Leny Yoro

the_cliff

I agree, despite being a Branthwaite fanboy I think this lad is the next VVD type rolls royce defender.
I do think that Branthwaite is currently more proven than Yoro, despite Yoro being more talented. Branthwaite is a very underrated defender and has been a beast for you lot, especially in the run in. I think the potential downside for Branthwaite is less than that of Yoro but the potential upside may not be as high so it depends on how you look at it, especially in terms of the pace of the PL.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I do think that Branthwaite is currently more proven than Yoro, despite Yoro being more talented. Branthwaite is a very underrated defender and has been a beast for you lot, especially in the run in. I think the potential downside for Branthwaite is less than that of Yoro but the potential upside may not be as high so it depends on how you look at it, especially in terms of the pace of the PL.
I’m a fan of Branthwaite too, but he is not much more developed than Yoro. And I don’t think he’s had an impressive run-in either, few mistakes and there are areas in his game that are costing chances, like committing too early. I think he can become a top PL centre half though, and he also has most attributes. Yoro is class though, the type that doesn’t come around too often.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I believe his contract is up next summer so there’s that. I think he will cost something like 65m euros personally.
Bargain if he's as good (potentially) as some say.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I think trying to predict how a young CB will develop is really, really difficult. I would prefer someone more proven in our situation.

I also think Leny could need several years before he is ready for the PL. Bit like Saliba,

the_cliff

I’m a fan of Branthwaite too, but he is not much more developed than Yoro. And I don’t think he’s had an impressive run-in either, few mistakes and there are areas in his game that are costing chances, like committing too early. I think he can become a top PL centre half though, and he also has most attributes. Yoro is class though, the type that doesn’t come around too often.
I haven't seen much of Yoro I confess, I'd say I've watched a handful of Lille matches this season. I just see Branthwaites accomplishments this season as more impressive, especially considering the situation Everton were in and the pressure he was under due to that. Also the pace/level of the PL is different to the French League and I doubt Yoro would come straight in and look as impressive. Again, I don't doubt that Yoro is the bigger talent.

Saliba/Gabriel are good recent examples of young defenders that were amazing in the French league but needed a bit of time to get accustomed to the PL.

I think we should sign both of them, would be our best defensive signings for a long time.

SamoyedSam

Supports
Notts County
It's hard to judge Branthwaite. Dyche sets up a tight defence so despite where Everton are finishing, they've been pretty solid. It's hard to know how he'd do at a bigger club, playing a higher line and being more expansive. You'd think at the kind of money being talked about, he'd be a shoe in for England at the Euros, but I'd be surprised if he plays.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
It's hard to judge Branthwaite. Dyche sets up a tight defence so despite where Everton are finishing, they've been pretty solid. It's hard to know how he'd do at a bigger club, playing a higher line and being more expansive. You'd think at the kind of money being talked about, he'd be a shoe in for England at the Euros, but I'd be surprised if he plays.
He was really good for PSV

3KDré

Tosin, Yoro, Branthwaite would be insane. I do worry about Branthwaite's agility in honesty, though.

Redivy

Would be such a statement signing for the club. I still think he is bound for PSG or Madrid though.

Yoro, Tobido and Tosin in, with Varane, Maguire and Evans out.

JE-365

Varane and Evans are leaving, Maguire and Lindelof might also leaving. If he wants regular football in a top league level, he will get one by moving here.

big_jeffstar

Tosin, Yoro, Branthwaite would be insane. I do worry about Branthwaite's agility in honesty, though.
Branthwaite is the least exciting of that lot tbh, just strikes me as a young Maguire.. I’m sure we can do better, for far cheaper, Todibo instead and we’d be cooking

big_jeffstar

He’s decent in the air, that’s about it, his positional play is very average, he doesn’t check his shoulder very often and he’s not great at playing out from the back, basically everything we don’t need as we’re already trying to move away from someone with the exact same skill set.
he’s overhyped like crazy

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He’s decent in the air, that’s about it, his positional play is very average, he doesn’t check his shoulder very often and he’s not great at playing out from the back, basically everything we don’t need as we’re already trying to move away from someone with the exact same skill set.
he’s overhyped like crazy
It's like you watched that Howson video and just believed everything he said.

