Let’s sign Gareth Bale

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Then why do we always criticize players who want to leave when clubs do the same when they have no further use? Loyalty is overrated and we need to stop critisizing player like pogba who aren't supposedly loyal when in fact they are just doing what they think is best for them. I really dont care about where bale ends up as long as it isn't here. My problem is couldn't they at least do it with some respect even though its fine that they dont want him?

Loyalty in football has become so rare which is fair enough in a sports driven by money. A player's career is short so its only fair for them to try to squeeze every dollar/pound/Euro out of it. Nowadays even 18 year old kids have agents and wouldn't think twice to leave the club or even the country for more dosh or a better shot elsewhere. However that cuts both ways. Clubs shouldn't be expected to rely on morals of a far gone football when players used to bleed for their clubs and after their career was over they would have ended up homeless without their help. Those players are gone.

Do you think Bale is loyal? If so why didn't he stayed with Spurs or Southampton? He moved to Real for money and now he's not worth that money anymore. Most players stick to loyalty either when they aren't good enough (its easy for JLingz to be loyal towards Manchester United. Its not as if Real will ever come knocking at his door) or when they are finished at top level as Bale is.

Last edited:

iKnowNothing

I read some rumors of Bale being sold to a Chinese club. I'm I correct in assuming that if the transfer goes through, he had to agree to the move?

Wonder what prompted him to agree to a move to China. Wouldn't he be better off staying in Spain over China?
He is still contracted with Real Madrid and they would be forced to pay him his wages as per contract.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Wow. Gotta love communism. And no i meant they pay 15 million to their government on a 30 million transfer as in 45 total. That’s crazy. How are those clubs even ran? How does that government even operate? Am I about to get a history lesson on the cafe?
Yes. The special tax(which is 100% of the transfer fee) is only applied to players signed from without the league, and it goes straight into the chinese football academies. It's a relatively new introduction meant to force chinese clubs to invest locally instead of going out and signing 3rd and 4th tier "european" and "south american" players for stupid money

Ooge_

Supports
Werder
So he is not hungry anymore? Thought the problem would be Real/Zidane. But maybe it´s just Bale.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Yes. The special tax(which is 100% of the transfer fee) is only applied to players signed from without the league, and it goes straight into the chinese football academies. It's a relatively new introduction meant to force chinese clubs to invest locally instead of going out and signing 3rd and 4th tier "european" and "south american" players for stupid money
If they don't offer stupid money, those players wouldn't even consider the move. Who in their right mind wants to live in a Chinese industrial town?

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
If they don't offer stupid money, those players wouldn't even consider the move. Who in their right mind wants to live in a Chinese industrial town?
That's why the government introduces that tax, before teams start wasting millions on washed up players or mercenaries that will cash out and not improve the overall level of the league, this gives teams the option to sign those players, but at least having to invest part of their money in improving local talent.

yamo123x

Id have him. Point to prove, on his day world class....id have him in heartbeat if we could sell sanchez.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Bale is finished, he's been a fringe player for Madrid for a while now. Any ambitious footballer who wants to challenge the very best players would've moved to a different club long ago, China rumors sum up his mentality.

Classical Mechanic

But on a free it might that it could now be entertained, its doable if we have a performance related pay scale. (Which he's unlikely to go for anyway)
He has a terrible injury record and looks to have lost a step. He's been an explosive player so an early decline is very possible. We're best not taking that risk with us already having Sanchez stinking out the joint.

Eleven-Eighteen

What an absolute travesty, this whole treatment of Gareth Bale by Madrid. I'd think twice before joining a club like that, if I were in the position

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
That's why the government introduces that tax, before teams start wasting millions on washed up players or mercenaries that will cash out and not improve the overall level of the league, this gives teams the option to sign those players, but at least having to invest part of their money in improving local talent.
It's the only way they can attract players. Same happens with J-League or MLS. Most of the foreign players are actually doing quite well in China in terms of performances.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
That's....an interesting take on it
Not that interesting, mate. The stupid cliché "it is what it is" quite applies to this kind of leagues who have some financial power but their only plan is trying to attract some foreign players who have some reputation. The players are not interested in going there unless money talks, no matter how professional they are. No player in the world dreams about playing in the powerful Chinese Super League :D

Freeney

Supports
Djibouti FC
Deserves the public shaming he’s getting from zidane.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Loyalty in football has become so rare which is fair enough in a sports driven by money. A player's career is short so its only fair for them to try to squeeze every dollar/pound/Euro out of it. Nowadays even 18 year old kids have agents and wouldn't think twice to leave the club or even the country for more dosh or a better shot elsewhere. However that cuts both ways. Clubs shouldn't be expected to rely on morals of a far gone football when players used to bleed for their clubs and after their career was over they would have ended up homeless without their help. Those players are gone.

Do you think Bale is loyal? If so why didn't he stayed with Spurs or Southampton? He moved to Real for money and now he's not worth that money anymore. Most players stick to loyalty either when they aren't good enough (its easy for JLingz to be loyal towards Manchester United. Its not as if Real will ever come knocking at his door) or when they are finished at top level as Bale is.
Of course he left for money, but glory as well. 4 Cl's that he played a big part in winning. He's part of Real history now.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
What an absolute travesty, this whole treatment of Gareth Bale by Madrid. I'd think twice before joining a club like that, if I were in the position
The fact his next club is in China and he'll get earning 1m a week might tell you something about how this all went down. I don't think this is one sided at all

Not that I am knocking him, go and maximise your earnings, but its clear that this isn't a one sided issue.

