Kyle Walker signs for City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Is it same to assume that with City spending nigh on £200m this summer, their fans will be expecting a league title next season?
I think our squad will be the strongest it's ever been at the end of the summer, so I do genuinely believe anything except a title win for Pep would be deemed a poor season. Obviously if Chelsea go and romp to 100+ points that would be unprecedented, but there's 2 or 3 clubs in the same position in terms of having to win it for it to be a good season. United included, you'll spend a fortune as well.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
For a player who has played just 18 PL for Spurs over the last 2 seasons, the love-in for Tripper on here is very hard to understand.
Do you think there's a significant difference between the two? The response to him being signed by Spurs was pretty muted, but it wasn't controversial to suggest he was a better player than Walker...
Spurs seem to collect and stockpile a bunch of average players. Trippier is only a very slight upgrade on Walker IMO. Should they not be looking to sign better?
Better than Walker, but still average.
Good move for Trippier, would like to see him do well.

I don't really rate Walker so I think it's a good buy for Spurs too.

@GlastonSpur how do you see Spurs lining up next season?
In the Championship team of the year 2 years running and had a good season last season. Well worth the gamble.

Thought they'd give Yedlin a go this coming season though.
In fact you even had one City fan at the time saying they'd like to have signed him.
Was hoping City went in for him and sold Sagna. Cheap, reliable full back who is decent getting forward with the potential to develop into one of the league's better right-backs. Most important of all he'd be home grown and wouldn't command high wages.
Obviously he took a while to settle, but he started the last international at right back at the expense of Walker, and Spurs didn't see any real dip in form with him being replaced. They're different players and Walker's speed is useful in City's team but I don't see any significant difference in quality, personally.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I think our squad will be the strongest it's ever been at the end of the summer, so I do genuinely believe anything except a title win for Pep would be deemed a poor season. Obviously if Chelsea go and romp to 100+ points that would be unprecedented, but there's 2 or 3 clubs in the same position in terms of having to win it for it to be a good season. United included, you'll spend a fortune as well.
Believe me we're trying. Not working out as expected though.

I agree, Pep will need to deliver this season. In light of the money spent thus far anything less than a title will see him sacked

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Yep.

Walker - £50M
Stones - £47.5M
Ederson - £35M
Mangala - £32M
Otamendi - £32M
Bravo - £15.4M
Caballero - £6M
Total - £217.9M

Insane.
:lol:

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Levy's been there 10 years. You can look at Spurs (relative) success of the last couple of seasons as the culmination of a 10 year plan from Levy. Or the fact that he belatedly hired a top class manager at a time when the sky-rocketing TV money gave Spurs a bit more wriggle room, financially. I'm sure you're in the former camp. I'd be in the latter but there's no way to prove either of us "right". However, if you kick the season off with uncertainty over your squad because Levy is involved in his usual last-minute haggling then it's hard not to be at least a little bit critical of him.
They've been here 16 years now.

10 ,14, 11, 10, 12 were our positions for the 5 years before they took over.

9, 10, 14, 9 and 5 were the five seasons after. In the subsequent 11 seasons, we've finshed out of the top 5 twice (in 07-09).

I'm not saying that he's had some overarching Stalinesque ten year plan. But you surely cannot deny a very clear improvement in the club's on and off pitch fortunes at a time when yes, the TV deal has been increasing, but at no greater pace than the clubs above or below us? It is not like only we have stumbled across this TV money.

This is not to say that Levy doesn't have his faults or doesn't make mistakes because he does of course.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
I read that if they got Mendy aswell they would have spent over 250m on their defence and goalkeepers in the last 3 seasons.
Insane. Meanwhile, we've won the league twice in three seasons with Courtois (£8m) Azpilicueta (£7m) Cahill (£7m) Moses (£10m) as key members of our defense. Our most expensive defenders have been Luiz at ~£34m and Alonso at ~£24m.

