Lessons from the Moyes and Van Gaal failures

The United

The trouble with your two main ideas, dev, is that those football people (that we should appoint) who know the club are likely to be the very same senior figures with their own agendas. And that's before we even consider them on merit in a professional sense.
And we have some of the best football people too. I mean who do you think know football better than the likes of SAF?

The lesson is pretty much for the fans though. That we have to get used to with failing and being in shit sometimes like almost every other clubs do.

Jaybomb

Mourinho won't sell Rooney right away. He won't risk upsetting the supporters in his first season. He will probably play him as a CM/CAM and if he isn't impressing, then he'll sell him to Everton/China/MLS next season.

Personally, I want him gone now. I just think we need to freshen up the team a bit. I don't think he's good enough to be the first name on the team sheet every week. He's the only player in our squad who has privileges, regardless of form and I can't stand for that. I hope Mourinho makes every single one of them work for their spot and doesn't worry too much about what the media will say. I honestly believe LVG did so bad this season because he was relying on Rooney to score all his goals from August-January. He went 12 games without scoring a goal ffs. Hernandez would have excelled in those 12 games. RVP as well.

I also don't want to see Mourinho babysitting Giggs. Rui Faria is the obvious choice. He's passionate, get riled up on the touchline and is probably the best assistant manager in the world for me. He's almost just as important as Mourinho for me. If theres one thing I hope we see more often, its more action on the touchline. I couldn't care less if its not pretty at times. It seems to me that people have forgotten that Manchester United is the most hated club in England.

NotQuiteManc

For me, the biggest mistake was the hiring of Moyes. He was riding on the high as it was the last team left by SAF. Same as Everton with Martinez. He didn't say the right thing (aspire to be City? BIG NO NO). Left the team sinking rapidly, senior players left and almost left in ruins.

LvG, despite the poor results, and certain failures to get into UCL, he saved the team from a complete breakdown, ship out the deadwoods, and brought in big names to the team. The team played with decent possession football and has Fellaini working as a decent footballer. Not the best thing in the world at the moment but it was much much worse towards the end of Moyes' reign. I am grateful for LvG, and I believe he was onto something great compared to Moyes.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Don't let a manager change the existing/culture structure dramatically.

In the case of that mistake Moysey... we compounded the problem by allowing him to change the entire backroom staff and senior players. (Fergie had a conveyor belt concept of players - three layers of players from youth to verge of peaking to experienced, all providing different attributes.)

Stupid Moyes changed the winning culture and structure to one of a defensive minded or inferiority complex approach.

Other examples:

OT is a large pitch -- make use of it for a fast aggressive style of play.
Youth is part of our DNA/Culture/Brand. We need to sustain it or we becomes like any other club.

Last edited:

Giggs86

First and foremost the biggest mistake was appointing Dave fecking Moyes in the first place. The greatest manager in the history of the game retires from the biggest club in the world, and what do we do? Give the job to the mighty honorable loser Moyesey who have won absolutely feck all in charge of the world beaters Everton.
Everything that happened after that doesn't even compare to that shambles. Criminal mistake and anyone who was behind that failed us miserably.

Cal?

CR7 fan
First and foremost the biggest mistake was appointing Dave fecking Moyes in the first place. The greatest manager in the history of the game retires from the biggest club in the world, and what do we do? Give the job to the mighty honorable loser Moyesey who have won absolutely feck all in charge of the world beaters Everton.
Everything that happened after that doesn't even compare to that shambles. Criminal mistake and anyone who was behind that failed us miserably.
This, basically the biggest mistake in sporting history.

POF

Hopefully the main lesson learned is to hire a top class manager.

Unfortunately, the lesson that won't have been learned yet but may be a very expensive lesson is not to entrust such a significant squad rebuild to a manager on a short term contract.

kundalini

What else should we have learned from the past three years?
Don't expect more than 50% of incoming transfers to be a success and even some of those that eventually turn into successes, may struggle in the first year. The work by Paul Tomkins in Pay As You Play shows this, and we experienced it with LVG's transfers; tons of excitement when deals were announced, by the end of the season very few clear successes. Related point, away games at unfashionable sides are high risk of dropping points if side is packed with players in their first season in the PL.

Select team on merit rather than reputation. Both Moyes and LVG continued to select under-performing stars for lengthy spells, while being happy to drop squad players despite generally good performances.

