Leroy Sane watch | Feb 2020: Returning to fitness with City's U23s

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
That sounds like he would consider a move, which isn't even remotely what he said. And where did you encounter those? Some plastics from India on reddit?
You are really thick isn't it?

Charles Miller

No pacey team has won a cup since....phew....I really would have to think. Germany 2014 wasnt, the three Spain teams before that weren't, Italy certainly wasn't, Greece...well....Brazil maybe still the paciest of those? That wasn't it's defining quality either though. If anything, the pace teams consistenly have been fecked over at World Cups.
The teams that won the last world cups were not pacey. It proves they are good enough without pace, not that a non-pacey team will give you better chances in the wc.

By that logic i could say that non-pacey teams will struggle in big tournaments like Spain did in the last Euro and in 2014.

That said i dont think Germany will miss Sane. He looks out of place in their system. They have better players to do the job.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
It does seem a bit of a shock. My only conclusion is they are trying to stop German talent moving abroad? Brandt is a good player but I cannot see how any top class manager would select him over Sane, based on the season he has just had.

Either that or Sane has done something that will soon get leaked.
That had crossed my mind as it does sound like a strange decision. I get that he's not been doing well for his country but he'd be a cracking option off the bench to help change things up if needed.

From a City point of view, I'm not too despondent as it should ensure he's fresh for the start of the new season but I was looking forward to seeing how he'd perform in the WC

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Haven’t really seen Brandt but I really really rate Sané. Will be a main player for them in the 2020 euros.

Camilo

Perhaps the EPL just isn't as strong as the media would have people believe. Sane's a good player, but the talk about him during this season was borderline bonkers.. Like Martial (although less so) he still has a way to go.

And with internationals, I've always thought that you prove yourself in friendlies, not with your club. If he's not done that (yet) then of course he shouldn't be an automatic pick. I always think England, and all the UK nations really, allow players into the international scene far too easily. The chat about that kid Sessegnon, who's not even playing in a top tier league, going to the world cup was fecking insanity.

Having said all that, I'm a little surprised.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
In regard to pace:
I think a dominant midfield is more important in those tournaments. Simply because it usually takes a lot of time for midfielders to link up and know each other. If you have a midfield that works well, you have an advantage over every other team. You can easily control the game. That’s part of the reason Germany and Spain have as much success and France and Brazil struggle so much. Spain also got significantly weaker, once the old guard in midfield left.
You need guys who keep the ball, control the pace of the game and are hard to press. You need build up players. Pace is not nearly as important.
On national level, it is more difficult to control a game, because you don’t have as much time to learn certain tactics or general patterns of play. Guys like Kroos, Khedira and Özil, who have now played together for quite a while, do it naturally. France and Brazil on the other hand, don’t have nearly as much class and synergies in midfield. That’s why France were shit against weaker teams. They have no clue how to pressure opponents and how to free themselves from pressing.

That‘s why Sane is not that important and that’s why I have Spain and Germany as favorites.

meninred

The first thing that came to my mind is that it is something personal.

flappyjay

Look at Germany at the World Cup 2014

Neuer
Lahm Boateng Hummels Howedes
Khedira Schweinsteiger Kroos
Muller Ozil
Klose

Slow fullbacks, slow midfielders, slow attackers and still they coped very well and beat the favourites 7-1.
Sometimes it's about the speed of mind not the legs and that team is full of intelligent players

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
The first thing that came to my mind is that it is something personal.
It‘s not, Low has said he wants to make Sane a member of the team again after the world cup. He just hasn‘t worked out for Germany up until now and you need the proven thing in a tournament where you fight for everything.

Green_Red

Perhaps the EPL just isn't as strong as the media would have people believe. Sane's a good player, but the talk about him during this season was borderline bonkers.. Like Martial (although less so) he still has a way to go.

And with internationals, I've always thought that you prove yourself in friendlies, not with your club. If he's not done that (yet) then of course he shouldn't be an automatic pick. I always think England, and all the UK nations really, allow players into the international scene far too easily. The chat about that kid Sessegnon, who's not even playing in a top tier league, going to the world cup was fecking insanity.

Having said all that, I'm a little surprised.
4th place just got to the final of the CL... Even the media couldn't have made that up. Plus, England has the financial clout. Next 5 years and English teams dominate the CL again for a couple of seasons.

Last edited:

Green_Red

It‘s not, Low has said he wants to make Sane a member of the team again after the world cup. He just hasn‘t worked out for Germany up until now and you need the proven thing in a tournament where you fight for everything.
You also need to include your younger players for the experience, even if they don't play.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Hope the kid doesn't take it bad and suffers from a lack of confidence and, ultimately, form. Hes really talented and was one of the top wingers in the world last season :(

Tactically though, as I'm sure many of the German posters have already said, it makes sense to prefer Brandt since Low likes to play with inverted wingers rather than pure wingers; Sane is a pure winger.

That being said, I wouldve had him purely because hes an amazing talent and it wouldn't hurt to have some variety in our attack. If a team is playing a narrow defense, like a diamond midfield or 5 at the back, then it would have definitely helped to have someone who can stretch the defense.

Brandt is a good youngster himself but he also has Draxler infront of him, who would be a second option in case anything happens to Reus. Why not have someone different there then if you already have a back up?

He should be there.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
You also need to include your younger players for the experience, even if they don't play.
Well yeah he did just that:) He did not chose an older player instead of Sane, he went for Brandt who is the same age. He also mentioned Brandt being at the Confed Cup and Sane not being there as a factor.

BarcaSpurs

4th place just got to the final of the CL... Even the media couldn't have made that up. Plus, England has the financial clout. Next 5 years and English teams dominate the CL again for a couple of seasons.