CM

Yoro would be an exciting signing if we could get him but my hunch is we haven't heard the end of the Madrid links this summer. A signing like this would be the right way to kick off the new era if we could pull it off.

big_jeffstar

It's like you watched that Howson video and just believed everything he said.
No, I imagine we just both have eyes, and I get to watch Everton a fair bit because one of my best friends is a big fan,
I don’t really watch YouTubers anymore, (I am still partial to a statement Dave video though) has he done a “scouting report?”
Sounds like you think we’re both wrong though, so I look forward to seeing the stats to back up your opinion if so

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
No, I imagine we just both have eyes, and I get to watch Everton a fair bit because one of my best friends is a big fan,
I don’t really watch YouTubers anymore, (I am still partial to a statement Dave video though) has he done a “scouting report?”
Sounds like you think we’re both wrong though, so I look forward to seeing the stats to back up your opinion if so
I disagree that his positional play is average. He just plays on the front foot and attempts to anticipate the play, something which he more often than not succeeds in, and when he doesn't, he has the pace and guile to get back and use his immense size to tackle the opponent with slide tackles etc. I disagree that he can't play from the back either, he showed at PSV that he can and at times for us he has too. Look at the goal we scored against West Ham or the goal McNeil scores against Forest at home for example. He's involved in the build up play. Dyche doesn't play with defenders from the back building up too often, they're generally tasked with lumping it to DCL for knock-downs. Additionally, he has also shown he has the ability to play those long balls though.

I think Yoro is a bigger talent and in the top world class tier but I'd put Branthwaite in the one below that, in the elite talent bracket.

Kingslayer18

Lets hope the rumours are true that Madrid are not targeting Yoro anymore. He has all the potential to be world class but is he ready to be a starter for us? If not, are we happy for someone like Tosin to start for us for a year as Yoro beds in? Hopefully we don't miss out on him and if not, go for Diomande as back up option. I think PSG will fully go all out for him as he's likely to play there as they are unhappy with their CBs and being French, he might decide that staying in France is best for his development for now.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
So from all the talk, this is the S-tier guy who is predestined to become a world class player and one of, if not the CB of his generation, so much so it seemed a dead certainty he was Madrid bound without question?

If the above is true, and we manage to land him, I'll hold the clubs' current position and world standing amongst players themselves in a different light to what I currently do.

From the sound of things, he is one such talent that only the giants have a chance of landing, and he'll be expected to go straight into someone's first team.

I will say that we have a rather unique situation in that so many of our defenders might be sold off this summer if they agree to leave, freeing up an absolute fortune in wages as it's a couple of huge earners in that mix: Varane, Maguire, Lindelof, Evans so wages themselves wouldn't be a problem as reallocation would cover his [Yoro] as well as at least two youngsters with a solid chunk of change left over.

If there are any legs to him not going to Madrid, this will be an interesting one to follow over the summer. I suspect any interested party will want this concluded before the Euros, whilst any smart agent will want to wait and hope Yoro has an outstanding tournament to then enter the negotiations from a position of strength. The swing on his valuation could end up being wild from pre to post tournament if he proves to be a star.

davidmichael

Think everyone just waiting for next year if Lille don't lower their supposed £40m+ demands, he's out contract in just over a year.
If they only want £45 million for him we should snap their hands off at that price as I doubt he’d want a massive wage, let’s just say he wants £5 million a year that’s £10 million a year on the balance sheet over 5 years for arguably the biggest defensive talent in world football and who’s value will most likely double.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Yoro and Neves are the two best (read most likely to really make it but who knows) young players on the market this summer. Not cheap. Technically and athletically very good. Future international regulars all going to plan.

Ive wanted us to fully take this approach for years but Im more wary now than ever after Sancho Antony and then Pogba and Martial to a lesser extent. Felix and whoever else. Look at Chelsea. Buying these great prospects guarantees nothing without a winning culture already existing at the club. If Rashford and Shaw were really stepping it up and leading along with Bruno I’d be a lot more confident of their being proper standards behind the scenes. For now who really knows? Even our best players are in the doldrums We’ve seen too many good players come here and quickly run out of road to think just another one or two will fix things.

jesperjaap

Yoro, Araujo, Silva, Diomonde.....there reallyare some fabulous young entre backs possibly available. Rate Braithwate too but not to thesame levels ability wise......but if we failto sign atopquality cb this summer, something is seriously up

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’d be happy with just Adarabioyo on a free for RCB if we were able to get Yoro. We’d need a more experienced option, but Yoro would definitely be the future. There would be no point in signing him and another expensive, young RCB.

If we can’t get Yoro then I’d like us to go after Araujo.

Bwuk

Never got in the France squad, which would be good news if we went in for him.