Squad rotation under Moyes and LVG has been poorly handled. Don't use first team starters in the League Cup. Don't select the same side over the Christmas period. Don't use the same team away in Europe midweek then away in the PL at the weekend. Players aged 30+ will typically perform poorly if asked to play on sunday, having played 90 mins on wednesday.

Last edited:

Dr Pavel

Lesson from LvG:

Don't let the romance and history talk fool you. This is not 1986. Manchester United is no different to any other big club. Thinking long term when building your team is suicide. Result is the only thing that matters. So when you're faced with a choice between Pedro or save the money for the future, always choose Pedro.

Fortunately for Mourinho, he's already mastered this lesson.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Moyes single biggest mistake was getting rid of a number of the coaching staff at Utd and bringing in his own. I can understand his thinking but in reality he replaced a title winning coaching staff with his own mid table coaching staff.

LVG's single biggest mistake is he didnt understand that Utd fans have for over 50 years and possibly longer been entertained by the footballs style as much as in the Fergie era the idea of winning trophies.

Mourinho needs to understand quickly that he has to keep some of us entertained as well. His own coaching staff have won titles so him bringing in his own coaching staff wont be a problem. Just make sure you produce a team that wants to attack for most games.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Lesson from LvG:

Don't let the romance and history talk fool you. This is not 1986. Manchester United is no different to any other big club. Thinking long term when building your team is suicide. Result is the only thing that matters. So when you're faced with a choice between Pedro or save the money for the future, always choose Pedro.

Fortunately for Mourinho, he's already mastered this lesson.
Romance and history does have a relevance and thats what LVG got wrong. He didnt understand that for many of us having a team that is exciting to watch is important. Has been for the 45 or more years I have followed Utd anyway. The anti romance crew think in black and white when there are multiple layers of grey in there as well. Thinking long term is vital. Its like sex. A quickie is only fun every now and then and for the shallow of character and heart.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
The biggest lesson is that United badly need a Director of Football that can craft an overall footballing vision, one that remains consistent from manager to manager.

This is perhaps the biggest drawback to hiring Mourinho (although obviously a good move overall). It basically just kicks that can further down the road.

San Diego Red

Moyes
1. Don't take away there chips
2. Don't try buying players (Cesc) that don't wanna leave.
Giggs
1. Give it to Giggs
Lvg
1. Attack,Attack,Attack
2. If you like your hair pulled your a Masochist
3. Philosophy (25 side ways passes then back to DDG)
4. Our kids are alright

Stacks

For me, the biggest mistake was the hiring of Moyes. He was riding on the high as it was the last team left by SAF. Same as Everton with Martinez. He didn't say the right thing (aspire to be City? BIG NO NO). Left the team sinking rapidly, senior players left and almost left in ruins.

LvG, despite the poor results, and certain failures to get into UCL, he saved the team from a complete breakdown, ship out the deadwoods, and brought in big names to the team. The team played with decent possession football and has Fellaini working as a decent footballer. Not the best thing in the world at the moment but it was much much worse towards the end of Moyes' reign. I am grateful for LvG, and I believe he was onto something great compared to Moyes.
Care to elaborate? He had 2 years and none of the players bought into the philosophy. He couldn't use 90% of his own signings. Players he had previously worked with (RVP, Bastian, Memphis) were pretty shite or underwhelming. Blind has been decent. we were 1st in the league for passing backwards, 2nd for possession, 3rd for passing sideways. We averaged 58% possession, yet were 16th in the league for total shots, 18th in the league for chances created. there are only 20 teams, including newly promoted sides and crap teams like Newcastle, Sunderland and Villa. We went 10 games without a 1st half goal at home. What was he onto again?

Stacks

Don't expect more than 50% of incoming transfers to be a success and even some of those that eventually turn into successes, may struggle in the first year. The work by Paul Tomkins in Pay As You Play shows this, and we experienced it with LVG's transfers; tons of excitement when deals were announced, by the end of the season very few clear successes. Related point, away games at unfashionable sides are high risk of dropping points if side is packed with players in their first season in the PL.

Select team on merit rather than reputation. Both Moyes and LVG continued to select under-performing stars for lengthy spells, while being happy to drop squad players despite generally good performances.

