Leighton Baines

Mainoldo

His form has dipped a bit this season. He's looked prone defensively, been one of Everton's poorer performers thus far.

Yeah, think so. He also wanted to go to Barcelona only, seeing as that was his boyhood club.
So if Shaw only wants to go to United does that mean we could probably get him for around £12m. Either way you can get a quality winger for that money. No one is paying that for a full back unless he is Roberto Carlos reincarnated.

Hellboy

Shaw signed a long term contract with Soton last year, that's why it will be very difficult to buy for anything less than £20m.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
So if Shaw only wants to go to United does that mean we could probably get him for around £12m. Either way you can get a quality winger for that money. No one is paying that for a full back unless he is Robert Carlos reincarnated.
We paid £16m for a 19 year old centre back. Why wouldn't a club who really wanted a promising young player not pay the premium when they have done so many times in the past?

We paid £15m for a winger who hadn't even played in a top tier league.

Mainoldo

Shaw signed a long term contract with Soton last year, that's why it will be very difficult to buy for anything less than £20m.
He could have signed a 10year contract he is not worth £20 plus million.

Mainoldo

We paid £16m for a 19 year old centre back. Why wouldn't a club who really wanted a promising young player not pay the premium when they have done so many times in the past?

We paid £15m for a winger who hadn't even played in a top tier league.
Jones is a centre back for starts.. We paid less than £20m and i will honestly predict now he will turn out a better individual player than Jones. Yes we paid £15m for a 'winger' they rightly have a higher premium.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Everton will try to fleece us here - that's obvious. And Soton will do the same if we come looking for Shaw. It's pretty much inevitable that we'll end up overpaying for that sort of player. If Evra is determined to leave at the end of the season we should probably look abroad to replace him - or else be prepared to pay a stupid amount to any PL club that's sitting on a suitable player.

NotoriousISSY

Jones is a centre back for starts.. We paid less than £20m and i will honestly predict now he will turn out a better individual player than Jones. Yes we paid £15m for a 'winger' they rightly have a higher premium.
What's with this ridiculous criteria you've set? If somebody involved with deciding on players we want consider him a genuine talent and a solution for a number of years they'll pay what they have to pay.

When you consider a Premier League upbringing for the most-part, English tax, his performances and the hype (Shaw - there is a big hype about him down there), he'll carry a premium. If he can go on and give 10+ years service I'd have no problem with an inflated premium.

Doesn't matter if he's a winger, centre back or centre mid. Takes 11 guys every week to win football games.

Mainoldo

What's with this ridiculous criteria you've set? If somebody involved with deciding on players we want consider him a genuine talent and a solution for a number of years they'll pay what they have to pay.

When you consider a Premier League upbringing for the most-part, English tax, his performances and the hype (Shaw - there is a big hype about him down there), he'll carry a premium. If he can go on and give 10+ years service I'd have no problem with an inflated premium.

Doesn't matter if he's a winger, centre back or centre mid. Takes 11 guys every week to win football games.
Well yeah it does as you are more likely to spend more on strikers because they get you goals i am yet to see what having the best left back in the world gets you and don't see why we should pay so much for a left back.

NotoriousISSY

Well yeah it does as you are more likely to spend more on strikers because they get you goals i am yet to see what having the best left back in the world gets you and don't see why we should pay so much for a left back.
Come to think of it you're right. Left backs do nothing.

Remember you're not part of 'we'. You don't decide where the money goes and who it's spent on. If someone with power wants it to happen, it'll happen. Get over it.

Mainoldo

Come to think of it you're right. Left backs do nothing.

Remember you're not part of 'we'. You don't decide where the money goes and who it's spent on. If someone with power wants it to happen, it'll happen. Get over it.
If we want to spend that money I'm sure it wont affect me the slightest. It just doesn't add up.

Ekeke

Madrid signed Coentrao for £20 million + Garay. And Coentrao isnt even English, wasnt a City or Chelsea target like Shaw is bound to be and well... Coentrao hasnt even been good for Madrid.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Fairthorne(Former CNN and The Sun journo)

"Baines a done deal for United in January and club also working on two La Liga based players."

"Manchester United know their transfer dealings in the summer was a mess. I know of one agent negotiating two big deals for January window."

"Baines was so close to United move in summer. United know what they have to pay now and Everton privately agreed to let him join MUFC"

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
"Two La Liga based players"!! Surely one must be the return of Manucho :cool:

I thought Everton might hold firm until the summer before raping us for him, but if a professional Sun journalist says it then it must be true.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Think signing Baines is inevitable, as is overpaying for him. Still, he should fit in well at the club. A good, safe signing if you ignore how much we'll pay.

Brophs

The One and Only
Isn't he one of those Twitter bullshitters who pops up around transfer windows with endless transfer gossip?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Since I've accepted Evra is leaving I'm fine with it, just so long as it's less then 20m. Also I'd like it if he joined in the summer until Evra properly left, we don't need a new left back during January, just the midfielders.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
We quite clearly need a LB.

