Let’s sign Gareth Bale

Himannv

When is the meeting supposed to happen?

EDIT: I'm quite convinced we want him though. He seems like the kind of player that Jose might like: tall, fast, plays for the team, established star, started out a defender.. Just seems to hinge on this meeting right now.

Last edited:

EyeInTheSky

He could waste another season past his prime being second fiddle. Probably one of the most important decisions in his footballing life. You can't rely on a promise because you may be left out for tactical reasons or form. Silly to put your trust in that.

This could turn out to be like the seasonal Ronaldo saga where we get used for a better contract and then we give up because of being messed around then when he finally is actually available it won't make financial sense or money has already been allocated.

Hojoon

This is one of those instances where I would be pleased with whatever outcome. Fantastic player but his injury record (especially his calf) is questionable.

Devil may care

I don't think he'll leave Real Madrid this summer as I reckon they are going to struggle to get the likes of Neymar, Mbappe and Hazard, so they'll need him to take up some of ths slack left by Ronaldo's sale.

Mainoldo

If only we played good football. We could have gone all lit for Mbappe. Bale should never be allowed to come here after this. I’ll tell you something, if they get Hazard or Neymar he’ll continue to be on the bench.

JMack1234

I get why Bale wants to stay, Madrid is a super club and this is his moment to step up and be the main man.

However, I'm not being biased when I say that I think this will prove to be a mistake for him. First of all he isn't loved in Madrid for a number of reasons, his refusal to speak Spanish in public and his numerous injury problems don't endear him to fans. Football wise you can't doubt his ability to I think Real might struggle this year, they're an old side nearing the end of their cycle, and if they do the Real fans will put the blame on Bale. Then he'll need to find a new club at the age 30.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Bale = One of the players and their agents who use us every year to get a better contract with their team.

Mainoldo

I get why Bale wants to stay, Madrid is a super club and this is his moment to step up and be the main man.

However, I'm not being biased when I say that I think this will prove to be a mistake for him. First of all he isn't loved in Madrid for a number of reasons, his refusal to speak Spanish in public and his numerous injury problems don't endear him to fans. Football wise you can't doubt his ability to I think Real might struggle this year, they're an old side nearing the end of their cycle, and if they do the Real fans will put the blame on Bale. Then he'll need to find a new club at the age 30.
This is how I see it planning out. Plus I don’t think he will suit the type of football they will look to play. He’s better off moving back to England now.

RoyH1

You make some great points, but after releasing Cristiano and the relentless decline of Benzema, they cannot afford to lose anymore forwards unless they replace them promptly. PSG will not sell Neymar or Mbappe and Madrid will not be able to replace Cristiano this summer. Bale, for all his limitations and injuries is the kind of direct, fast player they need to have in their squad. I don't think he will leave this year.

JMack1234

You make some great points, but after releasing Cristiano and the relentless decline of Benzema, they cannot afford to lose anymore forwards unless they replace them promptly. PSG will not sell Neymar or Mbappe and Madrid will not be able to replace Cristiano this summer. Bale, for all his limitations and injuries is the kind of direct, fast player they need to have in their squad. I don't think he will leave this year.
Oh I agree. I just don't buy it from Bale's point of view. I think it'll be the same old cycle next season. He'll get injured then he'll struggle to replace either Isco or Asensio and the fans will be after him. That said, if have the opportunity to be the main man at Madrid you go for it.

Frank Grimes

After his tweet tonight saying he is happy to be back in training for Real there seems no point in speculating anymore, didn't sound like a man on the brink of a transfer. Will be gutted if we don't sort out our RW issues this window.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
My heart wants Bale, top draw and genuine world class talent who would instantly transform our sides attacking threat down the right. Few sides would have better in that position should he sign.

But my head just doesn’t want this. Way too much money for someone whose body just breaks down too often. Injuries are one thing when in the early 20’s but at some point you can’t help but feel he’ll sustain a career changing injury that will take away the pace and power that make him so dangerous. Massive gamble.

