Let's all laugh at England

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Our fans saying the English are arrogant, when one of our most famous banners is "not arrogant, just better". :lol: The reality is glaring at you, ladies and gents.

What some of you think of the England fans is what the majority of football fans see you as a Manchester United fan.
we don’t trash the place or go full racist when we lose. It’s very different. United fans travel all over every month during the season and there’s rarely hassle unless opposition fans want to start.

lsd

The Oracle
Bollocks. I've seen countless threads about the refs, the FA, the media, the PL, everyone being ABU and how we are "hated, adored, never ignored". We definitely do cry about it.

Ahh but who are the ones who cry about it and can't see why other fans laugh at us ?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
:lol:

I am enjoying cos the thread isn`t laughing at England , it is full of people having digs about three lions, easy fixtures, home games, dodgy decisions. Come on mate , where is all the laughing?
That’s football! Imagine if it was the scousers in a CL final, it would be the exact same, there would definitely be a very similar themed thread with the exact same comments. Liverpool had pretty much won the league when COVID stalled things, yet there was still an asterisk next to their name.

fwi W this is a really exciting time for England fans, the team is young and insanely talented, and they just got to a final. But as long as their hands aren’t on the trophy, there will still be plenty of banter. I’s the way of football

fergosaurus

I've enjoyed reading this thread. No one is really in a position to laugh at England's loss unless Italian as they earned the right. Anyone else comes across as jealous and bitter which gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. I enjoyed the game and am really happy at the progress we have made, 2 semi-finals and a final in the last 3 tournaments. The unbridled hatred it attracts is just an added bonus, a bit like being a United fan under Ferguson.

The Hilton

It’s like having a chat with a broken record.

here’s some coming home singing for you see as you speak for all fans, I love the sense of irony and self depreciating in their voices
It really is, you keep coming up with videos of a handful of idiots that nobody defends and trying to tar the entire England fanbase with the same brush.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
It was a deserved outcome imo.

From the "it's coming home" chants, getting one of the easiest routes while playing the majority of games at home and even asking for Monday to be a holiday to celebrate the European win before the game even started. All of that showed a lack of respect for a team like Italy that made more than enough to be considered a serious challenger for the title.

I suspect that after all that bs, most neutrals are actually happy with this result. I am at least
Why did the song 3 lions bother you so much?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It really is, you keep coming up with videos of a handful of idiots that nobody defends and trying to tar the entire England fanbase with the same brush.
Handful? They’ve boo’d taking the knee and other national anthems all tournament. Let’s not go with the ‘handful’ route and try to brush it under the carpet

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
What's sarcastic about you telling him to bore off? Not sure you understand sarcasm.

On both sides of this, you're the only poster that's replied with bitterness, made things personal and resorted to childish name calling. You've also been spouting shite about England on a largely English forum for the last 2 weeks and now think we're the ones with the problem? Have a look in the mirror.

You're on ignore now, so don't bother responding.
Guess you won’t see this then...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DoomSlayer

Ahh but who are the ones who cry about it and can't see why other fans laugh at us ?
You should have started the sentence with "riddle me this". I can't grasp this high level of expert use of the English language.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Re the endless accusations of arrogance thrown at the English, this thread is interesting in that it demonstrates how in reality the arrogance is on the part of the ABE brigade.
Think you're mistaking schadenfreude for arrogance.

Classical Mechanic

Wait, i don't get it. So you mean because there are 600k italians living in England, that England is the best place to host a tournament like this or what was the point? Do you even know how many foreigners live in other countries? Without checking the facts, i would bet there are more in France and Germany.
Only Paris in Europe is a City comparable to London in terms of internationalism. The point being that having it in such a City under these conditions means that there is more opportunity for fans of other nations to get to the game with travel restrictions. As it happens I'm pretty sure that Paris didn't put in a bid in. Again though, the semi-final and final were always scheduled to take place in London. Our round of 16 was scheduled for Ireland but they pulled out and our quarter final was in Italy.

DoomSlayer

this is up to 2017? And all this really shows me is that we are actually serious about policing it. You honestly think there would only be 15 arrests at Millwall if they were actually serious about policing it? Please :lol:
All it shows you are talking BS and saving face. Be realistic please and look at yourself in the mirror.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I don’t wan’t to get into a Manchester United vs England supporter argument, but the capacity of the Liberty is 20k, Old Trafford is like 75k right? Now tally up the number difference over 4 years in terms of attendances.

Not saying there aren’t problems that need to be stamped out, but as a season ticket holder in domestic English football, I can assure you the level of carnage is nowhere near what we saw last night.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
That's because you don't get it. Which is fine, but it's a cultural difference that you're struggling with. It's like how English people can struggle with how matter of fact French people can be.