Man City have spent a colossal amount of money on an extremely mediocre defense.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Do you think there's a significant difference between the two? The response to him being signed by Spurs was pretty muted, but it wasn't controversial to suggest he was a better player than Walker...

In fact you even had one City fan at the time saying they'd like to have signed him.Obviously he took a while to settle, but he started the last international at right back at the expense of Walker, and Spurs didn't see any real dip in form with him being replaced. They're different players and Walker's speed is useful in City's team but I don't see any significant difference in quality, personally.
Those are strange quotes to back up the idea I was disagreeing with where people are hailing him as a definitive upgrade. Muted praise, at best.

He may turn out to be amazing. My point is that it's far too early to be certain that Walker won't be missed.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Believe me we're trying. Not working out as expected though.

I agree, Pep will need to deliver this season. In light of the money spent thus far anything less than a title will see him sacked
Do you feel the same way about Mourinho?

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Where do you stand with your champions league chances? Your best ever squad, very expensively assembled and one of the top managers in the world.

Obviously it requires some luck, but what would be a success for you in the CL?

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Yeah there is a lot of talk about the price but really I'm amazed Levy didn't squeeze us for more.
Yeah, I think you've done well enough here. He's a finished Premier League product in his prime, who's as likely as anyone to hit the ground running, and will upgrade your first eleven from the get go. Compared to buying potential which is touch and go when it'll settle, that's worth millions today with as tight a PL as we've ever seen.

Careful mate, the resident spurs fans on this site are a touchy lot.
Hehe, yeah. I'm not sure Spurs are much worse off with Trippier, to be honest. But obviously strengthening a direct rival, when they're as close to winning the league as they've been for decades? That's bad business whichever way you look at it.

Brwned

Those are strange quotes to back up the idea I was disagreeing with where people are hailing him as a definitive upgrade. Muted praise, at best.

He may turn out to be amazing. My point is that it's far too early to be certain that Walker won't be missed.
I wasn't trying to disprove any point, I was just using your quote as a springboard to ask you a genuine question. Do you think there's a significant difference between the two? I don't see him as an upgrade personally - I'd agree that seems very premature, and unlikely to turn out to be true. I don't think it's a big loss though. There's never been much of a difference between them, in my view.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
I made this point numerous times but here we go again.
Can Pep not be discussed with dragging Jose into it?
Pep never seems to be judged on his own merits
I never compared the two, I just wondered how far his feelings extended - but they can't both win the league, and they'll both spend a fortune, so on this theory one of them has to go at the end of the season. I would always disagree with a hard and fast rule of "X has to win Y or he's sacked", because it lacks any context.

El cangrejo

Supports
FC Luzern
Still a bit baffled by this one. Technically he is well below the standard of a typical Guardiola player. Bellerín would have made much more sense.

edcunited1878

He's getting paid handsomely, he's still in a competitive team that's improving (only way Spurs can improve is by winning the league and City is in the same boat...2nd, 3rd, 4th...same shit) and he's working with Pep. That's a good move.

Red Star One

Good deal for both clubs I'd say. City will be happy to have a PL-proven, very decent right back, Spurs will be happy with the money + Trippier.

ChaddyP

Who cares how much they spent. They have a bottom less pit and signed two things they needed. A homegrown first team player and a proper fullback. They are much better now because of that.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

In fact you even had one City fan at the time saying they'd like to have signed him.Obviously he took a while to settle, but he started the last international at right back at the expense of Walker, and Spurs didn't see any real dip in form with him being replaced. They're different players and Walker's speed is useful in City's team but I don't see any significant difference in quality, personally.
It's one thing for Trippier to provide cover for a handful of games, quite another to be considered as your teams first choice right back at such a young age. There is no guarantee that Trippier will perform to a standard even remotely close to that of his predecessor. Forming an assessment of a player based on 500 minutes of first team football will simply never be accurate.

