Laurence Fox feat. Elvis

Fingeredmouse

He always looks like a junkie who has been a guest on a Channel 5 makeover show sponsored by Primark.
He looks like the Lion from The Wizard of Oz, shaved and recovering from crack addiction, shot through a branch of River Island from a cannon.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
It means you are aware if other people’s feelings basically.
To some... to others it means being a smug prick about it and choosing who's feelings are worth more.

It's a fairly weaponised term rendering it perfect for somebody like fox who wants to chip off enough people to fund his ranting

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I still don't know the meaning of woke.
I think it's taken on a wider meaning than what it meant in the 40's and what it means atm. And how people from different persceptives perceive it.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
To some... to others it means being a smug prick about it and choosing who's feelings are worth more.

It's a fairly weaponised term rendering it perfect for somebody like fox who wants to chip off enough people to fund his ranting
Yes that’s what some would say, in the same way that ‘do gooder’ and ‘liberal’ are bizarrely pejoratives. Oh such insults!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

“Choosing who’s feelings are worth more” in regards to “woke” generally means someone’s “freedom of speech” and “civil liberties” being “restricted” when they are asked not to be racist, sexist, classist, ageist, anti-LGBQT+, anti-religion, anti-disability etc etc

In reality nobody’s “freedom of speech” and/or “civil liberties” are being restricted. People are generally free to say what they want and generally do and are often given a national platform to do so. The repercussions of that is other people being critical of their narrow minded positions. Their answer to those people is to throw around the term “woke”. It’s a extremely infantile behaviour.

The ironic thing is that a large majority of these people identify themselves as libertarians and believe that means everyone should be allowed to do and say as they please. Cancel culture is entirely libertarian in nature, it’s the free market deciding what is acceptable and what isn’t.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
“Choosing who’s feelings are worth more” in regards to “woke” generally means someone’s “freedom of speech” and “civil liberties” being “restricted” when they are asked not to be racist, sexist, classist, ageist, anti-LGBQT+, anti-religion, anti-disability etc etc

In reality nobody’s “freedom of speech” and/or “civil liberties” are being restricted. People are generally free to say what they want and generally do and are often given a national platform to do so. The repercussions of that is other people being critical of their narrow minded positions. Their answer to those people is to throw around the term “woke”. It’s a extremely infantile behaviour.

The ironic thing is that a large majority of these people identify themselves as libertarians and believe that means everyone should be allowed to do and say as they please. Cancel culture is entirely libertarian in nature, it’s the free market deciding what is acceptable and what isn’t.
The meaning of the term woke took on additional connotations, in the context of the 21st-century culture wars over incipient social norms.[42] According to linguist and social critic John McWhorter, woke has come to function similar to politically correct,[43]

Linguist Ben Zimmer writes that with mainstream currency, the term's "original grounding in African-American political consciousness has been obscured".[12] Journalist Amanda Hess says social media accelerated the word's cultural appropriation,[16] writing, "The conundrum is built in. When white people aspire to get points for consciousness, they walk right into the cross hairs between allyship and appropriation."[1][16] Writer and activist Chloé Valdary has stated that the concept of being woke is a "double-edged sword" that can "alert people to systemic injustice" while also being "an aggressive, performative take on progressive politics that only makes things worse."[8]

Social justice scholars Tehama Lopez Bunyasi and Candis Watts Smith, in their 2019 book Stay Woke: A People's Guide to Making All Black Lives Matter, argue against what they term as "Woker-than-Thou-itis: Striving to be educated around issues of social justice is laudable and moral, but striving to be recognized by others as a woke individual is self-serving and misguided."[44][45][46]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woke

Yeah its basically becoming a trigger word to start a culture war where people rehash the old political correctness debates via social media but with more vitriol and added # ...

villain

Hates Beyoncé
It became popularised by black Americans, and peaked on social media in the last decade, as a means to raise awareness on certain issues or as a means of warning against situations or particular people for example.
Since then it's been gentrified and appropriated mostly by the very people who it was intended to warn against, and has lost all original & intended meaning to the point where anyone who still uses it, is probably someone not to take seriously.

decorativeed

The people who would apply the term as an insult would previously have used the word 'dogooder'. Tells you all you need to know about them, that they can only view giving a shit about anything other than yourself and those like you as contemptuous.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Having empathy.

