La Liga/Serie A/BuLi Draft - 1st Rd Skizzo/Pat Mustard vs Edgar Allan Pillow

Who will win with player peaks in the specified leagues (not career peaks)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Marty1968

The toss is made and EAP will take the first pen.

Vieri has been an absolute beast all game long and is first up.....

Marty1968

Of course he does....he's Mr Cool in these situations. Slots it home no troubles.

Early lead for Skizzo/Pat

Marty1968

Next up for Edgar...Mr Offside, Pippo Inzaghi. He looks tired but gives a wave to the crowd....

Up he steps....

Marty1968

Another save....Edgar is having a mare here. Both his big guns up front have chocked at the worst moment. Advantage Skizzo/Pat!

Marty1968

Hierro steps up with the chance to give Skizzo and Pat a 2-0 lead....Unlucky not to score the winner in injury time but hopefully he can put that behind him...

Marty1968

Lizarazu must score this one surely. He's got the weight of the world on his shoulders and Edgar screams instrutions at him from the touchline. Up he steps....

Marty1968

Finally on the scoresheet in this shootout and from the most unlikely of sources. 2-1 to Skizzo/Pat and its Andreas Moller up next.

Doesn't look phased by the boos and whistles from the crowd behind the goal. Here he comes...

Marty1968

This man doesn't miss (as all us England fans know too well!) 3-1 Skizzo

Marty1968

Deco must score to keep Edgar in the game. The little guy looks calm but Zenga in goal is ready to pounce...

A two step run up and he gives Zenga the eyes.......

Marty1968

BUT Zenga is too clever for that. He doesn't move and Deco's cheeky panenka down the middle flops straight into his arms......

IT'S ALL OVER!

Skizzo/Pat win the shootout 3-1 and Zenga is the star of the show. He runs off to celebrate with the adorning fans.

Cracking match guys. Well Done @Skizzo @Pat_Mustard . Unlucky @Edgar Allan Pillow (you just didn't have enough germans in your team who were brave enough to step up).

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
:D It's true though. All I can see is you both + Pat talking to each other back and forth; recycling the same points where you both knew it wouldn't change others opinion (at least none would admit it during the game) :lol:.

Although that Klinsmann video did alter my opinion on him (in a good way).

Skizzo

:D It's true though. All I can see is you both + Pat talking to each other back and forth; recycling the same points where you both knew it wouldn't change others opinion (at least none would admit it during the game) :lol:.

Although that Klinsmann video did alter my opinion on him (in a good way).
There's a fine line between making a point, and rambling on and putting people off bothering to read it :lol: I totally get it. There's plenty of times we crossed that line and got a little wordy. I tend to skim those posts in other matches too.

Ah well. That's what I get for having too much time on my hands :p

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Think the opposite is true tbf and that description is more in line with a Godín style stopper imo. Boateng has excelled in a high line for Bayern where one requires top notch athleticism and reading of the game. He's been one of Bayern's (and Germany's) key players at the back with his all-round game and excellent ability on the ball. Think he is perfect for EAP's set-up myself, or any other one for that matter.
I don't think I was clear enough (too superficial, in fact) in my description of Boateng.

Yes, he isn't a Godín-style stopper, that's true. However, what made Boateng valuable for Bayern was his ability to win the ball quickly and cover large distances with his speed. His main strengths were his ability on the ball, his comfort in marking opposing players, his ability to step up and apply the pressure/win the ball, his heading, and his speed that helped him cover the distances. I'd have been okay with him had he just had to deal with Bebeto, but both Bebeto and Klinsi, especially Klinsi, and then there's Möller drifting around with one of Hierro and Baraja making late runs into the box as well...Boateng wouldn't really thrive in this sort of a setup. He'd thrive better in a setup where he can isolate attackers and close them down quickly, in a setup where he can have more of the ball than not, in a setup where he can make the most of his strengths, and EAP's team wasn't that.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
He'd thrive better in a setup where he can isolate attackers and close them down quickly, in a setup where he can have more of the ball than not, in a setup where he can make the most of his strengths, and EAP's team wasn't that.
And what setup is that, I'm curious?

