Leroy Sane watch | Feb 2020: Returning to fitness with City's U23s

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Some serious sour grapes in the thread, Mane IMO will develop into an absolute worldy, he is head and shoulders above Sterling IMO.

Sensei

Supports
Dortmund
To be honest I don't think many of Citys players would look like the same world beaters outside of Peps system. Especially not the defenders .
Not very popular opinion because pep just buys superstar players

Toad

Agreed, absolutely useless. What a night to be shit. The reason he is so good usually is because all De Bruyne ever does is pass to him. De Bruyne must be well pissed with him tonight.

Trizy

He's good but massively overrated on here.

He got the same treatment Martial gets every game, doubled up on every time he's on the ball and basically nullifies him.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Yes very poor, looked dangerous but no actual end product. Been awesome this season, but poor tonight.

Zoo

He will regress when Pep gets tired and decides to leave.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Poor tonight but brilliant talent and would light up OT.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
He's good but massively overrated on here.

He got the same treatment Martial gets every game, doubled up on every time he's on the ball and basically nullifies him.
I was about to say. He is just as frustrating as Martial, extremely talented but his decision making is so inconsistent.

Utdstar01

He really struggles once he comes up against a full back who is as quick as him or physically stronger. e.g Fosu Mensah earlier this season.

RooneyLegend

He really struggles once he comes up against a full back who is as quick as him or physically stronger. e.g Fosu Mensah earlier this season.
True, but that's true for most wingers who dribble to the outside of players as they have to beat them for pace at the end of the day. He needs more variation to his game, an ability to go in and out, also not limit his movement to just standing on the touch line as he does as that harms productivity.

Kharhaz

Supports
Liverpool
True, but that's true for most wingers who dribble to the outside of players as they have to beat them for pace at the end of the day. He needs more variation to his game, an ability to go in and out, also not limit his movement to just standing on the touch line as he does as that harms productivity.
Rob Jones and Ryan Giggs springs to mind....

Utdstar01

His off the ball movement is very inconsistent. There were a number of occasions tonight where De Bruyne was looking for a diagonal ball to Sane but he just wasn't in position, one particular time when KDB just passed it out of play because Sane wasn't further up the pitch. You can't just rely on your pace and ability on the ball to spring defences, something that Martial should also learn sooner rather than later.

cyberman

He's not the second coming of Giggs he's made out to be but I'd worry if he becomes so ingrained in Peps methods that he becomes sterile outside of it.
It could hurt his development since there's only one manager in world football who plays that way.

Skills

Snitch
Played well at the start. Then it just got too predictable.

TheReligion

Abusive
Felt sorry for him tonight. It was clear all city planned to do was attack through Sane and Liverpool were on to this early on and doubled up on him. Instead of trying to mix it up and help Pep just left it for 90 minutes.

Why not switch flanks etc

Oscar.Z.Acosta

Felt sorry for him tonight. It was clear all city planned to do was attack through Sane and Liverpool were on to this early on and doubled up on him. Instead of trying to mix it up and help Pep just left it for 90 minutes.

Why not switch flanks etc
Speculation, of course, but I wonder if Pep’s ego won’t let him admit his initial thinking is ever wrong.

Utdstar01

Doesn’t really answer my Q; if the full back is faster and stronger, what can he do?
Well it does... his movement and runs need be a step ahead instead of him just waiting for the ball to come to him. There are ways to beat a defence without the ball too.

Tbh I wouldn't even say TAA is quicker than him, but most things he tried tonight didn't work.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Doesn’t really answer my Q; if the full back is faster and stronger, what can he do?
Play 1-2's with David Silva like he has most the season? He was terrible tonight, not because he was matched physically but because he shinned everything and he still got in and missed a simple volley from 6 yards. He also cut inside many times. His downfall tonight was controlling and using the ball like Aaron Lennon as opposed to struggling with someone faster and stronger.

montpelier

The contrast between Saturday & last night. Blimey.

He was so bad I think he actually deserves credit for keeping on trying & not hiding - Gabriel Jesus could have stayed hiding in the toilets for all his usefulness & will to win that was on display.

Rossa

Mix it up. If the fullback is faster, you can't go on the outside using just pace. However, you can either try to shimmy past, dribble past or use what space the fullback leaves. If speed and strength was all there is to it, then no winger would get past a player liker Jordi Alba or Valencia, and we know that not to be true.

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
He got himself in good positions and I thought got past TAA quite easily, but his final ball was horrendous. I stand by that he is one of the 3 most talented youngsters in the world, but also by far the rawest one. Can beat his man at will, has a good shot but his end product is horrible at times. He could go on a similar route to Ronaldo or doing a Nani, who knows.

Lawman

He got himself in good positions and I thought got past TAA quite easily, but his final ball was horrendous. I stand by that he is one of the 3 most talented youngsters in the world, but also by far the rawest one. Can beat his man at will, has a good shot but his end product is horrible at times. He could go on a similar route to Ronaldo or doing a Nani, who knows.
Dembele is up there in that bracket but his final ball can go a miss also. I find Sane’s Decision making to be very good at this stage in his career he’s seems to have a very good football brain from what I’ve saw.

Lawman

Play 1-2's with David Silva like he has most the season? He was terrible tonight, not because he was matched physically but because he shinned everything and he still got in and missed a simple volley from 6 yards. He also cut inside many times. His downfall tonight was controlling and using the ball like Aaron Lennon as opposed to struggling with someone faster and stronger.
Spot on but can’t understand why Pep didn’t replace him as he was way off his game from early on.

Chiken138

Supports
FC Bayern München
He was still the most dangerous player for city. Jesus de bruyne silva were absolutely shit

Skills

Snitch
He was still the most dangerous player for city. Jesus de bruyne silva were absolutely shit
Think it's harsh on Silva. He was playing well most of the game then seemed to run out of steam at the end.