Leroy Sane watch | Feb 2020: Returning to fitness with City's U23s

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain

Yellow card offense?

Then you wonder why few of the very top players come to play in England.

Ainu

When managers say their players should be 'protected', what does that really mean? It's basically asking for preferential treatment.

A referee can only act retrospectively, by which time the damage is done.

Every player is fair game, no matter who they are or who they play for. It's impossible to cut cynical tackles out of the game.

And besides, Pep might not have enjoyed quite so much success had he not spent years instructing his players to fell the opposition when they're countering. :)
Well the player was allowed to stay on the pitch after a shocker of a tackle and went on to lunge at another player later on. So technically, making the correct call after the first tackle wouldn't just have had a retrospective effect, it would've prevented further potential damage. Another thing would be the discouraging effect it would have on other players if such tackles were punished accordingly.

Having said that, if the ref missed the severity of the tackle there's not really much more you can say. He should spot such things but misses are only human.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It's irrelevant to the overall discussion whether Sane is back in 2 days or 2 months. That tackle offered no reason for overreaction or exaggeration. It's quite simply an obvious red card. Personally, I think such fouls merit harsher suspension than the 3 games.

It's not about what Pep says either. Incidentally, I see plenty of people (Twitter) posting pictures of Aguero's savage lunge on David Luiz. Remember thinking at the time that such an obviously ill-intentioned foul should see a 10 game ban, minimum.

I reckon people here would be livid to see such a foul committed against Sanchez, regardless of how long he'd be out for. And rightly so. There should be no place for this in the game. And when it happens, it should be dealt with accordingly.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Will he get a tatoo of this event as well?

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.

Yellow card offense?

Injuries happen in every league.

English teams thrive on competition. I’m not defending the defender whatsoever here, there is definitely a way to be competitive, athletic and skillful but things like this happen in contested matches.

Many players come to the EPL and England, to be tested. It’s probably the most entertaining league (definitely in my eyes) to watch, along with their cups, and players get injured most weekends.

These players also get get paid millions. I played football last Wednesday and cracked two ribs in a challenge - no one is wishing me a swift recovery even though I’ve taken a few days off unpaid which will feck me over this month money wise.

Unfortunate injury for Leroy. Not that arsed. He will be back in a few months, hopefully they lose every game without him.

Also add I think he is a top class player. I hope he recovers well from it but I can’t wish him well, form wise, with city.

tomaldinho1

Annoying that this happens all the time but because the press love Pep, it's now actually being discussed.

That said, if ever there was a chance for VAR to prove it's worth. Have someone with a direct link to the ref, as in rugby, who can say 'next time the ball goes out, you might want to have a look on the big screen at that challenge on Sane' or 'before you decide, I recommend you look on the big screen because we think that's a red card offense'. Then the flow isn't as interrupted and when it's clear (as in this case) swift justice for the offender.

You can't stop idiotic challenges but you can make sure players on't keep getting away with bad tackles that endanger another player's career.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
That isn't much to do with the challenges though, Real and Barca are just the sexist clubs in world football.
Missing an e?

Lot to do with climate and language as well. A lot of the top players are South American/Spanish/Portuguese etc and so Spain is a more tempting place to live coupled with the fact that most of the CL winners in the last 10 years are one of the big 2.

Spirit of Solskjaer

Seeing the tackle again it should've obviously been a red card, but when I saw it live it just looked like a cynical trip to stop the attack, it happened really fast.

My initial reaction to seeing Sane rolling around was "what, how has he been hurt there?" Then I saw the replay on was like "Ooohh, I see."

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain

English teams thrive on competition. I’m not defending the defender whatsoever here, there is definitely a way to be competitive, athletic and skillful but things like this happen in contested matches.
Accidents happen but that kind of studs up challenge directly aimed at the leg in a top league only happens with regularity in England.

It is also standard anywhere in the world to hand a red card for a career breaking challenge and add a long ban afterwards. Except in England.

Greck

Slightly unrelated but do people really think there's any PED on planet earth that can turn a 6 month injury to 2 weeks? Those cases are always just a case of a misdiagnosed first opinion.

