Leroy Sane watch | Feb 2020: Returning to fitness with City's U23s

Rossa

Rooney up until 2014 was rapid
He was fast, but no way was he one of the fastest players in the world - faster than a prime Robben? No way! However, our counter attacking style meant that some of our players would reach close to their top speed compared to other teams that played differently. Rooney was never mentioned by Ferguson as one of his fastest players. I'm pretty sure that Rio, before his injuries, would easily outpace him. When Valencia arrived at the club, Rooney said as much that if he could get one attribute from any player, he would want Valencia's sheer speed; Valencia was clearly faster, for instance.

Classical Mechanic

He was fast, but no way was he one of the fastest players in the world - faster than a prime Robben? No way! However, our counter attacking style meant that some of our players would reach close to their top speed compared to other teams that played differently. Rooney was never mentioned by Ferguson as one of his fastest players. I'm pretty sure that Rio, before his injuries, would easily outpace him. When Valencia arrived at the club, Rooney said as much that if he could get one attribute from any player, he would want Valencia's sheer speed; Valencia was clearly faster, for instance.
Rooney was always on of the fastest when it came to top speed and was quick off the mark but he wasn't in the very top tier over short distances.

BigdaftGorby

So Sane our for an undetermined amount of time? So in other words he will be back next week?
Got to make it out as worse than it is, that’s what Pep does.

Apparently KDB was crocked but managed a miracle return by playing his very next day.

Trizy

He clearly try hurt Sane. No one goes in studs up in a slide tackle to win the ball and you can't use the excuse ''I didn't mean to''.

There is no need to ever go sliding in studs first. It's way easier to control the direction you want the ball to go by going in laces (toe pointed in front of the ball) or side foot first. If you mistime it and connect with the player, worst thing that happens is you trip them.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He clearly try hurt Sane. No one goes in studs up in a slide tackle to win the ball and you can't use the excuse ''I didn't mean to''.

There is no need to ever go sliding in studs first. It's way easier to control the direction you want the ball to go by going in laces (toe pointed in front of the ball) or side foot first. If you mistime it and connect with the player, worst thing that happens is you trip them.
This is so wrong on many levels it looks like you only ever played 5s mate.

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
It's not about "replacing" Sane, it is about getting another LW to rotate/backup with Sane. Simply because no player (no matter how good they are) can play 60+ games a season (1) and remain consistantly good across every single game that they play. Hence why we needed (and still need) Sanchez and hence why we need Hazard as well. (2).

I have to disagree mate, if you sign Hazard he is starting over Sane in the majority of games and quite possibly hindering his progress, there is no way you can give each player enough minutes to keep them both happy

Andrew Wolf

Supports
Manchester City
So Sane our for an undetermined amount of time? So in other words he will be back next week?

Apparently KDB was crocked but managed a miracle return by playing his very next day.
You say that as if it was some conspiracy. The fact was, De Bruyne thought he had been seriously injured and the club doctors and physios treated it as such by putting his leg in a splint and taking him to the ambulance. On arrival at the ambulance, he was assessed further and the pain began to subside. If you have ever been kicked firmly in the calf you'd know it can be a very odd sensation. Think of severe cramp and multiply it.

There are still some theories on here that Jesus has made a miracle recovery yet one month on from his injury occurring and he is not yet back in training. A 4-6 week injury as was stated very early once the injury was diagnosed

Reactions: Penna

Trizy

This is so wrong on many levels it looks like you only ever played 5s mate.
Played CB since under 12's. RB the past 4 seasons. I'm 28 now, I know a thing or two about defending/tackling. I've never had to go in studs up to win the ball.

So then Maldini, care to explain why you disagree on ''many levels''? Or you just disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing.

BigdaftGorby

You say that as if it was some conspiracy. The fact was, De Bruyne thought he had been seriously injured and the club doctors and physios treated it as such by putting his leg in a splint and taking him to the ambulance. On arrival at the ambulance, he was assessed further and the pain began to subside. If you have ever been kicked firmly in the calf you'd know it can be a very odd sensation. Think of severe cramp and multiply it.

