Leroy Sane watch | Feb 2020: Returning to fitness with City's U23s

Andersons Dietician

Easily? Took him the entire pitch to do that. Dembele could have released a killer ball before then.
Walker is basically having to go from a standing start whilst Dembele is already running and he catches them. Dembele is certainly fast traveling with a ball but I don’t think he has outrageous speed.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Completely disagree with him being more of a passer than Giggs was in the past. His passing is generally erratic when he's played in that role for Germany where as Giggs found it really is to drift inside when he was younger. His combination play with Cantona even when he was very young was great.
Giggs more creative but also very likely to misplace passes and crosses. I see Sane as more efficient and sort of player who will develop into one of those wingers that rarely loses the ball and very solid at ball retention. Giggs developing under a Fergie side was more about just making things happen than any emphasis on keeping the ball and thus was a more erratic player during the 90s.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Giggs more creative but also very likely to misplace passes and crosses. I see Sane as more efficient and sort of player who will develop into one of those wingers that rarely loses the ball and very solid at ball retention. Giggs developing under a Fergie side was more about just making things happen than any emphasis on keeping the ball and thus was a more erratic player during the 90s.
Im convinced Pep's set up of hogging possession is deceiving people into thinking Sane can keep the ball better than Giggs at that age. Giggs' development in spite of ending as a legend was also severely hampered by injury mid career. Here's to hoping it never befalls this lad.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Im convinced Pep's set up of hogging possession is deceiving people into thinking Sane can keep the ball better than Giggs at that age. Giggs' development in spite of ending as a legend was also severely hampered by injury mid career. Here's to hoping it never befalls this lad.
No doubt. Good point actually.

Agreed Chief. Martial is definitely up there with Sane, just had a more difficult system and manager to contend with and still doing well.
I assure you Pep is just as demanding. Martial was rightly benched by Jose when his LVG levels dipped. People have forgotten in spite of flying last season Pep readily started the season with Sane on his bench and targeting Alexis. He too brooks no level dropping

if that were true we wouldn´t have this thread. We lost Sane and de Bruyne to the PL and if a PL team is going for Bailley in the summer it´s likely to happen again.
Plus you also have to have proper room for them that is why he is at City. A season ago a Sane didnt have a potential starting slot at a Bayern so the expense made no sense. Even Bailey might not this summer upon Gnabry's return. Even PEA for that matter has never had one in spite of matching Lewa pound for pound

Rossa

Rumored to have agreed to a contract extension along with Raheem and Kevin.

He's the fastest player in the league though, plus I think he's the fastest with ball at his feet which is even better. Few occasions of getting outpaced by someone means very little, could be due to multiple reasons honestly.
Fastest based on what? Clocked times? I'd say he and Rashford are about equally fast. Walker would beat both in a foot race, and I'm not sure either would beat Valencia either. Good player, no doubt.

Rossa

Giggs talent wise was ahead of Sane, he was more exciting, more agile and more explosive. However he never quite mastered his talents imo to become that star of the side and was quite erratic at his physical peak in terms of decision making. Equally capable of losing the ball to tearing a top side singlehandedly. Sane for me is less likely to lose the ball and under a coach like Pep is unlikely to become a winger who loses the ball an awful lot.
Unfortunately, you are right that Giggs was not quite able to live up to his great talent, per se. However, he countered with longevity unparalleled by any winger.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Fastest based on what? Clocked times? I'd say he and Rashford are about equally fast. Walker would beat both in a foot race, and I'm not sure either would beat Valencia either. Good player, no doubt.
Based on whose run the fastest according to opta. Walker is 4th, rashford not in the top 20, though I'd imagine that's down to United's play style.

In fact sane is the leagues fastest ever breaking vardy's record. They only started keeping the record in 2014.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think if Martial was under Pep you'd be saying the same thing about him. Once Pep eventually leaves I can see Sané not being as good as it currently looks like he can be.
Think Sane has more game intelligence than Martial and both have ridiculous assets in agility control speed etc both great prospects all the same.

TheRedScot

In Any Fight It’s The Guy Whose Willing To Die Who
Based on whose run the fastest according to opta. Walker is 4th, rashford not in the top 20, though I'd imagine that's down to United's play style.