Aside from this I just can’t get excited about spending so much on a player who would be moving reluctantly and has never shown any desire to move here.

Nowhere near as good players but I’d rather stick with Lingard and Rashford at this point and see how they develope this year.

I know RW is a weak area but spend the money elsewhere

Reactions: van der star

eggwithsideburns

Bale is a top class player and I don't see why Madrid would even entertain the idea of selling him now that Zidane has left, as it was Zidane who didn't fancy him not Madrid. Not to mention Ronaldo leaving too. They need as many goalscorers as they can now to replace Ronaldo's goals so it makes no sense to sell Bale, I'm not sure of the numbers but was Bale their second top goalscorer last season?

Why would Madrid sell him and put themselves under so much pressure to replace both him and Ronaldo? From a footballing standpoint it makes no sense at all. We can all hope saying such things like the fan's or Madrid don't appreciate him, or they will still start other players such as Isco ahead of him and Bale may still not get enough playing time, but if that was the case you would have to ask yourself why would we even want Bale? if he still couldn't get into the Madrid team, I don't think that will be the case though. I predict Bale will stay and be an integral part of the team, their star player that they will look to to win them games. The exact reason why we want to sign Bale for ourselves.

I would say the only hope is if they want to sell him to raise funds for a Neymar or Mbappe and that is very unlikely.

MrEleson

Bale is a top class player and I don't see why Madrid would even entertain the idea of selling him now that Zidane has left, as it was Zidane who didn't fancy him not Madrid. Not to mention Ronaldo leaving too. They need as many goalscorers as they can now to replace Ronaldo's goals so it makes no sense to sell Bale, I'm not sure of the numbers but was Bale their second top goalscorer last season?

Why would Madrid sell him and put themselves under so much pressure to replace both him and Ronaldo? From a footballing standpoint it makes no sense at all. We can all hope saying such things like the fan's or Madrid don't appreciate him, or they will still start other players such as Isco ahead of him and Bale may still not get enough playing time, but if that was the case you would have to ask yourself why would we even want Bale? if he still couldn't get into the Madrid team, I don't think that will be the case though. I predict Bale will stay and be an integral part of the team, their star player that they will look to to win them games. The exact reason why we want to sign Bale for ourselves.

I would say the only hope is if they want to sell him to raise funds for a Neymar or Mbappe and that is very unlikely.
The problem is Bale is fit for maybe 35-40% of the season. What's the point of having a player on such high wages and demands to be in the starting XI when he rarely has any continuity in the team. I think Zidane did what was best for him and the team by benching him. He probably wanted to protect him from his eventual next physical breakdown. Bale complained but truth is, him not being played every week was probably what kept him fit to be able to showcase himself like he did in the CL final. Also, it's unfair on other players who were in better form and actually remained fit if he suddenly came back from injury after months and was pitched straight into the starting XI considering he wasn't really a major upgrade on those players at the time.

Madrid did fine without him for the entirety of the CL quarters and semis. In fact, he started the 2nd leg against Juve at home but was abysmal before being replaced at half time.

It makes perfect sense if Madrid were to cash in on him now that he's 29 as it's the last chance they can get a big fee for him before his value begins to deplete. They can then replace him with someone who can actually be fit for a season. It would make OK sense if they kept him too since they have now lost Ronaldo's goals...IF he can keep fit..

Reactions: SteveJ

eggwithsideburns

The problem is Bale is fit for maybe 35-40% of the season. What's the point of having a player on such high wages and demands to be in the starting XI when he rarely has any continuity in the team. I think Zidane did what was best for him and the team by benching him. He probably wanted to protect him from his eventual next physical breakdown. Bale complained but truth is, him not being played every week was probably what kept him fit to be able to showcase himself like he did in the CL final. Also, it's unfair on other players who were in better form and actually remained fit if he suddenly came back from injury after months and was pitched straight into the starting XI considering he wasn't really a major upgrade on those players at the time.