It's coming home is a joke, based on us knowing that it isn't, but that we get to dream for a bit. You don't understand the joke, and so perceive it as arrogance. However, it's been explained repeatedly by multiple people in this thread that its self deprecating, even when you think it isn't, so sticking to your perception would involve knowing English football culture better than English football fans do, which would, ironically, be quite arrogant of you.
I get the joke and its self-deprecating nature. The song is originally from before the 1996 Euros as well and you had just not even qualified for the World Cup, so clearly not a hint of arrogance in its origin.

What rubs people the wrong way is the Home reference, not the winning part. Strictly correct yeah, it's probably one of the greatest positive contributions from the Empire that it spread the sport far and wide but the reactions it elicits are:

1) It isn't yours any more, sorry, it's global, it's everyone's, now go piss off with that Home shit.

2) Much like the FA chastised United for joining the EC, they actively avoided the World Cup until 1950 as if it were a lesser competition for football neanderthals/nobodies. Then they show up and get beaten at soccer by the USofA :lol:

3) I don't have an empire chip on my shoulder, but I would hazard a guess that claiming something as yours (regardless of intent, that's how it comes across) over a century later doesn't sit well with anyone who does.

Can you see how people from other cultures/nationalities could quite easily interpret it that way?

Of course 2 isn't England's fault but that of a certain type (FA authorities) which continue to piss people off to this day, foreign or English. Three is a very specific scenario, doesn't explain the Italians taking issue with it. #1 is universal though.

Classical Mechanic

Sorry but this is extremely arrogant and simply not true considering covid situation, double standards for vips, very difficult situation for foreign fans to come and not get quarantined and now add to that lack of safety. For the health crisis alone, there were countries better placed to host the final and seamlessly allow foreign fans in.
Which countries and we're they even asking to take the final?

Ali Dia

I don’t wan’t to get into a Manchester United vs England supporter argument, but the capacity of the Liberty is 20k, Old Trafford is like 75k right? Now tally up the number difference over 4 years in terms of attendances.

Not saying there aren’t problems that need to be stamped out, but as a season ticket holder in domestic English football, I can assure you the level of carnage is nowhere near what we saw last night.
Exactly. He’s throwing his toys out of the pram here big time. 15 arrests at Millwall in the same time span in their smaller stadium? United have majorly cracked down on this kind of shit. Too right too.

27 arrests out of how many million spectators over those years?

djembatheking

That’s football! Imagine if it was the scousers in a CL final, it would be the exact same, there would definitely be a very similar themed thread with the exact same comments. Liverpool had pretty much won the league when COVID stalled things, yet there was still an asterisk next to their name.

fwi W this is a really exciting time for England fans, the team is young and insanely talented, and they just got to a final. But as long as their hands aren’t on the trophy, there will still be plenty of banter. I’s the way of football
Come on mate, three lions is a song about things going tits up, fixtures and venues were determined by winning the group and decisions are made by refs and VAR . This thread is about laughing at England so we should be seeing pics of Rashfords shit pen, Saka crying or gifs of fans or full kit wankers . Funny stuff surely.

The Hilton

Handful? They’ve boo’d taking the knee and other national anthems all tournament. Let’s not go with the ‘handful’ route and try to brush it under the carpet
Well for starters the boos were drowned out by cheers. Not to mention that half the countries taking part didn't take the knee, so that's not really a good avenue of attack.

And it really is a handful, the vast majority of fans saying "It's coming home", which is what I've been specifically referring to in this threat, are doing so ironically. As with all fanbases, we have our share of idiots and morons, but it's a stretch to say England's dregs are any worse than the dregs around Europe.

DoomSlayer

Exactly. He’s throwing his toys out of the pram here big time. 15 arrests at Millwall in the same time span in their smaller stadium? United have majorly cracked down on this kind of shit.
Is that why Marcus Rashford is the second most abused athlete on social media, after Lebron James? How many times after bad defeats in the league or cups have we heard Rashford, Lingard, AWB, Pogba or someone else being racially abused on social media by United fans?

You're just a hypocrite.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I feel that I've replied to you a couple times in the last week, and it's probably because you're a poster where I've always valued your posts and I think you have a good insight on things, and you're a talented guy. And I have no idea how the same person can come out with the bolded

Regarding the bolded, I've been told my national identity is solely based on my country's relationship. to England, that there is no culture, no traditions, without England. That my country is only an extension of England, that we are bitter because England is a superior country. We are England B.

I have seen Irish fans told to get over their anger at the British empire, I have seen Indian fans asked how they personally have been affected by the British empire and why are they complaining (in a thread discussing colonialism) I have seen justifications for a Danish dad being physically attacked in front of his kid. Why Southgate was smart to bring in world war 2 to the discussion after beating Germany, I have seen German posters called Krauts (albeit hilariously misspelt) in this very fecking thread!