Squad rotation under Moyes and LVG has been poorly handled. Don't use first team starters in the League Cup. Don't select the same side over the Christmas period. Don't use the same team away in Europe midweek then away in the PL at the weekend. Players aged 30+ will typically perform poorly if asked to play on sunday, having played 90 mins on wednesday.
Don't play 2 holding midfielders vs teams in the bottom 6 at home. It limits our attacking potential

Erebus

Expectations. One of the first thing I learnt when starting teaching was that if you have low expectations people fulfill them. High expectations from everyone at the club is the key, so suggestions of trying to emulate other teans is a sign of low expectations. No more talk of transitions, only talk of winning. The aim is to dominate. That and actually playing people in their positions.

Who Ate All Depay's

I honestly believe the most important thing to learn looking forward is if you rely on Rooney to be your main goal threat then you are doomed to begin with simple as that. Not necessarily having dig at Rooney but it's clear to see he is not the answer anymore. Obviously there are several more issues to resolve but having a top striker alongside Rashford in the squad and perhaps a goal threat from the right wing would improve us tremendously.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Be confident (not arrogant/cowardly) and give the fans what they want to see, disciplined and awe-inspiring counter-attacking football.

RyRy11

I may get a lot of stick for this, but I think we've learnt that a 4-2-3-1 formation doesn't suit the way many of us want to see us play. Its obvious we use it to protect a weak back four but when we are struggling to score against a poor poor Newcastle team, it shows we need more men up front.

MrBest

We have to be careful about selling Rooney. In my mind it was us selling Becks that set Ruud off. It can have a destabilizing effect. We see the conflicting reports regarding Carrick but then you have Shaw coming out and saying what a positive influence he is. So we have to be careful what we wish for. I think we need to help Rooney become a better midfielder. If we sold him then I think it would not only demoralize the players but let's also not forget what Keane said when we sold Jaap. The dressing room dynamic is important. I think that's why Jose might want to keep Carrick and certainly Rooney. As a big club we can keep most of our players and I think some clubs don't have that. Many people would not be happy him being denied the opportunity to be the clubs leading scorer.

I think we also have to get the players expressing themselves. Against Bournemouth, it was a tale of two halves. The first was poor but when we injected pace we scored. Second half much better and some of the passes we were attempting - some scoops in the box - where things we had not done all season. So I think we need to get these players expressing themselves because they are playing within themselves. I also hope that Jose corrects our belief because when Sir Alex retired we took a step back and other clubs took 5 steps forward. Most of our problems are in our head. You have to know you are better and respect is fine but too much and you become someones bitch.
We sold ruud because he and ronaldo did not see eye to eye. The rest is history.

I don't see a back clash if Rooney is sold, we have one of the world's most respected managers who is famous for creating unity within the dressing room with the exception of his last season at Chelsea.

Shaw should and will be more concerned with proving himself to Mourinho than worrying about whether Rooney will stay. As far as I see it, Rooney only plays well against weak opposition. He has more space and time but as the premier league has evolved the number of teams he can do this against has decreased. He should either be sold or left as a bench player.

I agree with everything else you said!

Gopher Brown

Don't be a coward by wasting subs on fullbacks - probably the least game-changing position on the pitch. Be bold and courageous with substitutions and changes in system.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Only Martial was signed on deadline, with all other transfers happening quite early. Ironically, Martial was the best signing he made.
What about Di Maria and Falcao?
I thought these guys arrived on deadline day and did not play their first game until after the transfer window closed.

Sepukku

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Most important lesson is don't buy players just because you can. Our transfer policy sucked big lately and i hope Jose addresses that.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Indeed.
We hired a 7th place manager and he turned us into a 7th place team.
He performed for MUFC exactly as he had performed for Everton. I think our points total was almost exactly the same, as what he achieved for Everton.

Last edited:

tomaldinho1

I don't think our hiring strategy has been that bad on paper - Moyes admittedly was very idealistic and had not won anything so there was always a chance he would go tits up but VG had serious pedigree and it's a shame he could never adapt to the PL. It's easy to say they were risky looking back but at the time I expected big things from VG.

Now with Mou we are playing safe and going for a manager who guarantees success - as much as possible anyway.

Lessons for the future should be - this is the biggest job in world football and only the most successful managers should be considered. No former players with minimal experience, no one season wonders and preferably no one without PL experience.

