Leroy Sane watch | Feb 2020: Returning to fitness with City's U23s

cyberman

A lot like to say Martial is in his level.... he's not
Different players though. A Goal scoring inside forward on the left who can dribble in tight spaces is as special as a world class winger that Sane will become Imo.
It's like comparing Robben to Nedved. Manchester has two of the 3 best young left sided forwards in Europe IMO.

Last edited:

Andersons Dietician

He was the player i’d Hoped LVG was going to buy if he’d seen out that summer. However Schalke played him on the right and that’s where I would have had him with Martial on the left.
Remember having conversations with some guy called 7isthemagicnumber who swore he was rubbish and would never amount to anything. Kept saying Carrasco was better having never seen him play. Think I saw he has just moved to China.

Anyway great to see a winger going at people and beating people for fun and delivering passes and crosses.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Like a one-footed Mason Greenwood....

Seriously though, Sane shows the impact that genuine width can have; Mahrez should be Mourinho’s number one target next summer. Even though he’s left footed, he stays wide right and can beat a man both ways.

Last edited:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Way better than Martial right now, and before some random guy pops up saying he plays in a more attacking system, just look what he did in this game by himself, taking on 3 and 4 guys and his passes have been on point..
He does play in a more attacking system. Sane has the ability to dribble out of tight spaces, but his effectiveness goes up a notch because he has support around him that can make runs and draw defenders away.

Greek9

Supports
Panathinaikos
He does play in a more attacking system. Sane has the ability to dribble out of tight spaces, but his effectiveness goes up a notch because he has support around him that can make runs and draw defenders away.
Doesnt excuse the fact that his decision making is 2 classes above martial, most of the times this season he didn't need to cooperate with anyone anyway, he just plain destroyed his opponents and proceed to score by himself, lots of times Martial has been on the left facing 1 or 2 defenders with open space and he either fails to dribble or his pass is way way off the target.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Doesnt excuse the fact that his decision making is 2 classes above martial, most of the times this season he didn't need to cooperate with anyone anyway, he just plain destroyed his opponents and proceed to score by himself, lots of times Martial has been on the left facing 1 or 2 defenders with open space and he either fails to dribble or his pass is way way off the target.
His decision making is better, yes.

Regarding the bolded, I disagree with you. He's had his moments of solo brilliance, sure, however I've lost count of the amount of times he's slipped into space left by a defender who's moved to cover a run from Silva or De Bruyne.

If you put him in our current side, he would have those moments of brilliance, but his effectiveness would reduce by a good amount. One only needs to look at Sanchez (someone who was supposed to "lift" our attack) for proof of what I'm saying. Individual quality is elevated by Pep's system.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Unplayable at times, Arsenal had no answer for the two Silvas, Sane and De Bruyne.

saivet

I criticised him for his slow start (because I'm bitter) but he's been quality this season. Didn't see the game, but just caught the goals and the run for the first goal was brilliant.

Also check out Mendy's instagram post

criticalanalysis

He was the player i’d Hoped LVG was going to buy if he’d seen out that summer. However Schalke played him on the right and that’s where I would have had him with Martial on the left.
Remember having conversations with some guy called 7isthemagicnumber who swore he was rubbish and would never amount to anything. Kept saying Carrasco was better having never seen him play. Think I saw he has just moved to China.

Anyway great to see a winger going at people and beating people for fun and delivering passes and crosses.
WTF?!!! He's gone to China?!!!
]
HOW WHY? WUTTT??

Fer

I still remember a transfer window when I wanted Sane and Dembele. We could have been a devastating with them in our wings.

Which young winger/attacking player do you think is as good as Sane?
Mbappe? Bailey? Asensio? Coman? Pulisic? Malcom? Dembele? Gabriel Jesus? Lemar? Kluivert?

padr81

Supports
Man City
I still remember a transfer window when I wanted Sane and Dembele. We could have been a devastating with them in our wings.

