Late Dash For Ben Arfa?

Drifter

American
Man Utd, Liverpool make late move for Marseille rebel Ben Arfa
tribalfootball.com - August 25, 2010, 2:10 am

Manchester United and Liverpool are being linked with a late bid for Marseille firebrand Hatem Ben Arfa.

The Marseille playmaker has been offered a deal by Werder Bremen and a "top Premier League club" - which his agent Michel Ouazine indicated was not Newcastle United.

The Daily Mail says Ouazine declared the identity of the English team making a move would be a 'big surprise', with reports in France suggesting either Liverpool or Manchester United would be the ones making the bid.

Sir Alex Ferguson is believed to be a long-term admirer of the 23-year-old, who has also been offered to Everton and other Premier League teams this summer.

"Negotiations are continuing," said Ouazine. "We are finalising the contract."

Ben Arfa comes with issues. He is currently refusing to play for Marseille in a bid to force a move and is training alone away from his employers.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Liverpool would make sense. They're crying out for a good winger.

Mainoldo

Would love him here.. could turn out to be a great playmaker.. We'll see what happens

cj_sparky

Obertan, Nani, Park, Valencia, Giggs, Cleverly and Bebe (possibly). Boy are we crying out for a winger, right about now.

redfromcanada

After the signings of Gignac and Remy by OM, I decided to go on OM's website and immediately thought of Ben Arfa's future destination. I know that he is a gamble to be sure but is very talented and prefers to play on the left. This would be beneficial as it would allow Nani to play on the right, where he is better, IMO. This all depends upon what SAF's plans are for Obertan this season and how much OM is asking for Ben Arfa.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
We had all this shit with this player back in January and nothing came of it then, bs this time around as well IMO

Lance Uppercut

Man Utd, Liverpool make late move for Marseille rebel Ben Arfa
tribalfootball.com - August 25, 2010, 2:10 am

Manchester United and Liverpool are being linked with a late bid for Marseille firebrand Hatem Ben Arfa.

The Marseille playmaker has been offered a deal by Werder Bremen and a "top Premier League club" - which his agent Michel Ouazine indicated was not Newcastle United.

The Daily Mail says Ouazine declared the identity of the English team making a move would be a 'big surprise', with reports in France suggesting either Liverpool or Manchester United would be the ones making the bid.

Sir Alex Ferguson is believed to be a long-term admirer of the 23-year-old, who has also been offered to Everton and other Premier League teams this summer.

"Negotiations are continuing," said Ouazine. "We are finalising the contract."

Ben Arfa comes with issues. He is currently refusing to play for Marseille in a bid to force a move and is training alone away from his employers.
What gave it away?

french88devil

His agent said that he was trying to make it happen in time so that HBA is able to play on saturday with his new team. It won't be Liverpool then. I hope he's talking about Arsenal, i don't want that arrogant little prick to play for United, he's only gonna bring us some trouble.

davisjw

His agent said that he was trying to make it happen in time so that HBA is able to play on saturday with his new team. It won't be Liverpool then. I hope he's talking about Arsenal, i don't want that arrogant little prick to play for United, he's only gonna bring us some trouble.
Wenger would make him into a world class star - prefer him to burn under Liverpool's ownership.

Ringo 07

Yeah I think once he finds the right club he will thrive like Cantona did. He is a feckin unbelievable player and those that dont rate him - dont rate him as they hear that he doesnt always get a game Marseille so he must not be that good. I doubt there is any truth that Fergie is interested though with the amount of quality young players we have coming through. Cleverly looks like he might just be the one to replace the divine ginger ninja!!

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He shouldn't be compared to Cantona.Cantona was crazy but in the good sense, he was a fighter and despite what happens off the pitch you would see a commited player on the pitch (yes before he joined United).
Ben Arfa is completely different, when he plays matches it's as if he's disconnected sometimes.Like he doesn't care if his team is playing well or not, it has to be about him and his dribbling.
Just because SAF managed to channel Cantona doesn't mean he could do the same with Ben Arfa.By saying that, I don't mean that SAF couldn't do it but sometimes there are players who aren't worth the trouble.
There isn't a big queue of clubs fighting for his signing whereas he's up for grabs on the cheap right now, surely that's telling something

Brophs

The One and Only
So basically his agent can name the team no one gives a feck about, but not the one he's trying to use to leverage a larger/other offer for him.

Booooooolsheeeeeeet.

Mojo_pin

if anyone can make a player feel wanted and appreciated, it's Sir Alex. 100% certain he would sort him out..

Maroon Lucifer

Werder Bremen sporting director Klaus Allofs says they will not be buying Hatem Ben Arfa. "We don't have means for such a player."

Mojo_pin

we don't need him. and i'm sure we wont sign him. but if he did, where else could a player develop both as a player and as a person? the infrastructure is second to none.

dunno about mcgrath. way before my time. wasnt he already up there in age and a raging sudaholic?

Georgie Best

If I had to choose between sleeping with Miss Worl
In Ben Arfa’s defense; one needs to add that after Didier Deschamps took control at the Stade Vélodrome he was put straight on the bench, he was rotated last season and turned into a fringe player. And to be a fringe player at Marseille and being a fringe player at a “giant” such as Barcelona or Manchester United are two very different things.

Hatem Ben Arfa, is not, and should not be happy with being a fringe player at Marseille. He went to Marseille from Lyon for the sole purpose of not being a fringe player at Lyon. Ben Arfa’s talents is rare, he is a left footed left winger, he has a good left foot too, as well as technique and pace. In the right club he can do a impact, that is important for his chances at the French national team, and for his own career. On top of the fact that he was a lot at the bench last season, Marseille has just signed the attackers; Kone, Ayew, Samassa, Gignac and Remy, as well as N'Diaye at the midfield, and as Ben Arfa was a lot at the bench last season he suddently got a lot more competition, and there are even harder to get back into the team now.