In fact sane is the leagues fastest ever breaking vardy's record. They only started keeping the record in 2014.
Yeah I seen that about Sane. No doubt he’s exceptionally quick. But yedelin is by a good distance the fastest in the league. Yet his name isn’t even mentioned:houllier:. So not sure how accuarate it is. Sane, walker and yedelin are te top 3 for me anyway

BlueSingh

Supports
Manchester City
Yeah I seen that about Sane. No doubt he’s exceptionally quick. But yedelin is by a good distance the fastest in the league. Yet his name isn’t even mentioned:houllier:. So not sure how accuarate it is. Sane, walker and yedelin are te top 3 for me anyway
The guy Sane twisted into knots last night for the assist was Yedlin himself, that's what I was saying initially, he's the fastest with the ball at his feet which is a good thing.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Plus you also have to have proper room for them that is why he is at City. A season ago a Sane didnt have a potential starting slot at a Bayern so the expense made no sense. Even Bailey might not this summer upon Gnabry's return. Even PEA for that matter has never had one in spite of matching Lewa pound for pound
I‘d say that Gnabry is not good enough for Bayern and I am not convinced by Bailey (yet?).
Aubameyang might have similar stats to Lewandowski, but the latter is the better striker.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Martial outpaced Yedelin to a ball starting a yard or two behind at Old Trafford. Just putting it out there.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Think yedlin was 20th in December. Again I think like rashford a victim of tactics, guy is rapid.

Rossa

I know it must have been based on those stats. But ffs, Rooney was clocked as being one of the fastest players in the world according to the same stats a few years back.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I know it must have been based on those stats. But ffs, Rooney was clocked as being one of the fastest players in the world according to the same stats a few years back.
Yeah, I think some players are deceptively quick just look lumbering and others are slower even though they look quick.

Rossa

Martial outpaced Yedelin to a ball starting a yard or two behind at Old Trafford. Just putting it out there.
Martial is a bit on and off when it comes to speed, but he is defintely up there - especially with the ball. I'd say he is as fast as Sane.

Yedlin and Bellerin would be the fastest in the league - both are sprinters. Most footballers are not great runners in terms of top speed. Yedlin is, as Rio would say, a rocket.

Rossa

Yeah, I think some players are deceptively quick just look lumbering and others are slower even though they look quick.
Hazard, for instance, looks really quick, but his top speed is not all that. Smalling seriously outpaced Wllian, whom many believed was one of the fastest in the league, last season or the season before. Short and nippy players often appear faster than they are. Sterling is extremely explosive off the mark, almost like Lennon, but although his top speed is good, no doubt Walker would beat him in a 60m sprint or so.

Greck

Sane is a similar talent and a better left winger than Martial (who is more wide forward) but Pep's system is so detailed, from the keeper's distribution to players making themselves available for tap ins on the far post. The decisions have been made on the training ground, these players are only executing them. They aren't all playmaking geniuses.

Ffs they have Sterling looking world class. The guy was a meme when I was still lurking this place

Silas

Think Sane has more game intelligence than Martial and both have ridiculous assets in agility control speed etc both great prospects all the same.
Hard to say if it's game intelligence or just him following Pep's instructions.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Acceleration is more important than top speed, Messi and Neymar are the best dribblers in the world because they're likely the two fastest players in the world over 10-15 meters

And people are really underselling Giggs

Sane is amazing though, i agree, but to reach Giggs level, that'd be some serious talent. Not so sure he has it in him

BlueSingh

Supports
Manchester City
Acceleration is more important than top speed, Messi and Neymar are the best dribblers in the world because they're likely the two fastest players in the world over 10-15 meters

Sane is amazing though, i agree, but to reach Giggs level, that'd be some serious talent. Not so sure he has it in him
Wouldn't be that sure of it personally, he's already surpassing him in terms of numbers, could easily post twice the g/a Giggs ever did in a single season. Longevity now is a different argument.

