Laurence Fox feat. Elvis

Boycott

Politics of the extremely online is a plague.

I see little clips here and there and I'm left wondering am I living in a different world from these people.

All this bullshit about a culture war. What war? Who are the soldiers? Some incels who never leave their keyboards.

I turn off the internet, go outside, and the vast majority of people is following the Covid-19 guidelines ... whether they like it or not. The vast majority are respectful and mindful of others in public places whether they are like that in private or not. The vast majority just want to live and let live.

fergieisold

Politics of the extremely online is a plague.

I see little clips here and there and I'm left wondering am I living in a different world from these people.

All this bullshit about a culture war. What war? Who are the soldiers? Some incels who never leave their keyboards.

I turn off the internet, go outside, and the vast majority of people is following the Covid-19 guidelines ... whether they like it or not. The vast majority are respectful and mindful of others in public places whether they are like that in private or not. The vast majority just want to live and let live.
I think this is it. I’m trying to cut down my social media time because I don’t think we’re adapted to such an information overload. Every opinion that can possibly exist is presented...and the extremes end up arguing the loudest against each other.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The majority might want to "live and let live" because they're not affected by racism, surely? That's the only reason I can think why someone's response to hearing about racism would be "oh, let's just get on with our lives". If we all get on with our lives then some people are going on with a life where they experience racism, because it's being waved away.

When all people are equal maybe when can live and let live. Until then it DOES need to be spoken about. It's not the only topic of discussion going on in the world but you'd think it was based on the amount of backlash it gets.

I think this is it. I’m trying to cut down my social media time because I don’t think we’re adapted to such an information overload. Every opinion that can possibly exist is presented...and the extremes end up arguing the loudest against each other.
I read (consumed info) the other day that said we process more information in one day, than the average man did in a lifetime in the year 1600 (can’t remember the exact year), but you see the point.

it really is info overload.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Its the strangest thing to start a party over. While I agree with some of his points...its just odd. Racism is shit but I tend to think it isn’t helpful that it’s constantly put on the agenda in everyday life as if normal non racist people really need to be going about their lives everyday thinking racism is everywhere. I’d prefer education from a young age and calling out obvious racism. going searching for it constantly just puts people on edge. It certainly fecks with my head to the point where sometimes my first thought upon meeting a black person is ‘right, what do I need to pay attention to to not be racist.’ it’s painfully unproductive.
I'm sure the irony in this statement is lost on you.

Black people & other minorities do have to live life in a constant state of self-awareness when it comes to racism - so you having to be conscious every now and then fecking with your head breaks my heart, it really does. Imagine the mental strain that we're put under? This is precisely the main point about white privilege.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Black people & other minorities do have to live life in a constant state of self-awareness when it comes to racism - so you having to be conscious every now and then fecking with your head breaks my heart, it really does. Imagine the mental strain that we're put under? This is precisely the main point about white privilege.
I'd be careful because the last time this point was made to someone he got pissy and became the face of a political party.

Boycott

The majority might want to "live and let live" because they're not affected by racism, surely? That's the only reason I can think why someone's response to hearing about racism would be "oh, let's just get on with our lives". If we all get on with our lives then some people are going on with a life where they experience racism, because it's being waved away.

When all people are equal maybe when can live and let live. Until then it DOES need to be spoken about. It's not the only topic of discussion going on in the world but you'd think it was based on the amount of backlash it gets.
The public opinion polls show there is solidarity and popular support for BLM, fighting systemic racism, institutions restructuring and corporations putting money where their mouth is.

The dialogue is getting hijacked from the fringe of people whose space of influence is to mouth off on social media or make youtube videos. The news media are obsessed with twitter and amplify these voices bringing them legitimacy. That's what I mean by the extremely online. Get off twitter, stop taking your cues from there and then these attention seekers are starved of the oxygen they need to inflame.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The public opinion polls show there is solidarity and popular support for BLM, fighting systemic racism, institutions restructuring and corporations putting money where their mouth is.

The dialogue is getting hijacked from the fringe of people whose space of influence is to mouth off on social media or make youtube videos. The news media are obsessed with twitter and amplify these voices bringing them legitimacy. That's what I mean by the extremely online. Get off twitter, stop taking your cues from there and then these attention seekers are starved of the oxygen they need to inflame.
Sorry, misread your post.

fergieisold

When racism presents itself people should stand up and I’d hope that is what every normal decent person is doing. Unfortunately it is hard for decent white people to see it because clearly they aren’t subject to it. They should support efforts to rid society of it but I suspect it’s damaging to draw lines between white and black when (I could be naive) there’s a majority of the population that really do not care about racial differences.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Which only further proves the point :smirk:
What's "white privileged" about using your media contacts to get on every show under the sun because you're upset that someone said something you didn't want to hear? Or getting a million quid in funding for your political party that is built on the back of this situation? Or having an acting career even though you're horrendously underskilled for it in the first place?

....my brain hurts.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
When racism presents itself people should stand up and I’d hope that is what every normal decent person is doing. Unfortunately it is hard for decent white people to see it because clearly they aren’t subject to it. They should support efforts to rid society of it but I suspect it’s damaging to draw lines between white and black when (I could be naive) there’s a majority of the population that really do not care about racial differences.
The divide is artificial, though. Usually created by those loud voices who just want to shut down debate. I don't think anyone is saying "all white people are racist" when they call out white privilege. Part of the problem seems to be that many people are told about racism and their first thought is usually "how does this affect me?"

fergieisold

Tbf the live and let live in this context is nobody cares about people’s race. Maybe ‘don’t be a tw*t’ would be better

villain

Hates Beyoncé
The problem is that racism presents itself far more often than 'obvious' examples - the most damaging incidents of racism that i've personally been victim to were not the times where I was called insulting names based on race/stereotypes - all of that is sticks & stones as far as i'm concerned.