Relying on youth is to risky a proposition. Surely Poch will be in the market for a more tried and tested replacement

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I wasn't trying to disprove any point, I was just using your quote as a springboard to ask you a genuine question. Do you think there's a significant difference between the two? I don't see him as an upgrade personally - I'd agree that seems very premature, and unlikely to turn out to be true. I don't think it's a big loss though. There's never been much of a difference between them, in my view.
Oh right, ok. Well my answer to that would be similar. Trippier looks promising but Walker is proven quality. And proven quality will almost always be missed. A few years ago I never would have predicted he'd turn out so highly valued. Which just goes to show how unpredictably footballers can develop.

This time last year many people would have Bellerin down as the right back most likely to be a 45 million quid player. Now he's a "train wreck". Becoming first choice at a big club can hike up the pressure and expose flaws you don't see when a player has been relatively protected like Trippier has at Spurs so far.

Castia

I genuinely think Levy deserves his own statue outside of New White Hart Lane. 45 million for Walker when they have Trippier, who is nearly as good. Simply amazing business.

I don't get this logic at all. They've just sold arguably the best RB in the league to a direct rival....45m really isn't a huge fee in today's market.

Levy is s fecking genius he gets away with selling all their best players and never gets any shit for it, really fecking weird.

Brwned

It's one thing for Trippier to provide cover for a handful of games, quite another to be considered as your teams first choice right back based on such limited playing time. There is no guarantee that Trippier will perform to a standard even remotely close to that of his predecessor. Forming an assessment of a player based on 500 minutes of first team football will simply never be accurate.

Relying on youth is to risky a proposition. Surely Poch will be in the market for a more tried and tested replacement
Trippier established himself as one of the best right backs in the league, on par with Walker, 2 seasons ago. The idea he's only just come onto the scene in the last few months is a bit weird.
I agree Pep avoids some criticism, particularly in the media, because he's pretty widely respected, but I think it's wide of the mark to suggest Walker is the pick of a terrible bunch. He has plenty of attributes that make him a great full-back.

I think he's also just one signing in a wider transfer strategy that's aiming to build a strong squad from back to front within the home grown/foreign quotas allowed - its that aspect of this transfer that makes this signing invaluable for the bigger picture, particularly for City, who aren't exactly brimming with home grown players in the squad. Miss out on Walker and buy foreign instead and it could mean missing out on a more important target elsewhere.

Out of interest, what would be a fair price for Walker to you? £30m? £40m? How much have we overpaid by? I personally think £40m would be fair, so we've overpaid by around £10m in English and league rival "tax".
I can see the logic in significantly overpaying for him and I don't think he's a bad signing, really. I certainly wouldn't call him a great fullback though. He's miles behind someone like Carvajal and I'd be shocked if he went for £50m at the age of 27 myself. If you look around at the fullbacks at top clubs it becomes clear pretty quickly that you don't need to spent £30m+ to get someone as good as or better than Walker. That's what you're paying for an exceptional player, which I don't think anyone would claim he is. He's barely good enough to lock down a place for an average Top 20 international team without much depth in his position.

The fact that Davies and Trippier came in to replace Rose and Walker without much difficulty last year wasn't much of a surprise to anyone, because as good as the first choices are they clearly weren't miles ahead of their backups. Yet for some reason they're worth 5-10x the amount of their backups. Weird. Reminds me of this.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I don't get this logic at all. They've just sold arguably the best RB in the league to a direct rival....45m really isn't a huge fee in today's market.

Levy is s fecking genius he gets away with selling all their best players and never gets any shit for it, really fecking weird.
Yeah like taking us from finicial ruin to competing in the PL, I mean what has the guy done for us at all. Oh and it's not £45M, Walker is now the most exapensice English player, believe it or not.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I never compared the two, I just wondered how far his feelings extended - but they can't both win the league, and they'll both spend a fortune, so on this theory one of them has to go at the end of the season. I would always disagree with a hard and fast rule of "X has to win Y or he's sacked", because it lacks any context.
If Jose breaches the £200m barrier this summer then sure, the fans will be expecting a strong title challenge at the very least.