There are still some theories on here that Jesus has made a miracle recovery yet one month on from his injury occurring and he is not yet back in training. A 4-6 week injury as was stated very early once the injury was diagnosed
I stand by my conspiracy ;)

Greck

I have to disagree mate, if you sign Hazard he is starting over Sane in the majority of games and quite possibly hindering his progress, there is no way you can give each player enough minutes to keep them both happy
Pretty misguided mentality he's showing. Like it's normal to bring best player in the league material to be emergency backup/squad rotation options. Sanchez didn't want to get benched and neither will any top player. These guys really let Pep do their thinking for them

charlie9882

KDB wasn't diagnosed with ankle ligament damage, as City have confirmed. I would imagine he'll be out for at least 4 weeks, most likely 6.

KDB was on the receiving end of a challenge that looked much worse than it was and there were worries that it was bad until they did further tests that showed it was fine and reported as such.

Norris

To be honest, that tackle on Sane (based on the image a few pages ago) is shocking. Lucky Sane's foot was not planted, else it could have been far worse. That's such a despicable act and deserves red.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Seeing the tackle again it should've obviously been a red card, but when I saw it live it just looked like a cynical trip to stop the attack, it happened really fast.

My initial reaction to seeing Sane rolling around was "what, how has he been hurt there?" Then I saw the replay on was like "Ooohh, I see."
That's how i saw it on first viewing too. A textbook yellow to break up an attack became something that ought to have been a straight red on replay. VAR isn't to everybody's liking but the right decision would have been reached pretty quickly.

Lawman

Played CB since under 12's. RB the past 4 seasons. I'm 28 now, I know a thing or two about defending/tackling. I've never had to go in studs up to win the ball.

So then Maldini, care to explain why you disagree on ''many levels''? Or you just disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing.
I’m really sorry I wasn’t being how you perceive I was. I respect all opinions on here equally as possible buddy so sorry if it came across like that.

I was no Maldini although I did play senior for over a decade and I completely disagree with you about slide tackling as you get injured tackling the way you are saying and sometimes you have no option but to slide studs up.

If you played up in Scotland or England 2nd division (I played there too) you’d be eaten alive slide tackling with toe stretched out.

As someone who lectures at university on sports injuries of the lower limb it’s one way to easily get injured. Your 3 peroneals (tertius brevis and longus) are at serious risk as you’d have them fully extended.

Your Ankle ligaments (3 lateral mostly) are fully extended also. Any block and these 3 ligaments won’t take too much load.
Maybe I’m picturing the way you mean differently but it’s just so wrong on that many levels that I had to disagree.

I’m not saying you can’t tackle like you are saying but imagine a winger going bye you at full back (it has happened to us all lol) he’s level pegging with you so you slide tackle him. It’s the studs you’d use for connection.

Or Imagine a ball drooping between you and the full back and it’s a 60/40 his favour but you are quicker but to get it you need to slide on one knee it’s suerly the studs you’d go with?

Please don’t come back with comments like last time as I’m genuinely interested in your opinion as it’s quite interesting for a Tuesday morning. ;)

Trizy

I’m really sorry I wasn’t being how you perceive I was. I respect all opinions on here equally as possible buddy so sorry if it came across like that.

I was no Maldini although I did play senior for over a decade and I completely disagree with you about slide tackling as you get injured tackling the way you are saying and sometimes you have no option but to slide studs up.

If you played up in Scotland or England 2nd division (I played there too) you’d be eaten alive slide tackling with toe stretched out.

As someone who lectures at university on sports injuries of the lower limb it’s one way to easily get injured. Your 3 peroneals (tertius brevis and longus) are at serious risk as you’d have them fully extended.

Your Ankle ligaments (3 lateral mostly) are fully extended also. Any block and these 3 ligaments won’t take too much load.
Maybe I’m picturing the way you mean differently but it’s just so wrong on that many levels that I had to disagree.

I’m not saying you can’t tackle like you are saying but imagine a winger going bye you at full back (it has happened to us all lol) he’s level pegging with you so you slide tackle him. It’s the studs you’d use for connection.

Or Imagine a ball drooping between you and the full back and it’s a 60/40 his favour but you are quicker but to get it you need to slide on one knee it’s suerly the studs you’d go with?

Please don’t come back with comments like last time as I’m genuinely interested in your opinion as it’s quite interesting for a Tuesday morning. ;)
You'd be surprised on many people call others out in the Caf with no reasoning or logic behind it, thought it was another case of that. Clearly not. :)

I can't say I've ever injured my ankle tackling riskily as you've put it above by pointing my toe out in front of the ball. In fact I've never even hurt it in any way and I have a glass ankle! (Unrelated tackling injuries).