It's the far more subtle incidents of racism that yes, aren't in your face - but that's precisely the point, and if society doesn't want to confront that because it's uncomfortable and it risks exposing just how normalised racism is beyond what's obvious - then yes, there's going to be a point where black people & other minorities grow tired of having to live with it - because like I said, the mental strain of being hyper-aware of your race isn't normal, and is definitely a stressor.

What's "white privileged" about using your media contacts to get on every show under the sun because you're upset that someone said something you didn't want to hear? Or getting a million quid in funding for your political party that is built on the back of this situation? Or having an acting career even though you're horrendously underskilled for it in the first place?

....my brain hurts.
He's just a normal bloke who's saying it like it is

fergieisold

The divide is artificial, though. Usually created by those loud voices who just want to shut down debate. I don't think anyone is saying "all white people are racist" when they call out white privilege. Part of the problem seems to be that many people are told about racism and their first thought is usually "how does this affect me?"
That’s an awful thought to have. Mine is usually ‘can I think of any instances where I have personally seen it. I don’t care about me, I’ve certainly never been racially abused. I think my only memory of racism was within my uni friend group. The comments from a white guy was “yehhhh...but you’re not really black are you” to a Nigerian. Immediately this was like woahhhh wtf, don’t say that again. Even then people seemed to know what was crossing a line between banter and actual racism.

nimic

something nice
Scout
That’s an awful thought to have. Mine is usually ‘can I think of any instances where I have personally seen it. I don’t care about me, I’ve certainly never been racially abused. I think my only memory of racism was within my uni friend group. The comments from a white guy was “yehhhh...but you’re not really black are you” to a Nigerian. Immediately this was like woahhhh wtf, don’t say that again. Even then people seemed to know what was crossing a line between banter and actual racism.
That's... creative.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Tbf the live and let live in this context is nobody cares about people’s race. Maybe ‘don’t be a tw*t’ would be better
I'd go back to earlier though where nobody caring about race seems, at times to me anyway, exactly like when rich people say they don't care about money. They say they don't care about race because they don't know what some people from other races go through. But, also, a lot of people who say they don't care about race usually get annoyed when someone brings it up in the context of discussion racism. Sort of like "don't bring that noise to my peaceful village".

"Don't be a twat" is good, though. It should be lesson #1 taught in all schools.

Well... Not having a go, and internet chat is difficult to comprehend so imagine I'm playfully prodding your shoulder with the next bit. You're talking about how mentally draining you feel the discussion about racism is so, you kind of were making it about yourself.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
It's the far more subtle incidents of racism that yes, aren't in your face - but that's precisely the point, and if society doesn't want to confront that because it's uncomfortable and it risks exposing just how normalised racism is beyond what's obvious - then yes, there's going to be a point where black people & other minorities grow tired of having to live with it - because like I said, the mental strain of being hyper-aware of your race isn't normal, and is definitely a stressor.
I'm getting serious deja vu. Didn't we discuss this a couple of weeks back?

fergieisold

The problem is that racism presents itself far more often than 'obvious' examples - the most damaging incidents of racism that i've personally been victim to were not the times where I was called insulting names based on race/stereotypes - all of that is sticks & stones as far as i'm concerned.

He's just a normal bloke who's saying it like it is
That sucks. Some people are scum, I’m lucky to not see it within my friend group but honestly I’d be happy to get my skinny (slightly expanding) 5’8” Frame a smack for calling twats like that out.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I'm getting serious deja vu. Didn't we discuss this a couple of weeks back?
I'm sure we did, for some reason the message doesn't seem to stick on here to some posters. (not you !)

That sucks. Some people are scum, I’m lucky to not see it within my friend group but honestly I’d be happy to get my skinny (slightly expanding) 5’8” Frame a smack for calling twats like that out.
You're focusing on the wrong part of my message.

fergieisold

I'd go back to earlier though where nobody caring about race seems, at times to me anyway, exactly like when rich people say they don't care about money. They say they don't care about race because they don't know what some people from other races go through. But, also, a lot of people who say they don't care about race usually get annoyed when someone brings it up in the context of discussion racism. Sort of like "don't bring that noise to my peaceful village".

"Don't be a twat" is good, though. It should be lesson #1 taught in all schools.

Well... Not having a go, and internet chat is difficult to comprehend so imagine I'm playfully prodding your shoulder with the next bit. You're talking about how mentally draining you feel the discussion about racism is so, you kind of were making it about yourself.
I disagree I’m making it about myself but it is mentally draining. Yes I know that’s ironic :wenger:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I disagree I’m making it about myself but it is mentally draining. Yes I know that’s ironic :wenger:
:lol: wasn't having a go at you personally.

I'm sure we did, for some reason the message doesn't seem to stick on here to some posters. (not you !)

You're focusing on the wrong part of my message.
You should get your mates in the media to let you go on their TV shows and then start a political party.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
The worry is that the attention his type of self-clowning attracts allows cover for the real right wing Tory-pig feckery .

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Must be easy to just say random shit without having to out any thought into it.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
A man can't even speak English without some English person telling us Anglo-Saxons to change how we talk, right folks?

RedTiger

Half mast
I agree wholeheartedly. Why should the rest of the world get to use English as a Lingua Franca for FREE?!
The rest of the world needs to pay a monthly subscription fee for use of the language, otherwise they can go and use their own.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
That’s actually a dog teaching a woman to take a hit on a crack pipe