Madrid did fine without him for the entirety of the CL quarters and semis. In fact, he started the 2nd leg against Juve at home but was abysmal before being replaced at half time.

It makes perfect sense if Madrid were to cash in on him now that he's 29 as it's the last chance they can get a big fee for him before his value begins to deplete. They can then replace him with someone who can actually be fit for a season. It would make OK sense if they kept him too since they have now lost Ronaldo's goals...IF he can keep fit..
Bale said himself that he was fit for most of last season, apart from like a month early on in the season or something. Anyway that is last season and this season is totally different circumstances. Do you want us to sign Bale?

Beaucoup

Bale said himself that he was fit for most of last season, apart from like a month early on in the season or something. Anyway that is last season and this season is totally different circumstances. Do you want us to sign Bale?
It’s catch 22 with Bale I’m afraid, the reason he was fit for most of last season is probably down to the fact he didn’t get much game time.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
We're not getting Bale. When have we ever signed a player that's had more than 2 weeks of rumour behind it

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
It looks like they have a real challenge in bringing in one world class attacker right now. I doubt they will let another go.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
We were never getting him, don't understand people who believed that for one second. He just milked his influence in the final to show he is, after all, integral to their attack. Woodward should stop wasting time, if the rumours are to be true.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
There's not a chance in hell.......

...... you can quote me on that!

MrEleson

The thing about his injuries aren't really the length he his out for only, but it's the time it takes for him to get back to full match fitness. Say he's injured for 3-5months with a serious injury like he was in 16/17; it would then take another month for him to get going - time you really can't afford to lose. The season is already only 9 months or so.

And he was injured from late September last year till about December - January. That's more than 1 month.

He'd have a huge impact at Utd and improve the team if he arrived and could keep fit but he's already 29 and what Madrid would demand probably not worth the investment. The only thing is that there's nothing much better out there.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Bale = One of the players and their agents who use us every year to get a better contract with their team.
90% on here were saying the same about Ronaldo only a few weeks ago...

WelshManc

Very serious. Go support Real Madrid, the team he currently plays for. He's snubbed us at twice, Gareth can feck off. I want warriors committed to the cause, not sicknote mercs.
I'm very aware of who he plays for, I think his decision to snub us has paid off with his 4 Champions League wins. If you don't think that he would improve our team then maybe you should support the Scouse as the delusion seems on par. Mercenary :lol:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'm very aware of who he plays for, I think his decision to snub us has paid off with his 4 Champions League wins. If you don't think that he would improve our team then maybe you should support the Scouse as the delusion seems on par. Mercenary :lol:
He preferred being a bench player at Madrid over asking for a transfer so that should tell us all we need to know about how much he wants a move. Ultimately if he doesn't want to come here then we should look elsewhere.

jesperjaap

More I think about it, is Bale or bust for the right wing slot. Perisic/Rebic are both better for the countries than club football and neither really are what we need. The like of Malcom are unproven if undoubtedly talented, why sign a 20 year old when we have to great 18 year old just a 12-15months behind development wise.
If we arent getting a world class game changer, may as well stick with Lingard who did well even if he isnt really a right winger and Mata who probably isnt that valuable and though I have never been a fan of his for us even though I like him it does give more possible opportunities to Chong and Gomes.

Ideally keep Martial, sell Mata, bring Bale in and we have two quality players on paper for each attacking spot with a smashing youngster also as back up for each position too.
Then if we can sell 3 or 4 defenders that is a top centre back signing paid for. Its not all our problems sorted but the other 2/3 are ones I think we can monitor for the next season.
If and its a big IF, all the players performed its actually a pretty damn good side:
DeGea
Shaw
Bailly
? (Khoubilay would be my perfect choice)
Valencia
Matic
Pogba
Fred
Bale
Sanchez
Lukaku

plenty of good options on the bench still too but a solid, strong looking first team

Last edited: