Kylian Mbappe | Merci.

antk

Anyone believing PSG would sit out a player they pay dozens of millions of euros for an entire season are genuinely crazy (not to mention the missed sponsoring opportunities, or the inevitable huge domestic public backlash).

Or maybe I'm underestimating the power of heads of states' grudges.

Eddy_JukeZ

There's no way Mbappe himself would sit out the season.

That's complete nonsense. Is there any precedent for a player choosing to sit out a season? Not sure that's ever happened before in football.

Tyrion

Anyone believing PSG would sit out a player they pay dozens of millions of euros for an entire season are genuinely crazy (not to mention the missed sponsoring opportunities, or the inevitable huge domestic public backlash).

I'd love them to do it just to prove a point. Mbappe has taken them for a ride so why shouldn't they call his bluff.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
What a waste of his club career. He has already wasted a few seasons at France. Imagine him being frozen out over next season..

Tyrion

what a waste of a year of his career.
I think he's doing that anyway. He's obviously decided PSG isn't where he wants to be but he's sticking around to pick up the loyalty bonus. That's 2 years he's wasted to get 8-9 figure sums from PSG considering he did the same last summer. The next time I hear a sycophantic journalist say he's "clever and not interested in money" I'll laugh.

antk

I'd love them to do it just to prove a point. Mbappe has taken them for a ride so why shouldn't they call his bluff.
Prove what point? What bluff? Now players are not only supposed to not push for transfers (which Mbappé did in 2021 and PSG refused despite a 180M€ offer from RM), they should also indefinitely extend their contracts to their current clubs until those clubs themselves see fit?

antk

I think he's doing that anyway. He's obviously decided PSG isn't where he wants to be but he's sticking around to pick up the loyalty bonus. That's 2 years he's wasted to get 8-9 figure sums from PSG considering he did the same last summer. The next time I hear a sycophantic journalist say he's "clever and not interested in money" I'll laugh.
Can you elaborate on what's the issue is supposed to be in any of what you've just stated? "Player and club sign a contract. Player intends to honor the terms of said contract." really doesn't seem this awful.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

These figures are mad
That’s interesting. If he only has 2 choice:

A) get frozen and sit on bench at PSG for rest of season and then move to Madrid for free

B) get paid mega wage at Saudi and played there for a season, and then move to Madrid

What will he choose?

Tyrion

Can you elaborate on what's the issue is supposed to be in any of what you've just stated? "Player and club sign a contract. Player intends to honor the terms of said contract." really doesn't seem this awful.
He's refusing to be sold. He's spent the last 2-3 seasons looking at the exit and disrupting them constantly and now hes decided he's staying another year so this will just drag on. They're right to want to rip this bandage off.

Tyrion

That’s interesting. If he only has 2 choice:

A) get frozen and sit on bench at PSG for rest of season and then move to Madrid for free

B) get paid mega wage at Saudi and played there for a season, and then move to Madrid

What will he choose?
He's pretty consistently gone for money so I can definitely see him going to SA.

antk

He's refusing to be sold. He's spent the last 2-3 seasons looking at the exit and disrupting them constantly and now hes decided he's staying another year so this will just drag on. They're right to want to rip this bandage off.
What is the issue with refusing to be sold? Why are PSG refusing to keep him?

Tyrion

So he can pocket a €100M signing on fee that would have instead gone to PSG? Even for billionaires that's a big number.
I know that's his reason but that's no good for PSG. They've let him take them for a ride imo. It's about time they start to grow a backbone.

Bojan Djordjic

As much as I'd love him, I'm also worried that these guys like him, Messi and Ronaldo (in their latter years) are complete club killers. You have to break the bank to fund their transfers and wages and then you need to build a team around them that is willing to sacrifice their personal performances for the individual. A team with Rashford and Mbappe's non-existent pressing combined with Bruno and Casemiro's carelessness in posession would be getting destroyed on counters.

Tyrion

As much as I'd love him, I'm also worried that these guys like him, Messi and Ronaldo (in their latter years) are complete club killers. You have to break the bank to fund their transfers and wages and then you need to build a team around them that is willing to sacrifice their personal performances for the individual. A team with Rashford and Mbappe's non-existent pressing combined with Bruno and Casemiro's carelessness in posession would be getting destroyed on counters.
That's what happened with PSG. Jonathan Wilson said signing Messi made PSG less likely to win the champions league and he turned out to be right. They basically played with only 7 outfield players defending because Mbappe and Messi are too lazy/old and Neymar doesn't really bother either.

