Leon Goretzka

BerryBerryShrew

Bertie Wooster

It didnt even make much sense for us. He's a (very good) dynamic box to box midfielder and we're crawling with those already. McTominay and Fred, you can probably tag vdB into that bracket as well. What we need is a deep lying playmaker who can defend.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well.

If we are to bring in another CM, it's surely going to be either an understudy #6 for Casemiro, or the deep lying playmaker that we've wanted in De Jong.

As good a box to box CAM that Goretzka is - and, ability wise, I'd be happy for us to spend him - but, for a balanced squad, he's the one type of CM that we already have plenty of. After already signing Mount, I don't see why we'd spend some of our budget on another of that type instead of the other midfield needs.

avgp_1

Not been impressed when I've watched them play. Looks off pace and his work on the ball isnt what we need

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
I don’t think so. The biggest issue is that we basically play with two midfielders. Kimmich has his place secured (rightly so). Goretzka is an awkward fit next to him. Because even though many people argued Kimmich was this super modern number 6, his best role is more offensively and closer to the opponents box. So ideally he needs a player next to him who controls the build up from the back and defends for him. Goretzka ain’t that player. Many fans, like me, believe that’s the main reason for some of our struggles, especially on defense.
Goretzka himself is a fine player and good enough to play for a topclub. But as long as Kimmich is here, he won’t fit.
Everyone said they were a perfect match when Flick was our coach.
But that was a different Goretzka back than in my opinion. Maybe Covid or one of his many injuries cost him.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Maybe all that unnecessary muscle he put on?

Crap season or has he just turned to crap?
He bulked up in our Sextuple season where he was very good, so i wouldnt blame the muscles.

Without his physique and atletics he is only a medioce player.
I have big doubts that he can get back to his best and would be happy if we sold him.

With Laimer we got a very similar player that played a great last season and that is barely injured, unlike Goretzka

Scholsey2004

Really hope these Goretzka and Alaba links are agent driven
Theyre both good players but neither is a profile we seem to currently need. Goretzka is the same profile as McTominay, which doesnt seem to be part of Ten Hag's plans, and Alaba is the same profile as Martinez who is one of Ten Hag's main guys. Neither of them are the type of players who will be looking to be substitutes wherever they go either.

Highfather_24

Theyre both good players but neither is a profile we seem to currently need. Goretzka is the same profile as McTominay, which doesnt seem to be part of Ten Hag's plans, and Alaba is the same profile as Martinez who is one of Ten Hag's main guys. Neither of them are the type of players who will be looking to be substitutes wherever they go either.
Exactly. I'd rather take Amrabat(Casemiro cover) and Pavard(plays both RB and CB at top level).

Scholsey2004

He bulked up in our Sextuple season where he was very good, so i wouldnt blame the muscles.

Without his physique and atletics he is only a medioce player.
I have big doubts that he can get back to his best and would be happy if we sold him.

With Laimer we got a very similar player that played a great last season and that is barely injured, unlike Goretzka
He seems to me to be the same type as McTominay or Isco (edit, meant Saul Niguez). Hugely reliant on athleticism, being stong, fast and having outstanding stamina. If that athletic aspect deteriorates, as it seemingly did with Isco (Saul) , youre left with a lower category of player. Wont likely age well either.

Last edited:

Scholsey2004

Exactly. I'd rather take Amrabat(Casemiro cover) and Pavard(plays both RB and CB at top level).
Yeah, unfortunately it looks like Pavard will likely be gone before we can compete for him. Sounds like we'll be moving for Hojlund after Onana.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Really hope these Goretzka and Alaba links are agent driven
Can't imagine TenHag has any use for a player like Goretzka. Alaba is still a great organizer from the back with good skills - if good enough against more physical team like in England, no idea.

zaafi

He seems to me to be the same type as McTominay or Isco. Hugely reliant on athleticism, being stong, fast and having outstanding stamina. If that athletic aspect deteriorates, as it seemingly did with Isco, youre left with a lower category of player. Wont likely age well either.
McTominay or Isco? :lol: Are you mistaking Isco for someone else?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
He seems to me to be the same type as McTominay or Isco. Hugely reliant on athleticism, being stong, fast and having outstanding stamina. If that athletic aspect deteriorates, as it seemingly did with Isco, youre left with a lower category of player. Wont likely age well either.
Who are these strong, fast, athletic players that don't suffer from losing some of their athleticism?

See also Torres, Alexis Sanchez, Rooney, Keane, Essien and basically all players as they progress into their 30s and retire.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Isco and McTominay are not similar

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
One of my favourite players ever but we got the Ali Express version. I don't trust Bayern wanting to sell a German player ever...Saudi Arabia maybe?
Goretzka is the last footballer that would go to Saudi Arabia. Also a quality of his that is very appreciated amongst the supporters.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Goretzka is the last footballer that would go to Saudi Arabia. Also a quality of his that is very appreciated amongst the supporters.
Yep. I would be genuinely shocked if he even considers a move like this.

Oranges038

Agreed, but I don't think Goretzka would accept coming here to be a rotation option.
I just took a look at the number of minutes he's played in the BL for the last 4 years at Bayern.

18/19 - 1512
20/21 - 1705
21/22 -1396
22/23 - 1728

He isn't going to any top team to be a starter.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Good point, slightly disagree on the McTominay comparison.

Scholsey2004

Who are these strong, fast, athletic players that don't suffer from losing some of their athleticism?

See also Torres, Alexis Sanchez, Rooney, Keane, Essien and basically all players as they progress into their 30s and retire.
Im talking about players whose game is based on athleticism rather than a particular skill.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I just took a look at the number of minutes he's played in the BL for the last 4 years at Bayern.

18/19 - 1512
20/21 - 1705
21/22 -1396
22/23 - 1728

He isn't going to any top team to be a starter.
Thats due to injury isn’t it?

Scholsey2004

Can't imagine TenHag has any use for a player like Goretzka. Alaba is still a great organizer from the back with good skills - if good enough against more physical team like in England, no idea.
I'd be more concerned that Alaba is 31 and that i cant see an obvious starting position for him. Unless he's happy as backup for Martinez and Casemiro which seems unlikely considering his profile.