Here he has Bebeto on his side and Helguera between him and Klinsmann plus Frank de Boers for support. I don't see a better platform for him to shine.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Yes, he isn't a Godín-style stopper, that's true. However, what made Boateng valuable for Bayern was his ability to win the ball quickly and cover large distances with his speed. His main strengths were his ability on the ball, his comfort in marking opposing players, his ability to step up and apply the pressure/win the ball, his heading, and his speed that helped him cover the distances. I'd have been okay with him had he just had to deal with Bebeto, but both Bebeto and Klinsi, especially Klinsi, and then there's Möller drifting around with one of Hierro and Baraja making late runs into the box as well...Boateng wouldn't really thrive in this sort of a setup. He'd thrive better in a setup where he can isolate attackers and close them down quickly, in a setup where he can have more of the ball than not, in a setup where he can make the most of his strengths, and EAP's team wasn't that.
This still sounds rather confusing to be honest. Boateng is essentially playing in a back three as a right centerback with two defensive midfielders in front of him and you make it sound as if he has to track 2 forwards and 2 midfielders by his own and won't be able to keep up.

You describe him as a complete defender (strength in marking players, stepping up and applying pressure to win the ball, heading and athleticism), who can do it all. Why would he struggle in any specific set-up?

I think you're not describing what Boateng can do, but more how Bayern played over the last few years and what role he had in that set-up. Defenders under Guardiola are truely difficult to assess and easily underrated or misjudged, but Boateng has shown in other defensive set-ups and roles as well that he can excel. It's one of the biggest reasons why I look forward to Ancelotti taking over. It'll give the defenders more traditional roles and it'll be a lot easier to rate them.

Annahnomoss

since we're winding down to the last hour, would love to hear from the rest of the managers/participants in the draft thread, or make their voting decisions :)

@Annahnomoss @BigDunc9 @KirkDuyt @Downcast @Balu @Gio @MJJ @KM

Think that would be everyone that has been involved so far.
Didn't see the alert. Was going to post but there isn't much to add here from what has already been said, looks like a well deserved draw for me. Bebeto and Klinsmann looks awesome even if it is the Inter Klinsmann but I also really like Edgars back five which makes up for it. Frank De Boer and Boateng are as good as it gets on the ball and the wing backs are perfect for the occasion as well and it is a strong role for Helguera too.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Didn't see the alert. Was going to post but there isn't much to add here from what has already been said, looks like a well deserved draw for me. Bebeto and Klinsmann looks awesome even if it is the Inter Klinsmann but I also really like Edgars back five which makes up for it. Frank De Boer and Boateng are as good as it gets on the ball and the wing backs are perfect for the occasion as well and it is a strong role for Helguera too.
welcome back. Now that it's over who would you have voted for?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
This still sounds rather confusing to be honest. Boateng is essentially playing in a back three as a right centerback with two defensive midfielders in front of him and you make it sound as if he has to track 2 forwards and 2 midfielders by his own and won't be able to keep up.

You describe him as a complete defender (strength in marking players, stepping up and applying pressure to win the ball, heading and athleticism), who can do it all. Why would he struggle in any specific set-up?

I think you're not describing what Boateng can do, but more how Bayern played over the last few years and what role he had in that set-up. Defenders under Guardiola are truely difficult to assess and easily underrated or misjudged, but Boateng has shown in other defensive set-ups and roles as well that he can excel. It's one of the biggest reasons why I look forward to Ancelotti taking over. It'll give the defenders more traditional roles and it'll be a lot easier to rate them.
Yeah, you're right. I was probably thinking too much about his time under Guardiola and forgot his great performances under Heynckes.

Honestly, I never wanted to say that EAP was weak defensively, so if it came out that way, then that's my mistake. My real point was that, since SkizzoPat had more ways to goal than EAP, they would eventually find their way through more often than EAP would.