Apparently Mbappe made 0 tackles and 0 interceptions at the world cup.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Prove what point? What bluff? Now players are not only supposed to not push for transfers (which Mbappé did in 2021 and PSG refused despite a 180M€ offer from RM), they should also indefinitely extend their contracts to their current clubs until those clubs themselves see fit?
Oh so it was normal for Mbappé to push for a transfer in 2021 but it's not normal for PSG to do the same thing now?

tjb

Oh so it was normal for Mbappé to push for a transfer in 2021 but it's not normal for PSG to do the same thing now?
But PSG should not make Mbappe look like he's disrupting things. It's business, both parties have treated it like business, PSG can't come and start acting like Mbappe is a mercenary now when it doesn't suit them anymore.

When Verratti tried to move to Barcelona in 2017, PSG kept him and told him to honor his contract. Well in this case it's their turn to honor theirs. People always say players cause their own problems when they sign extensions, yet here we are again where a club is using force and media manipulation to threaten a player to sign a new contract or leave. Football might need a situation like this with a big player like Mbappe doing this so players like Kane don't have to suffer through what he's going through with Tottenham.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
But PSG should not make Mbappe look like he's disrupting things. It's business, both parties have treated it like business, PSG can't come and start acting like Mbappe is a mercenary now when it doesn't suit them anymore.

When Verratti tried to move to Barcelona in 2017, PSG kept him and told him to honor his contract. Well in this case it's their turn to honor theirs. People always say players cause their own problems when they sign extensions, yet here we are again where a club is using force and media manipulation to threaten a player to sign a new contract or leave. Football might need a situation like this with a big player like Mbappe doing this so players like Kane don't have to suffer through what he's going through with Tottenham.
So you mean football needs a situation with Mbappé not being bothered for honoring his contract so Kane doesn't have to honor his? How does it make sense, his situation is the opposit.

On top of that, Mbappé is threatening to leave the club since 2019, he has zero credibility when he's trying to act like a good little soldier who wants to finish his contract. I'm not saying PSG isn't to blame because they're obviously trying to strong-arm him but he's the one that started this whole PR circus years ago with public threats at very inappropriate moments.

Last edited:

SmithLogic

Is there too much baggage though to be a United player here? Although, I’ll be honest, I only think he wants Real Madrid, and I perhaps prefer that danish kid.

tjb

So you mean football needs a situation with Mbappé not being bothered for honoring his contract so Kane doesn't have to honor his? How does it make sense, his situation is the opposit.

On top of that, Mbappé is threatening to leave the club since 2019, he has zero credibility when he's trying to act like a good little soldier who wants to finish his contract. I'm not saying PSG isn't to blame because they're obviously trying to strong-arm him but he's the one that started this whole PR circus years ago with public threats at very inappropriate moments.
He's threatened to leave the club and the club have previously priced him out of a move. Tables have turned in this case. The club offered him the loyalty bonus, he accepted and signed. He plans to collect it next season after being loyal to PSG by staying. He's keeping to his end of the contract. All Mbappe essentially did was insinuate that he wouldn't be staying after next season. We've seen clubs tell player during a season that they are going to be sold or their contracts aren't going to be renewed. Yet we expect those players to honor their contract despite feeling poorly about it. Here PSG have had the tables turned on them and they can't seem to accept it without venting to every media outlet.

Kane has also been trying to leave for the past few seasons and has also been priced out of a deal by Spurs. It's similar in that sense. Unlike Mbappe, Kane signed a longer term extension and has now had to deal with being overpriced to every team Spurs have negotiated with. I would argue, knowing that he would like to move in future, Kane should have done what Mbappe did, take a shorter term contract and have the option to move for free when the contract expires.

I've seen clubs marginalize, bench and punish players for choosing not to sign contracts that will determine their future, with media outlets consistently supporting these clubs because "players are already millionaires", not truly appreciating that clubs are billion dollar entities. Players due to trying to appease fans of the teams they've played with have often succombed to a disadvantage in these situations with clubs, where the clubs are open to using media outlets to push negative stories about these players. I've often heard people call players greedy, but never put attention to clubs in these circumstances. Now due to these clubs like Napoli, Tottenham and their like pricing players out of moves to desired locations ( after some have previously made promises), the players are now making a choice to see out their contracts. This summer, so many older players did not receive new contracts, the players didn't hold them to ransom, threaten not to play or verbal abuse the club to media outlets. So PSG need to behave themselves, honour the contract that was signed and accept the fact that Mbappe will be leaving next season

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I’ve not been following this very closely and can’t be bothered to read a 20 paragraph statement by PSG. Essentially what I get is that PSG want to keep him but if they can’t want to sell him this summer rather than letting him walk on a free transfer. Mbappe doesn’t want to go this summer presumably because he’d be too expensive for this favouritest club Madrid and wants to leave on a free pocketing much of the would be transfer money himself. And now PSG have left him out of the squad. Does that sum it up?