I mean I agree Pep is shady but let's avoid throwing misinformation or we'll look like sour grapes

Classical Mechanic

Accidents happen but that kind of studs up challenge directly aimed at the leg in a top league only happens with regularity in England.

It is also standard anywhere in the world to hand a red card for a career breaking challenge and add a long ban afterwards. Except in England.
What like when Luke Shaw had his leg broken in two places in the Champions League and the PSV player got a yellow card?

The Sane challenge didn't even look that bad in real time either as every who saw it will confirm. The still photo makes it look worse too.

Luis DC

Supports
Universidad de Chile

Many players come to the EPL and England, to be tested. It’s probably the most entertaining league (definitely in my eyes) to watch, along with their cups, and players get injured most weekends.

These players also get get paid millions. I played football last Wednesday and cracked two ribs in a challenge - no one is wishing me a swift recovery even though I’ve taken a few days off unpaid which will feck me over this month money wise.

Unfortunate injury for Leroy. Not that arsed. He will be back in a few months, hopefully they lose every game without him.

Also add I think he is a top class player. I hope he recovers well from it but I can’t wish him well, form wise, with city.
You are right, injuries happen in every league but are far more often in England and I think that the referees in England are much more "tolerant" (way too much) with this fouls that risk the players' career. You can find these fouls in all Tournaments, in other Leagues, you can find maybe worst ones, but they are usually sanctioned harder and faster than the Premier. Someone can maybe mention some examples of hard plays not punished properly, but they are not the norm.

I don't know if the referees in the Premier assume a goodwill in all players, but some cases border negligence, KDB is lucky to be in one piece, he recovers fast, but some of the tackles he suffered were really nasty, like this one with Sane, Alexis was lucky too, I don't remember the name of the player of Yeovil who tried to kick him out of the field, he suffered those when he was in arsenal too and we can go on and on with examples for every team.

I full support intensity and give all in the field, but these plays that we are talking about don't fit in that category and doesn't help to attract more stars to the Premier.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling

You're talking out of your arse. Clearly the ref didn't see the full extent of the challenge otherwise it would have been a straight red. It just looked like a cynical take down from his POV. You make it sound like the Premier League is the Wild West ffs.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff

What is this?

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
What like when Luke Shaw had his leg broken in two places in the Champions League and the PSV player got a yellow card?

The Sane challenge didn't even look that bad in real time either as every who saw it will confirm. The still photo makes it look worse too.
The PSV guy went for the ball, that was an accident and would have gone completely unnoticed if not for the leg break.

I understand that it will be an unpopular opinion around here though.

Classical Mechanic

The PSV guy went for the ball, that was an accident and would have gone completely unnoticed if not for the leg break.

Behave lad. He cleaned him out and snapped his leg in two by crushing it with his trailing leg. It was a lot worse than that challenge on Sane that had far less force on the leg.

I mean FFS watch his trailing leg!?

Member 90887

He should have been banned afterwards even if he had a yellow in the game, disgusting.

The White Pele

I think the defender's intention was to commit a cynical foul rather than a dangerous one but he was always stretching.

Awful challenge when you see the pictures.

There wasn't much outrage in the media on Friday though when Sanchez was getting targeted.

Member 90887

If you don't mind, who do you support?

Because so far, you have said that :
  • Good players come to the PL mainly for the money, and they leave as soon as they become Top players or world class. Which obviously isn't true.
  • Referees in Other leagues would've given a red card for this challenge, but not the PL? Which obviously is a stupid statement, if the ref saw it, he would've given the correct card.
  • While bashing the PL and The tackle on Sane, you say that the tackle on Shaw was an accident while it was clearly less of an accident than the tackle on Sane.
You've got some agenda going there mate.

diplomat

It's so obvious that the posts made by you are agenda-driven. The clip above shows how Moreno clatters Shaw's right leg with his left one and snaps it. It was nowhere near the ball, which the Mexican cleared with his other leg.

Reckless play is a definite red card, especially when it leads to a double leg-break.