I‘d say that Gnabry is not good enough for Bayern and I am not convinced by Bailey (yet?).
Aubameyang might have similar stats to Lewandowski, but the latter is the better striker.
I dont buy the Gnabry claim. And Lewandowski being a better player, operating in Bayerns on forward system is precisely why a play of Aubameyang's class will leave the Bundesliga sans playing for them. Emphasizing my early point perfectly.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I dont buy the Gnabry claim. And Lewandowski being a better player, operating in Bayerns on forward system is precisely why a play of Aubameyang's class will leave the Bundesliga sans playing for them. Emphasizing my early point perfectly.
Oh, I agree with you that Aubameyang is „too good“ for any team but Bayern in the Buli. I just didn‘t want to go along with the „matches Lewandowski pound for pound“, but that is semantics and opinion. Cheers, mate!

PS: Forgot about Gnabry. I was never impressed and support Bayern, so I hope you are right.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Hard to say if it's game intelligence or just him following Pep's instructions.
Not really as you can see in his split decision moments. Plus his running of the ball is great and he has a good habit of knicking in and defending well against a counterattack.

Rossa

Depends on so many things. Acceleration is usually more important,especially for possession based teams. However, for counter attacks you need top speed. Wingers also need top speed. Iniesta, for instance, had great acceleration but poor top speed, so he couldn’t play well as a traditional winger.

Neymar and Messi are not the fastest over 15 meters. It’s hyperbole because they are both top three players in the world. I’d wager Sterling is just as quick and neither are as quick as Lennon was. Speed with ball control, agility, stoping ability and end product gets you there. That Traore fella is lightning and can also dribble, but his end product is running the ball out of play.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
. That Traore fella is lightning and can also dribble, but his end product is running the ball out of play.
His dribbling is phenomenal, one of the best I've ever seen, yet his end-product is truly abysmal. Never seen a player so disproportionately talented. Like someone created a Fifa player and gave them 99 for speed and dribbling then 1 for everything else.

Oh, I agree with you that Aubameyang is „too good“ for any team but Bayern in the Buli. I just didn‘t want to go along with the „matches Lewandowski pound for pound“, but that is semantics and opinion. Cheers, mate!

PS: Forgot about Gnabry. I was never impressed and support Bayern, so I hope you are right.
I support Bayern too.:D
About the PEA- Lewa thing I meant in terms of scoring domestically and abroad. Too good for Bayern's bench but not good enough to bench Lewa so Bayern could never get him.

As for Gnabry, let Hynckes get his hands on him for just 6 months. He will surprise you.

Last edited:

Rossa

His dribbling is phenomenal, one of the best I've ever seen, yet his end-product is truly abysmal. Never seen a player so disproportionately talented. Like someone created a Fifa player and gave them 99 for speed and dribbling then 1 for everything else.
You summed him up perfectly!

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
As for Gnabry, let Hynckes get his hands on him for just 6 months. He will surprise you.
Yeah but this won't happen, unfortunately. Jupp has no intention to stay, and our board are dickheads to push him on the matter. He came back from retirement to help us out, enough is enough.

bebeanderson

Depends on so many things. Acceleration is usually more important,especially for possession based teams. However, for counter attacks you need top speed. Wingers also need top speed. Iniesta, for instance, had great acceleration but poor top speed, so he couldn’t play well as a traditional winger.

Neymar and Messi are not the fastest over 15 meters. It’s hyperbole because they are both top three players in the world. I’d wager Sterling is just as quick and neither are as quick as Lennon was. Speed with ball control, agility, stoping ability and end product gets you there. That Traore fella is lightning and can also dribble, but his end product is running the ball out of play.
Neymar is not the fastest in the world, but he probably is the best at deceleration. Meaning that he can slow down during a run and go back to top speed like he's pressing a button on the playstation control. Thats tough for a defender.

flappyjay

We decided to wait one more year to get him on the cheap via a release clause...
In hindsight this looks really bad from Bayern but the Coman and Costa dynamic made them take the gamble. In this market a player of his talent is worth 60-80m

Classical Mechanic

Wouldn't be that sure of it personally, he's already surpassing him in terms of numbers, could easily post twice the g/a Giggs ever did in a single season. Longevity now is a different argument.
You didn't get players doing the kind of g+a stats in those days as you do now. A 1 in 2 goal scoring ratio at the top level was considered excellent in Giggs's day, now it is considered disappointing.

For all the Sane hype on productivity, Martial just edges him on g+a per 90 mins in the PL this season.