If so, I can’t begrudge what PSG have done. They should absolutely push him out this season but at the same time need to temper their fee demands as they’re the ones that need to sell and every club doesn’t have unlimited state funding. I think leaving him on the bench this season or threatening to do so is a good move and PSG should be able to afford it.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I’ve not been following this very closely and can’t be bothered to read a 20 paragraph statement by PSG. Essentially what I get is that PSG want to keep him but if they can’t want to sell him this summer rather than letting him walk on a free transfer. Mbappe doesn’t want to go this summer presumably because he’d be too expensive for this favouritest club Madrid and wants to leave on a free pocketing much of the would be transfer money himself. And now PSG have left him out of the squad. Does that sum it up?

If so, I can’t begrudge what PSG have done. They should absolutely push him out this season but at the same time need to temper their fee demands as they’re the ones that need to sell and every club doesn’t have unlimited state funding. I think leaving him on the bench this season or threatening to do so is a good move and PSG should be able to afford it.
PSG are terrified that he is running down his contract and will leave for free next year. What they should be pissed at is their own idiotic management, but spoiled billionaires rarely blame themselves. Mbappe is quite a character, of course but he has no obligation to not milk them

amolbhatia50k

They’re rich enough to take the hit. Mbappe’s non transfer is also costing them 150m minimum. Besides if Mbappe is actually willing to have a season of his career written off he has his priorities terrible misplaced. Their stand makes complete sense and hopefully Mbappe puts his career first by trying to get a move away this summer.

amolbhatia50k

PSG are terrified that he is running down his contract and will leave for free next year. What they should be pissed at is their own idiotic management, but spoiled billionaires rarely blame themselves. Mbappe is quite a character, of course but he has no obligation to not milk them
They’re a poorly run club no doubt however he’d be a complete wanker to prioritise a fee payment the following season over football this coming one.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
If we sell Maguire, VdB, Fred, Henderson, and McTominay, plus the fees we raised from Telles and Elanga, that’s 100m right there. Plus maybe another 20-40 already left in the kitty. And then offer them 140/150 plus Martial. He could be ours.

We’d have to fill a couple of squad spots with academy players, but it’d be worth it.

Marcus

If we sell Maguire, VdB, Fred, Henderson, and McTominay, plus the fees we raised from Telles and Elanga, that’s 100m right there. Plus maybe another 20-40 already left in the kitty. And then offer them 140/150 plus Martial. He could be ours.

We’d have to fill a couple of squad spots with academy players, but it’d be worth it.
I really don't know. Mbappe already "dreams" of playing for Real. What kind of an influence would be have on the rest of the team? I like the EtH one for all all for one spirit which has been built.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.

PSG didn't win anything worthwhile with him + Messi and Neymar. What does that tell you?

I doubt Ten Hag would want a diva like Mbappe in his squad. Balanced, strong team of hard-working players wins big trophies.

Jacob

Has it ever happened before? A top tier player being bench for a full season?

mshnsh

1. Mbappe scored 36 goals (L1+CL) at age 24 whereas Ronaldo scored 33 goals (LL+CL) at age 24 (he was injured for months). So by your logic Mbappe should have higher rating. But obviously it’s not the case here. Ronaldo beat Mbappe by huge margin there.

2. I can only find the earliest performance stats from Ronaldo at age 24, so that’s the only season we could make the comparison. Maybe next season we could compare them at 25. You’ve said Ronaldo was not better than Mbappe at any age so that’s good enough to address your claim.

3. Source from whoscored. Same website which has highest rating and dribbling stats for Messi. So it isn’t bias towards Ronaldo.
So, that was Ronaldo's debut season at Madrid and outside scoring, his standout season there. After that season, he completed between 2 and 2.5 dribbles until 2015 ( his peak years) which is good but definitely not unreachable. Same for his other stats like assists, chances created etc. On the flipside, this was Mbappe's worst season in a while regardless of his numbers. I don't think it is a fair comparison.

Interms of goals, Mbappe has more UCL goals at 24 than Ronaldo did. Mbappe has done much better for France individually than Ronaldo ever did.

