LASK v United - will be played behind closed doors

Lynty

I'm certain we'll see the season cancelled or the last few games played behind closed doors.

From a PR perspective, if this virus spikes and cripples the NHS, people will immediately ask why large gatherings wasn't cancelled - the most visible of which is the EPL.

Whether or not cancelling the league has any scientific benefit, won't be considered. Boris will want to show that he took serious action to delay the spread, as this incident could very well be the legacy he's remembered by.

philipos

I was due to go to the match but have not had any communication from the club yet. Not good enough.

stepic

meant to be travelling to Manchester for the second leg. hope it still goes ahead with a crowd :nervous:

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
So the away fans for the reverse fixture should also be banned ? It will have to be banned else how are we ensuring it works both ways ?

pacifictheme

Why am I seeing this question everywhere? Is this the first time people are experiencing any professional match being played behind closed doors?
Slightly different to a bunch of racists but i would imagine it will be.

OleBoiii

Poor LASK.

If Jones is on the bench, they'll get to hear his heavy breathing.

Josep Dowling

The overreaction to Coronavirus is getting beyond a joke. Do they just want the entire world to stop for a month?

We are being told one thing by the media yet my flights to Madrid haven’t been cancelled because the Foreign Office haven’t banned travel there. How is that right when schools are closed etc?

Surely they should recommend people over a certain age or with known illnesses not to travel rather than quarantining entire nations.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
The overreaction to Coronavirus is getting beyond a joke. Do they just want the entire world to stop for a month?

We are being told one thing by the media yet my flights to Madrid haven’t been cancelled because the Foreign Office haven’t banned travel there. How is that right when schools are closed etc?

Surely they should recommend people over a certain age or with known illnesses not to travel rather than quarantining entire nations.
Too much like common sense, without paying too much attention to it those that are dying WW were already half-dead and it was only a matter of time, or those more susceptible to contact the virus that the average person.

TrustInOle

Considering the amount of cases in madrid youd think the uk would ban flights in and out of there
This! It doesn't take alot of common sense to realise that pathogens, Viruses and other such despicable diseases transmit from country to country and continent to continent through air traffic.

mu4c_20le

Instead of playing behind closed doors or cancelling sporting events altogether, they should play at a neutral venue. I heard the virus doesn't do well in hot and dry climates, so why not move the matches to Dubai and Qatar for now. It'd be like hosting a world cup for them.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Instead of playing behind closed doors or cancelling sporting events altogether, they should play at a neutral venue. I heard the virus doesn't do well in hot and dry climates, so why not move the matches to Dubai and Qatar for now. It'd be like hosting a world cup for them.
What you have heard is a lie (albeit repeated by certain president of a very large North American country). There's no evidence whatsoever that COVID-19 is seasonal. Influenza (flu) virus has some seasonality but that doesn't mean, at all, that the same is true for "Corona virus".

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...virus-covid-19-in-warmer-spring-temperatures/

Containing the spread of virus is the only weapon we currently have to prevent the overwhelming of the healthcare systems in the way it happened it Italy. They are not even able to attend anybody over 60 yo, at this point, in Italy. It's a horror show there, and largely because they were too slow and too careless. We currently don't know enough to stop COVID-19 so the only thing we can do is - slow down its spread so that healthcare systems can cope with it and people can get medical treatment as they need it.

Shutting down any large gatherings and limiting all unnecessary travel is absolutely a responsible thing to do. Anybody not doing it is being naive, ignorant, and highly irresponsible.

No sporting event is worth human lives.

choccy77

I'm glad to see this (given the relative context of the situation). I think it's the right thing to do.

Great to see other Governments actually acting now and doing something to help protect Healthcare systems and their own citizens.

Hopefully the UK Government will soon be forced to follow suit and actually make some moves to protect it's own already struggling Healthcare system.

True but people's lives are more important.

Far more important.

Lies, if so, the UK would be on a full 2 week lockdown to minimise potential spread, however, supermarkets, transport chiefs and more with power, only concerned about their profits.

