Kick-off
Sun, 21 September 2014 @ 1:30pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 52 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Diggable_tai44

Which one of todays goals could he have saved then?
    Top keepers are supposed to pull off unexpected, spectacular game changing/ game saving stops. I rate him as a top keeper so it's not a case of thinking he isn't good enough. It's just when teams get through on goal ATM I don't expect a save from him.

LostNova

Defence was awful after the second goal. Smalling is atrocious under pressure and makes so many small mistakes like jumping for every ball even when a teammate goes for it.

Mata was another useless player today... So weak but he should never have been played the ball from Rojo and then for him to go galloping off is crazy. I think it's time for Shaw to be given a chance.

The referee was crap... It's like he makes
    Decisions just to piss Rooney off since he's always in his face.

All in all amazing first half display but incredible bad second half. A major chance dropped today to claim fourth with Liverpool and Tottenham losing. Only hope now is Everton lose and then will be back to square one.

Idxomer

Wait, he didn't even go for anything yet, that lump just stuck his butt out at him and fell over if you watch closely
    He raised his arm, even from this angle you can see it. Look it's not a penalty but Rafael should've been much more careful going to him considering how bad the referring was.

DavidDeSchmikes

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal: "I think the spectators have seen a fantastic spectacle today and we started well and scored fantastic goals. In second half, we scored another goal but you have to win the game and we didn't do that. We didn't keep ball possession in the right way.
    "We have too many players who want to seek for the goal. Leicester have already showed against Arsenal and Stoke that they can come back and they did it very well.
    "For the first penalty it is always the referee [who you talk about] but you don't have to do that as a player. You know you are in the penalty area and you allow the referee to whistle if you make a challenge, I don't know if it is a penalty but we have to look at ourselves because we made such big errors as a team.
    "I cannot say that I am happy. In the world of football, these matches happen. I was a coach at Barcelona in my first year and we were 3-0 ahead, with 15 minutes to play and we lost 3-4. It can happen, it is the world of football but it is not good because we have the game in our pocket and gave it away. Not because of Leicester, we gave it away and I don't like that.
    "You cannot say the defence was weak. You play like a team, Leicester showed that, we did not play like a team in the second half and that is not only defence. In a defensive situation the whole team is responsible, not just one defender."

REJE

He raised his arm, even from this angle you can see it. Look it's not a penalty but Rafael should've been much more careful going to him considering how bad the referring was.
    Careful? He DIDN'T TOUCH HIM!

Mali_Zeus

The biggest factor in that penalty was that it happened immedeiatly after not giving the foul on Rafael. Rafeal could have and should have been more careful.. He has this trait in losing posession,coneceding freekicks/penalty in unwanted situations.. (I am not defending Clattenberg)
    What the hell all that has to do with him being fouled before the pen and actually not fouling Vardy..

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
    Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal: "I think the spectators have seen a fantastic spectacle today and we started well and scored fantastic goals. In second half, we scored another goal but you have to win the game and we didn't do that. We didn't keep ball possession in the right way.
    "We have too many players who want to seek for the goal. Leicester have already showed against Arsenal and Stoke that they can come back and they did it very well.
    "For the first penalty it is always the referee [who you talk about] but you don't have to do that as a player. You know you are in the penalty area and you allow the referee to whistle if you make a challenge, I don't know if it is a penalty but we have to look at ourselves because we made such big errors as a team.
    "I cannot say that I am happy. In the world of football, these matches happen. I was a coach at Barcelona in my first year and we were 3-0 ahead, with 15 minutes to play and we lost 3-4. It can happen, it is the world of football but it is not good because we have the game in our pocket and gave it away. Not because of Leicester, we gave it away and I don't like that.
    "You cannot say the defence was weak. You play like a team, Leicester showed that, we did not play like a team in the second half and that is not only defence. In a defensive situation the whole team is responsible, not just one defender."
    very honest response.