But, all this is besides the point. My point is that Ronaldo never played at a level that is unreachable (even if he played at a high level); that is a myth created by his fanboys. I watched Ronaldo since his debut vs Bolton all those years ago and never did I feel that I'm watching someone playing at that mythical level. For most of his peak, I saw a physical specimen that was great on the counters and a goalscoring machine who could score any type of goal.

And, it is not a lie to suggest that a world class talent like Mbappe has atleast reached that level even without achieving that level of success at club level. The Real team Ronaldo played for was much better than PSG and the opposite is true for France vs Portugal.

mshnsh

Don't be fecking stupid.
It absolutely is an exaggeration to say this.
No one dislikes Ronaldo as much as me, but peak Ronaldo was a much better player than Mbappé has been so far, I don't think it's even debatable. Mbappé will be lucky if he's career ends up being reasonably comparable to Ronaldo's.
It's definitely an exaggeration.
My point is that Ronaldo never played at a level that is unreachable (even if he played at a high level); that is a myth created by his fanboys. I watched Ronaldo since his debut vs Bolton all those years ago and never did I feel that I'm watching someone playing at that mythical level. For most of his peak, I saw a physical specimen that was great on the counters and a goalscoring machine who could score any type of goal.

And, it is not a lie to suggest that a world class talent like Mbappe has atleast reached that level even without achieving that level of success at club level. The Real team Ronaldo played for was much better than PSG and the opposite is true at international level.

Longevity and numbers rather than peak allround performances propelled Ronaldo to greatness.

Sir Chapman

Totally agree, you would have to build a team around him but we are just getting a strong team built with ETH and we are attractive again for players. Also the fact, Rashford apparently gets quite well along with him and they obsessively like each other posts, maybe agent Rashford should work a bit on it. Just imagining them up front ;)

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
So, that was Ronaldo's debut season at Madrid and outside scoring, his standout season there. After that season, he completed between 2 and 2.5 dribbles until 2015 ( his peak years) which is good but definitely not unreachable. Same for his other stats like assists, chances created etc. On the flipside, this was Mbappe's worst season in a while regardless of his numbers. I don't think it is a fair comparison.

Interms of goals, Mbappe has more UCL goals at 24 than Ronaldo did. Mbappe has done much better for France individually than Ronaldo ever did.

But, all this is besides the point. My point is that Ronaldo never played at a level that is unreachable (even if he played at a high level); that is a myth created by his fanboys. I watched Ronaldo since his debut vs Bolton all those years ago and never did I feel that I'm watching someone playing at that mythical level. For most of his peak, I saw a physical specimen that was great on the counters and a goalscoring machine who could score any type of goal.

And, it is not a lie to suggest that a world class talent like Mbappe has atleast reached that level even without achieving that level of success at club level. The Real team Ronaldo played for was much better than PSG and the opposite is true for France vs Portugal.
You are the one who claimed Ronaldo being better goalscorer and Mbappe being better in performance. Now with that performance stats being compared in detail at same age, you are changing the narrative completely in different direction suggesting Mbappe being better goalscorer at CL instead. Whatever suits you, you have already made up your mind in Ronaldo long ago, he just isn’t good enough in your eyes regardless of any stats/truth/opinions being presented to you.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I really don't understand Fair Play. We are hamstrung by it but Chelsea can spend hundreds of millions more than us last year, sell some players and lash out hundreds of millions again (if it's true that they can afford Mbappe), while Arsenal, who's revenue can't be close to ours, can also spend a small fortune

Plastic Evra

There's no way Mbappe himself would sit out the season.

That's complete nonsense. Is there any precedent for a player choosing to sit out a season? Not sure that's ever happened before in football.
The outspoken Bernd Schuster (who was 26 or 27) didn't play a whole year (1986/87) at FC Barca after he got really mad for being subbed out of the C1 final against the Steaua Bucarest by Venables and going back directly to the hotel. Club president Nunez vowed Schuster would never play again for the club, the player said he was happy just seeing out his last two remaining years without accepting transfer offers. It all went to labor court.
He was reintegrated the season after but left for Real Madrid in 1988, on a free I believe.

Reactions: Jippy

georgipep

I really don't understand Fair Play. We are hamstrung by it but Chelsea can spend hundreds of millions more than us last year, sell some players and lash out hundreds of millions again (if it's true that they can afford Mbappe), while Arsenal, who's revenue can't be close to ours, can also spend a small fortune
It's accounting you don't understand, not Fair Play.