James Peril

Yellow card offense?

There are no top players in England? Please show me the league that has more top players than England! Real and Barca are not getting players because of tackles in the Premier League, and Italy/Germany sure as hell don’t have more top players.

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.

You are right, injuries happen in every league but are far more often in England and I think that the referees in England are much more "tolerant" (way too much) with this fouls that risk the players' career. You can find these fouls in all Tournaments, in other Leagues, you can find maybe worst ones, but they are usually sanctioned harder and faster than the Premier. Someone can maybe mention some examples of hard plays not punished properly, but they are not the norm.

I don't know if the referees in the Premier assume a goodwill in all players, but some cases border negligence, KDB is lucky to be in one piece, he recovers fast, but some of the tackles he suffered were really nasty, like this one with Sane, Alexis was lucky too, I don't remember the name of the player of Yeovil who tried to kick him out of the field, he suffered those when he was in arsenal too and we can go on and on with examples for every team.

I full support intensity and give all in the field, but these plays that we are talking about don't fit in that category and doesn't help to attract more stars to the Premier.
I understand both of your points. I really do.

But injuries is part of the sport in England. These players play on a knife edge In lower leagues. This is how they earn their money. Every player goes into a challenges full pelt (just like the did against Alexis for us on Friday). They want to win, further cup runs mean more money for them and their family especially players in the championship / league 1.

Football is played much faster in England. That’s a fact and I’ve been watching La Liga a lot recently. I’m not trying to say one brand of football is better as evident that English teams haven’t done amazing in the champions league recently.

But I’ve been watching lots of La Liga this season, England’s teams play with more intensity definitely. Injuries happen with competition like this. In my opinion we have been unlucky with injuries for the last few years. If our direct rivals are unlucky with injuries now then I’m not going to be upset about it.

It’s part of the game and managers have to plan effectively and build squads to combat injuries - they are inevitable.

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
If you had reduced threat of hard tackles from the oponant you would have slower / more tactical games of football like in the Spanish or Italian leagues.

I agree it was a bad tackle on Sane and I don’t like to see those things - I also accept it is a part of our game and has happened to our players multiple time and unfortunately it’s just part of the game.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I don't want to derail the thread further but if you want to discuss non-Sané related stuff further you can PM.

A dedicated thread about player protection in different leagues might be worth discussing and I may create one someday if I'm arsed.

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
Fair enough.

But a thread on how Sane has been injured, just after he’s been injured, is inevitably going to turn like this as it’s obviously not going to turn performance related.

1Manchester

Supports
Manchester City
The injury to Sane shows why it is important for a team like City to have strength in depth. Because reguardless of why this injury happened one has to prepare for the possiblity of such a siutation (1). Thus the fact that City squads lack of strength in depth has made be feel very concerned about this injury, because what it means is that we have no slack in any of our attacking players whatsoever (2) and thus we will have to play the same front 3 (3) game after game when they are already beginning to run out of steam as it is.

In other words it is siutations such as this that makes it feel City f**ked up badly in failing to get Sanchez into our team (4), because we needed another world class player in our attack to share the burden and cover for injuries such as this, after all it would not be the first time a club's season has been runined by a player injury or 2 and this injury only adds to my pre-existing fears that the title could be lost from City's grasp.

(1) That or a player getting susepended for whatever reason.

(2) With Jesus being injured as well.

(3) Two of which (Aguero and Sterling) have played quite a lot of games this season.

(4) I don't blame him for capitalizing on how much money is flowing around the game (although any complaints about how much game time he would have had at City are completely unreasonable, considering how many games it takes to win a Quadruple), rather I blame my club for not doing everything they could to get that player whatever the cost.

Reguardless even if we do actually get Laporte, I feel disappointed by my clubs actions over the trasfer window considering how we could have potentially (financially at least) got players like VVD, Sanchez and Coutinho (and maybe Rose as well) but did not, even though we needed all those players.

Wilt

Warnock "he is in England, what do you expect?" .....fecking embarrassing

Reactions: SteveJ