Mali_Zeus

Christ, you're actually trying to tell me that there is no contact between the two players? Maybe you should quit drinking at noon.
    Maybe you should go back to the newbies where you belong obviously. Not every contact is a pen but you dont know that do you.
    There was no pen period.

DavidDeSchmikes

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal, speaking to Sky Sports: "How is it possible to give this game away? We have given the game away. Leicester has proven already in four games that they have a strong character and that when they are 3-1 down, you can play all the game with more possession but you cannot do these kind of things."
    On Tyler Blackett's sending off and the Jonny Evans injury: "It is not pleasant when players are injured or sent off but we can manage. I don't think it is the weakness of our defence, it is the weakness of our defensive organisation from the team. That we have to do better. You have to know when you can pass the ball and when you have to get rid of the ball. In this game, at 3-1 I felt we had played fantastic football but then you cannot make the errors we did.
    "We have to continue and improve. We created a lot of chances, we made fantastic goals so that is a plus but we lost the game and that is the most important thing."

Mali_Zeus

Everything.. If there was not foul on rafael, referee would not have blown for penalty.. Mostly he saw it as a challenge out of frustration by Rafael...
    :lol:
    So Clattenburg thought to himself in split second - oh yeah that's rafa, he is frustrated a lot and probably fouled him because he looses possesion a lot and his head too. So he gave a pen just because it was Rafa and he said to himself he must have made a foul..

I give up.

REJE

Everything.. If there was not foul on rafael, referee would not have blown for penalty.. Mostly he saw it as a challenge out of frustration by Rafael...
    Rafael didn't challenge him :lol: I could understand if he went in reckless but it was an obvious dive.

marlowe78

I'm not one to blame officials for our failings, but I knew after Rafael was whistled for the penalty that we were getting nothing from this game. The penalty was daft, Rafael was fouled right before and Vardy should've been either booked for simulation or Clattenburg at least wave play on and tell him to get up. We should've shown a lot more backbone than we did, but we were in control before that happened. De Laet also could've gotten a sending off but as long as the game was close were going to get feck all.

Very disappointing from Rooney in the leadership department. He was culpable for the goal that put Leicester ahead and then screams at everyone around him, although they share in the blame.

Defending is a shambles, we are still wide open to counterattack. Rojo was poor. We play too high of a line, especially knowing that Leicester are dangerous on the counterattack.

Yet another false dawn. I propose we start a thread listing all of van Gaal's 'feats' like we did for Moyes. I have faith that he'll turn things around for the long term but why shouldn't he be ridiculed in the same way. Second win in club history against United today, I think?

Cantona's Collar

That's the worst performance I've seen by a referee in the Premier League since the same numpty officiated in the Merseyside derby a few years back. Truly woeful. That penalty decision was absolutely shocking and De Laet should have been sent off way before he was able to influence the result in any way.

Having said that though the capitulation after the first penalty was insane. At 3-2 we're not only still in the game but in the lead and have the ability to cause them problems but we just let them rip us a new one. Granted, they shouldn't have been in the position where they could have come back at us if the ref does his job properly but it still doesn't excuse the tragic defending for their 3rd and 4th goals. Blackett put in a few decent tackles and had some good moments but even prior to his sending off I didn't think he was having a particularly good game. His positioning was abysmal at times, although it didn't help that Rojo continually left him completely exposed and he also had to contend with a partner of Jonny Evans in the worst form of his life for the first 30 minutes (seriously what the hell was he doing for their first goal? Rafael should have done better but Evans should have been picking up Ulloa in the centre of the box not our right back) and a completely ineffectual Chris Smalling for the remainder of the game.

I hope Rojo is a better CB than LB because that was a truly abject performance by him today. He was constantly out of position and his decision making was terrible. Shaw should have made an appearance in the second half with Rojo either coming off or replacing Blackett. On paper, in my opinion, our best back four is Rafael - Jones - Rojo (possibly, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt here) - Shaw. We haven't seen these start a game together yet so I'll lay off crucifying our defensive options just yet. Rooney had an OK first half but was completely anonymous for large periods of the second, he should have been hooked off for Mata or moved up front with RVP (who's slightly fortuitous goal masked another poor performance) coming off.