Also you have to remember that United and City's situations are entirely different. We are a club in a clear state of transition and have been for 3+ seasons, certain allowances can be made, City on the otherhand have been going strong for a decade.

Brwned

Out of interest, what would be a fair price for Walker to you? £30m? £40m? How much have we overpaid by? I personally think £40m would be fair, so we've overpaid by around £10m in English and league rival "tax".
So I had a look into this and I'd say transfermarkt's value seems about right - half the price. Compare that to Ben Davies or Kieran Tripper at c.10m, and I'd say it's pretty fair. I've no idea what calculations go into it but they're much more in line with what I'd instinctively think. There are very few defenders worth £30m+ and Walker isn't one of them. This valuation essentially suggests he's 5x as good as most fullbacks out there. That's silly.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
I don't blame your good ol' pal, "Pep", for much at all. I'm not even sure if I criticised him once last season, nor have I criticised him at all in this conversation. The fact that you think everyone's out to get Guardiola and you're unable to have a straightforward discussion that is anything other than positive about his team - not even the man himself - should tell you all you need to know. You barely even have your own opinion when it comes to him. Everything that presents even the slightest issue is always someone else's fault. It's very, very strange.

Simply put I see this as one of City's worst signings so far, and I find it difficult to see how you could argue otherwise. That doesn't mean he'll perform badly but given the other players on the market and the price they're paying, it's hardly a good deal. The player that's replacing him at Spurs cost roughly 15x less when he was evidently one of the best fullbacks in the league, younger, more technical and intelligent and, at this stage, the more likely starter at international level.
I'm not having a straightforward discussion with you? I don't have my own opinion when it comes to Guardiola? Whose would it be then? I'm not reading from a script

I have a perspective on Pep that comes from years of following him at my own club, a club where even an unhealthy contingent of supporters hate him as well. It's the reality of the world, there be haters - I'm not attempting to convert anyone, only provide a perspective that is often lacking. You're not the first poster to question whether I can find anything to be critical of Pep eventhough I've never even indirectly suggested he was without fault.

Although I am curious how you think Pep has any fault in the fee for Walker. I suppose even in the insurance world there's no such thing as being faultless in an accident but Alves bailing on City for more money at PSG would be a strange thing to fault Guardiola with if we're going to talk strange

Guardiola's trademark on developing footballers is to help all 11 on the pitch become better tactically & technically, to get them to play fast & naturally. He isn't known for forming stout defenders, more like great 2 way defenders that can either attack or bring the ball out of the back without fear against midfielders et al. City needed a RB, probably 2 due to their schedule and previous experiences with injuries last season - great teams need depth. Alves/Walker combo would've been ideal as Dani may not have been able to play 50-60 matches in a season at his age. Walker is a proven commodity in the Premiership for years and English, more importantly he has great pace & size at a position that was both woeful last season and vital to Pep's approach to football - attacking fullbacks.

I don't know Trippier and Pochettino probably is quite happy keeping him, dumping an unhappy player and seeing his club pocket a good chunk of change in the process - however, there's no question that he has also strengthened a rival.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Trippier established himself as one of the best right backs in the league, on par with Walker, 2 seasons ago. The idea he's only just come onto the scene in the last few months is a bit weird.
After 20 games, half of which came as a sub, you consider Trippier to be one of the best full backs in the league? That's an almighty stretch any way you slice it. Valencia alone is far superior.

Not doubting his talent mind.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
It's one thing for Trippier to provide cover for a handful of games, quite another to be considered as your teams first choice right back at such a young age. There is no guarantee that Trippier will perform to a standard even remotely close to that of his predecessor. Forming an assessment of a player based on 500 minutes of first team football will simply never be accurate.

Such a young age, youth. Do you know who Trippier is? He is almost 27.

Status
Not open for further replies.