League Cup 5th Round Draw | Bristol City V United | worth waiting for

Bwuk

Perfect. Another chance for McTominay and Tuanzebe to vet game time.

Elokobi

Its a complete farce. Not that I'm complaining mind but its very suspect that Us, City, West Ham and Chelsea were all kept apart.

They could have gone live on Youtube. The delay and nonsense really makes no sense.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
If all goes as expected that will be a semi final of death if ever I've seen one.

If this went ahead at 4pm nobody would give a shit. If they drag this out for another hour it'll be the most famous league cup 5th round draw since this one...

:lol: That's amazing.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Its a complete farce. Not that I'm complaining mind but its very suspect that Us, City, West Ham and Chelsea were all kept apart.
My thoughts exactly, after yet another 'draw' debacle it seems very strange that all the "big" clubs are kept apart.
Sponsors hoping for a pool of Chelsea, Arsenal, City & United in the SFs to boost profile / TV ratings I wonder...?

brian017

A cricketer and a rugby player doing the draw adds to the farce that this competition has been this year

Great draw for us, mind

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
All that waiting and they reveal it in a pre-recorded video? I don't understand why there was a delay then.
Twitter botched live stream even though there are 20 apps or sites they could have used instead

AshRK

Loving how many rival clowns are pissed at us getting Bristol. Love when we are hated.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
For once, you can’t blame the FA. This is the Football League.
I stand corrected. The Football League really have been a disaster since their big "EFL" re-brand, haven't they?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

They could have gone live on Youtube. The delay and nonsense really makes no sense.
Very very co-incidental! Can anyone work out the probability?

el3mel

The semi final of this competition gonna be crazy this season, with Chelsea, Arsenal, City and United all will most probably qualify.

Won't be easy to predict the winner.

Unmutual

How sus. The big teams kept apart, the minnows getting the biggest club in the world and there's a London derby to boot.

CM

How shady was all that? Still, I'll take it.

Paul_Scholes18

Very very co-incidental! Can anyone work out the probability?
22% for that. Still fairly likely though. If all 4 teams had got home fixtures though that would have been a bit suspect as that would be just over 1% chance.

Although if you look at it from a pure sponsor perspective. West Ham vs Arsenal London derby. Us vs Bristol is an underdog vs a big team. Leicester vs Man City a premier league underdog versus the mighty City. Chelsea. Bournemouth a bit dull though, but it gives high probability of 4 top teams in the semi finals.

If I had set up the fixtures purely based on what would give the best market value including potential semi finals I would have set it up very similar to the outcome. If you want the 4 best team not to play each other having Bristol vs Man United is the perfect game for drama with the underdog vs the historically biggest club. 1 London derby is a given as well so West Ham vs Chelsea/Arsenal. The last 2 fixtures are fairly equal though so they might actually have draw those fixtures ;). Although to reduce suspicion of corruption giving one of them home and the other away probably works best to make it seem more random.

MonkeysMagic

I don’t think anybody on the Cafe is in the least bit surprised Chel have another home draw, their ticket dept must have the pre-prints ready before each draw!

Paul_Scholes18

How shady was all that? Still, I'll take it.
Since LVG and Mourinho we have got so much better draws compared to before. Experts at bribes or just luck? Or is it all the effect of Woodword stepping up now on that side! Although to be fair our draws are not always the best in terms of market value though ;).

Paul_Scholes18

I don’t think anybody on the Cafe is in the least bit surprised Chel have another home draw, their ticket dept must have the pre-prints ready before each draw!
Last season they had only away games. Sometimes you are lucky. So far for us our last 6 draws is 3 home and 3 away which is totally average. Including the year before we got 5 home and 3 away in our last 8. For Chelsea the last is 3 home and 4 away so nothing unusual with that and they have more away than home draws during the last 3 seasons.

ZupZup

What will allocation at Ashton Gate be?
Think it depends... if they give us the whole Atyeo stand it could be around 4k which is the ideal scenario.

If they choose to give us less... they’ll miss out on some ticket sales as they’ll need to segregate in that stand. Really hoping they just give us the whole stand.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
22% for that. Still fairly likely though. If all 4 teams had got home fixtures though that would have been a bit suspect as that would be just over 1% chance.

Although if you look at it from a pure sponsor perspective. West Ham vs Arsenal London derby. Us vs Bristol is an underdog vs a big team. Leicester vs Man City a premier league underdog versus the mighty City. Chelsea. Bournemouth a bit dull though, but it gives high probability of 4 top teams in the semi finals.

If I had set up the fixtures purely based on what would give the best market value including potential semi finals I would have set it up very similar to the outcome. If you want the 4 best team not to play each other having Bristol vs Man United is the perfect game for drama with the underdog vs the historically biggest club. 1 London derby is a given as well so West Ham vs Chelsea/Arsenal. The last 2 fixtures are fairly equal though so they might actually have draw those fixtures ;). Although to reduce suspicion of corruption giving one of them home and the other away probably works best to make it seem more random.
22%.... how'd you get that?

Paul_Scholes18

22%.... how'd you get that?
4/7 chance to be drawn against one of the other 4 teams for team 1. Then 3/5 for the second as 2 team as you got 5 other teams to play and 3 of them are favorable. Then 2/3 for the third draw. The last 2 teams have to play against each other. Multiply all these odds and you get 22% for all this to happen.

