Let’s sign Gareth Bale

Gandalf

Zidane was asked about James today and his response was something like 'he's not here (on tour) and I'm only worried about players that are here).

He's not going to play for real again I reckon
The Spanish press have been kicking around a story of him going to Atleti with Real paying him a bonus to reflect the wage cut he is going to have to take. He was also being pretty heavily linked with Lazio a couple of weeks back.

Gandalf

He's not "struggled". Anyone can learn another language if they try. He has just not bothered which I think speaks very badly of him.
This is not strictly true as he does speak Spanish albeit not terribly well. He has done several interviews in Spanish but he was mocked pretty mercilessly for his accent by the fans and the media and so as a shy and rather easily embarrassed lad he understandably opted not to bother if he was only going to get abuse anyway.

Cliche Guevara

He's not "struggled". Anyone can learn another language if they try. He has just not bothered which I think speaks very badly of him.
There’s no way you couldn’t become fluent in Spanish in two or three months, if you lived and worked there and spoke it every day.

jasT1981

Please no.. His attitude recently has shown he is not a footballer who wants to play for the badge.

Willing to sit out on the bench and do nothing for 3 years at Madrid rather than move to another team with regular football and is only willing to move if he becomes the worlds highest paid footballer.

pushing 30, injury prone and his best days behind him. Would be Sanchez all over again.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
No, as @Ishdalar pointed out, the reason for the tax is to prevent clubs from doing that in the first place
What's the alternative? Promoting unproven youth players to the squad? Their major problem on Asian CL is that the average Chinese player is quite underwhelming, even for Asian standards.

George The Best

Think he’s got finishing his career in the MLS all over him. That’s his comfort zone. English language, fabulous golf courses, great lifestyle. Probably end up with Beckham Rangers, or whatever they are called, when his Madrid contract ends.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Maybe. But someone like Antonio Valencia seemingly never learned English despite playing here for a decade. It didn’t seem to affect his professionalism or commitment.

AFC NimbleThumb

Same criticism could be aimed at our club captain of the past few years. . . but if you speak negatively of Manchester United you get mocked on here so let’s act as if not speaking a language is the issue with Bale whilst we champion our own ‘strugglers’.

The guy is past his best. Struggling to learn Spanish has nothing to do with his legs.

Suvvernmanc

The Spanish press have been kicking around a story of him going to Atleti with Real paying him a bonus to reflect the wage cut he is going to have to take. He was also being pretty heavily linked with Lazio a couple of weeks back.
Decent player. A luxury one though. Hes good enough to play anywhere I think but alot of teams don't play with a #10 these days.

He's not very versatile in that respect. Can't play as a box to box, isn't really a second striker, you wouldn't want him on the wing either.

He played well at Bayern i think yet it was his decision to leave and go back to Real, only to be told he wont be playing for them. Seems a strange thing to do in his position.

Womp

idiot
Please no.. His attitude recently has shown he is not a footballer who wants to play for the badge.

Willing to sit out on the bench and do nothing for 3 years at Madrid rather than move to another team with regular football and is only willing to move if he becomes the worlds highest paid footballer.

pushing 30, injury prone and his best days behind him. Would be Sanchez all over again.
Would be worse than Sanchez. Sanchez seems to have just lost his legs, but the desire is there. Bale has lost both.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
What's the alternative? Promoting unproven youth players to the squad? Their major problem on Asian CL is that the average Chinese player is quite underwhelming, even for Asian standards.
It's not about what's good or not. The chinese government wants to develop football in china, with chinese players. They'd rather their clubs invest those stupid sums into developing chinese players than signing 4th string europeans, who bring very little to the whole movement

manutddjw

If I was Bale I’d just tell them to do one and stay put. He’s 30 years old and has won the Champions League 3 times, there’s nothing left for him to do. If he’s happy living in Madrid, why not stay and collect an obscene wage for a few years? Any move he could potentially get making what he is now is a downgrade for him.

Eleven-Eighteen

Yes seems that way. Spurs and Bayern were in for him. Im guessing the wages was an issue. But I don’t knock him for that
Jeez. Bayern would have been a pretty sweet destination for him, especially with Robben retiring. Didn't read that anywhere, but if true then Bale should have jumped at it.

Ballist1x

Real wouldn't want Sanchez though.

Why does no one in China want Sanchez either ? :(

Gandalf

Jeez. Bayern would have been a pretty sweet destination for him, especially with Robben retiring. Didn't read that anywhere, but if true then Bale should have jumped at it.
According to everyone connected with Bayern it is not true. Most of the links that have been mentioned seem to be originating from the Madrid media and possibly the club itself, seems to be a fairly transparent attempt to create a market where none exists. I would guess the most likely destination if a deal is to be done would be PSG if Neymar goes if only because they can afford his wages, he would replace some of the star power they lose with Neymar and even if he has declined a little he will still bang in plenty of goals in Ligue 1.

