Kylian Mbappe | Merci.

Baneofthegame

Anyone else just not really think about Mbappe whatsoever outside of when this transfer stuff came up?

When there’s a major tournament or perhaps the later stages of the CL, but genuinely forget about him while it’s the first four/five months of the season.

FerociousCorgis

Anyone else just not really think about Mbappe whatsoever outside of when this transfer stuff came up?

When there’s a major tournament or perhaps the later stages of the CL, but genuinely forget about him while it’s the first four/five months of the season.
pretty much. He has for the most part just wasted his club career away in France in my opinion. Yeah we see them for their UCL campaigns, but outside that PSG just roll thru france and really just not much interest in that league out there. Had he gone to a bigger league by now he could easily be seen on another level. Not sure he really cares though he has always seemed to be about the money

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I won’t rest until he’s safely joined Madrid. This Liverpool talk doesn’t bear thinking about and while there remains a 5% chance it’s too much anxiety for me! As long as he keeps fecking about with Real Madrid, the PL remains a possibility. And anywhere except United over here would be tragic.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I won’t rest until he’s safely joined Madrid. I said this like two years ago, but this Liverpool talk doesn’t bear thinking about and while there remains a 5% chance it’s too much anxiety for me!
Klopp fecking off makes this much less likely doesn't it.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I won’t rest until he’s safely joined Madrid. This Liverpool talk doesn’t bear thinking about and while there remains a 5% chance it’s too much anxiety for me! As long as he keeps fecking about with Real Madrid, the PL remains a possibility. And anywhere except United over here would be tragic.
It is only gonna be PSG or Real.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
New 2 year deal at PSG for ungodly money then PL at 28 when he's desperate for the kind of international recognition he pissed away for qatari money

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
They can't afford his wages, and he's not going to slash his wages to join anyone but Real. I'd say he stays. Nobody can pay him.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I don’t see why that would change anything.
Firstly, Klopp is the type of manager players want to play for. I'd go as far as saying they'd join a club they might not consider if Klopp was there.

Secondly, a lot of uncertainty around the club. Klopp gives a guarantee of at least being highly competitive. Not many other managers give that.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
You can’t say that with any certainty.
For this summer? Obviously not with 100% certainty but I would be absolutely shocked, if he is at any other team come August.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
I really hope he stays at PSG and never wins the CL. Am I being petty? Maybe but this transfer "saga" is up there with the most boring ones ever.
Guess he hasn’t made a documentary about it…yet.

Either way, this season it ends. He either comes or when he does not Real will finally move on despite Perez’ infatuation.

Personally I’d still prefer an actual #9.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
They can't afford his wages, and he's not going to slash his wages to join anyone but Real. I'd say he stays. Nobody can pay him.
That sums up well. I may be wrong but I just can't see him get a 50% wage cut and join Real Madrid. He is currently earning £11.6m a week not including his signing bonus. Also for whatever reason he doesn't seem as marketable as Messi and CR7 yet.

Ghostrider318

I think hell stay at PSG after another ginormous contract is thrown at him. Hes already won the WC so I think he and his entourage arnt too keen on the whole win everything and cement your legacy thing and instead want 'Next few generations set for life' money. Cant blame em

Gee Male

I think hell stay at PSG after another ginormous contract is thrown at him. Hes already won the WC so I think he and his entourage arnt too keen on the whole win everything and cement your legacy thing and instead want 'Next few generations set for life' money. Cant blame em
There are literally no examples of generational wealth ever following through.

Ghostrider318

There are literally no examples of generational wealth ever following through.
I mean his kids would probably not have to work ever again if he has any. While Im sure hes supporting a LOT of family , such high profile athletes would likely have an armada of lawyers , accountants and trusts setup to make sure they dont go broke and everyone is taken care of

Eddy_JukeZ

The disrespect people have for Ronaldo is unbelievable, people come out saying how Messi and Ronaldo isn't close, is just fooling themselves. I don't like Ronaldo, never did since he left us the first time, but he is one of the best ever and he proved it at multiple clubs in multiple leagues and internationally. Messi is great as well, I'm not going to argue about whos best etc, it's done to death and people are entitled to their opinions, but the two are brilliant. Messi I would agree is definitely the more naturally gifted and Ronaldo is more athletic along side god gifted talent.