DenisIrwin

Player power and leaks are an issue. Moyes lost the dressing room because he was too soft, Van Gaal lost it because he was too harsh. Fergie struck the perfect balance and I hope this is something Mourinho can replicate.
I think you're on to something there but it's a bit more complicated. I think we lack something vital in terms of leadership in the dressing room. In Moyes time we had Rio's influence with all the daft "chips" nonsense. Carrick and Rooney had to go to LVG and point out that criticising individual players in front of the other players was counter-productive. It's been a mess. In our best days we had an undisputed leader in SAF managing and undisputed leaders in Robson/Keane in the dressing room and on the pitch. Lately we've seen childish behaviour become endemic without anyone strong and mature enough to get the squad to "man up". I don't think either Moyes or LVG would have been a roaring success even if they had such a leader in the squad but it would definitely have improved their chances. I'm sick of seeing footage of our team's behaviour on the coach outside Upton Park, of seeing noone react when Nolan literally picked Herrera up and carried him off the pitch (ffs!)... It's been weak as... well, very weak. That's the problem. No balls.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Indeed.
We hired a 7th place manager and he turned us into a 7th place team.
He performed for MUFC exactly as he had performed for Everton. I think our points total was almost exactly the same, as what he achieved for Everton.
At least Moysey can say... you know what you are getting -- consistency!

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
What can I say? For 20 years+ we had a genius who overprotected the board by staying loyal, by covering for the constant brain farts (how many times we've heard the 'I am happy with the squad' jibe?) and yet keep on winning. That came with a price as SAF grew more and more powerful with each passing year, turning the managerial role into an almost untouchable role. You only have to have a look at our executive board. All of them are non football people who have no idea about football. That contrasts greatly with clubs like Juventus who have Nedved and Marotta on the board. If there's a lesson to be learnt is that our board needs help on that regard is that there is the need of someone who knows about football who sits on the board, preferably one who knows the club well and another one whose outside the club and can give a non biased view to contrast the former view if needed.

Another lesson that needs to be learnt is that just because a person IS 100% loyal to the club that doesn't mean that he doesn't have an agenda which may or may not be in line to the club's success. Moyes for example was SAF's idea. The plan was for SAF to retain a level of control through guidance, which would, in theory, bring a level of consistency into the club. That didn't pan out well because Moyes proved to be his own man and also because the club needed change. I believe that throughout the years we had mellowed too much and placed the senior player's interests ahead of those of the club. That had backfired greatly both in Moyes and LVG administration as performances plummeted as we kept playing players who weren't good on a consistent level anymore. Dont take me wrong but some of the criticism thrown (he didn't allow us to eat crips or the manager was too critical during the team meeting and caused some players to cry etc) borders to the ridiculous. If you can't stand the heat then get out of the kitchen. That's another lesson that needs to be learnt

Its time we focus entirely on one aim ie to bring this club back on its feet. That aim should be dominant irrespective of how painful and devious it may be to achieve it. Its really the United way. After all SAF used to say that no one is bigger then the club.
Why not appoint Giggs to the board?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
The trouble with your two main ideas, dev, is that those football people (that we should appoint) who know the club are likely to be the very same senior figures with their own agendas. And that's before we even consider them on merit in a professional sense.
To be fair, Steve, sitting on the board of directors of a football club requires one of two things; business acumen or football knowledge. Ex-players are great candidates as are experienced business types. A mix of the two is good. The players can always educate themselves about business to achieve a rudimentary understanding but I don't think the football side is so easily understood.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
The biggest lesson is that United badly need a Director of Football that can craft an overall footballing vision, one that remains consistent from manager to manager.
This is a big one.

I may get a lot of stick for this, but I think we've learnt that a 4-2-3-1 formation doesn't suit the way many of us want to see us play. Its obvious we use it to protect a weak back four but when we are struggling to score against a poor poor Newcastle team, it shows we need more men up front.
This is also a good one, though I can't see Jose moving away from his 4-2-3-1 sadly.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
To be fair, Steve, sitting on the board of directors of a football club requires one of two things; business acumen or football knowledge. Ex-players are great candidates as are experienced business types. A mix of the two is good. The players can always educate themselves about business to achieve a rudimentary understanding but I don't think the football side is so easily understood.
I can't argue with any of that, chief, so instead I'll just write: 'gogsy needs da sak'.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Re: Rooney, hindsight is a wonderful thing. Whilst I rarely defend Moyes, at the time when he re-signed Rooney, it was regarded as excellent business. This place was shitting-it at the prospect of him playing for Chelsea under Mourinho, and keeping him here, and away from Chelsea, was a lauded action. This place was very happy with Rooney extending. It's a bit unfair, two and a half seasons later, to then throw this back at Moyes. I believe he did the right thing at the time.