Maybe it's because I'm fast I never had to chop down the winger. In fact, I fail to see how I would ever need to go in studs up, honestly. Usually if they skimmed past me, I'd catch up with them and slide if needs be in front of the ball, clearing it out of play or hooking it. I'd leave my leading foot upwards to take out the winger too, legally but unethically (that's a different story though :lol:).

Only time I've ever been injured in a tackle is a 50/50 ball when both me and the other player didn't pull out of kicking it towards each other.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
If he misses the world cup because if this I'll be seriously annoyed. :mad:
It would be a real shame if he did. City's record with injuries you wouldn't rule him out being back for CL. Maybe we will be proved wrong. I am hedging my bets here. :lol:

NoLogo

Hasn't Pep encouraged nasty cynical tackling this season by coaching tactical fouls? Tactical foul basically means don't let your man get past you and take him out if you have to.
You reap what you sow.

Not nice for Sane, and I hope the lad recovers soon but his manager is a hypocrite.
I don't think that's what was meant when people criticized City's cynical fouling. The problem that other managers saw that City made a lot of small fouls like holding players immediately after losing the ball so as not to run into counter attacks and almost always escaped the yellow card that usually has to follow a foul that is committed to interrupt counter attacks because they made it look like a "light" foul.

Lawman

You'd be surprised on many people call others out in the Caf with no reasoning or logic behind it, thought it was another case of that. Clearly not. :)

I can't say I've ever injured my ankle tackling riskily as you've put it above by pointing my toe out in front of the ball. In fact I've never even hurt it in any way and I have a glass ankle! (Unrelated tackling injuries).

Maybe it's because I'm fast I never had to chop down the winger. In fact, I fail to see how I would ever need to go in studs up, honestly. Usually if they skimmed past me, I'd catch up with them and slide if needs be in front of the ball, clearing it out of play or hooking it. I'd leave my leading foot upwards to take out the winger too, legally but unethically (that's a different story though :lol:).

Only time I've ever been injured in a tackle is a 50/50 ball when both me and the other player didn't pull out of kicking it towards each other.
This bit here is interesting as this would cause an injury if you slid in (or stood and block tackle say with your foot fully extended and blocked/tackled with the lateral (outside) of your foot buddy. It’s impossible to block with outside without taking heavy impact on so many structures that are already fully extended and under severe load/stress. I’ve been injured a few times like this and was a regular and consistent injury that we see both when I played and in clinic nowadays.
Can I ask if you pass with the outside of your foot most the time? As I’ve come across a few players like this with very suppinated feet (Peas cavus/high arched). That are a complete exception to the rule.

Luis DC

Supports
Universidad de Chile
I don't think that's what was meant when people criticized City's cynical fouling. The problem that other managers saw that City made a lot of small fouls like holding players immediately after losing the ball so as not to run into counter attacks and almost always escaped the yellow card that usually has to follow a foul that is committed to interrupt counter attacks because they made it look like a "light" foul.
but one thing doesn't have relation to the other or can justify nasty tackles. That city or any other club makes the so-called tactical fouls is no reason to go chopping other players as annoying that those fouls can be. At least those fouls are not meant to injure people.

You know who is a big fan of those fouls? Sampaoli, the coach of Argentina, if you face them in the world cup be aware of that. I know because Chile practise those fouls a lot, in special with Uruguay :-)

Mister_Stubbs

Time out unknown.. translates to “we’ll send him to our guru in Barcelona for some ‘treatment’ and he’ll be back in a couple of weeks”.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Time out unknown.. translates to “we’ll send him to our guru in Barcelona for some ‘treatment’ and he’ll be back in a couple of weeks”.
No, "Time out unknown" is usually the line clubs give when the type of injury is clear but the severity isn't.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
De Bruyne came back from a broken leg in 48 hours. Sane would have been fine.
Out for 6-7 weeks with ankle ligament damage, but at least you got a joke out of it.

BigdaftGorby

Out for 6-7 weeks with ankle ligament damage, but at least you got a joke out of it.
Yeah because the bitters really sympathise when we have injuries.
Not arsed how long he’s out for, he cries wolf that much sooner or later he was going to get a bad injury and nobody will think it’s serious.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
This bit here is interesting as this would cause an injury if you slid in (or stood and block tackle say with your foot fully extended and blocked/tackled with the lateral (outside) of your foot buddy. It’s impossible to block with outside without taking heavy impact on so many structures that are already fully extended and under severe load/stress. I’ve been injured a few times like this and was a regular and consistent injury that we see both when I played and in clinic nowadays.
Can I ask if you pass with the outside of your foot most the time? As I’ve come across a few players like this with very suppinated feet (Peas cavus/high arched). That are a complete exception to the rule.
Would it be fair to assume that the foot locked at 90 degrees is typically the safest position, which is why it's the position it gets strapped in when rehabbing ankle sprains or torn ligaments?