Mbappe still has a million miles to go to reach Messi or Ronaldo and IMO he doesn't look good enough or consistent enough for it. I'm not even sure he'll be the best of his generation let alone be talked about up with the Ronaldo's and Messi's of the world
Saying Mbappe could surpass Ronaldo isn't disrespectful. Could. Not will.

You just have an inflated view of Ronaldo, since you think him and Messi are close.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Saying Mbappe could surpass Ronaldo isn't disrespectful. Could. Not will.

You just have an inflated view of Ronaldo, since you think him and Messi are close.
Inflated as that view may be, Ronaldo was an incredible attacker, one of the all-time best in his position, Messi being better doesn't change that.

Mbappe will surpass Ronaldo internationally, but not even close at club level, and never will be.

Eddy_JukeZ

Inflated as that view may be, Ronaldo was an incredible attacker, one of the all-time best in his position, Messi being better doesn't change that.

Mbappe will surpass Ronaldo internationally, but not even close at club level, and never will be.
That would still make it an argument considering Ronaldo's poor international performances compared to other greats and if Mbappe continues his CL excellence(or even ups it) with a few successful CL runs, I don't see why it's far-fetched it'd be an argument.

Also, I personally think Mbappe's already surpassed Ronaldo internationally and the gap will only grow(on current trajectory).

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
That would still make it an argument considering Ronaldo's poor international performances compared to other greats and if Mbappe continues his CL excellence(or even ups it) with a few successful CL runs, I don't see why it's far-fetched it'd be an argument.

Also, I personally think Mbappe's already surpassed Ronaldo internationally and the gap will only grow(on current trajectory).
Not really, considering Mbappe's relative nothing-career at club level thus far.

Ronaldo's international career is absolutely poor in the world cup, but quite alright in the Euros, so its overstated how bad it is.

Back to club football though, its not even a contest, Mbappe's "continuing CL excellence" amounts to getting dunked on in R16 a bunch of times, while Ronaldo had big performances leading to multiple finals.

Cloud7

That sums up well. I may be wrong but I just can't see him get a 50% wage cut and join Real Madrid. He is currently earning £11.6m a week not including his signing bonus. Also for whatever reason he doesn't seem as marketable as Messi and CR7 yet.
No offense intended to any PSG fans around, but there's no real glamor around Mbappe. To be clear I rate him as the best player in the world, but he's never going to be marketable when he's at PSG. Ronaldo at his peak was at United and then Real, Messi was at Barcelona. They were the respective faces of three of the biggest clubs in the world. Then there was the narrative of the Messi Ronaldo and Real Barca rivalry which would have been huge for marketability as well. It will be difficult for him to match that, but he's certainly not ever going to do it while he's at PSG.

Eddy_JukeZ

Not really, considering Mbappe's relative nothing-career at club level thus far.

Ronaldo's international career is absolutely poor in the world cup, but quite alright in the Euros, so its overstated how bad it is.

Back to club football though, its not even a contest, Mbappe's "continuing CL excellence" amounts to getting dunked on in R16 a bunch of times, while Ronaldo had big performances leading to multiple finals.
I mean it's not his fault his team throws away leads. He was the best player in the tie vs Real Madrid before Marquinhos forgot how to play football.

And Ronaldo arguably was a lesser performer in the CL than Mbappe was at a similar age. Ronaldo started performing much better in the CL from 2014 onwards.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
I mean it's not his fault his team throws away leads. He was the best player in the tie vs Real Madrid before Marquinhos forgot how to play football.

And Ronaldo arguably was a lesser performer in the CL than Mbappe was at a similar age. Ronaldo started performing much better in the CL from 2014 onwards.
No he wasn't, he had already won the UCL being a top performer, and a top performer in years he didn't win also.

As for Mbappe, disappearing act against a mediocre Bayern a year ago, point being, what he is for France is not what he is at club level.

Rest of club career goes without saying, one did it in EPL and La Liga, other is doing it in Ligue 1 for a state-run entity.

Now, what you expect to change in the coming years? In hypotheticals, yes, Mbappe can make the 4 next finals and rival Ronaldo in UCL, but come on, PSG is not going anywhere.

Eddy_JukeZ

No he wasn't, he had already won the UCL being a top performer, and a top performer in years he didn't win also.