However, the one thing LvG got horribly wrong was making Rooney the central figure, the captain and the immovable object, playing in other peoples positions at the expense of better players. The captaincy was perhaps through lack of options, because he stripped the squad bare and the majority of senior figures were either out or on their way out, but he was given leeway that no one else in the squad got. His performances just didn't seem to matter, because he's is the captain, which should be the exact opposite expectation of a captain. His performances should be relied upon, and he should receive greater criticism when the performance is poor.

Mourinho is no stranger to axing stars, big names and fan favorites. I hope he has watched United specifically over the last 12-18 months, and realises that Rooney may still have his uses, but he shouldn't be the centre of the United universe, for the whole club to revolve around, like he was in the last season or so.

Stretford End Phil

We've just watched two failed regimes in three years. Got to be some lessons we can learn from this. I'll get the ball rolling with three obvious ones.

1. Marginalise or sell Rooney. Ferguson did this in his final season by signing RvP and making him the main man upfront and he won the league. Both Moyes and Van Gaal went the opposite direction, they loved Rooney, made him their captain and tried to build the side around him. They both failed and I feel what Mourinho does with Rooney will be the single biggest factor in how well he does at United.

2. Quicker and more athletic players. United play in the fastest and most physically demanding league in the world. Moyes spent all his money on players who couldn't run (Mata and Fellaini) and give a physically declining Rooney a massive new contract. Van Gaal signed some good players in this regard but also brought in guys like Blind, Schweinsteiger, Darmian and relied on the three players I named from the Moyes era way more than he should have. We have simply been physically outmatched time after time post-Ferguson and one of the major pluses I can see for Mourinho is that this doesn't happen to his teams.

3. End the Giggs madness. Being a good player shouldn't automatically mean you become a coach at one of the biggest teams in the world. When the regime you are a coach in fails you shouldn't then get promoted to assistant manager and be lined up for the main job itself. When that regime fails as well... just learn from your mistakes...

What else should we have learned from the past three years?
IMO you are not looking at this from the bigger picture. I see several issues:

1. In the 1990s after Busby died, Fergie made statements that club was governed more professionally and there would be no repeats of the managerial successsion failures of the 7os and 80s. The board had a sprinking of managerial specialists and footballers. It was a similar mix to how Bayern had been developing for decades. However, once the Glazers moved in the whole professional management angle disappeared and we returned to typical English management methods.

2. MUFC is a mega corporation, asking Fergie to find his replacement as he retired was simply a bad management decision. This is the most common failure of large concerns and one of the Most important warnings raised in business schools. Given Fergie's association with business schools it was a bizarre lapse.

3. Moyes was an unmitigated disaster - even on a basic SWOT test Moyes should never even have been on the reserve list.

4. LVG was an example of poor homework. He was a disaster at Bayern, a Neanderthal with Stoneage tactics to quote Mehmet Scholl. His style and methods could never sit well with us even if he had come in after Fergie.

5. There was no compensation for the bad management decisions in buying top quality players. We had learned this lesson in the 70s and 80s but seemed to have forgotten it. In the end the transfer and squad policy has rocked and rolled; and, we creaked from one boring game after another. There are no comparisons to the amount of money we spent and abject level of success - our nemesis is Leicester who spent little, entertained, and won our trophy.

6. The idea of transition became a process of change without time limits. There could be no end ti the state of change as we came 5th to a side that out scored us, but teams like Spurs also out scored us by such a huge margin. The same problem lies with the defence where we're badly stretched. Just how many more players do we need is now a regular debate even though we have gone through bucket loads of money and raised youth to the first team.

7. We have all the talent and its nlw time to place them under a dynamic manager to allow their abilities to show; rather than keeping them boxed up in Stoneage tactics.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
good post @Stretford End Phil.

agree with much of what you say mate.

want to pick up on the Rooney mention. Rooney still has a lot to contribute to the team as was seen in recent matches. Jose will use him wisely.

We could have had a smooth transition from Fergie straight to Mourinho without the interfearence of Fergie and Charlton. People who are the top in their own fields do not necessarily translate well in other areas. Mourinho had the CV. He was and is the best manager around. He is only 53. I am convinced the club is in good hands.