Sane not getting into Germany's WC squad is an insult to the player. He was close second to Salah for player of the season for me, definitely should have been included.
Jesus :lol::houllier:

Dont think he was in the top 5 city players never mind 2nd in the league.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Brandt made it but not Leroy... This is a behind the scenes personal issue. Brandt isn't half the player Sane is.

Shimo

As a life long Germany supporter, am flabbergasted. He is an absolute game changer and I don't think anyone comes close to him on this stacked squad. Big mistake by Low

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
Brandt made it but not Leroy... This is a behind the scenes personal issue. Brandt isn't half the player Sane is.
Sane has 1 Scorer (a 4:1 against Azerbaijan) in 12 games for Germany...
Brandt doesn't have comparable scorers in the league but he isn't as prone to lose the ball as Sane is. He also has the advantage of being used to play as RA while Sane is pretty much just an option as LA and there is no way he will get ahead of Reus and Draxler (who isn't too great for PSG but has been very reliable for the german NT since last year).
At the moment even Werner would be a more sensible choice as LA (in case we would start with Gomez up top or use Müller there) so it really isn't THAT big a deal for the german NT. The outrage is really just based on Sane's performances for City while completely ignoring what he has done (or rather not done at all) for Germany and let me just say once more that Sane wasn't just "average" or even "invisible" in his games, he was outright awful everytime he got a chance and never looked like he knew what he was supposed to do (and I can't blame Löw, whatever anyone thinks about him but even guys like Podolski and Schürrle always looked decent enough under him).

marktan

Seen a bit of him play for Germany and didn't look great, so not a huge surprise. I think it's a case of him being used to Pep's system but not Germany's.

Kid's got all the talent in the world though and I fully expect him to grow into a monster of a player, he'll have plenty of chances in the Germany NT going forward.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If it's personal, Sane is in trouble. Low is there till 2022.

NoPace

Apparently he's played poorly for Germany, but Sane should probably have been in the squad in case you end up in a 120 minute game and you want some pace off the bench to run at dying fullbacks in extra time.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Over Ozil? Now come on that's just being ignorant.
Ozil has always delivered for Germany in all big competitions and was best passer both at a World Cup and an Euro.
Oh it is definitely debatable. Many reasons to pick either player. Club form must be one factor. I can see the viewpoint that international performances trump that, but Ozil has actually not been impressive in any brand of football over the last 6 months...

Green_Red

Jesus :lol::houllier:

Dont think he was in the top 5 city players never mind 2nd in the league.
No it wasnt him it was de bruyne wasn t it. Ive had a few clearly. He had a quality season all the same outside of his injury. Enough you would have thought to get to a world cup.

2plus2is4

Supports
Ze Germans
I think he would walk into every other side, wouldn't he?
At least he would be part of the squad...

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
As if historic bad performances mean that he'll always be shit. Kid had an excellent season for City and deserved to be in the squad, even if solely as a reserve.

Nostradamus

Can’t even predict the past
I would have taken Sane instead of Brandt for sure, as he offers something that most others dont..speed and a left foot, but his ego clearly needs a good slap.

Would have taken Leno instead of Trapp also. Its a laughable decision, as Trapp was not even playing and he made some really embarrassing blunders proving he has no control over the ball at all.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
As if historic bad performances mean that he'll always be shit. Kid had an excellent season for City and deserved to be in the squad, even if solely as a reserve.
I wouldn't call last Saturday historic.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Oh it is definitely debatable. Many reasons to pick either player. Club form must be one factor. I can see the viewpoint that international performances trump that, but Ozil has actually not been impressive in any brand of football over the last 6 months...
Yet Ozil delivers in big tournaments. So recent form would hardly matter

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
That's merely a friendly though.
For the team yes, for Sane it obviously was more than that. And it's not like that was the only match he got this season. Club performances get you in the team, NT performances let you stay there.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Wonder how many of those who now belittle Brandt have actually seen him play. Technically he is much better than Sane and his decision making is more mature. And it is not like Brandt is slow or anything.

I think this is again a case of the British obsession with pace. Sane is great and everything but he is still very, very raw and one dimensional.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Wonder how many of those who now belittle Brandt have actually seen him play. Technically he is much better than Sane and his decision making is more mature. And it is not like Brandt is slow or anything.

I think this is again a case of the British obsession with pace. Sane is great and everything but he is still very, very raw and one dimensional.
besides Brandt is more one for the right side as a replacement for Müller. On Sanes position are already Draxler and Sane and Löw know he can trust them (besides possible Reus injuries).

It's a hard call from Löw. but i think it's the right one. He had many chances for Germany and showed absolute nothing. Sometimes you think he doesn't care.

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
Brave call, but Sane has been horrible for us when playing. I was thinking a year ago that he is one of the most talented attacking players currently with a sky high ceiling but his bottom level is really horrible and I still stand by that. Comes across as quite full of himself, maybe that omission will benefit him alot on the long run.

Some of you guys are underrating Brandt. That guy is not much less talented than Sane if any.

Blackwidow

But Özil is not in competition with Sane. He might be with Reus or even Gündogan.

Brandt has been more relieable than Sane has.

Maybe it has to do with attitude, too. He did not want to start in the ConfedCup and had a nose job done that could have been made after it and parts of his tattoo. And Kroos' interview after the Brazil match in which he critisized some of the "second-row-players" that if they talk big they should show that in the matches, too, all thought that Sane and Gündogan were meant with that.

Some forget something - club performances are just the entrance ticket for your national team career - there you have to show that you match to the system and that you are able to perform there. That is why e.g. a Klose started even when he did not function for his club. There is examples for both - players that did not function in the club but for Germany and vice versa.

Honigstein about that topic:
http://www.espn.com/soccer/club/ger...ission-by-germany-makes-sense-for-joachim-low

Last edited: