as even most Arsenal fans will attest too. I think Bellerin has a higher ceiling than Walker but last year was a huge question mark against him.

£50m is crazy money for a right back but add in his Englishness and the fact Daniel Levy could get millions out of selling fresh air to a brick and its about where I thought it would be.
Bellerín going on to be better than Walker is a no brainer but he'll almost certainly end up at Barça sooner or later. Major question marks against Walker for me. He's been good under Poch for a couple of years but was a liability until his mid-twenties. His major attributes are power and pace which aren't generally things valued by Guardiola and I can't see him being able to adapt to the kind of play Pep has been expecting of his full backs since Bayern, having the ability to move infield and playing almost as a number 4. At the fee paid, he's almost certainly going to be slaughtered for not being a peak Dani Alves or Cafu even if he plays well. He'll need a lot of character to cope with that.

El cangrejo

Supports
FC Luzern
Barca just signed nelson semendo and are short of funds.
Bellerín is still only 22. Given their obsession with signing former Masía products and near unrivalled pulling power, I can't imagine him not ending up there some day.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Sort of an irrelevant comparison as they play different positions.

John Stones being more expensive than Bonucci is the real joke.
True that, but you still compare a defender with another one :D. Walker is still an upgrade on their current full backs though.

Status
Not open for further replies.