La Liga 2023/24

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
He looked done a few years ago to be honest. I knew he was kinda rushed back from injury in that game but when we played you in the second leg of CL semis he looked a complete shadow of what he used to be. He's looked washed every time I've watched him since then.
I hardly ever watch PSG, but I thought he was quite good vs Bayern last year.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Just saw some of the clips of the Real game against Almeria. Wow. Would have to agree with everybody but the Real fans in here that that was daylight robbery of the highest order. Crazy crazy.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Just saw some of the clips of the Real game against Almeria. Wow. Would have to agree with everybody but the Real fans in here that that was daylight robbery of the highest order. Crazy crazy.
In truth it was a normal robbery the likes of which happen pretty frequently

The number of incidents make it look worse than it is

Mr.Fantastic

Supports
Real Madrid
Because it gives the most relevant information.

It shows you more clearly the exact frame when it hits on the body which is very high for it to be the red area. It is clearly the green area.

Plus, if you have ever played football, you would know the trajectory the ball follows would not be possible if it was a handball. The ball tends to drop in that case, never bounce with such force.
The issue is you are disregarding rotation of body. Basically when looking at situation in certain angle it looked like basically he played with hand like a tennis racket. In such case you provide enough force.

Anyway it is 50-50 call. Big teams will get it, small usually not. The issue for me is he should have called a goal right away and then check it on VAR, due to having clearer picture on the situation. Bellingham foul should have been called instantly, and there would be no goal - VAR review and dumbass drama. First decision is actually problematic. Specifically Rudiger and his magic funky hands.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Let's not put the image that defends your team. Let's clear up the controversial plays better.

https://x.com/lahorablaugrana/status/1749218446376624418?s=20

There is also an aggression from Vinicius but the VAR does nothing at all.

Actually you make a good point Don_Johan, lets share all the controversies and all the videos and images we can.

In order of appearance:

- Foul on Rodrygo but I disagree with the commentator that it should be a yellow.
- Foul on Bellingham off the ball that was not called.
- Foul on Nacho that should have been a yellow. No card was shown.
- Foul on Vinicius that was not called.
- Foul off the ball on Bellingham that was not called.
- Foul on Bellingham that deserved a yellow. No card was shown.
- Foul on Bellingham that deserved a yellow or maybe even a red. Not even a foul called.
- Foul on Rudiger that was not called. Some people say that happens before Almeria's second goal but I haven't checked that myself.
- The infamous handball that led to the penalty. Let's disagree with the commentator again and point out at Rudiger's foul.
- Foul on Bellingham that the referee does not see (is there anything this referee can see?) and VAR corrects.
- The shoulder/handball Vinicius goal that has been talked about in depth in this thread.
- Another foul on Bellingham. A yellow card was shown and I disagree with the commentator that it could have been a red.
- The referee says it is a foul by Brahim when it should have been a foul by the Almeria player.
- Hand on Bellingham's face. The commentator says it should have been a yellow. It think a foul is enough.
- Foul on Camavinga. It should have been a yellow but no card was shown.
- Foul by Camavinga. A yellow was shown but it was undeserved. Very similar play to the first foul on Rodrygo, even softer.
- Foul by Chumy on Ceballos off the ball. The commentator says it could be a red card because Chumy uses his elbow but I need more angles to see what he does. It is at least a yellow. Not even a foul was called.

There are two other controversial plays that don't appear in the video. One penalty on Brahim which should have been called but was not and Bellingham being pulled by the shirt in the area. The last one is a bit soft imo but we have seen penalties being called for that (Xavi vs Espanyol ages ago comes to mind).

PS: at some point during the match the sport should been called KickBellinghamBecauseNothingWillHappen instead of football.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
LP up 1-0 against RM. Deservedly so. Real has been incredibly poor (for some time now tbh).

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Typical Madrid game under Ancelotti.. sleeping and walking on the pitch until the opponent scores..after that Remontada is ON haha

RoyH1

Madrid look incredibly ponderous but it's become almost a tradition that they're that way dec to february.
Could’ve been rich at this point just betting on it :lol:
The bookies wouldn't let you win any money on Madrid coming back from behind, :D

cyberman

Never forget this is the squad that Barca have gambled their future on. This is meant to carry them for many seasons after this

Zed is not dead

I got lot of heat last year for saying that Araujo was a very average defender, but boy is he proving me right this season

RoyH1

With the refs in the spotlight, Barsa cannot get its usual helping hand.
Xavi gone after this?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Never forget this is the squad that Barca have gambled their future on. This is meant to carry them for many seasons after this
The better ones are already well over 30 like Gundogan and Lewa. Then you have squad players like Romeu and Alonso over 30 aswell.

They'll just have to gamble on youth like they did in the mid 2000s, some of them are superstars in the making of course.