He's not really thought that one through has he?
It's not just having empathy. They think "woke" means "pretending to have empathy" because none of them can believe that actually caring about something other than yourself is possible.

decorativeed

It's not just having empathy. They think "woke" means "pretending to have empathy" because none of them can believe that actually caring about something other than yourself is possible.
That's a bit harsh, I mean they really care about those statues of slave traders.

decorativeed

We can’t rewrite history though, even though that’s literally what history is about.
Me and my wife both work in heritage/museums and their line of reasoning (if you can call it that) pisses us off no end. "They're trying to erase our history!" No, we're trying to tell you more about it, so people understand the reality of it, it's just that you don't like how it diverges from your personal ideal of history.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Me and my wife both work in heritage/museums and their line of reasoning (if you can call it that) pisses us off no end. "They're trying to erase our history!" No, we're trying to tell you more about it, so people understand the reality of it, it's just that you don't like how it diverges from your personal ideal of history.
I’ve often found people who use that argument don’t have a clue about history anyway. Keep up the good work!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I learned more about Edward Colston and the British slave trade after that statue came down than I'd ever done before it, and I used to walk past the statue on a daily basis to go to work :lol:

decorativeed

I learned more about Edward Colston and the British slave trade after that statue came down than I'd ever done before it, and I used to walk past the statue on a daily basis to go to work :lol:
I went to Bristol back in 2019 and walked past the statue, and down the streets named after him and knew nothing about him. Now I know he was one of those good, Christian men who had no qualms about enriching himself by destroying the lives of others. The people who threw it in the river taught me that lesson, not a cast iron plaque.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Is he comparing himself to the Nazis? I mean, I appreciate that it saves us a job. But I can't help but feel this is a bit of an own goal.
I dont know but being called a white privileged male on question time is excatly how Nazi Germany started.

decorativeed

I dont know but being called a white privileged male on question time is excatly how Nazi Germany started.
The irony of this piece being printed in the Daily Mail, who were famously supportive of Nazi Germany is seemingly lost on Fox.

Ananke

Watching him on question time, the first time, I thought 'heh, ok some points have a bit of validity'. Rewatched, read a little about him, saw some tweets and opinions down the years. Realized he's just a cnut. I feel a bit stupid for not seeing it initially to be fair.

decorativeed

Watching him on question time, the first time, I thought 'heh, ok some points have a bit of validity'. Rewatched, read a little about him, saw some tweets and opinions down the years. Realized he's just a cnut. I feel a bit stupid for not seeing it initially to be fair.
To be fair, he's become more entrenched and extreme as he's realised it's a great way to be seen and get money.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It means you are aware if other people’s feelings basically.
Having empathy.

He's not really thought that one through has he?
I think it's taken on a wider meaning than what it meant in the 40's and what it means atm. And how people from different persceptives perceive it.
The people who would apply the term as an insult would previously have used the word 'dogooder'. Tells you all you need to know about them, that they can only view giving a shit about anything other than yourself and those like you as contemptuous.
Thanks.
You only have to look at the kind of people who use the term. I recently watched an interview with Josh Hawley and he must have used it at least 5 times.

nimic

something nice
Scout
These people who compare the woke left to the rise of Nazi's tend to be at best hard right, at worst far right. How many mass shootings have been carried out by right wing nuts compared to the woke left? Yet its not their ideology we should be worried about?
He's entering SelfAwarewolves territory. The Nazis largely came to power by fearmongering about the left's "anti-Western", "anti-Christian", "anti-family" stances - so he's not entirely wrong.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Talentless cnut who is desperate to stay relevant. Despise him.