Such a frustrating game. P*ss poor officiating, mental fortitude bordering on non existant and some bizarre substitutions totally did us in today.

Swagawa

Referees aren't impartial, their minds are full of opinions and that clouds their judgement on these big decisions.

An impartial ref would have blown for a foul when Rafael was almost barged off the pitch or even called Vardy out for diving, but instead Clattenburg let the play continue and gave Leicester a cheap penalty.

It's time referees came out and explained their decisions thoroughly, especially when you consider the fact that players and managers are essentially forced to. If they don't, our respect for them will always be non-existent.

ChatBat

So some short notes:

Clattenburg absolutely killed us. Rafael and Blackett fouled in the build-up to us conceding penalties. Rafael didn't even commit a foul in the first place. That was a pure dive. De Laet should have been sent off. It's suffice to say that Clattenburg's decisions are the major reason for why this happened.

The other reason is LVG's strange substitutions. He's been making awful substitutions since day 1 but I never really wanted to make a note of it but this game was the pinnacle of it (so far).

RVP was having a total mare and while Falcao wasn't too great at least he wasn't killing our attacks like RVP. What does he do? He subs Falcao off and puts it Januzaj who CANNOT PLAY as a striker (or No. 10 btw for those of you who keep saying "he is our future no. 10").

Then he proceeds to sub Di Maria off and puts Mata as a midfielder. Mata! MATA! Let that sink in. He complains about Kagawa not being able to play to his needs and yet he puts Mata in who's more lightweight and does much less running than someone like Kagawa. Then of course Mata promptly shows the reason why he shouldn't be anywhere near that position.

Yes, I get it. Falcao was probably rusty and couldn't last the game. Take him off and move Rooney up front and Mata as No. 10.
    Or at the very least for the second substitution put Mata in as No. 10 and drop Rooney in the midfield. Rooney's lack of discipline won't help our cause true but he will definitely do a better job than Mata in there.

Levi1

Rafael barely touched him. Atkinson was feeling malicious and guessing that Rafael had hit back at him so wanted to penalize him. I cannot believe that we are STILL being subjected to Atrkinson's teerrible refereeing after all these years.

Also, de Laet showed how much he hates us. Shouldve been sent off in the first half already

R'hllor

Said last week after win vs QPR,we are away at least 6-8 weeks from clicking moment.We can all see importance of players like Vidic,at his best he would make that Verdy guy eat grass at least 4 times.How time passes team will look better and better,players will improve too.

Dé jonge god

Blackett had no positional awareness this game. Van Persie invisible again aside from his goal. United got intimidated by Leicester while being 1-3 up. Should've kept the ball moving around.

littlepeasoup

Rafael barely touched him. Atkinson was feeling malicious and guessing that Rafael had hit back at him so wanted to penalize him. I cannot believe that we are STILL being subjected to Atrkinson's teerrible refereeing after all these years.

Also, de Laet showed how much he hates us. Shouldve been sent off in the first half already
    How closely were you watching the game?!

Levi1

The gif shows vardy barging into RAfael! Again! Ive got to take a walk

walsh

Clattenburg is an absolutely useless prick who thinks he's big time and loves the limelight. Saying that, his pathetic display doesn't excuse our complete capitulation. I fecking hate football sometimes.

Anustart89

I didn't know every contact made in the penalty box was a penalty.
    Are you even reading the post? My post was in response to someone saying that there was no contact, ie the players didn't touch one another at all as the Leicester player went down. I've clearly said that the contact was there but manufactured by Vardy and that it was never a penalty. So stop being smug and start reading conversations before dipping in with smartarsey comments.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

4.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 506 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw