PL L FA Premier League

Leicester City 5:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 21 September 2014

JSMHE

1) Poor decision for the PK. Changing the game.
2) We are mentally crap. Just one poor decision and we turns into shambles. We used to be king of comeback.
3) Di Maria is class as always
4) Rojo had a poor game today. Lucky for him that he might get starting eleven spot again since Evans is injured and Blackett is suspended.
5) Blackett did great first half. After the third goal, it seems he switched off
6) What's up with Falcao? Slipped 3 times
7) Rooney, hmm. Can't call him poor though. Got one assist as well. But compare to Di Maria for overall performance? I must say Di Maria just showed him what is it called as a class with worth of money.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
- Our defenders are shit.
- Clattenberg made one of the worst decisions I've ever seen.
- Vardy is a colossal cnut.

Mister Ed

Stop putting the blame on Clattenburg. The players and manager bottled it.
We were rightfully 1-3 infront and the game as good as in the bag, than Clattenburg just brings them right back into it with one of the most shocking decisons I have seen in a very long time. It doesn't excuse the team falling to pieces like that, but without that penalty no way this would have happened, no way ! It is a prime example of a game changing decision. Not to mention that leicesters 4th and 5th came after fouls aswell, fouls that Clattenbrug just let past, he didn't whistle a single situation in our favor and he turned the game around.

Ofcourse praise must be given to Leicester for putting themselves out there like that, they pressured really well and their attacks just were relentless after they got that 2-3. And ofcourse our defenders messed up, did so much wrong the entire game and espeically when leicester came pushing on after that 2-3 they just didn't know what to do anymore.

But nonethelss we had control over the game and were 1-3 ahead before that penalty, I think everybody sort of expected we had it in the bag and than the entire situation changed so quickly after that shocking penalty that we just couldn't get back in that game. Pulling off Falcao and Di Maria surely didn't help but perhaps they weren't entirely fit yet.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
So we got a terrible penalty given against us. It was a joke but it happens. We were still winning after they scored it.

The truly unacceptable part was the goals that came after. They should not have been allowed to score 3 more.

Clattenberg played a massive part in this loss but the true blame lies with the team.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
A Man Utd team should not have a two goal advantage reversed into a two goal deficit, especially at a newly promoted side's ground. Utterly abysmal.

Clattenburg was useless from start to finish but he was not the reason for their third, fourth and fifth goals.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Get rid of this defense and bring some quality defenders in. They are all a bunch of injury prone and overrated players.

FromTheBench

Allardyce saying that i would have been in a disciplinary hearing after that performance by the referee.

Hope Van Gaal ends up in one.

We are getting no decisions this season.

the hea

Terrible decision from Clattenburg to give the penalty but the players bottled it big time and they should take the blame.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I thought Leicester were fantastic today, they kept pushing us through the game and in the end it feels like they wanted it more.

Also, I think some players were surprised by their aggression.

Rojo was pretty poor in defence and naïve in attack.

Van Persie link-up play was absolutely terrible, like he did one thing right in the whole game. Rooney was quite good playing deeper, better than I thought. Falcao had some moments but clearly we are yet to see the best of him.

Anyway, we should not be playing 3 strikers against any opposition in the EPL. Not sure Mata is the answer either.

We were too offensive in this game at times.

Woodenlung

We get it, you are still mad that Rooney threw a hissy fit over his contract.
No I'm mad that Rooney's non performances get overlooked at every occasion.

He hasn't played well once this season and is now the captain of the club. Its sickening.

WyoManU

If the game had finished 3-1 we wouldnt be talking about our bad defenders. I am also pretty sure, we would have seen the game through without the penalty. That gave them so much impetus. Just look at the matchday thread, first half Blackett was "brilliant" and second half after the penalty he suddenly turned to "shite" according to most posters...

After 3-3 we pushed for the win and lost the game. If we had sat back content for the win, people would still moan about it...
Sorry, disagree. I told my wife at 2-0 we looked like conceding a few. I didn't think 5, but the fragility and errors in the back are there for all to see, even when ADM is scoring wonder goals.

Varun

Staff
Horrible decision to give the pen and it totally changed the momentum of the game but it was poor how we folded after that. Real lack of composure from the team. The decision to remove Di Maria and play Januzaj upfront was poor too, we looked absolutely toothless after that.

bleedred

We outdid Liverpool's collapse at Crystal Palace. Where is the resolve? I can't blame the ref, we had enough margin for error to win despite several bad decisions. The team could not maintain the lead, we had already won the game on 60 minutes in our minds and started dreaming about "our title challenge" only to start shipping goals the other way.

We had no answer for Leicester City's attack.
Thats just bullshit... How many saves did DDG have to make before the penalty. The decision completely changed the game and our view of the game.

If we had won the game 3-1, all the tunes here would be how blackett is a decent prospect and how our attacking lineups will fire us into Top 4 etc..,

I will not read much into this game. We were good and I still predict our luck will turn and the decisions will even out at the end of the season...

RORY65

If the game had finished 3-1 we wouldnt be talking about our bad defenders. I am also pretty sure, we would have seen the game through without the penalty. That gave them so much impetus. Just look at the matchday thread, first half Blackett was "brilliant" and second half after the penalty he suddenly turned to "shite".

After 3-3 we pushed for the win and lost the game. If we had sat back content for the win, people would still moan about it...
Well we didn't win 3-1 so that hardly matters, I certainly wasn't raving about Blackett in the first half given he was having a tough time against Jamie Vardy. He might turn into a decent squad player but Luke Shaw must be seriously unfit if playing him at left back and Rojo, who was really poor today himself, in the middle isn't the better option. Add to that Smalling, who some people is our best defender, doesn't seem to have developed in 3 years.

Also, we weren't really pushing for a winner, we contributed nothing after they got it back to 3-2. Playing hospital passes when we have no one back with 15 minutes to go is not pushing for the winner, it's a sign of a team that's lost the plot.

I don't mind United not being that good and I actually enjoyed watching us play for an hour but this lack of character is really fecking tiresome. Since 2012 this club has thrown away an 8 point lead, gone into a 15 minute strop after Nani got sent off against Madrid, given up on being arsed once Ferguson left and now conceded 4 goals in 20 minutes against a newly promoted side.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Well I feel the same way and it's quite normal - it's because we care for the team. It's rather unhealthy to experience such drastic switch of emotions though - going from happy to depressed in a matter of 20 or so minutes.
It's definitely unhealthy. I fecking hate it :lol:

Ivor Ballokov

The penalty was the turning point but regardless you don't let a 3-1 lead go like that. No composure and no character at the back, not one leader there, oh for a Vidic.

Fair play to them for playing good football and really going for it after their second lucky break (third if you think De Laet should have been off).

.Phil1968

Quite unbelievable at 3-1 we looked good for the win and then a Clattenberg moment and we fell apart had awful stream so couldn't really follow game but wasteful in possession again and Rvp largely anonymous from the bits I saw.Feck sake.

Blodssvik

We had ourselves to blame for this result. We are lucky not to concede more goals. We finally look threatening attacking wise but we have ridiculous ball distribution in our own third and our entire defense is a realm of chaos.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I'm so fecked off.

I'm fecked of with Clattenburg - that decision was a complete and utter joke, and done soley to create some sort of controversy. There is no way, in hell, anyone watching that would a) not give a foul or b) give a penalty, it's a complete joke.

I'm fecked off with our team for going to complete shit after the above decision. Where's the composure? We lost any semblance of a football team after that decision... complete panic stations, and we paid heavily for it.

I'm fecked of with our defence... why is Rojo playing a tight pass to Mata then charging up the field when he's only one of two men back? What the hell is Smalling playing at in general? Why is seemingly no one helping Blackett? Which leads him to do daft things like lunge in for a clear red, or stand in possibly the most pointless defensive position I've ever seen for their 4th? It's like a bunch of idiots have got together and nobodies doing anything to help them actually defend.

I'm fecked off with Rooney, for ranting and raving instead of helping our team calm down. Also, he was pretty shit.

I'm fecked off with RVP - he's meant to be our star man, and yet he is completely anonymous... feck, he can even score a goal and he's still crap afterwards.

It could be another long, long season.