Chiken138

Supports
FC Bayern München
That will hurt city so much. Impossible to replace a player who open up defences that hard.

United can catch city!

NoLogo

but one thing doesn't have relation to the other or can justify nasty tackles. That city or any other club makes the so-called tactical fouls is no reason to go chopping other players as annoying that those fouls can be. At least those fouls are not meant to injure people.

You know who is a big fan of those fouls? Sampaoli, the coach of Argentina, if you face them in the world cup be aware of that. I know because Chile practise those fouls a lot, in special with Uruguay :-)
I'm definitely not in favor of nasty tackles, I was just trying to correct the poster I responded to becuase he made it sound like City do nasty tackles all the time, which they don't, and it was just coming back to bite them in the ass. So I'm totally not in favor of overly hard tackles.

Rossa

Rooney was always on of the fastest when it came to top speed and was quick off the mark but he wasn't in the very top tier over short distances.
He never was, really. He had a good top speed, but it seems strange to argue that he had great explosiveness off the mark, great top speed, but not very good in short distances - what the heck happened with the in-between speed there?

At his prime, I recall him chasing down Solomon Kalou down the left, and he did catch up with him after a while, but Kalou was pretty fast. Just moments later in the match, however, there was almost a blue copy of the same chase, only with Fabio chasing Kalou, and he caught up with him much quicker than Rooney managed. When Rooney said himself that we would very much like the sheer speed of Valencia, that implies that he himself was never that fast. He was quick, surprisingly so for his frame, but he was never Robben fast, Giggs fast, Overmars, Ronaldo etc. Players like Nani, Evra, Rio were all faster as well.

Lawman

Would it be fair to assume that the foot locked at 90 degrees is typically the safest position, which is why it's the position it gets strapped in when rehabbing ankle sprains or torn ligaments?
Technically it doesn’t lock at 90 degrees but yes your theory is correct although not all ankles are strapped at 90% in fact less and less

1Manchester

Supports
Manchester City
Bear in mind that since City are (supposedly) aiming for a Quadruple every season it would mean at the very least Hazard would be playing at least 30-33 games a season, a figure that does not take into account any possible injuries, illnesses, suspensions, personal issues and fatigue issues that Sane might end up from suffering from (and thus mean Hazard will have play additional games as well) across a whole season as well as any "creative" substitutions that Pep might do for certain games.

Likewise that 30-33 games a season figure does not include all the international games Hazard (as one of the best players of his country) he will also be playing at the same time plus the fact that under Pep he will have to play at a high level of performance in all games (1), especially since there are few if any teams that are just going to let us walk all over them (2). So if Hazard feels that 34-40 (including substitution appearances) games of playing at his absolute best every season is not enough game time for him, then (if I was in Pep's shoes) I would be asking serious questions on how much he is doping, more likely he might be asking the manager to play fewer games under those circumstances.

Because as I keep saying, no player no matter how good they are can play 60+ games a season and still maintain a high level of performance game after game, season after season.

United can catch city!
As a City Fan I would not disagree, however what I have also said (less frequently) is that United cannot afford to make any more mistakes if they are to overtake us in the title race, hence why the Spurs result was cock-up they could not afford to make. Still even despite that, our failure to get even Mahrez, Sanchez and others this transfer window has opened up the title race more than it was the case before Christmas.

(1) There is a good reason why the City team has been running out of steam of late, which is basically because the squad has been putting a whole seasons worth of effort across half a season.

(2) And I for one would want them to give us a hard time as well, since I would rather win trophies on the basis of hard effort and skill and not due to favours from other teams.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
Very unfortunate injury for him and the club. They will struggle to create the natural width in the left as the left back doesn't do it. This is somewhat alleviated by Laporte being able to switch the ball to the right flank as he is left footed.

IrishRedDevil

City love to make a big song and dance about player injuries.

He is back running already, after 12 days.

Ankle ligament damage my arse. Drama queens.