As for Mbappe, disappearing act against a mediocre Bayern a year ago, point being, what he is for France is not what he is at club level.

Rest of club career goes without saying, one did it in EPL and La Liga, other is doing it in Ligue 1 for a state-run entity.

Now, what you expect to change in the coming years? In hypotheticals, yes, Mbappe can make the 4 next finals and rival Ronaldo in UCL, but come on, PSG is not going anywhere.
I mentioned Mbappe would have to move to Real in this hypothetical.

As for the bold: No, Mbappe didn't play well vs Bayern, but neither did the entire team. They were out-matched and had a terrible manager.

Did you condemn Ronaldo for his poor showings in the pivotal matches for the 2010 and 2011 Champions League too? Why was Mbappe not a top performer in years he didn't win, but Ronaldo automatically was? Ronaldo was no better in 2009 or 2010 than Mbappe was in 2021 or 2022.

Mbappe had double the goals that Ronaldo did in the CL up to age 25. And you're here saying Ronaldo was this world beater in the CL at the same time-frame of Mbappe's career thus far.

Ronaldo's performances(or rather output) massively improved from 2012 onwards(I forgot about his 2013 UCL campaign before). Before that, and comparing it to Mbappe's CL career thus far, I fail to see a notable difference in performance and output. Mbappe wasn't good vs Bayern last season(nor in the CL final too), but Ronaldo had his share of poor performances too with a lesser output.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

Not sure he would. I mean he is already 25 and his notable achievements so far are:

- WC win
- WC golden boot
- Ballon D’or runners up x 1 (3rd place)

To surpassed Ronaldo he probably has to achieve those feat over next decade or so:

- Euro win (his WC win already surpassed that)
- Euro golden boot (his WC golden boot already surpassed that)

- CL win x 5 (currently 0)
- Ballon D’or x 5 + runners up x 7 (currently runners up x 1)
- CL all time top goalscorer (97 goals behind)
- CL top goalscorer x 7 (currently 0)
- Euro all time top scorer (14 goals behind)
- International all time top goalscorer (82 goals behind)
- All time top goalscorer in football (558 goals behind)

Let’s assume Mbappe can remain at top until around age 35 (big if as his game relies heavily on his pace), he will need to achieve the following every single year over next decade in order to match Ronaldo achievements:

- 56 goals overall every year (never done that before, extremely difficult)
- Ballon D’or win or runners up every year (difficult but wont count that out totally)
- 10 CL goals every year (difficult but maybe achievable)
- 14 Euro goals over next 3 tournaments (maybe achievable)
- 8 international goals every year (achievable but depends on long period of consistency)
- CL win once every 2 year (extremely difficult, highly unlikely)
- CL top goalscorer once every 1.4 year (extremely difficult, highly unlikely)

I think based on his current level that’s extremely hard. He doesn’t even have 1 single year which could even match that average required at club level, let alone assuming he could achieve that every single season over next decade or so. We will have to assume he is going to improve even further and keep up his consistency/longevity at all time best level to stand any chance. But even so he will need lots of luck too (team progressing well in major competitions, stay injury free all the time).

But instead maybe he could be the best international player ever in modern era. I think that’s far more achievable for him with France. Let’s see.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Considering the sums of money in question (signing bonus+wages+ all the hidden between club and entourage), it's fairly easy to say tbh
Yes, but Liverpool, and other top clubs are not poverty stricken. They are just sensible. Wage structures are one thing, but Mbappé is not an ordinary player. A club may decide that they are going to make a financial exception for a player like that, just as clubs, and even entire league’s, have done for Messi/Ronaldo in the past.

I think Mbappé is a player you make a financial exception for, although he would likely need to meet them halfway. That’s said, let’s not pretend that any figure he receives at a club like PSG are simply ‘his wages’. They are his wages only for PSG. Plastic clubs like PSG are forced to bribe the best players to spend prime years with them. If Mbappé ever wants to return to the real world and relevant club football, he will find that his wages would need to be adjusted to reality, otherwise he can stay on the periphery of top club football and move between PSG and the Saudi Pro League. He doesn’t hold all the financial cards he may think he does. He can’t say he wants to play at a top level and decide that his wage demands are far above what any legitimate top club will pay him.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Yes, but Liverpool, and other top clubs are not poverty stricken. They are just sensible. Wage structures are one thing, but Mbappé is not an ordinary player. A club may decide that they are going to make a financial exception for a player like that, just as clubs, and even entire league’s, have done for Messi/Ronaldo in the past.