I can see them missing out on top 4 with how bad they are defensively. Atletico Madrid will certainly finish above them and Bilbao are only 3 points off them so that will surely be a hammer to their finances given how important CL income is.

slored1

Pena is a dreadful goalkeeper for Barca's level. They should sign De Gea instead if he keeps leaking goals like he has been in the past few weeks.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I don't know if this is his sentence or if they will wait until the Champions League but it doesn't look good. I guess Rafa Márquez will coach after that, and next year? Michel, from Girona?

the_cliff

I don't know if this is his sentence or if they will wait until the Champions League but it doesn't look good. I guess Rafa Márquez will coach after that, and next year? Michel, from Girona?
You think Klopp would be interested after his year break ?

cyberman

The better ones are already well over 30 like Gundogan and Lewa. Then you have squad players like Romeu and Alonso over 30 aswell.

They'll just have to gamble on youth like they did in the mid 2000s, some of them are superstars in the making of course.

I can see them missing out on top 4 with how bad they are defensively. Atletico Madrid will certainly finish above them and Bilbao are only 3 points off them so that will surely be a hammer to their finances given how important CL income is.
They could also have gambled on youth without selling future income to bring in shite but Barca fans told us that was impossible so now they’re stuck doing that anyway

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
You think Klopp would be interested after his year break ?
Surely those of you who follow the premier league more closely know his way of thinking better, but from what I understand he is not a big fan of teams like Madrid and Barcelona.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
If Lewandowski and/or his family don't fancy Saudi Arabia, I think they are stucj with him for two more seasons after this.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Surely those of you who follow the premier league more closely know his way of thinking better, but from what I understand he is not a big fan of teams like Madrid and Barcelona.
I‘d love to see Klopp at Atleti but I believe he needs a longer break or is done with coaching.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They could also have gambled on youth without selling future income to bring in shite but Barca fans told us that was impossible so now they’re stuck doing that anyway
They won a league title which they desperately needed at the time. I don't think a lot of people quite understand the psychology of spanish fans. It also did decidedly improve their revenue, which is pretty damn important given their financial situation. Plus yeah, they kind of had to sell future earnings just to pay the players they already had under contract, so might as well sell more of it if they can be competitive all along. Their bet is whatever future % of income they "lose" won't matter because they'll still keep enough to stay competitive. LaLiga did the same thing as a whole, and even Real Madrid had to rely on this a couple years ago to cover the impact of covid+stadium renovations. Real Madrid, Girona and Athletic Bilbao are pretty much the only spanish sides not in financial trouble these days. And Girona are owned by Abu Dhabi

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Barca have become so dislikeable in last decade with their general actions, certainly a club that's really up itself and like an addict who refuses all help with their reckless financial decisions so no sympathy for me if they hit relatively hard financial times.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I‘d love to see Klopp at Atleti but I believe he needs a longer break or is done with coaching.
Atletico Madrid ultras are nazis. Literally nazis. And the club actually keeps close ties to them instead of trying to get rid

You think Klopp would go for that?

cyberman

They won a league title which they desperately needed at the time. I don't think a lot of people quite understand the psychology of spanish fans. It also did decidedly improve their revenue, which is pretty damn important given their financial situation. Plus yeah, they kind of had to sell future earnings just to pay the players they already had under contract, so might as well sell more of it if they can be competitive all along. Their bet is whatever future % of income they "lose" won't matter because they'll still keep enough to stay competitive. LaLiga did the same thing as a whole, and even Real Madrid had to rely on this a couple years ago to cover the impact of covid+stadium renovations. Real Madrid, Girona and Athletic Bilbao are pretty much the only spanish sides not in financial trouble these days. And Girona are owned by Abu Dhabi
But the argument was never the next season, it was the fact this was the squad for the next few after that. Any blip at all at any stage completely fecks them over.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Atlético will keep Simeone. They remain competitive year after year. If he had wanted to leave (Lazio or Inter?) I think he would have done it years ago, plus he has a very good contract.
If he wants to revive any team it is Valencia. I would like to see him at Athletic too and see how he would imprint his style, like Heynckes or Bielsa in the past, although Valverde is a very good coach and they don't need him.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Nah, Klopp will not go to Spain imo.. Italy is more possible destination. What about Hanzi Flick as a next Barca coach if we gonna speak about german coaches..

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
But the argument was never the next season, it was the fact this was the squad for the next few after that. Any blip at all at any stage completely fecks them over.
Eeeeh. Lots of youngsters in there. It's not a fading team they have there, it's one that's supposed to peak in a few years

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Atletico Madrid ultras are nazis. Literally nazis. And the club actually keeps close ties to them instead of trying to get rid

You think Klopp would go for that?
Admittedly not too familiar with their fan scene. Was only speaking in regards to Klopp‘s approach which isn’t too dissimilar from Atleti‘s.

the_cliff

Managers say lots of things to appease their own fan base and make them feel special in their own way. I think he's more interested in the Germany job after the Euros but can see Barca maybe convincing him. He's done England and Germany now, surely a club in Spain would be his next choice.