PL L FA Premier League

Leicester City 5:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 21 September 2014

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
What a bizarre Jekyll and Hyde performance. We were great for 55 minutes or so, then fell apart spectacularly in a way that just should not be happen.

I thought we ran out of steam - particularly Di Maria who was brilliant until 10 minutes before he departed, so was rightly substituted, but we look so utterly clueless defending the counter it's untrue.

Blackett is young - it can't all be put on him and he has looked like one of our more composed defenders, but defence is absolutely a very big problem. Evans, Smalling - sorry not United quality, never really have been in my opinion. Rojo made a big error for the first goal, but he deserves time to settle.

Rafael was a liability for me again - he's hotheaded and cannot be trusted. He spends too much time asking for fouls too. The penalty, whilst should never have been allowed to get to that point, was his fault. He'S asking for trouble by looking for revenge. Really idiotic.

I want to see Shaw in next week and Rojo moved to CB, but I think it's unlikely to solve our issues.

We need a quality CB and a leader who's name is not Rooney.

Siorac

It was one fecking decision, he didn't gift them the 3 goals after that. That loss was down to us having poor defenders and the lack of character that has been an issue for a couple of years.
De Laet should have gone for pulling di María back on a yellow.
The ball crossed the line before their first goal, the linesman should have spotted that as it was on his side.
Vardy fouled Blackett before their second penalty.
And of course there was that ridiculous first penalty.

Red Stone

Turns out we needed a defender or two more this summer after all.

Whodathunkit?

Oh, and Clattenburg delivered one of the most blatantly home-favoured performances of all time. De Laet and Vardy could've stabbed all of our players and most of our fans and still gotten off without a second look from him. Absolute joke.

Minimalist

Fragile players. That's all it is.

Rooney is a terrible captain and that doesn't help. That's the most I'll blame Van Gaal for, him choosing Rooney to lead our team.

Woodenlung

Nah biggest bottle job came from the players. When things start going against them they hide. I'm disgusted at them actually.

Anyone else see Rooney lashing the defence out of it when Cambiasso scored? I had a bit of a chuckle as it was his awful attempt at a clearance which led to it. He also played crap today. Hasn't impressed at all this season.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
We outdid Liverpool's collapse at Crystal Palace. Where is the resolve? I can't blame the ref, we had enough margin for error to win despite several bad decisions. The team could not maintain the lead, we had already won the game on 60 minutes in our minds and started dreaming about "our title challenge" only to start shipping goals the other way.

We had no answer for Leicester City's attack.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Players need to take some of the blame. Way too fragile mentally today.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Absolute horrendous performance from everyone on the pitch after the penalty that was not. How can you do that in the Premier League? Having said that Clattenburg put us in that position and LvG didn't help either by taking off our best player when we needed him most.

bleedred

It was one fecking decision, he didn't gift them the 3 goals after that. That loss was down to us having poor defenders and the lack of character that has been an issue for a couple of years.
If the game had finished 3-1 we wouldnt be talking about our bad defenders. I am also pretty sure, we would have seen the game through without the penalty. That gave them so much impetus. Just look at the matchday thread, first half Blackett was "brilliant" and second half after the penalty he suddenly turned to "shite" according to most posters...

After 3-3 we pushed for the win and lost the game. If we had sat back content for the win, people would still moan about it...

Browniee

I'm gobsmacked. Clattenburg is a twat, but doesn't cover the fact that we bottled it once again.
It's embarrassing

Melvyn

prostate examiner
NO.

For two decades we had to put up with "oh but Man United get all the decisions". Which was clearly rubbish even then. Yeah, it's nice being the bigger man and not focusing on the refs yadda yadda. But it's about time we start screaming and throwing our toys out of the pram about the refs, like every other club does. We've been fecked over today, disgustingly.
Nope. Instead of wallowing in self pity and moaning about penalties and whatnot, we should be focusing on how clueless the defence has looked for the entire season so far, even against QPR last week. The difference this time was that Leicester had the quality to put away their chances.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Does anyone else hate how such a shit result affects you emotionally?

I'm genuinely pissed off and I don't even feel like doing the things I have to do for the rest of the day

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
So our defence isn't that great at all, that's obvious. But our biggest problem is imo something else, we are completely mental right now and we were already last year often enough. We are right now probably one of the weakest teams when it comes to the psychological factor of the game. We begin every game shaky without any confidence and you just need 5-10 unlucky minutes and our team fell apart. We can't handle with pressure and when things get difficult we look like a joke. When things are easy like the QPR game or the preseason we are looking good, attacking wise we have a brilliant team now, but our defence looks even worse under pressure and we really need to work on the mental side of the game. A top class CB, who is a good leader too, would be pretty good though and should be priority numero uno in the next transfer window.

ManUArfa

Not sure why Di Maria was subbed off but Mata was disposessed with ease down their right leading to them getting on top of the game. He loses the ball far more readily than Kagawa ever did but Kagawa was always labelled as the weaker player because of his poorer return. To me Mata's error was the second turning point of the game after their first pen- that is what really killed us off.

Robbie Boy

We were dominating when we went 3-1 up and then we had a 5 minute, Villa like collapse.

JON.B

Sloop
Back to the drawing board, confidence probably at rock bottom again and some tough but needed decisions to be made in relation to the starting lineup for the next match.

sport2793

Nah biggest bottle job came from the players. When things start going against them they hide. I'm disgusted at them actually.

Anyone else see Rooney lashing the defence out of it when Cambiasso scored? I had a bit of a chuckle as it was his awful attempt at a clearance which led to it. He also played crap today. Hasn't impressed at all this season.
We get it, you are still mad that Rooney threw a hissy fit over his contract.