Ringo 07

Clattenburg is not fit to ref in the premier league. His decision today could be the difference between us not making the top 4 as we had momentum after the QPR game and his insane decision has out dark clouds all over this club again when it was looking like we were gonna win comfortably with some beautiful attacking play.
LVG will be kicking himself that he didn't buy another central defender but Clattenburg should resign after this match....That decision was that bad...... In the top 3 worst ref decisions I have ever seen

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
1. Blind & Herrera was quality again, and especially Blind was playable and neat even with Leicester marking him out of the game Commanded the defenders well and provided cover. Not his fault that Rojo decided against his positional tips...
2. Rojo was poor, understandable why Sporting fans had a love/hate relationship to him.
3. Vardy was allowed to do way too much, without being stopped by Blackett, Rojo or Clattenburg.
4. LvG's decision to not swap in Shaw when all their goals and threat was coming after challenges from Vardy was a bad one.
5. Leicester played well and deserve praise for their work-rate.
6. Di Maria man of the match.
7. We need to build a defense, we are great from midfield and forward, but the cornerstone in every title-winning team is the defense, and ours is way under par. How United decided against Benatia before Bayern Munchen came in must be down to budget (with outlooks for Falcao in mind).

Next match should be:
Rafael - Smalling - Rojo - Shaw
Herrera - Blind - Di Maria
Mata
Rooney - Falcao

RvP have been off-form, and if the captain won't be dropped then we still need more of a passer in behind the strikers.
Players need to be told that passing it to the backs is unnecessery when you have wingbacks ready to recieve it with a simple pass;
Keep pressure up, don't invite them to press.

legball

Make no mistakes, it was an utterly colossal feck up. This is all about mental strength, ref was shit but how those top players lost their heads after that was a disgrace. Rooney having a go at the defenders was also laughable, his joke of a pass led to that third goal. Di Maria was tiring and had to be taken off, and you could argue that Mata could have given us more control of the game, and Januzaj was there for speed and attack [but, let's blame Van Gaal for making wrong substitutions]. It was a terrible performance after that penalty, it happens.

OneUnited24

I understand where people are coming from about letting a 2 goal lead slip but are you new to football? Have you never seen what momentum can do for a team?

Jesus

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Shocking decision to give the first penalty and that changed the momentum of the game. Our inability to cope with the pressure and more awful defending is very concerning.

Attacking we looked good. Di Maria has settled in very well and Falcao did well in his first start.

The substitutions were a bit strange, Mata looked awful playing the Di Maria role and Januzaj hardly touched the ball.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The subs were daft. Taking off our pace in Di Maria and bringing on Mata who is static and has less of a work rate. Januzaj has been pretty useless coming on this season, and he was again today. We all know the defence is shite, which is why I thought we'd work hard to keep the result when it went to 3-2. Instead we lost our heads and capitulated, so same old shit really.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

He hasn't played well once this season and is now the captain of the club. Its sickening.
Rooney was ok what are you on about? Have a look at our full backs and centre backs today and you'll find your answers.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Players and manager bottled it. Just like we all said when Palace came back at PenaltyPool last season.
Of course the refereeing was shocking but, we just crumbled and the substitutions were baffling to say the least.
No idea how RVP stayed on the pitch. No idea why Rojo stayed at LB and no idea what Rooney was playing at for their 3rd goal. He's the one who gives it away and then starts screaming at others?!

We can go around in circles with this all day but, we've lost 3 games already and conceded 5 goals to Leicester City and 4 to MK Dons. No matter what way you dress it up, that's disgraceful.

I understand it's going to take time to get back to where we were but, it does not take time NOT to concede 5 goals to Leicester City.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Our strengths and our frailties clearly shown in 90 minutes.

Going forward we are going to be as good as anybody but probably better. DEfensivley we lack real quality, experience and leadership.

Two penalties that should never have been given inc clear shove on Blackett for the second.

We don't yet have a spine in the team but the chequebook will fix that.

Blackett has huge potential. Smalling and Evans though should be looking nervously over their shoulder.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Stuff I noticed.