Quite simple with the odds here since every team got 1/7 chance to play another team since it is totally random. Much more complicated with champions league draws since then you can't face teams from the same league and teams from the same group shifting all the odds and often making top teams from the top leagues more likely to face each other since you greatly reduce the odds.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
The semi final of this competition gonna be crazy this season, with Chelsea, Arsenal, City and United all will most probably qualify.

Won't be easy to predict the winner.
Think the semifinals will be played just after the super busy Christmas period.
It's gonna be demanding.

City - Bristol City

Supports
Bristol City
Think it depends... if they give us the whole Atyeo stand it could be around 4k which is the ideal scenario.

If they choose to give us less... they’ll miss out on some ticket sales as they’ll need to segregate in that stand. Really hoping they just give us the whole stand.
We are very likely to give you the whole Atyeo stand as we have recently ended the practice of sharing this stand between home and away fans.

For the vast majority of United fans Bristol City will be a new experience for you so you won't be too familiar with how run down our stadium was looking a few years ago. Since then it has had a bit of a revamp with two of the stands being completely rebuilt and although not up to Old Trafford standards, we are all pretty proud of the result which has also seen capacity rise from around 19k to a shade over 27k. The United game will be its first bona fide sell out.

To give a little background info about us, we are owned by a local businessman come good. Stephen Lansdown was one of the founder members of financial services giant Hargreaves Lansdown and having joined the board as a mere multi-millionaire (I believe he was worth under £100m at the time) he has now progressed to the ranks of billionaire. However, whilst he has bankrolled our losses in the past, he is keen to get the club in a position where we can fend for ourselves and as part of this paid for the stadium rebuild so we can finally start to take advantage of the corporate hospitality market.

As we haven't got a recent past in the Premier League, we don't have the benefit of parachute payments so we are unable to compete for the proven players at Championship level against the likes of Aston Villa or the like and have a stated policy of buying young players with resale value. In our first season in the Championship we bought Jonathan Kodjia from Angers in France and sold him a year later for £11-15m to Aston Villa. That fee and sell-on clauses for Albert Adomah and Yannick Bolasie have pretty much paid for our recruitment ever since.

We are quite a young team as a result with a lot of players looking to prove themselves. Given our billionaire backing it does enable us to finally get good value for our better players and we were able to resist Harry Redknapp's attempts to poach Joe Bryan and Aden Flint off us in the Summer whilst bringing in our own record signing, Famara Diedhiou, again from Angers - they appear to be to us what Southampton are to the bin dippers.

Whilst you will rightly be favourites, if you play the same team as faced Swansea we will feel we have a slight chance of progressing, after all, we have as many PL victories as Liverpool this season but we do have six games in hand on them :smirk:

Anything else you wish to know, just ask and I'll try to answer for you.

Reactions: Invictus

OohAahMartial

We are very likely to give you the whole Atyeo stand as we have recently ended the practice of sharing this stand between home and away fans.

For the vast majority of United fans Bristol City will be a new experience for you so you won't be too familiar with how run down our stadium was looking a few years ago. Since then it has had a bit of a revamp with two of the stands being completely rebuilt and although not up to Old Trafford standards, we are all pretty proud of the result which has also seen capacity rise from around 19k to a shade over 27k. The United game will be its first bona fide sell out.

To give a little background info about us, we are owned by a local businessman come good. Stephen Lansdown was one of the founder members of financial services giant Hargreaves Lansdown and having joined the board as a mere multi-millionaire (I believe he was worth under £100m at the time) he has now progressed to the ranks of billionaire. However, whilst he has bankrolled our losses in the past, he is keen to get the club in a position where we can fend for ourselves and as part of this paid for the stadium rebuild so we can finally start to take advantage of the corporate hospitality market.

As we haven't got a recent past in the Premier League, we don't have the benefit of parachute payments so we are unable to compete for the proven players at Championship level against the likes of Aston Villa or the like and have a stated policy of buying young players with resale value. In our first season in the Championship we bought Jonathan Kodjia from Angers in France and sold him a year later for £11-15m to Aston Villa. That fee and sell-on clauses for Albert Adomah and Yannick Bolasie have pretty much paid for our recruitment ever since.

We are quite a young team as a result with a lot of players looking to prove themselves. Given our billionaire backing it does enable us to finally get good value for our better players and we were able to resist Harry Redknapp's attempts to poach Joe Bryan and Aden Flint off us in the Summer whilst bringing in our own record signing, Famara Diedhiou, again from Angers - they appear to be to us what Southampton are to the bin dippers.

Whilst you will rightly be favourites, if you play the same team as faced Swansea we will feel we have a slight chance of progressing, after all, we have as many PL victories as Liverpool this season but we do have six games in hand on them :smirk:

Anything else you wish to know, just ask and I'll try to answer for you.
Welcome to the Caf! Hope you stick around on here and enjoy one of the best football forums around as well as some interesting Current Events and Entertainment forums. Thanks for sharing the insight into your club.

BenjaminP

I hope Lukaku Matic are given rest for an insignificant game like this.