DevilRed

This match should have been a formality at 3-1. We absolutely lost the plot and it was mainly down to the immaturity of our defence. Evans for letting in the first and Rafael being a daft cnut and trying to get a revenge "tackle". The ref was terrible too but we put him in a position to make those shitty decisions. Absolute shambles.

The silver lining is that we can score 3 goals every match easily!!! If only we knew how to kill off a match and actually look remotely competent at the back. There is a lot of negativity right now but what I see is an excellent team in the making. We just need to sort out the balance and defending.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Replaced our most consistent player in the starting lineup with an unfit one. Rooney's passing was shocking. Herrera wasn't involved in defense at all. Rojo and Blackett had trouble all game and nothing was done to fix it. Any kind of patching up in defense is starting to seem like an impossible job, be it finding a new player, deciding who's to start or how to substitute.

Looks like LvG still doesn't have a clue how to play. 3-5-2 was a failure. Next thing is the Florentino Perez way, put on all the new players at once. I don't know, team needs for stability at the back or start pressing a lot higher. There's way too big of a gap between the defense and midfield. A lot of things wrong at the back and I don't see them getting fixed this year.

Moriarty

My Top 3 observations on today's game.

1) Rojo needs to be dropped for a game and needs a hair dryer from LvG. Give Shaw a chance.
2) Team needs to learn to perform under pressure. The moment we had pressure on, the passes do not connect, we lose possession and knee jerk everywhere on the field.
3) Team needs to utilize wings more often. Last season we pinged all the time and this season, we refuse to go wide. Rafael was at his best, but so lacks support up ahead. I think we need to drop a forward for Januzaj on RW
Rojo needs to play in the middle with Shaw on the left. We need a commanding centre-half and we've needed one since we first knew Vidic and Rio were leaving. It's all very well buying brilliant forwards but bolstering the defence has taken a back seat because of this. Now, with Evans and Jones out, we are in trouble.

Siorac

Nope. Instead of wallowing in self pity and moaning about penalties and whatnot, we should be focusing on how clueless the defence has looked for the entire season so far, even against QPR last week. The difference this time was that Leicester had the quality to put away their chances.
Well if the opposition is allowed to foul them with impunity, then what can our defenders do? If Vardy can push and shove players all day long then they can't really do much.

revel911

I keep hearing people blaming LvG and the substitutions. Weren't we up 3-1? Isn't Mata and Adnan good enough?

Our players need to get this turn the game off mentality out of their heads.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Falcao coming off for Januzaj was a complete failure of a move.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

I'm genuinely pissed off and I don't even feel like doing the things I have to do for the rest of the day
I have a full day of work in 20 minutes. Complained to a mate before the game that I haven't had a Sunday off for more than two months and then this game happens.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
The game was in control and 5 mistakes have cost us dearly:

Goal 1) Rojo allowing the cross to come in. Centre backs for not getting to the cross first.
Goal 2) Ref yes. Rafael yes. It wasn't a penalty but Rafael shouldn't have fallen into the trap.
Goal 3) Smalling's poor headed clearance and Rooney losing the ball on the edge of the box and then letting Leicester overrun us and get onto the loose balls in and around our box. Everyone was flat footed.
Goal 4) Rojo and Mata poor play.
Goal 5) Blackett. Weak in the aerial challenge. Poor tackle.

Again, credit to Leicester for taking the chances and forcing the errors but the victory was there for the taking. Each mistake is accountable and every goal was because of them.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
I actually didn't mind the way Rooney, Van Persie, and Falcao played together. There were a couple of big problems today, but it wasn't with the attack, not until Falcao and Di Maria got taken off anyway.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!

Well I feel the same way and it's quite normal - it's because we care for the team. It's rather unhealthy to experience such drastic switch of emotions though - going from happy to depressed in a matter of 20 or so minutes.

Raw

Well it's a good thing Liverpool and Spurs lost then.

Refereeing disaster aside, there's no excuse for that sheer lack of bottle. I've never seen such a horrible United defence in a Premier League game for a long time. Letting go of Vidic has seriously hurt us.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Yep. I'm never in a bad mood unless United lose. Hate it.

justboy68

How to be robbed by referees in the year 2014: Be Manchester United.

Blatant handball vs Sunderland
Blatant handball vs Burnley
Bulldozed over with all of the might you could muster = play on, slightest touch = instant pen.
Decisions for? None.

Total points cost: 7.

No doubt some moron in the media will say these things 'even out over the course of the season' :rolleyes:

Regardless, the collapse following the goal was an absolute clusterfeck of gargantuan proportions. We need some bottle. There's nothing we can do about refereeing incompetence. How we react is under our control. No one had a cool head in there. I'm not actually too worried about the result in terms of our future prospect as it was a freakshow of a game. We do need to sort out rapidly our reaction to adversity though. As soon as anything goes against us be it a goal or decision we completely crumble.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
This match should have been a formality at 3-1. We absolutely lost the plot and it was mainly down to the immaturity of our defence. Evans for letting in the first and Rafael being a daft cnut and trying to get a revenge "tackle". The ref was terrible too but we put him in a position to make those shitty decisions. Absolute shambles.

The silver lining is that we can score 3 goals every match easily!!! If only we knew how to kill off a match and actually look remotely competent at the back. There is a lot of negativity right now but what I see is an excellent team in the making. We just need to sort out the balance and defending.
Rafael did nothing wrong for the peno mate. The foul on him should have been flagged up before the peno incident btw

Siorac

Goal 2) Ref yes. Rafael yes. It wasn't a penalty but Rafael shouldn't have fallen into the trap..
But what trap? What should he have done? Just not even attempting to go close to the cnut? Because he clearly didn't even touch him.

Player Ratings

4.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 506 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 26% Leicester 1:3 Man Utd
  • 18% Leicester 0:3 Man Utd