• Clattenburg is a shit ref. Vardy could have actually been booked for that body check on Rafael on the buildup to their first penalty, and he could have also been booked for going to ground so easily. He also missed a blatant foul on Blackett on the lead up to their second penalty and his sending off, again by Vardy. The ball also went out of play before their first goal, but that's more the assistant referees fault.
  • Our defence gets stretched way to easily. Even when we have the lions share of possession, we're extremely suspect when we're hit on the counter. Our two central defenders have way to much space between them, which is dangerous on the counter when Blind can't get back to shield them. This makes it to easy for teams to break out wide and for someone to burst through the middle for a one on one opportunity.
  • Lack of leadership. There's a huge difference between players who are determined and work hard (Rooney, Blind, RVP) and players who demand authority. Looking at our team today I don't see any players who have the bottle and drive to make a team stick together and stop us from falling apart when shit hits the fan.
  • Contradiction in our attacking play/width. It's tough to play quick, free flowing football when we play so narrow in the buildup. When we played 3 at the back, our fullbacks would be much more confident in marauding forward and offering an overlap. How many times today did we see an attacking player get the ball, before having to hold it up and play it backwards towards Blind/Herrara, instead of being offered an outlet by Rafael/Rojo?
  • Falcao/RVP partnership. Two world class players no doubt, but I don't think they should play together in games like today. They both like to lead the line and play off the shoulder of the last defender. When both of them are trying to play this roll they just get in the way of each other.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
Thats just bullshit... How many saves did DDG have to make before the penalty. The decision completely changed the game and our view of the game.

If we had won the game 3-1, all the tunes here would be how blackett is a decent prospect and how our attacking lineups will fire us into Top 4 etc..,

I will not read much into this game. We were good and I still predict our luck will turn and the decisions will even out at the end of the season...
I agree with so much of what you wrote. I do believe Blackett is an outstanding prospect, despite his mistakes. I want him in the side, next to more experienced players who can support him and guide him. I wonder if we lacked some defensive cover from midfield on the goals today.

I agree again, we are not as bad as the scoreline today, we both know that's true. Margins are getting finer every day in this league, and winning is about more than talent. Mentality, composure, ability to shrug off bad decisions are the sort of traits that make champions, and the sort of stuff we are lacking.

sport2793

Last time I checked he brilliantly slotted di Maria in on the second. Commentators were quick to mention it also. Rooney didn't lose the ball today either and maintained possession in tight areas. You can argue he messed up with a clearance although I have to watch that again. There were worse players on the pitch so as an individual performance it wasn't bad.

I will agree though that Rooney's captaincy today needs to be questioned. He was not effective in settling his team down after any of the goals by Leicester were scored. The captain needs to be at the forefront of reestablishing control of the game by motivating the players. The problem is RVP is more emotional and there aren't any other candidates for captain apart from Rooney and RVP. This game proved to me that we need Mats Hummels without a doubt and it's not happening anytime soon. We are in huge trouble unless our center backs stay healthy and develop.

Tompo

Well, this was the most excited and entertained I have been watching United in a long while.

Yes we had a shocker at the end, but at least there was some quality attacking play.

Much prefer this to the tumescent sluggish crap we have been watching for the last few seasons.

We will get there, I have hope.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
My Top 3 observations on today's game.

1) Rojo needs to be dropped for a game and needs a hair dryer from LvG. Give Shaw a chance.
2) Team needs to learn to perform under pressure. The moment we had pressure on, the passes do not connect, we lose possession and knee jerk everywhere on the field.
3) Team needs to utilize wings more often. Last season we pinged all the time and this season, we refuse to go wide. Rafael was at his best, but so lacks support up ahead. I think we need to drop a forward for Januzaj on RW
I don't think we will have any choice to play Rojo. We have lost two CB's. So unless he is going to drop Blind back into defence, we are going to have to play. Rafael, Smalling/hopefully Jones, Rojo and Shaw.

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
Definitely the good, the bad and the ugly. Even up 3-1 Leicester thought they were in the game. The spaces in front of our defense were troubling all game.

The penalty completely changed the momentum-but we still should have seen the game out. Rooney, as captain did not get the situation under control. That said, the defense was obviously horrible.

Shaw needs to play next week-and the defenders really need to grow up fast.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
And the biggest bottle was from Clattenburg.
Penalty completely changed the game, the fact that we should have had a free didn't help. De leat could have been sent off at least twice, got next to no decisions our way all game, piss poor performance from him. Top ref in the premier league? Not on that performance.

Raw

Oh fecking dear, racist abuse from our fans against Balotelli on twitter when he made a joke about the result.

It's bad that we lose 5-3 but to be completely classless wankers about it is just pathetic.

Player Ratings

4.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 506 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 26% Leicester 1:3 Man Utd
  • 18% Leicester 0:3 Man Utd