Didier Deschamps tactic of choice was 4-3-3 last season, and at Monaco so he is probably sticking to it. Ben Arfa is probably more suited for a club with a 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 roles. He is in the age where his development is at the highest, he needs to play. He needs to leave, his methods can be debated as ok or not. But there is a huge difference between his strike at Marseille and Mascherano’s current strike at Liverpool, because at least Mascherano is a first team choice. Something a man with Hatem Ben Arfa’s talents needs to be, if he is supposed to be at a French club. I personally can support his strike because Marseille – has indeed not threaded him very well either. The clubs owe their players more than just a paycheck IMO. So is it bad attitude? Or just attitude? Because to have attitude in itself is a good thing.

Personally I would love it if he signed, because I don’t think our winger coverage is that strong, I think it is our squad’s weakest link to be honest. The main job of a winger is to position himself in a way that stretches the opponents defense, Giggs used to be amazing at that, but he does not have the pace anymore – and we are better suited using him central as a playmaker, Park can play left and right midfield, but I am not sure he is a winger. Ee is all over the place stretching the defense is not his best side. Flair, pace, decent crosses and being left footed are advantages when you are playing at he left wing, we don’t have any left footed wingers… There are 70 matches if we go to distance in FA cup, League cup and in Europe, Nani and Valencia can’t play them all, it is hard for Nani, Valencia and Obertan to play them all, Ben Arfa would strengthen our squad.

But I am 99% certain that it won’t happen. Ben Arfa would be a good addition to almost any Premier League club, so just because the agent said there was a Premier League club involved can mean a lot. Unless we get him really cheap or at some loan deal, this won’t happen. But I am sure there are plenty of clubs eager to take the services of Ben Arfa. At one point or another; Newcastle, Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea and now Liverpool as well as ourselves has been linked to him, so he might end up in England.

kouroux

Hatem Ben Arfa, is not, and should not be happy with being a fringe player at Marseille. He went to Marseille from Lyon for the sole purpose of not being a fringe player at Lyon. Ben Arfa’s talents is rare, he is a left footed left winger, he has a good left foot too, as well as technique and pace. In the right club he can do a impact, that is important for his chances at the French national team, and for his own career. On top of the fact that he was a lot at the bench last season, Marseille has just signed the attackers; Kone, Ayew, Samassa, Gignac and Remy, as well as N'Diaye at the midfield, and as Ben Arfa was a lot at the bench last season he suddently got a lot more competition, and there are even harder to get back into the team now.
He should never be happy to be a fringe player but when given the chance to perform does he ever take it ? It's not with Deschamps that he's had problem, there was also Alain Perrin at Lyon and Gerets at Marseille.With all 3 coaches his status has never beaten "fringe or sub player".
Yes I agree with the way he was treated was harsh (you're allowed to go but hey we're losing Niang so now you have to stay) but if he has himself to blame for never being a valuable player for Marseille.

Georgie Best

If I had to choose between sleeping with Miss Worl
He should never be happy to be a fringe player but when given the chance to perform does he ever take it ? It's not with Deschamps that he's had problem, there was also Alain Perrin at Lyon and Gerets at Marseille.With all 3 coaches his status has never beaten "fringe or sub player".
Yes I agree with the way he was treated was harsh (you're allowed to go but hey we're losing Niang so now you have to stay) but if he has himself to blame for never being a valuable player for Marseille.
Well that is fine. I can't really answer as I don't watch enough French football. Ben Arfa is a good player, and at the right club, I am sure he can do a great job.

But if he play so bad, as you claim - why does Marseille insist to keep him at any price then? Just sell him asap, and as a left winger, that cannot be difficult. It seems to me, that Deschamps aims to keep him as utility.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Not unless he's some sort of cereal killer or rapist?? No. Cantona was no saint in France either..
When have we ever bought a player so lacking in motivation?

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
If Ben Arfa is being linked with Newcastle then I don't want him and he is not that good anyways. So we are fine. If we can get him for a free then he is fine otherwise we don't need him.

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
Not saying that Ben Arfa is a bad player, but seriously we have Obertan and I think players like Obertan have a better attitude, Ben Arfa 3 years ago had the potential to become a new Ronaldo but with his shit attitude, he still hasn't stepped up and done it consistently yet...

He seriously needs the right coach with the right faith in him.

kouroux

Well that is fine. I can't really answer as I don't watch enough French football. Ben Arfa is a good player, and at the right club, I am sure he can do a great job.

But if he play so bad, as you claim - why does Marseille insist to keep him at any price then? Just sell him asap, and as a left winger, that cannot be difficult. It seems to me, that Deschamps aims to keep him as utility.
Do they :lol: ?
The guy has directly insulted his coach and president Dassier, telling immature things about them.What brought those insults are their faults tbh but still you just can't insult people like that.
They wanted to get rid of him because they were sure Niang was not leaving but since that was done, they had to keep him otherwise they would lose depth in the attacking front.
Once they've found a way to sign Remy and Gignac and that HBA came up with his usual childish episode they're willing to get him out of there ASAP.I'm not inventing anything, Dassier said it himself

Mainoldo

When have we ever bought a player so lacking in motivation?
We brought Obertan last season you joker.. Micheal Owen was on the road to nowhere too. Plus the guy does not lack motivation he just lacks consistancy.