Leighton Baines

Adebesi

Its the difference between a little and a lot of money. Does a player have 8 months on his contract or 18? Its also the length of a huge injury layoff or a huge increase or decrease in a player's profile. 10 months ago Mata was Chelsea's clear, best player. Now he's joining United as a Chelsea backup. 10 months or a season is a long, long time in football and of course it makes a difference if a player plays for your club for 3 years like Baines or 4 years like Rooney.

There are certain cut-off points where you'll find clubs generally don't pay a lot for a player or think about moving a player on or not offering them a new deal. One of those is about 28 the next is 30, the next is about 32. Leighton Baines is close to not being valuable even if he has a long contract. If Rooney had a long contract without any special agreements we might not know about, he'd still be very valuable player. And that 10 months makes up a large part of the difference.

If we swapped their ages around and Rooney was 10 months older than Baines, Rooney a player of 29 years of age could have a 5 year solid contract and he still wouldnt be worth a huge amount of money to the buying club just because he's nearing that next magic cutoff point where clubs get a bit nervous.
It feels like you are subtly moving the goal posts. I can see that the difference between 8 months and 18 months on a contract is significant, that isnt what we are talking about, we are talking about player ages. And the 28-30-32 age watersheds you have cited are IMO utterly arbitrary. There are big differences between the situations of Baines and Rooney that revolve around their marketability, their ability, their "loyalty". A ten month age difference is not a deciding factor IMO. Anyway, cheers for responding to my question, I was interested to hear your take on the differences between the two situations.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Glad he's staying there now. It's not my money but the potential figures needed to get him just didn't make sense in my head for a player who will most likely fade into the mist in 3-4 years as is the case with most full-backs.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
We do need a left-back, and Baines is one of the best in the league but this wasn't the right deal for us IMO. I'm sure Evertonians are delighted he's committed his future to them.

Kag

Should his loyalty be applauded or is he a little bit small-time? I'm veering to the latter. Everton may be doing well right now, but the grim reality is that their lack of resources will hurt them going forward. The rest have so much more to spend. I'm surprised he didn't push for this.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Should his loyalty be applauded or is he a little bit small-time? I'm veering to the latter. Everton may be doing well right now, but the grim reality is that their lack of resources will hurt them going forward. The rest have so much more to spend. I'm surprised he didn't push for this.
Well it wouldnt be the first time he shied away from big things. Remember he didnt want to go the World Cup and play for his country because he said he will be 'homesick'. Thats the dumbest thing I have heard a footballer say.

Adebesi

Well it wouldnt be the first time he shied away from big things. Remember he didnt want to go the World Cup and play for his country because he said he will be 'homesick'. Thats the dumbest thing I have heard a footballer say.
Ha ha, did he actually say that? I didnt hear about that. Bloody hell. You have to question the temperament of someone who says that.

Very interesting question though @Kag on the question of loyalty. One man's loyalty is another man's lack of ambition. I dont think there is any right answer to it, it is entirely in the eye of the beholder.

Bestie07

Ha ha, did he actually say that? I didnt hear about that. Bloody hell. You have to question the temperament of someone who says that.

Very interesting question though @Kag on the question of loyalty. One man's loyalty is another man's lack of ambition. I dont think there is any right answer to it, it is entirely in the eye of the beholder.
It's so rare to see these days that I'd prefer to admire it. Similar things were said about Le Tissier as well.

Ekeke

I think it was last chance saloon to push for a move in the summer. Baines has been a late developer and had a small window to try himself at a top club. Loyalty should always be applauded

Adebesi

It's so rare to see these days that I'd prefer to admire it. Similar things were said about Le Tissier as well.
Me too. I certainly dont hold it against him. Its not like he is wasting his talents at some no-marks lower division club, he is playing in the premiership for a team with realistic ambitions of getting into the CL. If he is happy there then good for him.

Kag

Some good points made. On Le Tissier, did anybody ever bid for him, considering how good he was meant to have been?

Ekeke

You could also make the argument that Everton were closer to challenging for the title till this point than we have been, so even if he pushed for a move to a big club it may have been a sideways move.

ricky-romeo

4 years too old unfortunately. best LB in the league for a few years now, but no need for us to splash out money for a 30 year old fullback.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
4 years too old unfortunately. best LB in the league for a few years now, but no need for us to splash out money for a 30 year old fullback.
Splitting hairs but he's not 30. He only turned 29 last month.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Some good points made. On Le Tissier, did anybody ever bid for him, considering how good he was meant to have been?
I'm pretty sure Chelsea did at one point, but he didn't see any particular reason to leave Saints.

Shimo

83 pages .... thank goodness this thread can pretty much be closed now. I like Baines but, at 29 for a defender, I've always thought it was the wrong move for us. Hopefully now we'll go gung ho on Shaw - can't comment on hoping on the Athletico guy since not really watched him play.

P.S. Hoping Moyes told - him "oh yeah we don't want you any more, we've got bigger plans".

Dominos

Well it wouldnt be the first time he shied away from big things. .
To be fair he asked Everton to let him leave in the summer. Having seen the respective fortunes of the 2 teams since it's no surprise he's changed his mind.

Glanville95

His offensive contribution has been far better this half. I don't even think his positional play has been that bad, but he's physically overpowered too easily.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Great post.

Do u base all of your expert analysis on 1 match?
He never impressed at top flight level. He's Everton level just as his former manager Moyes and his former team mate Fellaini.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
He has been woeful, Shaw should have played, or a left sided centreback, whoever! Shame we didn't have Cole.

Zen

Just goes to show how wasteful the Shaw inclusion is, there would of been a big push for Cole to play in this game....and he would of been considered, which Shaw wasn't at all. Taking players for experience is only useful if you haven't got others you are going to consider on backup.

Problem, I genuinely believe Shaw would be a natural on this occasion, same for the CL. More so than say Barkley too, who's obviously fearless, but due to the nature of his position, mistakes will happen more often due to that. Hope Shaw starts against Costa Rica, Baines has been very below par, probably homesick too. Johnson surprised though, great stuff in the setup of Rooney, and had other decent moments.

Lane

Baines really looked out of place completely in these two matches. A mistake from Hodgson not to bring in Cole. In hindsight, but i mean that's his job to pick players that can cope, Baines just could not. In both matches he offered very little in attack and was not solid in defence.

Kag

Out of his depth at the elite level. Slow, uncoordinated and struggles without the football being catered for his talents. We did, indeed, dodge a bullet.