I think Mbappé is a player you make a financial exception for, although he would likely need to meet them halfway. That’s said, let’s not pretend that any figure he receives at a club like PSG are simply ‘his wages’. They are his wages only for PSG. Plastic clubs like PSG are forced to bribe the best players to spend prime years with them. If Mbappé ever wants to return to the real world and relevant club football, he will find that his wages would need to be adjusted to reality, otherwise he can stay on the periphery of top club football and move between PSG and the Saudi Pro League. He doesn’t hold all the financial cards he may think he does. He can’t say he wants to play at a top level and decide that his wage demands are far above what any legitimate top club will pay him.
He will have to do so but up to a certain point, he's at an age where his financial demands won't suddenly take a massive dip. PSG have created a monster basically

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He will have to do so but up to a certain point, he's at an age where his financial demands won't suddenly take a massive dip. PSG have created a monster basically
To whatever point the market dictates that he has to. Either that, or stay in Paris or sign a 600m deal for Al-Ittihad.

cyberman

I’ve said years ago people will be surprised where Halaand and Mbappe end up when everybody was equating them to La Liga always having the best players in the world. It’ll be a the definitive sign when both are in England that this league is now the be all and end all of world football but it’ll be a stupid signing for an English club to make.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
I’ve said years ago people will be surprised where Halaand and Mbappe end up when everybody was equating them to La Liga always having the best players in the world. It’ll be a the definitive sign when both are in England that this league is now the be all and end all of world football but it’ll be a stupid signing for an English club to make.
The only English club that ever had or has a chance of getting those two is City, and again, it's because they'd pay them more than they'd get at Barca or Real, both officially and probably off the books too. They weren't keeping prime David Silva and Aguero because they were anywhere near as big as those clubs, it's because they were giving them way way more than either of those clubs would.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’m not sure a 25 year old Mbappé is what I’d call a ‘stupid signing’ for any club really. I see no reason why the mentality here is to view players like Mbappé joining Madrid as simply how football should be, but joining Manchester United or Liverpool as some sort of imbalance. Madrid are the world’s biggest club, but we are second. Our league is by far the biggest and most watched as you said, and financially, United and Real are not hugely dissimilar, so if a deal makes sense for them, it can for us.

I still thank Madrid is the most logical choice for him, only that a top PL club isn’t ‘illogical’, certainly not in the way joining PSG was. He’s had his fun and made his money in Paris now. Now’s the time for him to put football first and cement his legacy IMO.

cyberman

The only English club that ever had or has a chance of getting those two is City, and again, it's because they'd pay them more than they'd get at Barca or Real, both officially and probably off the books too. They weren't keeping prime David Silva and Aguero because they were anywhere near as big as those clubs, it's because they were giving them way way more than either of those clubs would.
Other clubs could afford him, we are in that era now where effective finances are comparable. Chelsea just signed Caicedo for 130m odd when it’s all said and done.
I just think the league has its pick of every player below the Mbappes and Haalands of this world.
Say Liverpool buys him, is it worth tying so much money up when you can sign 2/3 players of high quality throughout the first 11? Not saying these players would go but they could sign Olise, Neto and Alphonso Davies and still save a fortune on wages instead?
I just think it’s not needed in this day and age.

cyberman

I’m not sure a 25 year old Mbappé is what I’d call a ‘stupid signing’ for any club really. I see no reason why the mentality here is to view players like Mbappé joining Madrid as simply how football should be, but joining Manchester United or Liverpool as some sort of imbalance. Madrid are the world’s biggest club, but we are second. Our league is by far the biggest and most watched as you said, and financially, United and Real are not hugely dissimilar, so if a deal makes sense for them, it can for us.

I still thank Madrid is the most logical choice for him, only that a top PL club isn’t ‘illogical’, certainly not in the way joining PSG was. He’s had his fun and made his money in Paris now. Now’s the time for him to put football first and cement his legacy IMO.
I’ve said it in another post but the league has its pick of players outside of the absolute elite these days. I don’t even think Haaland goes to City without the clause saving them money.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Apparently he is looking for insane money as well as a massive signing bonus.
I don't see him going anywhere.