La Liga 2023/24

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Thing is, Alaves aren't a good team. The man advantage helped them keep us at bay, but it actually damaged their chances of winning the game. We're still pretty great in positional defence, it takes a City caliber of attack to break us down when we're focused on it

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Alaves have been nothing short of a disgrace here. No chances with one man extra. 3 of them marking Bellingham from that corner while Rudiger and Nacho were completely free.
Yeah, embarrassing lack of ambition there. Their manager was about to cry after the goal, his tactics asked for it.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Best defensive record in the league somehow, shouldnt hold for very long with how many CBs we are missing now.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
On the bright side, now we *have* to sign a CB :lol:

Btw our CB playing for them was pretty good tonight

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
On the bright side, now we *have* to sign a CB :lol:

Btw our CB playing for them was pretty good tonight
Yeah, but if we don't, at least we get to find out how well Camavinga can play at CB.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
We’ll just play Tchou as CB. Club won’t sign anyone.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
So we are leaders now.

PS: 4 CBs unavailable, can't believe this.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Rudi, Tchou and Carlo already openly joking about it

Now Fede has been...a revelation, playing as the nominal DM in the double pivot, but still. For one thing, he can't play every minute of every game at least

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Even the Alaves manager was in Christmas party mood after Madrid scored:

:D
That poor guy :lol: “Feck did I do? I’m not on the pitch!”

————

Fede did well as DM, I swear he can play everywhere. Tchou will be CB, Fede DM and I think Cama will replace Modric or maybe Fran if Mendy is out for a long time again.

We’ll make due I guess. That midfield gives us an incredible amount of flexibility. Not ideal but hopefully it will be enough to win the title.

Everyone fit I’d argue we are the favorites for the CL but doesn’t seem likely with injury after injury.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Having 15 midfielders and still coming up short in midfield because we have to field everyone elsewhere

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Having 15 midfielders and still coming up short in midfield because we have to field everyone elsewhere
Midfield is fine, for now. Camavinga should be back soon, Fede and Jude getting rest (finally) and Kroos/Modric are still reliable. Good thing we didn't sell them, they came through when we needed them. Especially Kroos.

Bigger worry is the attack. Diaz is doing well with the minutes he gets. Joselu is...Joselu and honestly it was never planned for him to play as much as this. Rodrygo plays a lot, don't know how feasible it will be for him to keep it up till the end of the season. Vini still out till February but I guess he'll be well rested for the remainder of the season.

Honestly Carlo is working miracles at the moment.

RoyH1

Even the Alaves manager was in Christmas party mood after Madrid scored:

:D
This video is going be an absolute goldmine for meme creators. Rage and frustration in its purest form :lol:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Girona missed a sitter and now scored. 2 minutes in. Against Atletico

Holy shit we're gonna lose the league to them aren't we??? :lol:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Girona are box office. 10/10 attack, 0/10 defence

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
For a bit I thought that Morata had learned how to not be offsides.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
For a bit I thought that Morata had learned how to not be offsides.

I swear every time I check one of their games, Morata is banging the goals in but when I check his stats they’re usually bang average. He does seem more prolific this season than previous year though.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Burst out laughing when that goal went in.

Girona's season really.

Couto's on loan from City isn't he, he'll be Kyle Walker's replacement there when the time comes.

JogaBonitoRooney

Girona make me believe the game is not all lost. Football needs another underdog story like Leicester as a breath of fresh air.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Girona make me believe the game is not all lost. Football needs another underdog story like Leicester as a breath of fresh air.
Unfortunately, they're under the CFG umbrella, and they've benefitted from it with players like Yan Couto, Aleix García, Eric Garcia, Sávio (ESTAC Troyes is also under CFG), and Yangel Herrera.

Captmfla

Actually, Morata was never really a striker to begin with. I still remember he used to be played as a midfielder more and then suddenly pushed to be a striker so of course, initially there would be many misses and offsides from him.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Like Brighton on steroids pretty much.
Difference in quality between la liga and the PL plus a bit of luck, and winning built up their confidence something fierce.

I'm not sure they're as good as Brighton in terms of potential. Or even in general

RoyH1

As much as Girona was an offensive machine, Atletico doing as Atletico does which is to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. How can they late late goals like that go in when Simeone is a vaunted defensive coach?
I wish I could be happier about Girona's cinderella story but them being part of the City group gives me a bad aftertaste. How I wish this was Betis, Real Sociedad or another club that had independent ownership.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Difference in quality between la liga and the PL plus a bit of luck, and winning built up their confidence something fierce.

I'm not sure they're as good as Brighton in terms of potential. Or even in general
Love their playing out from the back. Brighton taunt teams with Dunk raking his studs as opposition close in and within 2-3 passes Buonanotte or Mitoma are running at their back 4.

Now start of second half Girona were being thoroughly outplayed. Morata must've had 4-5 serious chances to score in first 10 minutes alone but Girona didn't just start punting the ball anywhere, they kept on playing through Atletico's midfield and eventually created a few decent counter attacks with Couto on the right which started winning them corners. They continued taking risks and eventually won even if the winner was a bit of a fluke.

Pablo Torre did a beautiful turn on halfway line aswell which took out 2-3 Atletico players that was great to watch, shame he pulled up with cramp a few minutes later.

Europa would probably be a better competition for them given Villareal's success in that three years ago but their style will certainly grace the CL although of course after this success they'll probably lose half their team and coach over the summer so difficult to say if they can find the same chemistry next season.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The problem for them is this season has been a bit of a perfect storm. To win playing like this you need strikers finishing lights out, and given the quality of their forwards, that's far from a given. Otherwise once you face teams of a similar/greater talent level, these kinds of shootouts don't end in your favour

LaLiga is perfect for them, because very few teams can actually match their attacking quality(in this regard la liga is by far the weakest of the top 5 leagues) and of the few that do only Real Madrid have been reliable, so now they are challenging for the title

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Sevilla genuinely have little this season. Mediocre defence that has been weakened to accomodate Ramos, poor full backs, midfield that is too slow and attack looks toothless without En-Nesyri. Ocampos is the only one with a bit of effort and quality in final third.

Last season it always felt like they'd pull a win out when they really needed it at home. Don't see the same thing 12 months on so they could really go down if Celta or Cadiz string a few wins together.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Sevilla genuinely have little this season. Mediocre defence that has been weakened to accomodate Ramos, poor full backs, midfield that is too slow and attack looks toothless without En-Nesyri. Ocampos is the only one with a bit of effort and quality in final third.

Last season it always felt like they'd pull a win out when they really needed it at home. Don't see the same thing 12 months on so they could really go down if Celta or Cadiz string a few wins together.
The defending for Athletic Club's goals was non existant.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid

Has Ramos weakened their defense? Age comes for everyone, but thought he was decent the select few times I watched PSG last season.