g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

League Cup 5th Round Draw | Bristol City V United | worth waiting for

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
We are very likely to give you the whole Atyeo stand as we have recently ended the practice of sharing this stand between home and away fans.

For the vast majority of United fans Bristol City will be a new experience for you so you won't be too familiar with how run down our stadium was looking a few years ago. Since then it has had a bit of a revamp with two of the stands being completely rebuilt and although not up to Old Trafford standards, we are all pretty proud of the result which has also seen capacity rise from around 19k to a shade over 27k. The United game will be its first bona fide sell out.

To give a little background info about us, we are owned by a local businessman come good. Stephen Lansdown was one of the founder members of financial services giant Hargreaves Lansdown and having joined the board as a mere multi-millionaire (I believe he was worth under £100m at the time) he has now progressed to the ranks of billionaire. However, whilst he has bankrolled our losses in the past, he is keen to get the club in a position where we can fend for ourselves and as part of this paid for the stadium rebuild so we can finally start to take advantage of the corporate hospitality market.

As we haven't got a recent past in the Premier League, we don't have the benefit of parachute payments so we are unable to compete for the proven players at Championship level against the likes of Aston Villa or the like and have a stated policy of buying young players with resale value. In our first season in the Championship we bought Jonathan Kodjia from Angers in France and sold him a year later for £11-15m to Aston Villa. That fee and sell-on clauses for Albert Adomah and Yannick Bolasie have pretty much paid for our recruitment ever since.

We are quite a young team as a result with a lot of players looking to prove themselves. Given our billionaire backing it does enable us to finally get good value for our better players and we were able to resist Harry Redknapp's attempts to poach Joe Bryan and Aden Flint off us in the Summer whilst bringing in our own record signing, Famara Diedhiou, again from Angers - they appear to be to us what Southampton are to the bin dippers.

Whilst you will rightly be favourites, if you play the same team as faced Swansea we will feel we have a slight chance of progressing, after all, we have as many PL victories as Liverpool this season but we do have six games in hand on them :smirk:

Anything else you wish to know, just ask and I'll try to answer for you.
What's the chances of getting a home ticket for this? Will they go on general sale, or will it sell out to members first?

My mate wants to go. He's a very casual City fan, hasn't been to a game since he was a kid, and I'm obvs a United fan, so if we can get a ticket, I'd definitely go n'all. I'm not holding out hope though.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Happy with the draw? @Pexbo
Delighted mate, I’ll be trying for tickets but not holding out much hope, failing that we could organise a Caf meet up somewhere in Bristol?

Oyibo

What's the chances of getting a home ticket for this? Will they go on general sale, or will it sell out to members first?

My mate wants to go. He's a very casual City fan, hasn't been to a game since he was a kid, and I'm obvs a United fan, so if we can get a ticket, I'd definitely go n'all. I'm not holding out hope though.
You are best off steering clear of the home end. Bristol City are up there with Cardiff and Millwall, off the pitch.

They have been waiting for this for years.

Many years ago, like maybe 20, they went up to Liverpool away with 9,000 fans and took many liberties.

Do not be fooled by the accent, the songs about Cider !, or the lack of exposure to the top flight.

This lot are a right bunch of nutters, and I'd say there will be plenty of trouble given United's away following also.

Come on United !

AXVnee7

why are the semi's two legs, feckin pointless
Yeah I agree it’s unnecessary and only adds to what is a heavily congested schedule for us (should we progress).

On the other hand there’s a very good chance we’d be playing a top team. Given it’s a 2 legged game that’ll be played in the evening it’ll have a slight CL-esque feel (IMO anyway) which I think would be really nice to win.

markelphick

Chelsea love getting a home draw in these cup competitions, it's getting ridiculous, the draw yesterday must have been fixed or it's just pure coincidental that all the big teams missed eachother. The sooner this sponsorship ends the better it's been an absolute shambles from day one.

That being said I think it'll be a tricky draw away to Bristol City. Already knocked 3 Premiership sides out and doing well in the Championship.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
You are best off steering clear of the home end. Bristol City are up there with Cardiff and Millwall, off the pitch.

Many years ago, like maybe 20, they went up to Liverpool away with 9,000 fans and took many liberties.

Do not be fooled by the accent, the songs about Cider !, or the lack of exposure to the top flight.

This lot are a right bunch of nutters, and I'd say there will be plenty of trouble given United's away following also.

Come on United !
I've been to the Gate a few times since moving down here, we often get spares going at work. Been to some rowdy games, but it's always been good fun.

I'd wouldn't be as daft to cheer when United score, obvs.

I haven't been a United member for a while. I'd guess there's zero chance of getting an away for this?

City - Bristol City

Supports
Bristol City

This will be the first major cup tie we have had since the redevelopment that has seen our attendances grow fairly significantly as we aren't a club with a great cup tradition. There will be approximately 23k home tickets available and we have just short of 14k Season Card Holders so to begin with it can only be one per Season Card Holder.

Beyond that sales period the club is likely to give Forever Bristol members a priority sale period (this membership is offered free to season card holders of other teams within our owner's Bristol Sport group of clubs plus can be bought by fans unable to commit to a Season Card who wish to have priority for games like this and comes with a £5 discount per game).

I suspect after this the club will only sell to people already on the club's database (which is fairly sizeable given we have taken over 40k to Wembley/Cardiff over the years for various finals).

Come on United !
As with all clubs, if you can sit on your hands and show some respect to those around you, if you manage to get seats in a home stand you will often be fine even if we clock you as being an away fan. However, if you act like a dirty Leeds fan we have been known to throw them down the stairs of our main stand for celebrating a goal openly.

Last season, the first of being fully open after refurbishment, there was several occasions where away fans got in home areas by purchasing hospitality packages, and given we were playing quite s***, they often had reason to celebrate & having sunk a few jars did just that. If the stewards didn't act quick enough to eject, they did receive some terrace justice but this season I haven't been aware of any away fans around us (I generally sit in these hospitality seats as it hasn't been fully selling out and the seats are just left empty lol)

We do have our share of nutters who will look for stuff but I have travelled to around 60 grounds watching us and it doesn't feel to me like I support a Cardiff or a Millwall. Generally we can have a craic with away supporters at Ashton Gate, it's all about respect again. Show some and you'll be fine, give it large and someone will likely attempt to put you in your place.

We now have a "fan village" directly outside the stadium which thousands of home and away fans have been using before games. For the bigger away attendances the club have laid on extra bars and food outlets directly behind your stand.

Gonna have to leave this thread a while now though as I only have one reply left to give today, eek. I'll check back later

ZupZup

For the vast majority of United fans Bristol City will be a new experience for you so you won't be too familiar with how run down our stadium was looking a few years ago. Since then it has had a bit of a revamp with two of the stands being completely rebuilt and although not up to Old Trafford standards, we are all pretty proud of the result which has also seen capacity rise from around 19k to a shade over 27k. The United game will be its first bona fide sell out.
My last visit to Ashton Gate was 2000 for an old division two Bristol derby! I used to go and watch Rovers a fair a bit at the time as I was at University and they were my new local side. Would be great to see what the ground is like nowadays.

Really hoping I get a ticket in the ballot but I guess the allocation gives me a fair chance for this one. It's going to be massively popular with the United away following though.