With few available going for Baines, who is quality and who the manager knows makes perfect sense. It buys us a couple of years to get a capable understudy in place, I'd say Fabio and Buttner will go in the summer and be replaced, hopefully by Shaw :drool:

Salfordlad70

We quite clearly need a LB.

With few available going for Baines, who is quality and who the manager knows makes perfect sense. It buys us a couple of years to get a capable understudy in place, I'd say Fabio and Buttner will go in the summer and be replaced, hopefully by Shaw :drool:
Baines and Shaw would be ideal.I'll miss Evra but I can't see him being here beyond the summer.I'd like Fabio to have an opportunity, but that seems unlikely given what little playing time he's been given.

RooneyLegend

Don't see the logic of signing baines when players like Alex Sandro and Luke shaw are around.

Keenst

If we do sign Baines, Oviedo looks like he could be a decent replacement for Everton. Potenially another impressive signing by Moyes.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Don't see the logic of signing baines when players like Alex Sandro and Luke shaw are around.
Because transfers really are that simple. Just pick a player and bam they're yours.

I'd like Shaw but signing him as a replacement for Evra would be a risk. Going for someone with more experience seems logical enough to me.

Sam

Signing Baines + a youngster like Shaw would make sense. Then again, so would just signing Coentrao .

RooneyLegend

Because transfers really are that simple. Just pick a player and bam they're yours.

I'd like Shaw but signing him as a replacement for Evra would be a risk. Going for someone with more experience seems logical enough to me.
Signing players from clubs significantly smaller than us isn't the most complicated thing in the world. Put the money up, and take the player if he wants to come.

He's turning 29 in a couple of weeks time. He'd give us at best 2-3 top class seasons. For the outlay that'd be needed for us to nab him, I'd say its not the most logical of signings. How much of a risk is Shaw really? He's playing at a really high level week in week out. This isn't some youngster who we're not particularly sure of how he'd do in the league, who needs a lot of improvement. This is a youngster who's playing better football than our starting left back atm in the same league.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot

I've seen enough of Shaw.....he isn't a risk for 25m IMO.

He was already brilliant last season......i thought he needs to do it again before he would be on my transfer wish list........and he's two levels better this season than he was it last season......the best LB in the PL right now.

A price like 25m is nothing if he would be at Old Trafford for 8 years...10 years...12 years.

I will cry if he will go to Manchester City or Chelsea or Tottenham.

I watch so many youth games (Manchester United, England, other reserve games or international tournaments) and Shaw is a magnificent talent.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Fairly certain Fairthorne is a bullshitter.

There are plenty of people on Twitter who have behind the scenes access to information - some ends up being true, some doesn't. It depends on how negotiations between various clubs and players unfold. Sometimes deals fall apart and people on the internet blame Tweeters for being bullshitters, when in fact they were just reporting what they heard at the time.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
There are plenty of people on Twitter who have behind the scenes access to information - some ends up being true, some doesn't. It depends on how negotiations between various clubs and players unfold. Sometimes deals fall apart and people on the internet blame Tweeters for being bullshitters, when in fact they were just reporting what they heard at the time.
I know. Just like how Graham Hunter was attacked on Twitter after Thiagogate for saying that he was close to joining United when he actually does have close ties to United. The club uses him to liaise with Spanish clubs. I believe the deal took so long because Moyes was scouting his background. In any case, Fairthorne saying United know what they must pay suggests that whatever they pay will be overpriced, but hey, not my money.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Fairly certain Fairthorne is a bullshitter.
He talks complete shit, said M'Vila to Arsenal was 100% on and would close his twitter if it didn't go through. When it didn't happen and he was called up on it was saying the players agent told him to spread those rumours to create interest. Would not believe a word he says

LonelyFire

I just don't see the logic in paying that kind of money for Baines - 3 seasons tops before we are in same position. Shaw better option given age but can only see him going to Chelsea. Coentrao still looks the better value.

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
I just don't see the logic in paying that kind of money for Baines - 3 seasons tops before we are in same position. Shaw better option given age but can only see him going to Chelsea. Coentrao still looks the better value.
He would at least ping in better crosses than Evra. Anyway, there's nothing stopping us from buying Shaw and loaning him back even if we do get Baines.

Rossa

He would at least ping in better crosses than Evra. Anyway, there's nothing stopping us from buying Shaw and loaning him back even if we do get Baines.

Who says he will get into as many positions as Evra? Evra's still the better footballer and still has more pace. On Sunday he was caught for pace a couple of times, but against Lennon and Walker that's no shame. Probably only Evra in his prime had enough pace for those two. Baines lacks pace imo to play as a fullback for United. I would much prefer Shaw and keep Evra for a year or two.