TheRedHearted

There’s no way you couldn’t become fluent in Spanish in two or three months, if you lived and worked there and spoke it every day.
It’s not a diet. You could pick up some lingo and most things related to football but not fluent in the language.
It's not about what's good or not. The chinese government wants to develop football in china, with chinese players. They'd rather their clubs invest those stupid sums into developing chinese players than signing 4th string europeans, who bring very little to the whole movement
They implement a “beautiful” 100 percent tax on all international transfers. Pay 50 million for Bale and 50 million goes into “their” academy. What in the world are they going to build, a VR field where the kids can play against competitive British, European and South America competition? I doubt a large percentage of that money actually goes where it’s meant to. The rest is the governments to gobble up. I’m guessing the academy is government ran.

Tel074

I would take Bale in a heart beat . One of the very few absolute top players in the world to me it's a no brainer

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Says a lot when after he scored Madrid's first goal today in the Arsenal friendly, only one teammate came over to congratulate him. Also read somewhere that he once threw a party and the only teammate to show up was Modric. Must suck to be such an outcast. While Valencia might have never bothered to learn English, at least he had Spanish speaking pals like Mata, Herrera and De Gea.

quackattack

Says a lot when after he scored Madrid's first goal today in the Arsenal friendly, only one teammate came over to congratulate him. Also read somewhere that he once threw a party and the only teammate to show up was Modric. Must suck to be such an outcast. While Valencia might have never bothered to learn English, at least he had Spanish speaking pals like Mata, Herrera and De Gea.
Chances are he didn't put up a real effort getting along with the Spanish bunch (or he severely lacks social skills). (Also, Rojo and Romero wants to be Valencias friends:P)

Alek M

Da manic one
Please trade him for Alexis. Or even Martial.

Bale delivers. He runs his heart out. Has the finishing product that Martial doesn't have.

I would not pay money for him and put him on 200k wages. But he would be great bridge and tutor for iur young wings.

Imagine him on one wing, Rashford on the other and Ibra in the middle

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

Bale delivers. He runs his heart out. Has the finishing product that Martial doesn't have.

I would not pay money for him and put him on 200k wages. But he would be great bridge and tutor for iur young wings.

I'm sure Bale would jump at the chance of taking a £400K a week pay cut to act as a tutor for Jesse Lingard.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Ibra :lol: ?

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands

Bale is not going to be on 200k wages wherever he is.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Valencia could speak some English. He just wouldn't do it in public.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
Or maybe you're just reading and believing what you want? Maybe he didn't even invite anyone else? Sign language doesn't help for sure.

Didn't Alexis play his best ever games before joining United? Didn't he become an actor afterwards? It's the same story here. He was basically a golfer, but last night he put in a defensive shift that he had never done, even in a CL final, that says it all. Because he was playing for Gareth Bale last night, unlike almost every match before it (or after, depending on how soon it gets resolved).

Gandalf

Or maybe you're just reading and believing what you want? Maybe he didn't even invite anyone else? Sign language doesn't help for sure.

Didn't Alexis play his best ever games before joining United? Didn't he become an actor afterwards? It's the same story here. He was basically a golfer, but last night he put in a defensive shift that he had never done, even in a CL final, that says it all. Because he was playing for Gareth Bale last night, unlike almost every match before it (or after, depending on how soon it gets resolved).
I know you are a Madrid fan but that bolded section is utter bollocks. It might be that he has not put in as much defensive work in recent seasons but his willingness to track back, cover and do the dirty work was a trademark of his game at Tottenham and certainly was still in evidence in his first few seasons at Real.

Untd55

Maybe. But someone like Antonio Valencia seemingly never learned English despite playing here for a decade. It didn’t seem to affect his professionalism or commitment.
Antonio Valencia is a great example of fans making assumptions. Valencia can actually speak it fluently. I bet Bale can speak fluent Spanish, but likely the fans are making stuff up again.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the power is with Bale, but I think Real Madrid really need to loan him out this summer. They are already going to need to pay a significant portion of his wages, but if they leave it until next summer (after playing no games), they are going to have to pay an even greater proportion of his wages if they send him on loan.

I wouldn't be against loaning Bale if we were paying £150k-£200k per week. I would rather that than signing nobody else for next season.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
I know you are a Madrid fan but that bolded section is utter bollocks. It might be that he has not put in as much defensive work in recent seasons but his willingness to track back, cover and do the dirty work was a trademark of his game at Tottenham and certainly was still in evidence in his first few seasons at Real.
You might as well recall his days at LB and call it day.

He did a bit of defending as well in his first season or in some of the more important games, but last night he did it to an extent that he had never done in a Madrid shirt, and did that in a super pointless preseason game, why? Because he was playing for Gareth Bale, he's not going to do even half of that during the season, you know the actual matches.