Reynoldo

He has a terrible injury record and looks to have lost a step. He's been an explosive player so an early decline is very possible. We're best not taking that risk with us already having Sanchez stinking out the joint.
Oh I agree, there are better players with more suited profiles for us but I look at it right now if it was sign no one at rw or Bale on favorable terms is that worth exploring?

sugar_kane

Every time I see this thread I think "Let's Not" from Dumb & Dumber (Austrian girl in response to "let's throw another shrimp on the barbie...")

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Deserves the public shaming he’s getting from zidane.
Why? He's achieved more with real than Zidane ever did (as a player) and also has better stats to boot

Eleven-Eighteen

OR you could think of the 4 CL's that Bale won there and wouldn't have won anywhere else.
All the more reason to dislike the club. He was rarely treated right while at the club. And then after Ronaldo (the person he was playing second fiddle to) left the club, he was thrown out unceremoniously and publicly anyway. No Madridista will think of Bale among the Top 5 players responsible for any of the 4 CLs. What a shame.

The fact his next club is in China and he'll get earning 1m a week might tell you something about how this all went down. I don't think this is one sided at all

Not that I am knocking him, go and maximise your earnings, but its clear that this isn't a one sided issue.
Are you suggesting he was being prickly about his wages and therefore had to be unloaded to the only place which would agree to pay that much to a 30-year-old, past-his-prime winger?

GBBQ

All the more reason to dislike the club. He was rarely treated right while at the club. And then after Ronaldo (the person he was playing second fiddle to) left the club, he was thrown out unceremoniously and publicly anyway. No Madridista will think of Bale among the Top 5 players responsible for any of the 4 CLs. What a shame.
I mean none of this is really new for Madrid, players are flashy playthings thrown to one side when the next big thing comes along. Bale knew all this when he joined but was happy to do so for obscene money. If he wanted to be revered he should have gone to United or never left Spurs in the first place.

buckooo1978

hypothetically of course but what would people deem a good deal for Bale

obviously a free but what kind of salary?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Are you suggesting he was being prickly about his wages and therefore had to be unloaded to the only place which would agree to pay that much to a 30-year-old, past-his-prime winger?
Yes seems that way. Spurs and Bayern were in for him. Im guessing the wages was an issue. But I don’t knock him for that

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
I'm glad the club are wiser than some of you lot.
The club wise?:lol:

This is the same club that signed Sanchez, Schweinsteiger, Falcao ect and also gave new contracts to players that need moving on, not keeping for another 4 years

Also the same club that refused to sign Maguire last season on Jose request.

We are well wise

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
The club wise?:lol:

This is the same club that signed Sanchez, Schweinsteiger, Falcao ect and also gave new contracts to players that need moving on, not keeping for another 4 years

Also the same club that refused to sign Maguire last season on Jose request.

We are well wise
And gave in to Jose press leaks awarding him an extension that we didn't need to give

MadMike

will they let go him for free?
They don't have a choice. The alternative is to allow him to continue his Spanish holidays until his contract expires in 2022. All the while paying him north of €30m a year.

It's not like the times when Bale was valued at over £100m are ever coming back. Certainly not while he's at Real and just going from treatment table to bench-warming and back again. So what's the point of holding on.

MadMike

Is there any realistic salary amount that you would take him at? Personally, I would take him on a free transfer.
There is no such realistic amount. Because any amount that is realistic for the club, would not be realistic for Bale and his agent when the player has another 3 years on 600k pw. And vice versa.

Gandalf

There is no such realistic amount. Because any amount that is realistic for the club, would not be realistic for Bale and his agent when the player has another 3 years on 600k pw. And vice versa.
It only becomes realistic if Madrid are willing to buy off a chunk of his wages to offset the cost of him moving for a smaller salary. I don't blame Gareth for digging in as this is not a situation of his making so why should he be the one to make all the compromises to facilitate a move? Real want him gone but the onus is on them as the instigators to strike a deal with a club and then make it work for the player.

The worst part of all of this is Zidane caused this with his flounce out after winning the CL last year. Bale actually was coming off a good season with 21 goals in all competitions and a match winning performance in the CL final but clearly was not in the managers plans because he kept getting dropped. Bale was ready to move and said as much in the post match press conference but then the Manager changed and the club wanted him to stay. If he had been on the market last year there would have been far more interest and Zidane would have got his wish, Pretty sure Jose would have been in for him and with his celebrity profile I think Ed would have been more than happy to stump up the cash.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Where did that 600k come from? The highest amount I could find quoted in articles is 350k pounds. Most actually say it's 350k euro.

RedRover

He’ll go to China for nothing, get a big contract (and maybe a big signing fee) and leave after 18 months to come back to the PL once he’s cashed in.

RedRover

How is it clear? He’s said fairly recently he wants to stay and by all accounts his family are settled. I suspect he doesn’t want to go to China but that might be all that’s on the table.

Zidane’s comments are a final attempt to get him away and off the wage bill it seems.