Mbappe? Bailey? Asensio? Coman? Pulisic? Malcom? Dembele? Gabriel Jesus? Lemar? Kluivert?
There are many as good as Sane but of the young ones not so many, Mbappe is better through the middle but I dunno on the wing. I genuinely think Martial could be as good. Dembele I thought was a little better but its hard to call. Depends on what you classify as young I suppose. The thing Sane has is his pace is ridiculous. He outsprints players like Bellerin etc... for fun. I know he's got sprinter genetics but that's what makes him so scary, he just seems that little bit quicker.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Definitely the City player I'm most jealous of. And possibly the PL player I'm most jealous of. Lightning in a bottle. Wonder if his composure, selflessness and pass selection will sustain post-Pep. He doesn't seem like the kind of player that should naturally be making so many of the right choices. If he plays like that for Germany this summer he'll have established himself as a potential ballon d'or winner in my view.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

Kluivert??:lol::lol:

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
He was great again yesterday. Now he only has to do that stuff in the dress of the German NT, that's not too much to ask, is it? :drool:

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Low would have to play him first.
I'm convinced he'll take him. I mean, what other great winger do we have? Werner can play something similar, but then it's only Reus, and I would never build my hopes for a tournament on him, he barely manages to stay fit for 90 minutes on end.
(Forgot about Gnabry, but he has never been as good or as consistent as the others so far.)

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Definitely the City player I'm most jealous of. And possibly the PL player I'm most jealous of. Lightning in a bottle. Wonder if his composure, selflessness and pass selection will sustain post-Pep. He doesn't seem like the kind of player that should naturally be making so many of the right choices. If he plays like that for Germany this summer he'll have established himself as a potential ballon d'or winner in my view.
You are, like most, overestimating Pep. He's not some kind of magician. He'll be fine without him.

Classical Mechanic

You are, like most, overestimating Pep. He's not some kind of magician. He'll be fine without him.
Finally, someone with some sense.

People forget that Barca have gone on to higher points totals in the league than Pep ever achieved under two different managers since left. Both managers having very little managerial pedigree at the top level.

It's called having the best player(s).

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Pep has definitely helped but I think at this point he wouldn't really regress if Pep was to go.. he's hit that point where he just knows the game now and I can only see him getting better regardless of who he is playing for and under.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Having to endure his stuborness and the absolute lack of attacking creativity sometimes takes the magic away. I can also absolutely see him becoming another van Gaal later in his career.
Welcome to the Twilight Zone :lol:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I'm convinced he'll take him. I mean, what other great winger do we have? Werner can play something similar, but then it's only Reus, and I would never build my hopes for a tournament on him, he barely manages to stay fit for 90 minutes on end.
Come on Germans, give us your starting attacking line-up

--------Kroos----Khedira---------
----------Gundogan---------------
Muller--------Werner-----------Reus

Keeping Gundogan there because neither Kroos nor Khedira are pure DM's so we can not afford to play an attacking midfielder who doesn't track back like Ozil. The midfield 3 would be reminisent of the WC'14 midfield, who were one of the major reasons we won.

The RW position will be hotly contested. It could go to Sane, Ozil or Muller. I would actually prefer Sane on the left because playing down the right restricts him to only cutting in, on the left he can attack the byline or cut into the middle, brings more questions in the defenders mind. That being said, if Reus is fit he is always going to start of me, the most complete attacking player for Germany this decade.

Righteous Steps

Nope. Pep could coach him up. Sane is just silky class. At this moment, Sane's better and his projected trajectory is higher.
Don't see no evidence for that, Martials had a great season despit being in an awkward attacking setup, technically Martial is probably better and tactically I do think there is much between them also...

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Come on Germans, give us your starting attacking line-up

--------Kroos----Khedira---------
----------Gundogan---------------
Muller--------Werner-----------Reus

Keeping Gundogan there because neither Kroos nor Khedira are pure DM's so we can not afford to play an attacking midfielder who doesn't track back like Ozil. The midfield 3 would be reminisent of the WC'14 midfield, who were one of the major reasons we won.

The RW position will be hotly contested. It could go to Sane, Ozil or Muller. I would actually prefer Sane on the left because playing down the right restricts him to only cutting in, on the left he can attack the byline or cut into the middle, brings more questions in the defenders mind. That being said, if Reus is fit he is always going to start of me, the most complete attacking player for Germany this decade.
if the Pope converts to Buddhism...

Sane will play LW, Müller RW and Werner CF. As long as they are fit, their positions will be fairly uncontested.
CM will be the only interesting area. Kroos and Özil are undisputed, but the 3rd position could see some good competition, and variety. I see Khedira, Gündogan, Goretzka, and Draxler being the main contenders. All 4 are pretty different player types, so it might boil down to opposition based decisions.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
if the Pope converts to Buddhism...

Sane will play LW, Müller RW and Werner CF. As long as they are fit, their positions will be fairly uncontested.
CM will be the only interesting area. Kroos and Özil are undisputed, but the 3rd position could see some good competition, and variety. I see Khedira, Gündogan, Goretzka, and Draxler being the main contenders. All 4 are pretty different player types, so it might boil down to opposition based decisions.
Don't you think having a two man midfield without any pure DM's with Ozil upfront will leave us too vunreable on the counter? Unless we adopt a counter attacking strategy ourselves, which I doubt. In 2014 we played Ozil at RW for this reason, so that we could play Schweinsteiger-Kroos-Khedira and provide that solid base in midfield. I think we should aim to continue that.

If Kroos and Ozil are going to play, then I would go with Khedira rather than Goretzka, Gundogan, Draxler. He has the best combination of experience, work rate and quality. Goretzka would come second.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Do you want to deny that in a lot of games in the second half of the season, we looked like Van Gaal v2? I'm always amazed how many people thee who seem t think he could do NOTHING wrong...
Well, yes there were weaker games in between, just as we see them now. Or how would you describe the last match vs Hertha? Was that a display of attacking creativity?
Don't you think it being *slightly* silly (it's batshit insane)to accuse Pep of all things stifling the attacking creativity of his teams when they always end up with an enormous goal tally?
Oh my, why have I allowed myself to be lured into your usual bullshit cycle? :rolleyes:

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
(Forgot about Gnabry, but he has never been as good or as consistent as the others so far.)
I guess the plan right now is
Werner
Ozil/X X/Ozil Muller
Khedira Kroos

I guess the X could be Sane´s spot, if Low wants to play Ozil through the middle. Other options would include Reus and Gotze with one possibly playing as a false nine. I´m just saying at the moment Sane is not guaranteed a starting spot, although he probably should be, unless Reus can finally stay healthy.

EDIT: Completely forgot about Draxler, who really seems to have taken the next step at PSG. All these options.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Well, yes there were weaker games in between, just as we see them now. Or how would you describe the last match vs Hertha? Was that a display of attacking creativity?
Don't you think it being *slightly* silly (it's batshit insane)to accuse Pep of all things stifling the attacking creativity of his teams when they always end up with an enormous goal tally?
Oh my, why have I allowed myself to be lured into your usual bullshit cycle? :rolleyes:
I know you love him and I know you think he's perfect, there's really no point to this discussion. I stand by my opinion that his tactical stuborness cost us a good Champions League campaign during his tenure.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Would Sane be as effective on the right? It seems like he really enjoys flying back and forth on that left wing.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
I know you love him and I know you think he's perfect, there's really no point to this discussion. I stand by my opinion that his tactical stuborness cost us a good Champions League campaign during his tenure.
No, I don't. I just see him as an excellent manager, who had us play some fantastic football for 3 years. You're the one with he extremist view on him, not I. Well, at least you're delivering the reason for your agenda right away.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Agendas are so fecking boring. Get a new obsession. Just to clarify, I did not imply Guardiola is a magician. Rather it was your assumption about what everyone else thinks about him that led you to interpret it that way. I think he has a lot of flaws too.

However it's abundantly clear that one of his strengths is in his ability to get teams to play aggressive, attacking possession football with an emphasis on making the right pass in key areas. He constantly berated Aguero for not doing that, and over time he has become much more likely to play that pass to his team-mate in the final third than go on a mazy run. That doesn't mean he has magically turned Aguero into David Silva with speed, he's still very selfish, direct and plays with his head down often. But he does that a lot less because Guardiola forced him to, by dropping him for players that would do exactly as he asked, even when Aguero was scoring goals for fun. The overall transformation of City is not hard to see, and the way they've transformed is entirely in keeping with his preferred style of play.

I believe the same to be true of Sane. He recognises the expectations that Guardiola places on all of his players on playing the right pass in the right areas, and that even for attacking players with sparking individual talent, just doing your own thing won't guarantee your place in the team. And the fact that everyone is singing from the same hymnsheet on that front makes it a lot easier to play those passes, because people then make the right runs, and the whole thing because instinctive and natural. Playing under Mourinho he wouldn't have the same expectations placed on him, nor would he have the same number of players in those positions to combine with, so he'd very much be encouraged to be individualistic.

Both Guardiola and Mourinho are at either end of that spectrum, and most managers Sane will play under hereafter (including Low) will be very much in the middle. So when he has those demands removed and he reverts to his natural game, it's entirely plausible that he'll be much more like Giggs than Figo in his decision-making and pass selection. If he ends up combining the best of them both then he's going to be a very special player.