Paul_Scholes18

It is crazy how one Virus can totally change one continent fully like this.
Not even a crazy deadly virus at least not from what I have heard.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
It is crazy how one Virus can totally change one continent fully like this.
Not even a crazy deadly virus at least not from what I have heard.
Depends what you call "crazy". It seems to be significantly higher than that of Influenza (flu). But the problem is not just mortality rate, the problem is: how quickly it spreads and how long patients are sick / infectious. Depending on these numbers, if most people in the world get it, then even 2-3% death rate means 100M deaths worldwide. That's a major catastrophe, obviously.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
This! It doesn't take alot of common sense to realise that pathogens, Viruses and other such despicable diseases transmit from country to country and continent to continent through air traffic.
They won't want to ground flights in case the economic cost of being inactive ruins some of the smaller airlines. The financial ripple effect of this virus is going to be enormous.

TrustInOle

They won't want to ground flights in case the economic cost of being inactive ruins some of the smaller airlines. The financial ripple effect of this virus is going to be enormous.
Agreed, the moment we invented air travel, these sorts of Viruses would always theive. Seen a stat that shows the levels of increase in pathogens transferring continents since air travel. Unfortunately we are past the point of this changing. Listen to the scientists and medical experts is our only go to.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Agreed, the moment we invented air travel, these sorts of Viruses would always theive. Seen a stat that shows the levels of increase in pathogens transferring continents since air travel. Unfortunately we are past the point of this changing. Listen to the scientists and medical experts is our only go to.
Even before air travel really, look at how fast the Black Death spread through Europe just via ships. Of course they didn’t know what was causing the spread of it, but it didn’t take long once it took hold.

TrustInOle

Even before air travel really, look at how fast the Black Death spread through Europe just via ships. Of course they didn’t know what was causing the spread of it, but it didn’t take long once it took hold.
Agreed. Human comfort and convenience will eventually lead to our downfall. At least when this thing happened to our ancestors it would take out a roaming tribe, not thousands or even millions across the globe.

Suvvernmanc

Surely there will just be a massive crowd outside the stadium.? Not sure you can stop a crowd from gathering.

Eire Red United

Too much like common sense, without paying too much attention to it those that are dying WW were already half-dead and it was only a matter of time, or those more susceptible to contact the virus that the average person.
Yeah that’s grand, if I get it sure I’ll live, but my 80 year old granny with respiratory issues and the fella down the road with the weak immune system will die, they don’t matter....

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Very harsh on them if so, because there’s no way the UK will be enforcing this any time soon - making it an unfair tie

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I think the UK will be enforcing it very soon if the numbers infected keep increasing like they are.
Really? Because we’ve done absolutely feck all compared to other countries at this stage. Anyway let’s not make this a coronavirus thread - but we don’t seem to be taking it as seriously. Certainly won’t happen by the return leg imo

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Feel sorry for the kid on here who said that he’d been waiting years to see Utd in his town then couldn’t get a ticket.

Now it’s behind closed doors. The irony:(

United58

Feel sorry for the kid on here who said that he’d been waiting years to see Utd in his town then couldn’t get a ticket.

Now it’s behind closed doors. The irony:(
Would have been even worse if he actually had got the ticket and found out he couldn't go. Hope he can enjoy it on TV at least :)

izec

Very harsh on them if so, because there’s no way the UK will be enforcing this any time soon - making it an unfair tie
It is unfair anyway. Dortmund played at home with a full crowd and PSG are now in an empty stadium. It is either behind closed doors currently or we just stop the games and leagues altogether. I think most would like to go on with the closed doors as long as possible.

klayton88

Shame, will be really drab to watch. But I look forward to hearing a lot of swearing from the staff and players while watching the match on my TV.

Bruno: "James pass the FKIN BALL"
James: "I didn't FKIN see you ya CNUT"
Bruno: "Get your FKIN head up innit!"
BT commentator: "Errr, we apologise for any colourful language you may have heard...again"

etc
I love it when a UFC fighter swears in a post fight interview and the little 'sorry for swearing' graphic pops up. I can happily watch a man try and beat another man nearly to death with his bare hands but i draw the line at a F bomb.

Sad Chris

I know it’s not the same, but I suggest offering them a friendly in Austria during the pre-season if it fits in with our plans. Would be a nice move for the die-hard United supporters in Austria. LASK could pocket the ticket sales. We show that we care about more than the bottom line.

Loon

:lol:
I think BT Sport should get somebody in who could replicate the sound of a crowd, like that dude from POLICE ACADEMY.