Leroy Sane watch | Feb 2020: Returning to fitness with City's U23s

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Come on, Silva doubles up on that side all the time, its a nightmare for a full back.
All season, they've been utilising Delph brilliantly in conjunction with Sane down that flank. Then lo and behold, we get to the end game and Pep starts to overthink everything and starts making strange decisions tactically. Silva wasn't permanently down that flank, and he had to help in the centre too. A proper full back down that side would have given Sane a persistent overlap option and allowed Silva to make more penetrative runs down the centre.

Also Jesus, said it before but he's a glorified Hernandez. City need a new striker.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
All season, they've been utilising Delph brilliantly in conjunction with Sane down that flank. Then lo and behold, we get to the end game and Pep starts to overthink everything and starts making strange decisions tactically. Silva wasn't permanently down that flank, and he had to help in the centre too. A proper full back down that side would have given Sane a persistent overlap option and allowed Silva to make more penetrative runs down the centre.

Also Jesus, said it before but he's a glorified Hernandez. City need a new striker.
I had a discussion with a poster who said City are a better team with Jesus than with Aguero

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Most players around Sane/Martial's age are inconsistent. To be expected that he'll go through a bad spell at some point and he's being played through it as he's still one of their biggest threats.

Classical Mechanic

He's the invisible man.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He even had stats and everything. I told him that I prefered to trust my eyes and the most stat of goals scored
I'm sure it's total voteball or some thing like that.

Charles Miller

And a new left winger.

Skills

Snitch
Most players around Sane/Martial's age are inconsistent. To be expected that he'll go through a bad spell at some point and he's being played through it as he's still one of their biggest threats.
Tbf it's the same sort of guys who want Martial sold. So at least they're consistent.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think he had that argument with totalfootball or something, the dutch guy. Constantly says it. Aguero with one leg > jesus.
Yeah I remember that. Every tom dick harry thinks if they use some fancy words and Cruyff's name, they are some sort of gurus here.

Aguero is so much better player, it's ridiculous to even justify that.

RooneyLegend

He needs freedom of movement if he's to go up a level. Having him stationary out wide is a recipe for disaster when he runs into a defender that can actually handle him. Also he needs to shoot on his weaker foot more. He's one of those unique players who can cut in with their strongest foot facing the outside(Cristiano also could) but when a Ronaldo would then shoot, he looks somewhat clueless. Mind you I've seen him score a beautiful goal o his weaker foot.

He's still the one City player i'd love to have here, even after a bad week. He's so good running in behind down that left side and still only 22.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Not sure why whenever someone is dealt with tactically or there is too much pressure on a certain player to provide all the creativity in a side we start thinking they're inconsistent etc.

Sane played well but he was expected to a shit tonne of heavy lifting due to the set up of City. Even young Ronaldo or Messi would struggle in a system where they're pretty much stuck on a flank with little support. He looked sharp all game and did enough IMO but rest of the team especially Jesus was non existent. In fact I think Jesus was the main reason other than the lack of full backs that City were unable to turn the domination into clean cut chances on goal.

SambaBoy

Be stupid to choose Jesus over Aguero.

Aguero is one of the best strikers of this generation, and although he has lost some of his explosiveness, he still offers goals by the bucketload. Jesus is a good striker but I don't think he will ever reach Aguero's level, he doesn't have the unpredictability to his game.

Aguero at his best put fear into defenders and supporters. I remember in a derby game when we were leading, and everytime he got the ball I was afraid they were going to score even if he was 30 yards out. You could sense the panic in the defenders as well. Similar to Torres at Liverpool and R9 for Madrid. I don't think Jesus will ever have that impact, a very good player in a system though.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Germany announces squad with Sané being left out.

...at first glance it seems like a head scratcher with him being one of the top PL wingers but he hasn’t really gelled as well internationally for Germany.

Still, thought he’d warrant a bench spot given his talents. I guess not...Martial and now Sané, crazy.

Raw

I'm shocked at that. He's been outstanding this season. Even if he hasn't properly gelled with the team he should still be with the squad, gaining valuable experience.

MUFC OK

Looking at that group of midfielders, I wouldn't be surprised if Germany play a narrow diamond in midfield.

Reus is the only recognised winger in there and he can double up as a second striker or CAM. Sane is very much an out and out winger who hugs the touchline, so no sense taking him of they done plan to play with wingers.

Zoo

Another player elevated by City’s system who will regress when Pep leaves.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's a shocking decision no matter how you look at it. He would have been a fantastic player to bring on. The German team is already slow enough.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Do Germany have any proper wide players who have electric pace and can leave defenders with twisted blood? I can't recall anyone. If that is indeed the case, it's surprising to see him ommitted regardless of his integration.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Löw has chosen Brandt over Sane. Strange decision. I thought we could have a strong winger duo with Reus and Sane.

Probably he hasn't delivered at all in preparation time. But still i feel like he would be at least a good option to bring off the bench to add some pace. Our squad is really slow paced.

Martin(6)Buchan

The lad must be thinking what else can I do to get in the squad, like most very straange decision.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Looking at that group of midfielders, I wouldn't be surprised if Germany play a narrow diamond in midfield.

Reus is the only recognised winger in there and he can double up as a second striker or CAM. Sane is very much an out and out winger who hugs the touchline, so no sense taking him of they done plan to play with wingers.
All the more reason they should have taken him to provide an extra option in case Plan A fails. They've taken Rudy who isn't gonna play unless they have an injury crisis at CM, but even then Kimmich could have slotted in there with Boateng shifting to RB. Its a really weird move and could be telling against the likes of Spain where Germany won't be able to dominate through the middle and could have used genuine width.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Löw sets his left wingers up like forwards or playmakers. They must be able to play in the middle. Sane is not good at that. Sane is best playing as wide as possible. He needs to be able to attack his opponents while running, which won’t happen at the national team. It makes sense.
I’d have still nominated him. Just to have a different option. But from a tactical perspective, Draxler, Brandt and Reus all make more sense. Even Werner should be better in this particular role.
Bad luck for Sane, that’s it. His time in the national team will come.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Yeah! Can't imagine Brandt is better and Reuus doesn't have any form to fall on for about three years.
Not true. Reus is always delivering for BVB, but he was injured for most of the time. But if fit, he is still performing world class. I consider him our best offensive player in the squad.

izec

Brandt is not better, but fits Löws style better. He is more similar to Reus than Sane, but he is still a talented player.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Pretty amazing, he had the potential to be a star of the tournament, even if he hasn't really done it for the national side as yet. I would have taken him over Brandt, or even Ozil or Draxler.