If you genuinely believe the bolded then I hope you've just not been very active the past couple weeks and you're not just ignoring what's been posted recently (that is of course the stuff not aimed at England)
In fairness I haven’t been on that much, and hadn’t seen any of that shit, which is deplorable and embarrassing, so if that’s the case, fair cop… but by the same token I hope you can also understand why having just got back from a gutting defeat, which I attended with my 73 year old dad, whose recovering from a stroke, and almost certainly the last tournament I’ll attend with him after nearly 20 years of doing so, and absolutely heartbroken at missing the only chance we’ll get to see us win something together, I was in a pretty emotional state, and logging on to see how I’m scum and deserve to feel shit because of a plethora of reasons ranging from reasonable to not, was a bit affecting… yeah, it probably did “rattle” me, to be perfectly honest.

It’s all very well saying “well we weren’t talking about YOU” but… you kind of are. I am one of those fans, and it’s a fairly weird position sometimes being a left wing England fan who largely agrees with our villainous status in the world, as we’re just kind of expected to never take any joy from anything … you have to be perpetually self deprecating otherwise you’re arrogant, any kind of normal football fan behaviour is suddenly
unforgivable hubris, and you can’t even enjoy your stupid little self depreciating song because we’ve decided it’s actually also arrogant, even if it isn’t, because we feel that way so you have to accept that (an attitude that would be an amazingly affective ironic ‘bit’ about the attitude of a lot of English people to foreign things they don’t get - if I didn’t feel it was absolutely not that at all, and just doubling down)….and that’s the reasonable stuff.

Look, 85% of this thread is fine, I’m fine with banter and memes and shit…but there’s obviously stuff in here that isn’t that, which is apparently completely excusable because England fans have also been pricks…. You’re well within your rights to enjoy a laugh at our expense, and if you feel a genuine spite towards English people is warranted in return for stuff you’ve received (or historical animosity) than fair play… but I hope you’ll allow me the same agency to feel there are some posters I now consider to be pricks, by the same token?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
There is way too much talent in this England squad for them to simply fade into oblivion. They're young and hungry and will be all the more determined after missing out on penalties.

England got through the entire tournament without losing a single game, which is quite an achievement considering past major tournaments where we almost always fell apart. This England side is different, you can't deny that.
Agree, you can only beat what's put in front of you and they did. Lest we forget, most of these kids won the U20 World Cup very recently.

Future is bright but, as I said before the game, there's a very real danger they get crushed by the weight of expectation.

I can't think of a worse environment to have a penalty shootout than at Wembley, packed with England fans, after all the hoo-hah of the last week. I've no idea what possessed Southgate not to go all out for the win. Feck Sancho and Grealish' mop, stick Rashford in there instead of Saka and I reckon Italy were there for the taking.

Last edited:

The Hilton

Guess you won’t see this then...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You really have shown yourself to be no better than the "arrogant" fans you hate.

Like I said before, hate England all you like, laugh that we lost the final, enjoy it, but at least be man enough to be honest about why.

Ali Dia

Is that why Marcus Rashford is the second most abused athlete on social media, after Lebron James? How many times after bad defeats in the league or cups have we heard Rashford, Lingard, AWB or someone else being racially abused on social media by United fans?

You're just a hypocrite.
Dude, you don’t know me from Adam? You’re Croatian or something right? Why are you coming on here telling someone you don’t know what they are or aren’t? I couldn’t be any further from tolerant of racism if I tried. You pulled this absolute shit on me in the Rashford thread during the season too. England clearly has a problem with racism. What’s that got to do with me? I’m Irish ffs :lol:

United crack down on this stuff and the arrests are slightly higher in the biggest stadium in the league? So what? More power to the club. Ban all the racists. We’ll be a better club for it.

DoomSlayer

You’re Croatian or something right?
How very arrogant of you to just assume and make such a brushing statement, as if getting my nationality right is beneath you, when it's visible right there on my profile. :nono:

And the racism on social media is international. I've seen all types of people say nasty racist things. So I'm talking about Manchester United fans in a global aspect, not just domestically. I say our fanbase has big problems, racism being one of them.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I've enjoyed reading this thread. No one is really in a position to laugh at England's loss unless Italian as they earned the right. Anyone else comes across as jealous and bitter which gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. I enjoyed the game and am really happy at the progress we have made, 2 semi-finals and a final in the last 3 tournaments. The unbridled hatred it attracts is just an added bonus, a bit like being a United fan under Ferguson.
Yeah I can see you're warm and fuzzy inside. So warm and fuzzy you even compared this to being a United fan under Sir Alex winning million trophies.

Status
Not open for further replies.