Lamine Yamal | 16 Year Old Barca Wonderkid

Hoof the ball

Any resident Barca fans care to shed some light on this kid? Watched him in pre-season and he looks unreal for his age. Looked so good vs. Tottenham.

Zed is not dead

Another one in the long list of « La Masia wonder kid » such as Nico, Ilaix Moriba, Abde Ez, Riqui Puig, and so on

Ole'sgunnarwin

I watched him in the Euros this year. Scary potential, I'd be surprised if he's not one of the best in the world in a few years. He has everything and he's so good to watch. Plenty of tricks.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
That fake leading up to the Fati winner was pure magic!

Will be following his development.

Tough vid to watch sadly, absolutely horrendous level of defending for the first goal from 2 Spurs defenders (and feck me they’ll end up in a relegation battle in they insist on Dier again at CB) was like 30% of the video.
Some nice moves after that though, but nothing we haven’t seen from other young prospects. Looks like one to keep an eye on is all.

criticalanalysis

Tough vid to watch sadly, absolutely horrendous level of defending for the first goal from 2 Spurs defenders (and feck me they’ll end up in a relegation battle in they insist on Dier again at CB) was like 30% of the video.
Some nice moves after that though, but nothing we haven’t seen from other young prospects. Looks like one to keep an eye on is all.
Yeah same. Yamal did the right things, which is impressive but it was a suicidal high line from Spurs and a tiring defence.

izec

Watched him for the first time against Villarreal today. This guy is good. Potential is huge.

wr8_utd

:'(
Watched him for the first time against Villarreal today. This guy is good. Potential is huge.
Saw him for the first time vs Spurs in the Gamper match and he looked a superstar right there. He's been brilliant since then as well and now started two games in a row. He puts in those delightful chipped balls to the back post which the forwards have not done well enough with. Today, however, Gavi managed to score. He's not flashy but he's great at taking on his full back and putting in a great cross and he's also great at putting a shot in as we saw today. He's got unbelievable potential for a 16 year old kid and I believe he's already performing better than any of our right wingers. Just hope Barca don't run him into the ground like they've done with Pedri.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Indeed. And then another loan to the PL after that.
Yep needs to go slum it in at Luton and get two footed to prove he's ready for minutes with us. Honestly it might be one of my least favorite parts of our fanbase: for a group that claims they love youth products, everyone seems to have a load of qualifiers for when a player is actually ready to play for us instead of just watching them and realizing it is in fact possible for a teenager to be instantly better than some 25 year old veteran.

feck me Pedri would have been loaned out too. fecking Pedri!

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
Already better than Dembélé. In the end we should thank Dembélé for leaving.
If Injuries and his personal life are under control he could easily be a 100+ million player in no Time.
I'm praying Laporta doesn't bring Joao Félix.

wr8_utd

:'(
Yep needs to go slum it in at Luton and get two footed to prove he's ready for minutes with us. Honestly it might be one of my least favorite parts of our fanbase: for a group that claims they love youth products, everyone seems to have a load of qualifiers for when a player is actually ready to play for us instead of just watching them and realizing it is in fact possible for a teenager to be instantly better than some 25 year old veteran.

I think this is where Barcelona have gotten lucky with the limitations to their spending. They've always been pro-youth but not having the capability to splurge in the market and try and bring in replacements for players like Dembele when they lose them, has worked wonders for them.

Will be interesting to see what happens to Yamal once Raphinha returns from his suspension though because right now, there's no chance the former deserves to be benched.

DiMaria

You guys should also watch his U17 euro highlights. I heard his name before that tournament and saw some highlights but only got to really watch him then. Immediately you could tell that Barca have something very special on their hands. Didn’t think he would be starting so soon though. After all he was only 15 and playing against teenagers. But then after he came on to change the Spurs Joan Gamper game I thought maybeee we see him sooner than expected. After yesterday’s motm performance away to a tricky Villarreal side I have zero doubts that barring injury this kid will be a household name sooner rather than later and should/will be playing plenty of first team games this season.

RyRy11

He's done more things in one comp than I've seen Anthony do in a year and he's 16?

NotQuiteManc

First time saw him vs Spurs. Made the defense look like amateurs. Really a special talent.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
he’ll be mid-thirties in just a couple of decades. i know we’re lacking some creativity at times, but jesus, have our standards slipped that much?

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
How do we have a scouting department that says yeah 100 million for Antony when 16 years olds like this are about.

unreal talent
oh, so you’d willingly support a club that hired people,who when they saw a 16 year old boy, went “mmmm, now i’d spend some money on that!”?

Ole'sgunnarwin

100% agree. Kept hearing about Diallo, needs another year. He was on loan for at least a couple of years. It's hardly like we have a brilliant team that he can't get into.

I love when a 16/17 year old is given a chance. Brings a freshness and excitement to the rest of the team and the fans.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
There is always this chance when people spot these wonderkids that these kids might turn out to be the next Pele/Maradonna/Messi/Ronaldo etc etc etc
As others have said, its great seeing when these kids get a chance, the optimism and freshness is one of the things thast makes football compelling

SAFMUTD

I don't know what they do in la Macia but we need to copy it.

Valencia Shin Crosses

100% agree. Kept hearing about Diallo, needs another year. He was on loan for at least a couple of years. It's hardly like we have a brilliant team that he can't get into.

I love when a 16/17 year old is given a chance. Brings a freshness and excitement to the rest of the team and the fans.
Yep, and it’s not just “having youth for the sake of it”, you’re genuinely just playing the best player regardless of who cost what or how much experience one guy has over another.

It’s why I’m annoyed at the Mainoo injury too, as there was a real chance he’d be a significant contributor for us

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Certainly looks a real talent. Like a better version of Raphina except he’s 16 ffs.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
There is always this chance when people spot these wonderkids that these kids might turn out to be the next Pele/Maradonna/Messi/Ronaldo etc etc etc
As others have said, its great seeing when these kids get a chance, the optimism and freshness is one of the things thast makes football compelling
Yeah, a very very very slim chance given how few have reached those levels over the last 60-70 years.